PDA

View Full Version : Prairie View Shuns Sam Houston?

3rd Coast Tiger
February 19th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Here's the link to the article: http://www.pvamu.edu/pages/4086.asp?item=26001

Frazier releases schedule looking to reach greater heights in 2009 season

PRAIRIE VIEW, Texas (February 18, 2009) – PVAMU Head Coach Henry Frazier III has his sights set on winning a SWAC Championship.

The team will kick the season off against Texas Southern University for the much anticipated Labor Day Classic (Sept 5). A major testing ground will come when the Panthers travel to New Mexico State (Western Athletic Conference) to lock horns with the Aggies (Sept 12). Frazier will then take his squad back to Los Angeles, CA to participate in the Angel City Classic for a rematch against Morehouse College (Sept 19). The team will look to tame the Grambling State Tigers in a showdown (Oct 3) at the Cotton Bowl (Dallas, TX).

The team will remain on the road the following week to battle the Alabama State Hornets (Oct 10) before heading home for the first game of the season at Blackshear Stadium in a much anticipated homecoming showdown with Mississippi Valley State (Oct 17). The Panthers next conquest will be making it two straight victories over Southern University as they travel to Baton Rouge, LA to grind it out with the Jaguars (Oct 22) before coming home to battle Alabama A&M (Nov 7). Alcorn State will be out for revenge versus the Panthers when the two teams tangle in Mississippi (Nov 14) after Babers ran straight through the Braves defense in last year’s season finale going over the 1,000 yard mark. The team returns home to honor its seniors in a Pre-Thanksgiving weekend game versus Arkansas Pine Bluff (Nov 21).

The SWAC championship game will be held on December 12, 2009 in Birmingham, AL. Kick-off is set for 1pm at Legion Field.

xconfusedx You'd think with 10 games scheduled that the Panthers would play Sam Houston as their 11th game to complete it. xconfusedx

Then you have Sam Houston still listing Prairie View on it's 2009 schedule. What gives? xconfusedx

Date Opponent Location Time (CT)
Sat, Sep 12 Prairie View A&M at Prairie View, TX 6 p.m.

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=92957&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&Q_SEASON=2009

By the way, I am a graduate of the TexasTerror School of Habitual Nitpicking. xrotatehx

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2009, 10:19 AM
The SWAC is mass confusion...I just do not understand how some of the things happen!

Southern and UAPB both list Central State on conflicting dates.

Texas Southern's date they announced of Texas State-San Marcos is not the same date that TXST has had announced for about a year.

Prairie View A&M does not list SHSU while SHSU does list PV (which may be because they just have not updated the web site).

That's just football this year...

In the past, we have had numerous issues -- two of the below (1,3) happening in the last year:

1) Grambling not scheduling refs for a hoops game.
2) UAPB double-booking and having to back out on UCA in football
3) Southern scheduling baseball games during finals and canceling with opponents last minute

3rd Coast Tiger
February 19th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Prairie View A&M does not list SHSU while SHSU does list PV (which may be because they just have not updated the web site).

Just have not updated the web site? xconfusedx Huh? You don't know? You have the inside scoop on all that is Sam Houston. Doesn't the University President consult with you before he makes a move? xconfusedx

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I am saying that SHSU may have not updated the web site and put in the change. Perhaps, because they do not want to take a game away without putting one in its place...? Not sure.

University President consult with me? When I was active on campus, we talked a great deal, but he's a very wise gentleman and has taken our university places while other institutions in the state, have been threatened with all sorts of things by the state government due to mismanagement and improprieties. Glad we've avoided such issues.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I am saying that SHSU may have not updated the web site and put in the change. Perhaps, because they do not want to take a game away without putting one in its place...? Not sure.

University President consult with me? When I was active on campus, we talked a great deal, but he's a very wise gentleman and has taken our university places while other institutions in the state, have been threatened with all sorts of things by the state government due to mismanagement and improprieties. Glad we've avoided such issues.

You're right you have a great, wise and noble president.

Let me know how season tickets decrease or increase for next season.

