PDA

View Full Version : Montana/App. State talks under way

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 08:10 AM
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/02/22/sports/local/24-grizzlies.txt

Looks like we'll need to pay App. State $350,000 to come out, which they will need to reciprocate of course.

In an effort to toughen up Montana's future schedules and bring more exposure to the Football Championship Subdivision, athletic director Jim O'Day has engaged in talks with his contemporaries at prominent FCS schools about scheduling possibilities.

Notably, O'Day is working to put together a home-and-home with FCS powerhouse Appalachian State.

"Leading into the future we are actively pursuing some opportunities with top FCS teams from east of the Mississippi, including Appalachian State, Richmond and some of those schools," O'Day said recently.

The fourth-year A.D. is in the second year of a four-year term as a member of the FCS playoff selection committee. O'Day serves on the committee with nine others, including the athletic director at Appalachian State, Charlie Cobb.

O'Day and Cobb first contemplated a game between their schools a few years ago. It was "what-if" talk at first. But the discussions, O'Day said, turned serious as the two got to know each other better.

Tribe4SF
February 22nd, 2009, 08:23 AM
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2009/02/22/sports/local/24-grizzlies.txt

It would seem logical that Montana would seek deals with teams wherein both schools could be covered for travel expenses. ASU, Delaware, JMU, and Georgia Southern make sense. They should talk to ODU as well.

SideLine Shooter
February 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm ready, TEE IT UP!!!!!xthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 08:31 AM
We could charge $45-50 bucks for tickets for the Mountaineers and have a standing room only sellout I would bet.

SideLine Shooter
February 22nd, 2009, 08:33 AM
We could charge $45-50 bucks for tickets for the Mountaineers and have a standing room only sellout I would bet.

It could be a great MONEY GAME for both of these schools!!xnodx

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 08:35 AM
We made over $1,000,000 this year for Montana State at $50 a ticket. We could pay App. State $350,000 and still make $650,000.

catamount man
February 22nd, 2009, 08:48 AM
GO GRIZ!!! xthumbsupx

The Moody1
February 22nd, 2009, 08:54 AM
This woud be great as long as the first gme in the series is in Boone.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Thought Montana was not interested in heading "south" early in the season after losing the game to SHSU in 2004 in the "elements"... ;)

Glad to see the Griz trying to get such a deal together. It's good for FCS!

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
I don't think Montana would care where the game is first. The most important factor would be that we would want the game in Montana on an away year for MSU. The fans wouldn't want two $50 games the same year.

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thought Montana was not interested in heading "south" early in the season after losing the game to SHSU in 2004 in the "elements"... ;)

Glad to see the Griz trying to get such a deal together. It's good for FCS!

xlolxxnodx If App. State wants to schedule Montana in Sept. then I would insist on a November date in Montana if I was O'Day. :D

EagleDawg
February 22nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
The weather/heat shouldn't be an issue for the Griz in Sept at Boone. At worst it would be in the low to mid 70's with low humidity. Rain is rain. It's not like you're gonna have a 90 degree day with high humidity. Stadium elevation is over 3,200 feet.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 22nd, 2009, 09:36 AM
I've always wanted an H&H with Montana, but I guess the Griz have already played us 3 times while they have only played ASU once.

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I'm hearing it's an attractive matchup for ESPN. Also I would like to point out that the $350,000 payout makes sense. We got in financial problems scheduling Maine and Hofstra to home and homes. If we can do well at home and get $350,000 away then it makes financial sense. Any school like GSU or Delaware that can pull off that payout is a candidate.

Uncle Buck
February 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm hearing it's an attractive matchup for ESPN. Also I would like to point out that the $350,000 payout makes sense. We got in financial problems scheduling Maine and Hofstra to home and homes. If we can do well at home and get $350,000 away then it makes financial sense. Any school like GSU or Delaware that can pull off that payout is a candidate.

It's a long trip and i think there will not be too many schools who could front the $350K for travel expenses. ASU, UD, JMU, GSU and maybe a couple of others might be the only teams that could pay the money for a team to come in. Maine and Hofstra probably get 25K over the course of a season while the programs above take in a lot more at the gate.

