PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Touches Added to Cowell Stadium

UNHWildCats
November 23rd, 2005, 11:49 PM
Durham — GREEN GRASS. Clean glass.

Those are two of the sights ESPN2 cameras will catch at the new and improved Mooradian Field at Cowell Stadium on Saturday when Colgate comes to visit No. 1 seed New Hampshire in a first-round game in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs.

Oh, the main show for television and what should be a good and rocking crowd will be quarterback Ricky Santos and wide receiver David Ball and the TV guys will be trying to figure out if Colgate can slow the Wildcats down enough to pull an upset. But the turf and press box glass are behind-the-scenes stories.

Full Story http://theunionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=UNH%20Notebook:%20Cowell%20s pruced%20up%20for%20Saturday&articleId=76586568-925b-4d9c-b29a-a02b67ca977d

UNH 1999
November 24th, 2005, 08:20 AM
it's nice that they added some glass to the press box as well as some new grass. BUT, i really hope UNH can make a nice run in the playoffs to spur some interest in a NEW FACILITY. If we're going to be a top team in D1-AA football we need a facility equal to that hockey has in the Whit. That is something I'd definetely donate some $$$ to.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Maybe it would have been easier to just blow that press box up? A fellow writer and I wer laughing about the changes on Monday night and noting that enclosing the press box came about 11 years too late for us.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 24th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Can't blow it up yet Mr. C! No matter what the enhancement project's scope is, there HAS to be a new press box! No sense wasting too much money now.

Would you like to donate some TNT for the eventual implosion? I can probably wrangle an invite to the festivities for you!!

BTW, that wonderful green grass at Cowell is covered with a fresh layer of snow based on looking out my window in CT and news reports on NECN.

txstatebobcat
November 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I remember reading that the grass is just a few weeks old. Hopefully nothing will happen like the disaster at Chatanooga last year.

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2005, 03:18 PM
it's nice that they added some glass to the press box as well as some new grass. BUT, i really hope UNH can make a nice run in the playoffs to spur some interest in a NEW FACILITY. If we're going to be a top team in D1-AA football we need a facility equal to that hockey has in the Whit. That is something I'd definetely donate some $$$ to.

They've already begun plans for a new stadium. I'd expect fundraising will begin sometime in early 2006, so get your checkbook ready :hurray:

Mr. C
November 24th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Can't blow it up yet Mr. C! No matter what the enhancement project's scope is, there HAS to be a new press box! No sense wasting too much money now.

Would you like to donate some TNT for the eventual implosion? I can probably wrangle an invite to the festivities for you!!

BTW, that wonderful green grass at Cowell is covered with a fresh layer of snow based on looking out my window in CT and news reports on NECN.
I loved going to Durham, N.H. (particularly that lobster I ate for dinner). Just didn't like that press box.

If I'd had any spare TNT lying around, I'd gladly donate it to the cause. Maybe we could televise the destruction on CSTV?

grizbeer
November 24th, 2005, 05:11 PM
It sounds like for the last year or so people in NH have gotten behind the football program. It is nice to see an AD that is proactive (getting the grass and press box fixed) before the complaints come.

Montana played for many years in a terrible, "temporary" stadium before WA-Griz came along, and things haven't been the same since. Sounds like NH is heading down the same path, and it is great to see another I-AA school stepping up facilities with the fan support.

Good luck and Congrats to the UNH program.

89Hen
November 24th, 2005, 09:38 PM
They've already begun plans for a new stadium. I'd expect fundraising will begin sometime in early 2006
Excellent news! I'd love to see ALL the A10 schools upgrade their facilities. Their players and fans deserve it. :hurray:

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
I remember reading that the grass is just a few weeks old. Hopefully nothing will happen like the disaster at Chatanooga last year.

They've played two games on the new grass without incident.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 24th, 2005, 09:57 PM
They've already begun plans for a new stadium. I'd expect fundraising will begin sometime in early 2006, so get your checkbook ready :hurray:

I've been told that there have been actual architectual plans for an enhancement on the AD's desk for a couple of years now. It's just a matter of raising the money. The state has promised a small sum and possibly could give more once a sufficient interest level was visible. The attendance this year has to help and a big crowd Saturday will help even more!

The Wildcat Athletic Council has been working diligently behind the scenes on the fundraising trail.

UNHWildCats
November 24th, 2005, 10:00 PM
I've been told that there have been actual architectual plans for an enhancement on the AD's desk for a couple of years now. It's just a matter of raising the money. The state has promised a small sum and possibly could give more once a sufficient interest level was visible. The attendance this year has to help and a big crowd Saturday will help even more!

The Wildcat Athletic Council has been working diligently behind the scenes on the fundraising trail.

Once they get going full team it wont be a problem, look at the success they had fundraising for the Whit! they should hit up Robert Kraft for a donation too :-p

colgate13
November 24th, 2005, 10:06 PM
It sounds like for the last year or so people in NH have gotten behind the football program. It is nice to see an AD that is proactive (getting the grass and press box fixed) before the complaints come.

He (Scarano) learned that at Colgate! :p

colgate13
November 24th, 2005, 10:09 PM

we-likey... if this game was in Hamilton though, we'd be in danger of seeing UMass 2003 type weather! :eek:

http://files.wstm.com/seven_day_full.jpg

UNHWILDCATS05
November 24th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Once they get going full team it wont be a problem, look at the success they had fundraising for the Whit! they should hit up Robert Kraft for a donation too :-p

I would love to see a new athletic facility. However, the Whitt was mainly funded by the student body. A "Student Activity Fee" which every student still pays partly goes toward paying off the Whitt. They had to have a student wide vote before they built the Whitt to make sure that students were willing cough up the extra cash. I would think it would have to be the same deal for a new football stadium.

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM
http://www.tnhonline.com/media/paper674/news/2005/11/18/Sports/Unh-Pushes.For.New.Athletic.Complex-1109700.shtml?norewrite&sourcedomain=www.tnhonline.com

UNH 1999
November 25th, 2005, 07:51 AM
is the open space before campus they talk about in the article the field across from the horse barns on the right hand side of the road driving in towards campus? i remember a little UNH sign being all that was there... that would be a prime location.

txstatebobcat
November 25th, 2005, 12:44 PM
They've played two games on the new grass without incident.

Thats good to hear.

wildcat_fan
November 28th, 2005, 06:41 AM
is the open space before campus they talk about in the article the field across from the horse barns on the right hand side of the road driving in towards campus? i remember a little UNH sign being all that was there... that would be a prime location.

I think so. That's the area where everyone tailgates at Homecoming.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
The way the article was worded confused me because it did sound like the facility would be out farther on "Main Street" across from the barns. While I've never seen the infamous plans, every time I've heard them discussed existing Cowell was the location. Talk was about a new home side replacing the HS bleachers on the south side, locker rooms under those stands, an extension of sorts to Lundholm at the NE corner of the current home side for offices/function rooms/weight rooms, field turf, lights, etc.

While I'd love to start from scratch (no track!!!), reality says enhancement to Cowell.