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Congrats to your golf team for their recent results...

And please do provide us with an update on the bat houses on campus. Are you guys the lone school with those?

nwFL Griz
February 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
2009 Prairie View Schedule (http://www.pvamu.edu/pages/4086.asp?item=26001) sans Sam houston St....cue TexasTerror. What happened?

HPCAT
February 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Just have not updated the web site? xconfusedx Huh? You don't know? You have the inside scoop on all that is Sam Houston. Doesn't the University President consult with you before he makes a move? xconfusedx

Now that made me laugh out loud.................LMAO

Lionsrking
February 19th, 2009, 11:32 AM

xconfusedx You'd think with 10 games scheduled that the Panthers would play Sam Houston as their 11th game to complete it. xconfusedx

Then you have Sam Houston still listing Prairie View on it's 2009 schedule. What gives? xconfusedx

http://www.gobearkats.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=92957&SPID=11345&DB_OEM_ID=19900&Q_SEASON=2009

By the way, I am a graduate of the TexasTerror School of Habitual Nitpicking. xrotatehx

Alcorn bailed on us at the last minute also, leaving us with a hole in our schedule...looks like we got it filled but we'll have to play another sub D-I which is not ideal...with what happened to us, and what's happened to other SLC schools, I'd say our chances of ever scheduling another SWAC school is remote at best, unless they come to our place first...contracts and commitments apparently don't mean anything in that league.

dmksioux
February 19th, 2009, 01:52 PM
2009 Prairie View Schedule (http://www.pvamu.edu/pages/4086.asp?item=26001) sans Sam houston St....cue TexasTerror. What happened?

What are the chances SHSU would be interested in traveling up to GF to play the Sioux on September 12th?

Lionsrking
February 19th, 2009, 02:09 PM
What are the chances SHSU would be interested in traveling up to GF to play the Sioux on September 12th?

If we didn't have to replace a home game, and didn't already have USD scheduled on the road, we probably would have been interested...it's going to be tough for you guys to get anybody to come up there if it requires a plane flight given the state of the economy.

TexasTerror
February 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I agree - the SWAC surely is shooting itself in the foot football scheduling-wise with the SLC. Between UAPB, Alcorn and Prairie View - everyone is jetting off the schedules. Didn't Jackson State pull a 180 too and then you have the whole Southern/McNeese "debacle".

dmksioux
February 19th, 2009, 05:05 PM
If we didn't have to replace a home game, and didn't already have USD scheduled on the road, we probably would have been interested...it's going to be tough for you guys to get anybody to come up there if it requires a plane flight given the state of the economy.

Was USD a part of a Home and Home or a 2 for 1 for you guys? What type of dollar figures would it take to get a team such as SHSU to travel with or without a home and home arrangement?

I am hopeful that UND would be willing to spend a little extra to get a quality opponent up to GF for our Potato Bowl. It's a game that historically draws very well. So far we only have four home games and two them are against NAIA schools. I'm hoping UND can spend a little extra cash we get from playing Texas Tech the week before in order to get a solid FCS team to come to GF...

UCAMonkey
February 19th, 2009, 06:01 PM

UAPB backed out on UCA this year. We had a two year agreement to whoop up on them.

already123
February 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
SWACs media relations have never been that accurate or up to date. If this is still the case come summer, then there is a real issue IMO

813Jag
February 19th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I agree - the SWAC surely is shooting itself in the foot football scheduling-wise with the SLC. Between UAPB, Alcorn and Prairie View - everyone is jetting off the schedules. Didn't Jackson State pull a 180 too and then you have the whole Southern/McNeese "debacle".
Those are bad moves and there are aspects of the league that leave a lot to be desired. (just calling it like I see it) But don't act like we're never on the other side of the equation. The MEAC has screwed up the SU-FAMU series for the second year in a row. Who knows if it'll be played based on the relationship of the schools. Besides it seems like there are more teams changing games to get $$ games this year.