As a football fan, i'd love to see some of these matchups.

Ronbo
February 22nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, that's a pretty good payout for this level. You might find it interesting that we have had some contact with Boise State recently and they offered us $200,000. We of course told them that was out of the question.xlolx

uofmman1122
February 22nd, 2009, 10:47 AM
Holy mother of all that is sacred!!

PLEASE MAKE THIS HAPPEN!!!!!xprayx

Hellgate60
February 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
This was a great thing to wake up to. I hope this happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Uncle Rico's Clan
February 22nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
This would be awesome. I am curious though why this article appears in the Billings Gazette though before the Missoulian or any other source.xconfusedx

CrazyCat
February 22nd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Should be a great game when it happens xthumbsupx

What is with you North Dakota guys? xrotatehx

From the comments in the article

goldstd 2 hours ago
why do the Montana schools continually dodge North Dakota and North Dakota State when they are next door????? For 30 years...because...they would get their butts kicked.

Wildcat80
February 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
Does a game like this only make sense early in the season? A late loss OOC might be a playoff factor. Personally I'd much rather see FCS schools upset an FBS team instead of the possibility of playing a team again in the FCS playoffs. Usually the second game has a different winner.

beauvighn
February 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
If it would be a home and home, why doesn't each school cover their own travel. I agree that TV would probably pick this up. This could defer travel cost if negotiated in the contract.

Touchdown Yosef
February 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Wow, I have been waiting for this for a long time! I cannot wait and if I can find a decent plane ticket I would love to go. I cannot think of an OOC opponent I would rather do a home and home with. I will shoot Charlie Cobb an email with my support!

I will also be the first to offer any and all Montana fans a good NC Brew and maybe some BBQ at my tailgate as long as you will reciprocate on the return trip with some Moose Drool or other Montana beer. I am really excited about this game its just too bad we can't play it during ski season.

SoCon48
February 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM

Looks like we'll need to pay App. State $350,000 to come out, which they will need to reciprocate of course.

Just hope Cobb has sense enough to make Montana come to Boone first.

T-Dog
February 22nd, 2009, 03:03 PM
I remember the 2000 semis in the snow in Mizzoula (wasn't there, but I remember). I believe it was a fade route in OT that won it for the Griz, 19-16. xmadx

grizband
February 22nd, 2009, 03:25 PM
I remember the 2000 semis in the snow in Mizzoula (wasn't there, but I remember). I believe it was a fade route in OT that won it for the Griz, 19-16. xmadx
"And the Grizzlies are going to Chattanooga!" One of my top moments as a Griz fan, that was my freshman year of college. I have been hoping for another game for a few years now, and would love to see this home and home series scheduled.

Grizaholic17
February 22nd, 2009, 04:22 PM
Fat Chance. :(

As the article clearly states, home-and-home games gave the grizzlies a $1 million deficit after maine and albany. And now, with trips to app st. and dealing with all the expenses there, the athletic dept will be too scared, especially in these economic times. I wish app st would just travel here since they would be making bank off their FBS teams that they choose to put their players through. tisk tisk

Green26
February 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Some differences between now and the earlier days of home-on-homes that caused the deficit.

1. UM could plan on less home-and-homes during time of an AS home-and-home. I believe UM had a year in which it played Maine, Hofstra and Sam Houston State, which contributed to the big budget deficit in the athletic department. While UM currently is playing home-and-homes (with more games in Missoula) with Cal Poly and UC-Davis, UM could plan ahead not to have the others occurring in the same years. Of course, that may mean more D-II's and Southern Utahs during the AS years.

2. UM would increase tickets prices for a home AS game. This would allow UM to pay a sizeable fee to AS, if necessary, and still make a good profit. I don't believe UM has ever increased ticket prices for any games other than Homecoming and the Cat game.

3. UM's financial tracking system is much better now than it was during the deficit days, so the athletic department isn't going to think it has more funds than it actually does.

