PDA

View Full Version : New WIU coach from the Big Sky

JoeNeck90
February 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Any fans from the Big Sky particularly from NAU and Montana think we did well with this hire? Everything seems good to me.

http://www.wiuathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=50026&SPID=4963&DB_OEM_ID=12000&ATCLID=3671659

leatherneck177
February 18th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I saw this as well. Should be a decent hire, it is tough to gage an impact though.

Any NAU fans want to weigh in on this?

eagle1
February 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
He coached some of the best corners in the conference the last couple of years at NAU. I know the Big Sky throws the ball alot more than the Mo Valley but NAU's corners also played well against the run. Overall a good hire. Go Eagles!!!

already123
February 18th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I just heard that Carl Franks took a new job...

I think that if NAU is going to replace new coach, it should be Souers that gets replaced. NAUs CBs have never been a problem

They have actually been an elite position in the BSC lately

Ronbo
February 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I just heard that Carl Franks took a new job...

I think that if NAU is going to replace new coach, it should be Souers that gets replaced. NAUs CBs have never been a problem

They have actually been an elite position in the BSC lately

Funny you should mention getting rid of Souers. I've watched with interest the movement of Coaches from Montana to HC positions elsewhere.

Montana coaches who the new schools thought were geniuses turn out to be failures or average at new schools.

Mick Dennehy - Failure at Utah State
Joe Glenn - Failure at Wyoming
Jerome Souers - Average to maybe a little below at NAU.

The power of the program - never underestimate it. A great program can make a coach look like a genius.

putter
February 19th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Funny you should mention getting rid of Souers. I've watched with interest the movement of Coaches from Montana to HC positions elsewhere.

Montana coaches who the new schools thought were geniuses turn out to be failures or average at new schools.

Mick Dennehy - Failure at Utah State
Joe Glenn - Failure at Wyoming
Jerome Souers - Average to maybe a little below at NAU.

The power of the program - never underestimate it. A great program can make a coach look like a genius.

As long as you get out in a hurry. Dennehy and Glenn were HC's at Montana for what, a combined 5 years. I would say they got out while the getting was good.

Ronbo
February 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
As long as you get out in a hurry. Dennehy and Glenn were HC's at Montana for what, a combined 5 years. I would say they got out while the getting was good.

Dennehy - 1996 to 1999 - 4 years
Glenn - 2000 to 2002 - 3 years

Total record for the 7 years was 78-18.

Souers had similar success as the OC while he was here, or was he the DC? Can't remember.

This is interesting. Hauck is 66-16. He'll need to go 12-2 next season to match the 7 year record of Dennehy and Glenn.

FCS Go!
February 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
There is no arguing that the culture and history of the program at Montana has a big effect on the success of coaches but the opposite is also true. Even the best coaches would be hard pressed to succeed at the likes of Utah St, Wyoming or even NAU. (Sorry for the hijack)

Franks seems like a good guy and has coached some good players over the years. Let's hope he gives the 'Necks a little boost to get them back in the playoffs.

Ronbo
February 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Back on topic.

I would be a little concerned.

Pass Defense

2008 - NAU was ranked #7 of 9 teams at 291 yards per game.
2007 - NAU was ranked #4 of 9 teams at 229 yards per game.
2006 - NAU was ranked #8 of 9 teams at 259 yards per game.

FCS Go!
February 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Back on topic.

I would be a little concerned.

Pass Defense

2008 - NAU was ranked #7 of 9 teams at 291 yards per game.
2007 - NAU was ranked #4 of 9 teams at 229 yards per game.
2006 - NAU was ranked #8 of 9 teams at 259 yards per game.

You can't lay those stats on Franks- remember NAU's Vaunted Pass Rush?

Ronbo
February 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM
You can't lay those stats on Franks- remember NAU's Vaunted Pass Rush?

You see, that doesn't make sense.

In 2008 when they gave up 291 yards per game passing they were the #1 sack team in the Big Sky.

In 2007 when they were 4th in passing yards given up, 229 yards per game, they were #8 in sacks.

In 2006 when they gave up 259 yards per game passing they were #4 in sacks.

The better their rush was the worse their pass defense got.xlolxxlolxxlolx

leatherneck177
February 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
You see, that doesn't make sense.

In 2008 when they gave up 291 yards per game passing they were the #1 sack team in the Big Sky.

In 2007 when they were 4th in passing yards given up, 229 yards per game, they were #8 in sacks.

In 2006 when they gave up 259 yards per game passing they were #4 in sacks.

The better their rush was the worse their pass defense got.xlolxxlolxxlolx

It will be interesting to see how he does. Thanks for the information. Some of that has to be because the Big Sky throws the ball at a higher rate.

already123
February 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM
If you watch the games, passing yardage has mostly been becuase of scheme...not necessarily the talent at CB. Most people demolish NAU between the hashes in the passing game, rarely outside against the CBs