Lionsrking
February 19th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Was USD a part of a Home and Home or a 2 for 1 for you guys? What type of dollar figures would it take to get a team such as SHSU to travel with or without a home and home arrangement?

I am hopeful that UND would be willing to spend a little extra to get a quality opponent up to GF for our Potato Bowl. It's a game that historically draws very well. So far we only have four home games and two them are against NAIA schools. I'm hoping UND can spend a little extra cash we get from playing Texas Tech the week before in order to get a solid FCS team to come to GF...

The USD arrangement is a straight up home-and-home...it was made prior to scheduling UND. To get a Sam Houston or a comparable opponent to travel to Grand Forks for a one game deal, you would probably have to pay travel costs at the very minimum, and would likely have to pony up some additional cash...the problem is most schools are looking for home games and wouldn't travel for any amount of money, unless it's too good to pass up.

dmksioux
February 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The USD arrangement is a straight up home-and-home...it was made prior to scheduling UND. To get a Sam Houston or a comparable opponent to travel to Grand Forks for a one game deal, you would probably have to pay travel costs at the very minimum, and would likely have to pony up some additional cash...the problem is most schools are looking for home games and wouldn't travel for any amount of money, unless it's too good to pass up.

In looking at the past 4-5 years of SHSU's schedule, they appear to schedule 5 home and 6 away games most years. It appears they are willing to travel. UND originally had Idaho St. Schedule for it's Potato Bowl game but ISU bought the game out for $25,000...I think UND should have had the buyout price a little bit higher. None the less, I would think that UND has some money to offer an FCS school to come up to GF.

If UND were to schedule SHSU, we would have 4 games against Southland conference teams...the same amount of Great West Conference games. Maybe we could be an affiliate member of the Southland xlolx

TexasTerror...any insight as to whether there is a possibility of this game occuring?

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2009, 10:17 AM
We were "brought up" to NDSU -- they gave us a nice guarantee plus a return game to Huntsville.

At this time - SHSU has not removed Prairie View from the schedule. Again, it's either because PV has confused the crap out of us and did not properly inform us OR we are waiting to find another game before we fill that slot.

Panther88
February 20th, 2009, 08:09 PM
We were "brought up" to NDSU -- they gave us a nice guarantee plus a return game to Huntsville.

At this time - SHSU has not removed Prairie View from the schedule. Again, it's either because PV has confused the crap out of us and did not properly inform us OR we are waiting to find another game before we fill that slot.

It's the latter Terror. We're attempting to make the SHSU/PVAMU tilt occur. xbowx

It's wait and see until "they" work this out. xreadx

TexasTerror
February 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I have faith in PV...Let us know '88!

BearsCountry
February 20th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Thank ESPN for that.

katstrapper
February 22nd, 2009, 11:17 AM
SHSU SID office does a VERY poor job of updating the website on a consistent basis. Dont look for updated rosters or anthing else related to football to be updated until after summer, if then. The two deep was never updated after the season started or during season. It took them half the season just to add an assitant coach to the coaches page.

TexasTerror
February 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
SHSU SID office does a VERY poor job of updating the website on a consistent basis. Dont look for updated rosters or anthing else related to football to be updated until after summer, if then. The two deep was never updated after the season started or during season. It took them half the season just to add an assitant coach to the coaches page.

That's incorrect - the SID office does a pretty solid job of updating the web site, especially as it relates to the sports our fan base is pretty oblivious to.

Katstrapper puts the blame on that office, when it's more times than not, really not their fault for the things he seeks out. The media comes before the fans and trust me, the media has the proper information. The web site is also being updated more often than ever before, which is a great thing. The media guide was actually on the web site with a few weeks prior to the season. The two deep was updated in the game notes, though most of our fans never read those.

3rd Coast Tiger
February 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
That's incorrect - the SID office does a pretty solid job of updating the web site, especially as it relates to the sports our fan base is pretty oblivious to.

