PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana Possession

AmsterBison
February 24th, 2009, 04:33 PM
One of our backup QBs at NDSU pleaded guilty to marijuana possession leading to the question in the Bison community of whether he should get kicked off the team or not.

Have other teams run into this before and what did they do?

MplsBison
February 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I have a hard time believing that it will make a difference one way or another.

Mertens will start and Moehler will back up with the freshman coming in the fall to run the scout team.

Monarch History
February 24th, 2009, 05:07 PM
That's an easy answer, what does the school's and athletic department's policy say about possession?

saccat
February 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Here at Montana State...We had a couple guys that were arrested for possession. They also were arrested for murder. And they were both kicked off the team.

TCisMYhero
February 24th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Johnny Gray (All-American) and Victor Williams were gone last year for pot related crimes. Victor's was the same, but Johnny was (possibly still is?) selling.

Thundar
February 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Here at Montana State...We had a couple guys that were arrested for possession. They also were arrested for murder. And they were both kicked off the team.

well thats a little more serious than maryjane possesion, i should hope they were kicked off the team

PantherRob82
February 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM
If they are using marijuana they definitely aren't giving their all.

MplsBison
February 24th, 2009, 07:10 PM
well thats a little more serious than maryjane possesion, i should hope they were kicked off the team

lol no kidding.

Uh, yeah, he got a minor in posession...and he stabbed like 8 people. I guess they had to kick him off the team?

CrazyCat
February 24th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Both of those idiots were kicked off their respective teams before the murder, thats why all the headlines were titled "ex-Montana State players charged with murder."

BEAR
February 24th, 2009, 07:42 PM

Bad choice by the coach. Football needs players with that killer instinct. xnodxxrolleyesx

Thundar
February 24th, 2009, 08:03 PM
Both of those idiots were kicked off their respective teams before the murder, thats why all the headlines were titled "ex-Montana State players charged with murder."

relax, just thought the way the quote was worded is funnyxpeacex

CrazyCat
February 24th, 2009, 08:26 PM
relax, just thought the way the quote was worded is funnyxpeacex

I'm very relaxed xthumbsupx Anybody got some cheetos.:D

spoogemcgee18
February 24th, 2009, 08:38 PM

I know. Michael Phelps definitely wasn't giving it his all when he won EIGHT GOLD MEDALS at the Olympics.

Monarch History
February 24th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I know. Michael Phelps definitely wasn't giving it his all when he won EIGHT GOLD MEDALS at the Olympics.

If Phelps was using during the Olympics it would have been picked up in routine drug testing.

BEAR
February 24th, 2009, 08:50 PM
That's random drug testing...not routine...and not on the golden boy who is multiplying your ratngs for the first time since 1992....;)

Montanan
February 24th, 2009, 09:18 PM
in many of Phelp's interviews he mentioned having just come from or was on his way to testing. all medalists undergo mandatory testing.

ngineer
February 24th, 2009, 10:21 PM

....yes, they were just making a 'token' effort. ;) Coaches also thought their interest was 'doobie'-ous. :D

JBB
February 25th, 2009, 12:00 AM
The kid was from California, I think, and they have more legal medical marijuana outlets in San Francisco than they do Starbucks. How was he supposed to know without being properly educated? Probably has a problem with depression or chronic headaches like all the other folks out there. Thats why they need so many dispensaries.

I think the State is actually at fault. They should be educating all the folks that move into North Dakota about these sorts of things shouldnt they? xnonox

ngineer
February 25th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Coaches probably heard him talking about 'rolling a joint' and thought he had an ankle sprain..xrolleyesx

DLS
February 25th, 2009, 07:54 AM
ummm its just weed. id rather him be caught smoking than drinking.

physically weed is not nearly as bad for you as alcohol. besides who doesnt smoke a little pot from time to time.

OSBF
February 25th, 2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure being kicked off the team is necessary, but there needs to be something so that the Coach and AD can at least look like the took a stand. Say, for example he doesn't dress/travel for the first 2/3 games?

Last year we had a weird situation with our men's basketball team. 2 kids got DUI's, then one of them followed that up with a driving on a suspended, and nothing was ever said about it by anyone in the athletic department and neither missed one second of court time. Then latter on in the season kid had a flat tire on the way to practice and was late, and he had to sit the first 1/2 of the next game. So the message was sent loud and clear that at ISU, DUI'S are OK, but flat tires are not cool.

JayJ79
February 25th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure being kicked off the team is necessary, but there needs to be something so that the Coach and AD can at least look like the took a stand. Say, for example he doesn't dress/travel for the first 2/3 games?

Last year we had a weird situation with our men's basketball team. 2 kids got DUI's, then one of them followed that up with a driving on a suspended, and nothing was ever said about it by anyone in the athletic department and neither missed one second of court time. Then latter on in the season kid had a flat tire on the way to practice and was late, and he had to sit the first 1/2 of the next game. So the message was sent loud and clear that at ISU, DUI'S are OK, but flat tires are not cool.