I'm not so sure a neutral site would attract a huge crowd--as it would be too expensive to get there, for one or both team's fans.

mtgrizfan4life
February 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
As for a neutral sight idea. Depends on the sight and the demand. I know for fact FCS fans of whatever program could fly to Vegas, Seattle, CA, SLC, Denver, etc, alot cheaper than flying into Missoula. However, flying out of Missoula to anywere can be costly.

apaladin
February 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
As for a neutral sight idea. Depends on the sight and the demand. I know for fact FCS fans of whatever program could fly to Vegas, Seattle, CA, SLC, Denver, etc, alot cheaper than flying into Missoula. However, flying out of Missoula to anywere can be costly.

I heard that Furman is a possibility, but are insisting on the first game being in Greenville.:D:D:D

SideLine Shooter
February 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
I heard that Furman is a possibility, but are insisting on the first game being in Greenville.:D:D:D

That is a real FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!

already123
February 22nd, 2009, 09:23 PM
Are these talks for this upcoming season or 2010??

already123
February 22nd, 2009, 09:26 PM
Either way, its a great opportunity. It could finally get people off of the UM back about strength of schedule as well as prove, again, that APP St has one the greatest dynasties in Div I history!
Its a win for both sides IMO
But, knowing the Griz they wont schedule the game till 2010 when AE is no longer a Mountaineer lol

Shellin
February 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
Either way, its a great opportunity. It could finally get people off of the UM back about strength of schedule as well as prove, again, that APP St has one the greatest dynasties in Div I history!
But, knowing the Griz they wont schedule the game till 2010 when AE is no longer a Mountaineer lol

I'm fairly confident that both the Griz and Mountaineers have completed their 2009 schedules so it would definitely be 2010 at the earliest.

McNeese75
February 22nd, 2009, 09:57 PM

xrolleyesx My thoughts exactly xlolx

CrazyCat
February 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
Are these talks for this upcoming season or 2010??

The article said the earliest it could happen is 2011

ASU
February 23rd, 2009, 03:35 AM
I am all for it.....it makes sense as long as the first game is in Boone.....heard too many stories over the years from other schools about UM not returning home and home games.
Since App State had almost 33,000 fans at "sold out" games this past year....with the additional sky boxes, clubs seats, and the opening of the 7 story press box stadium building etc. should be a profit making game. Especially if $50 or so was charged for the game.

Hellgate60
February 23rd, 2009, 08:01 AM
I am all for it.....it makes sense as long as the first game is in Boone.....heard too many stories over the years from other schools about UM not returning home and home games.
Since App State had almost 33,000 fans at "sold out" games this past year....with the additional sky boxes, clubs seats, and the opening of the 7 story press box stadium building etc. should be a profit making game. Especially if $50 or so was charged for the game.

If the home and home started in 2011 then I could see the first game being in Montana since the griz-cat game would be in Bozeman that year. I sort would like to have the first game in Montana just to prove to people that Montana doesn't always buyout the the away game in a home and home series.

SoCon48
February 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
If the home and home started in 2011 then I could see the first game being in Montana since the griz-cat game would be in Bozeman that year. I sort would like to have the first game in Montana just to prove to people that Montana doesn't always buyout the the away game in a home and home series.

Can't see App taking that chance unless the buyout was astronomical. But you never know. ASU has proven it can make more money with no risk monetarily/schedule wise playing a lesser level opponent at home.xrulesx

Ronbo
February 23rd, 2009, 08:46 AM

They woudn't dare buy out a series that they charged $50 for the first game and are getting paid $350,000 for the second. Come on. We didn't buy out Cal Poly last season and we didn't buy out Davis this season.

appmaj
February 23rd, 2009, 09:08 AM
This game would be great for FCS football

rob_p469
February 23rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
This woud be great as long as the first gme in the series is in Boone.

Seeing how we won the last head to head matchup between the two schools, I think Montana should get the first home game. I don't care either way, we could have the game in Fargo N.D. and it would sell out.xthumbsupx

YoUDeeMan
February 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Seeing how we won the last head to head matchup between the two schools, I think Montana should get the first home game. I don't care either way, we could have the game in Fargo N.D. and it would sell out.xthumbsupx

The poster was probably referring to UM backing out of the game at App.

AlphaSigMD
February 23rd, 2009, 03:42 PM
1st - We need the 1st game at ASU.