Katstrapper puts the blame on that office, when it's more times than not, really not their fault for the things he seeks out. The media comes before the fans and trust me, the media has the proper information. The web site is also being updated more often than ever before, which is a great thing. The media guide was actually on the web site with a few weeks prior to the season. The two deep was updated in the game notes, though most of our fans never read those.

xreadx

TexasTerror
February 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM
3rd Coast - you guys worry about your own web site. At least change the pictures on the main page! ;)

3rd Coast Tiger
February 23rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
3rd Coast - you guys worry about your own web site. At least change the pictures on the main page! ;)

Right on que.... nobody xrotatehx it better.

slostang
February 23rd, 2009, 05:49 PM

I got it from a very reliable source that a team from the SLC is pulling the rug out from under a team from the Great West very late in the game. In these tough economic times, I think we will be seeing it more and more. Teams have to survive the here and now and may not be looking to what is in their best interest down the road. If they do not survive the next couple of years, there will not be a down the road to worry about.

I am not saying..........I am just saying. xwhistlex

Native
February 23rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
Alcorn bailed on us at the last minute also, leaving us with a hole in our schedule...looks like we got it filled but we'll have to play another sub D-I which is not ideal...with what happened to us, and what's happened to other SLC schools, I'd say our chances of ever scheduling another SWAC school is remote at best, unless they come to our place first...contracts and commitments apparently don't mean anything in that league.

If you think it's bad for opposing teams, imagine how bad it is for SWAC fans, coaches, faculty, and most of all, student athletes! xsmhx

NOT ALL BAD, but more than normal mismanagement and incompetence among SWAC schools, sad to say.

dmksioux
February 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM
I got it from a very reliable source that a team from the SLC is pulling the rug out from under a team from the Great West very late in the game. In these tough economic times, I think we will be seeing it more and more. Teams have to survive the here and now and may not be looking to what is in their best interest down the road. If they do not survive the next couple of years, there will not be a down the road to worry about.

I am not saying..........I am just saying. xwhistlex

Are you potentially referring to the SELA at USD Game?

slostang
February 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Are you potentially referring to the SELA at USD Game?

No. I am talking about another SLC/GW game.

dmksioux
February 23rd, 2009, 07:30 PM
No. I am talking about another SLC/GW game.

Whoops...my bad. I thought only UND and USD had games scheduled with SLC teams. I didn't see your "scheduled" game against Northwestern St. on September 5th (which Ipresume is the game you were referring to). I see you've picked up a game against Sac. St...I was kinda hoping we could get them up to Forks on that date.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Southern/McNeese "debacle".

So SU had the power to prevent the biggest disaster in US history, Katrina. You are sad. Very sad. SU and McNeese are playing next season and you know it. Our administration always said they were going to return the game. Some of the fans didnt like it, because of the things being said on message boards, but thats a different story.

Doesnt McNeese owe SDSU a game.

TexasTerror
February 24th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Oh, come on...

We all know very well what happened with SU-McNeese. You can say "Katrina" all you want. Didn't stop some of those other Jag teams that you guys probably know didn't exist and won't realize being cut, if that does happen. The McPokes can handle the rest...

McNeese72
February 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
So SU had the power to prevent the biggest disaster in US history, Katrina. You are sad. Very sad. SU and McNeese are playing next season and you know it. Our administration always said they were going to return the game. Some of the fans didnt like it, because of the things being said on message boards, but thats a different story.

Doesnt McNeese owe SDSU a game.

McNeese fans are happy with SU now.

The SDSU game was played up there this past season.

Doc

dmksioux
March 5th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Figured I'd give this thread a bump.

Any Sam Houston fans able to give an update as to what schools you may be looking at to replace the Prairieview game? It's been pretty quiet up here about potential games for that date. The list of FCS schools with open dates on 9/12 is getting pretty short...

UNHWildCats
March 5th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Figured I'd give this thread a bump.

Any Sam Houston fans able to give an update as to what schools you may be looking at to replace the Prairieview game? It's been pretty quiet up here about potential games for that date. The list of FCS schools with open dates on 9/12 is getting pretty short...
well i noticed today they finally took the Prairie View game off their posted schedule

TexasTerror
March 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM
No word in our neck of the woods...