That is an example of how stupid our laws are.
Smoking pot is not a GOOD thing (nor is smoking cigs, drinking alcohol, or hell, even drinking soda). But you're not endangering other people.

Drunk driving endangers everyone else on the road!
Punishment for DUI's should be far more severe than punishment for smoking pot.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Agreed.

Lower the drinking age to 18 and increase DUI punishment to mandatory jail time and huge fines plus at least 2 years no license.

LeopardFan04
February 25th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Agreed.

Lower the drinking age to 18 and increase DUI punishment to mandatory jail time and huge fines plus at least 2 years no license.

I know we differ on many other things, but I'm in full agreement with you on this. xthumbsupx

MaximumBobcat
February 25th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I applaud this young man for his choice of using of a less dangerous, less addictive, and less physically harmful substance than the other social drug of choice (alcohol) that the majority of college football players partake in.

:p :p :p

But seriously. xthumbsupx

AmsterBison
February 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Agreed.

It's weird that they take away the drivers license - should take away their ability to buy booze too.

JBB
February 25th, 2009, 06:56 PM
No way Mnpls. Keep the drinking age at 21. You can not have 18 year old kids driving around, talking on cell phones and drinking legally. Minnesota did that and it lasted how long? 2 years maybe and that was before cell phones. Its fine just the way it is.

Jacksons pot problem is something on the order of a routine disciplinary action. On a deal like this its the second time where you lose big. Just like a DUI. xrulesx

bisonguy
February 25th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Well, it looks like he has a two game suspension in addition to his fines/etc.

Justice served?

griz8791
February 25th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Revoking their licenses has to be part of the solution but unfortunately it doesn't stop them from driving. As if that isn't bad enough, frequently they never had insurance to begin with and if they ever did have it they have lost it because of their run-ins with the DUI system. Telling the sort of guy who gets to his 3rd DUI and above that he can't drive drunk, drive without a license, or drive without insurance doesn't stop him because he just doesn't go through life weighing pros and cons before he acts.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
No way Mnpls. Keep the drinking age at 21. You can not have 18 year old kids driving around, talking on cell phones and drinking legally. Minnesota did that and it lasted how long? 2 years maybe and that was before cell phones. Its fine just the way it is.

Jacksons pot problem is something on the order of a routine disciplinary action. On a deal like this its the second time where you lose big. Just like a DUI. xrulesx

There's no reason that an 18 year shouldn't be allowed to get a drink.

We just need to really discourage people, of all ages, to stay off the roads after they've had too many.

MplsBison
February 25th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Revoking their licenses has to be part of the solution but unfortunately it doesn't stop them from driving. As if that isn't bad enough, frequently they never had insurance to begin with and if they ever did have it they have lost it because of their run-ins with the DUI system. Telling the sort of guy who gets to his 3rd DUI and above that he can't drive drunk, drive without a license, or drive without insurance doesn't stop him because he just doesn't go through life weighing pros and cons before he acts.

That's why there needs to be jail time and huge fines involved, like $10k to start out with.

We love our alcohol and our cars in the country. Unfortunately, the ***** just don't mix.

coover
February 26th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Smoking pot is not a GOOD thing... But you're not endangering other people.

I'm not commenting on the moral or legal situation here, or even if the coach should suspend or release the athlete, but ... Since when is it safe to smoke pot, get high, and drive?

AppMan
February 26th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Smoking pot is not a GOOD thing (nor is smoking cigs, drinking alcohol, or hell, even drinking soda). But you're not endangering other people.

Drunk driving endangers everyone else on the road!
Punishment for DUI's should be far more severe than punishment for smoking pot.

You have to be kidding! Ever seen someone high try to walk across the room? IMO, they are one in the same. Underage drinking, possession of pot, and driving under the influence are all AGAINST THE LAW!

clenz
February 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM
ummm its just weed. id rather him be caught smoking than drinking.

physically weed is not nearly as bad for you as alcohol. besides who doesnt smoke a little pot from time to time.

I don't....

JackTwice
February 26th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I don't....

gotta say I never have either. I did start drinking at 14 though. The part that scares me the most now that I look back on it is that I never worried about driving drunk until I hit 19 or 20.

BEAR
February 26th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I don't....

xhurrayxxhurrayx

JayJ79
February 27th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I'm not commenting on the moral or legal situation here, or even if the coach should suspend or release the athlete, but ... Since when is it safe to smoke pot, get high, and drive?

Not saying that it is.
Driving under the influence of marijuana is just as bad as driving under the influence of alcohol.

But was this guy busted for DRIVING while high, or just for being in possession of pot?

jmufan999
February 27th, 2009, 09:06 AM

that's a nice blanket statement.

and people who drink alcohol are all alcoholics, every single one.

pantherbacker
February 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM
legalize it

bisonguy
February 27th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Not saying that it is.
Driving under the influence of marijuana is just as bad as driving under the influence of alcohol.

But was this guy busted for DRIVING while high, or just for being in possession of pot?

Possession. The police officer thought he smelled marijuana and asked if he could search the car. The student-athlete gave him permission and he found him in possession.