2nd - We'll need to get some of the overpaid economics prof's from the business school in cahoots (and if anyone knows how to get into cahoots, its us mountain folk) with some of the underpaid mathematics prof's from the school of arts and sciences to figure out where is the point of diminishing returns and THEN associate that into a game day significance.

Example: 33,000 paying fans won't show up if the tickets are 50 bucks. It's a simple fact unless Montana brings a cohort of 8000. Maybe 20,000 cash-in-hand will come from our side of the Mississip' if we are lucky (assuming that tickets would still be free for students, ive left them out of the equation). Thats still a million dollars- nothing to sneeze at. But if we could get 26,000 at $35, thats still in excess of $900,000 plus you get an additional 6000 screaming fans at the rock, bringing both loads of business and good will to the high country.

However, if Montana fans do show up in droves, it would certainly be fiscally beneficial to have the tickets at $50, but it may not help with the rock's home field advantage.

89Hen
February 23rd, 2009, 03:57 PM
xlolx Could you imagine a home and home which neither road team intends to honor? :p

srgrizizen
February 23rd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Of course FCS fans would like to see this game or a similar matchup, but it's crazy to think anyone else gives a rat's patootie. And the idea of a neutral site, even in a major FCS locale like Fargo, Delaware, Northern Iowa, etc., is totally nuts. They'd be following their own team, not coming to any such exhibition game, to say nothing of the jeers at both teams for traveling to play each other but not the local FCS power. And in any neutral, non-FCS site like Las Vegas, not 200 locals would show up, if they were even aware the game was being played. I could care less whether the rest of the country knows FCS football exists, but any such home and home series only makes sense as a treat for each team's fans in their own stadium, if the schools can afford it. I hope they can.

TCisMYhero
February 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM
1st - We need the 1st game at ASU.

2nd - We'll need to get some of the overpaid economics prof's from the business school in cahoots (and if anyone knows how to get into cahoots, its us mountain folk) with some of the underpaid mathematics prof's from the school of arts and sciences to figure out where is the point of diminishing returns and THEN associate that into a game day significance.

Example: 33,000 paying fans won't show up if the tickets are 50 bucks. It's a simple fact unless Montana brings a cohort of 8000. Maybe 20,000 cash-in-hand will come from our side of the Mississip' if we are lucky (assuming that tickets would still be free for students, ive left them out of the equation). Thats still a million dollars- nothing to sneeze at. But if we could get 26,000 at $35, thats still in excess of $900,000 plus you get an additional 6000 screaming fans at the rock, bringing both loads of business and good will to the high country.

However, if Montana fans do show up in droves, it would certainly be fiscally beneficial to have the tickets at $50, but it may not help with the rock's home field advantage.

Wow... just wow... The lingo in this is priceless!

TCisMYhero
February 23rd, 2009, 05:45 PM
Of course FCS fans would like to see this game or a similar matchup, but it's crazy to think anyone else gives a rat's patootie. And the idea of a neutral site, even in a major FCS locale like Fargo, Delaware, Northern Iowa, etc., is totally nuts. They'd be following their own team, not coming to any such exhibition game, to say nothing of the jeers at both teams for traveling to play each other but not the local FCS power. And in any neutral, non-FCS site like Las Vegas, not 200 locals would show up, if they were even aware the game was being played. I could care less whether the rest of the country knows FCS football exists, but any such home and home series only makes sense as a treat for each team's fans in their own stadium, if the schools can afford it. I hope they can.

The only way you'd get UNI fans here is if both teams are 11-0 and ranked 1-2, and even then it's a stretch. We couldn't even sell out for a home semifinalxoopsx.

GaSouthern
February 23rd, 2009, 06:49 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! My dreams of playing the Griz OOC are falling apart, no way they will play Appy and GSU at the same time. HEY UD! I HEARD YOU GUYS HAVE AN OPEN SPOT! LETS START THE RIVALRY BACK UP!

appsfan
February 23rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I would love to see any of these match ups take place, especially the Griz-Mountaineers!

AlphaSigMD
February 23rd, 2009, 09:11 PM
Wow... just wow... The lingo in this is priceless!

I'm glad you approve. That's how I'll take it, at least. xthumbsupx