PV fans were saying the game may still go on and perhaps we are working on that front. We won't know much until it is announced as SHSU will not say much until it's a done deal.

dmksioux
March 6th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply TT. Being that we are new to FCS football, I am really looking forward to seeing some new schools come up to Forks. So far, the only new, FCS school I've had a chance to see is Southern Utah. This year we have Poly at home which will be a good game. I hope we have the chance to see SHSU up here this year or at some point down the road. The game you had with NDSU a couple years ago was a great game to watch...I was hoping SHSU would win.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 08:24 AM
St. Joseph's of Indiana according to one rumor on KatFans...not confirmed. Here's their schedule...with Missouri S&T (formerly Missouri-Rolla) in that spot that we have an opening...unless we want a bye prior to Tulsa and not before SLC...

http://www.saintjoe.edu/athletics/schedules/schedules.php?team_id=203

Figured it'd be a sub-Div I squad. Got put in a tough place with this happening so late in the game and some of the squads remaining (i.e North Dakota, I believe) probably wanting a home-and-home that'd be a bit costly.

Good thing we already had a solid slate with two FCS and one FBS. This now gives Kat fans six home games in a three SLC home game year. I've been an advocate of two FCS, one FBS and one sub-Div I in the years we can not get three FCS.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 9th, 2009, 09:36 AM
St. Joseph's of Indiana according to one rumor on KatFans...not confirmed. Here's their schedule...with Missouri S&T (formerly Missouri-Rolla) in that spot that we have an opening...unless we want a bye prior to Tulsa and not before SLC...

Figured it'd be a sub-Div I squad. Got put in a tough place with this happening so late in the game and some of the squads remaining (i.e North Dakota, I believe) probably wanting a home-and-home that'd be a bit costly.

Good thing we already had a solid slate with two FCS and one FBS. This now gives Kat fans six home games in a three SLC home game year. I've been an advocate of two FCS, one FBS and one sub-Div I in the years we can not get three FCS.

xlolx

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 09:48 AM
xlolx

1) No road games to sub-Div I schools
2) Just one sub-Div I game - which is better than the two or three that "you know who" likes to schedule
3) Reasonable FBS money game in the region

And more importantly - a lack of schedule confusion, such as is the case with a school who likes bucking the trend on 2 of 3 above.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
1) No road games to sub-Div I schools
2) Just one sub-Div I game - which is better than the two or three that "you know who" likes to schedule
3) Reasonable FBS money game in the region

And more importantly - a lack of schedule confusion, such as is the case with a school who likes bucking the trend on 2 of 3 above.

xlolxxlolxxlolx

dmksioux
March 9th, 2009, 12:43 PM

That's too bad if it's true...I was really hoping to get you guys to come up to Grand Forks.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
That's too bad if it's true...I was really hoping to get you guys to come up to Grand Forks.

Cost too much...and we don't have a huge FBS payday this year.

You guys would probably have to give us a deal similar to that of NDSU if you wanted us to go up to Grand Forks...

dmksioux
March 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Cost too much...and we don't have a huge FBS payday this year.

You guys would probably have to give us a deal similar to that of NDSU if you wanted us to go up to Grand Forks...

That's why I'm disappointed. I would have thought that UND would have had some money to bring in a decent FCS team. They have the money from the Idaho State buyout ($25,000) plus we are getting a pretty big pay day from playing Texas Tech the week before plus we always get a great turnout (10,000+) for Potato Bowl. I would think this would all add up to being able to throw some money at an FCS team to come north. Any idea how much money NDSU guaranteed you guys to come up?

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM
That's why I'm disappointed. I would have thought that UND would have had some money to bring in a decent FCS team. They have the money from the Idaho State buyout ($25,000) plus we are getting a pretty big pay day from playing Texas Tech the week before plus we always get a great turnout (10,000+) for Potato Bowl. I would think this would all add up to being able to throw some money at an FCS team to come north. Any idea how much money NDSU guaranteed you guys to come up?

I think it was $40k and the flight, plus a return game to Huntsville.