Here's the somewhat official version-http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/232282/

1.2 grams is a pretty miniscule amount.

Jackson was stopped on the NDSU campus Feb. 2 for going 27 mph in a 15-mph zone. The officer caught a strong whiff of weed when Jackson rolled down the window. Jackson gave permission for the officer to search the car, and a plastic bag containing 1.2 grams of marijuana was found.

Jackson pleaded guilty Feb. 20 to marijuana possession. Because the pot was in his car, Jackson was charged with a Class A misdemeanor. If Jackson had been caught outside a vehicle, it would have been a Class B misdemeanor (equal to, let’s say, a minor in possession of alcohol).

Jackson had no prior criminal history, the state’s attorney’s office said.

The court deferred Jackson’s sentence for a year, meaning if he keeps his nose clean the marijuana possession will disappear. Jackson was charged $300 in court fees, which he paid.

Woody Hayes
February 27th, 2009, 11:07 PM
The almighty Bison have a crack in the armor! I wonder if this guy said, "Dude, I am a QB at NDSU. We have won 8 DII National Championships that means a lot. I should be let go."

Tribe4SF
February 28th, 2009, 09:35 AM
that's a nice blanket statement.

and people who drink alcohol are all alcoholics, every single one.

John Underwood's research has clearly established the detrimental, residual impact of both alcohol and marijuana use on training and performance of athletes.

http://www.americanathleticinstitute.org/about/john-underwood.html

JayJ79
February 28th, 2009, 10:21 AM
John Underwood's research has clearly established the detrimental, residual impact of both alcohol and marijuana use on training and performance of athletes.

http://www.americanathleticinstitute.org/about/john-underwood.html

so why not punish/suspend players that are caught with alcohol too? (even if they are over 21)

Thundar
February 28th, 2009, 11:00 AM
so why not punish/suspend players that are caught with alcohol too? (even if they are over 21)

I agree where do your draw the line on punishment??

This point is being talked about heavily around the area, Its a Class A Mis, minor in Possesion is a Class B Mis shouldn't they be treated the same! but its hard to punish someone who is 21 for alcohol, as it is legal for most of the team, but Mj is ILLEGAL for ALL of the team!!

Thundar
February 28th, 2009, 11:02 AM
The almighty Bison have a crack in the armor! I wonder if this guy said, "Dude, I am a QB at NDSU. We have won 8 DII National Championships that means a lot. I should be let go."

Go figure! try to have a rationale/serious conversation and someone from somewhere comes up with this.xnonoxxoopsx

MplsBison
February 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I agree where do your draw the line on punishment??

This point is being talked about heavily around the area, Its a Class A Mis, minor in Possesion is a Class B Mis shouldn't they be treated the same! but its hard to punish someone who is 21 for alcohol, as it is legal for most of the team, but Mj is ILLEGAL for ALL of the team!!

Yeah but at some point even if it is legal, is it helping the team?

You have the rest of your life to party, football is only 4-5 years.

KiddBrewer
February 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM

ummmmxcoffeex.....its pot. not coke.

KiddBrewer
February 28th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah but at some point even if it is legal, is it helping the team?

You have the rest of your life to party, football is only 4-5 years.

i argee, its not "helping" the team...but one would be VERY ignorant to believe that these players, even at the top notch programs, and players of high stature (not gonna name any names) sit at home on the weekends studying and dont do stuff that people in the general college setting are doing, whether that be drinking, going to the clubs, acting a fool, etc. its not nearly as peachy as some would like to believe. the difference is some get caught, and some dont. xreadxxcoffeex

KiddBrewer
February 28th, 2009, 01:33 PM
fact is, in summary, if all the players on our teams (yours and mine) were kicked off for things they do that are at this level of significance and above.......the lineups would be MUCH different on saturday afternoons.

MplsBison
February 28th, 2009, 02:48 PM
i argee, its not "helping" the team...but one would be VERY ignorant to believe that these players, even at the top notch programs, and players of high stature (not gonna name any names) sit at home on the weekends studying and dont do stuff that people in the general college setting are doing, whether that be drinking, going to the clubs, acting a fool, etc. its not nearly as peachy as some would like to believe. the difference is some get caught, and some dont. xreadxxcoffeex

And some get caught and it gets swept under the rug.

IE, if Tim Tebow gets caught with weed, you don't think Urban Meyer can make that front page story disappear?

clenz
February 28th, 2009, 02:56 PM
And some get caught and it gets swept under the rug.

IE, if Tim Tebow gets caught with weed, you don't think Urban Meyer can make that front page story disappear?
No. Tim Tebow gets caught smoking weed? You thought Phelps was big news, it would be nothing compared to Tebow.

Husky Alum
March 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
We have a "new" marijuana law in Massachusetts.

We approved (By binding referendum in November) a statewide measure decriminalizing the possession of small amounts of marijuana. Anyone caught with an ounce or less of marijuana will owe a $100 civil fine instead of ending up with an arrest record and possibly facing jail time.

Basically they put a tax on pot possession of an ounce (I think or less).