PDA

View Full Version : Non-Scholarship Team wins 2 Playoff Games

DetroitFlyer
November 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Well, you would really have to be a fan of non-scholaship football to have noticed this, so I thought I would post it for all to see....

C. W. Post, a Division II, non-scholarship team in the Northeast 10 conference, has now won two games in the Division II playoffs. In round one they defeated West Chester, 24-20 and in round two they defeated Shepherd, 28-21. Next up is East Stroudsburg in the Division II quarterfinals! East Stroudsburg defeated C. W. Post earlier this season something like 66-49.

It sure is interesting to see what a non-scholarship team can do in the playoffs given the opportunity. It is too bad that we will not get to see a great San Diego team in the 1-AA playoffs.....

AppGuy04
November 23rd, 2005, 09:34 AM
Well, you would really have to be a fan of non-scholaship football to have noticed this, so I thought I would post it for all to see....

C. W. Post, a Division II, non-scholarship team in the Northeast 10 conference, has now won two games in the Division II playoffs. In round one they defeated West Chester, 24-20 and in round two they defeated Shepherd, 28-21. Next up is East Stroudsburg in the Division II quarterfinals! East Stroudsburg defeated C. W. Post earlier this season something like 66-49.

It sure is interesting to see what a non-scholarship team can do in the playoffs given the opportunity. It is too bad that we will not get to see a great San Diego team in the 1-AA playoffs.....

even as a non-schollie, CW Post has a great football tradition

DetroitFlyer
November 23rd, 2005, 09:44 AM
As does the University of Dayton! But the PFL, in 13 seasons, has never had a team invited to the 1-AA playoffs....

rokamortis
November 23rd, 2005, 09:50 AM
As does the University of Dayton! But the PFL, in 13 seasons, has never had a team invited to the 1-AA playoffs....

touche

Another reason for playoff expansion.

bluehenbillk
November 23rd, 2005, 09:51 AM
CCU had their chance this year & they choked on it the last weekend.

ysubigred
November 23rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
touche

Another reason for playoff expansion.

I would love to see 1AA addopt the DIII system for the playoff's.

NDSU_grad
November 23rd, 2005, 10:39 AM
The only reason C.W. Post has two playoff games is because of regionalization. The NE is very weak in DII football. We won't see how strong they are until they get into the semi's.

rokamortis
November 23rd, 2005, 10:45 AM

My comment has nothing to do with CCU. I think the playoffs should expand regardless.

Stop being such a jerk.

89Hen
November 23rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
Hens played CW a couple times back in the 70's when they were DII. The Hens had some odd schedules with a mix of DI, DII and non-schollies... everyone from Temple, Lehigh, North Dakota, YSU... to CW, Merchant Marines, Gettysburg... It was kinda neat growing up as we saw a LOT of different teams come to Newark. Now it's pretty much the same year after year.

windwalker
November 23rd, 2005, 11:03 AM
What in the world does that comment have to do with this thread???

89Hen
November 23rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
BTW, CW's performance in the DII playoffs does NOT make me want to expand the playoffs. Non-schollie to schollie in DII is a smaller margin than it is for I-AA. Imagine a non-schollie I-A vs a BCS team. Keep in mind that CW was actually ranked ahead of West Chester at the end of the season in the regional rankings. The Shepherd result was a bit of surprise though.

PantherMan
November 23rd, 2005, 11:12 AM

You're almost right about San Diego, heck, they played about as tough a schedule as Lafayette and Hampton... ;) But in all honesty, no, San Diego is nowhere near a playoff team in IAA. To expand on their cupcake schedule, it is necessary to look at their opponents' opponents. Take Drake for instance, who nearly beat SD. Drake got whupped by UNI and ILSU, I mean these games weren't even close. Some day MAYBE a team from the PFL will be invited to the playoffs, but it will take one hell of an impressive team.

ngineer
November 23rd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Hens played CW a couple times back in the 70's when they were DII. The Hens had some odd schedules with a mix of DI, DII and non-schollies... everyone from Temple, Lehigh, North Dakota, YSU... to CW, Merchant Marines, Gettysburg... It was kinda neat growing up as we saw a LOT of different teams come to Newark. Now it's pretty much the same year after year.

Yes, same for us (Lehigh)--the 'mix' was sort of fun, but the only 'championship' to play for was the mythical Lambert Cup. We had some wild games with CW Post back in the early 70's when we were D-II. You'd play them or Gettysburg one week, then Rutgers or Army the next...

ngineer
November 23rd, 2005, 12:03 PM
The only reason C.W. Post has two playoff games is because of regionalization. The NE is very weak in DII football. We won't see how strong they are until they get into the semi's.

Depends on how you define NE--The PSAC is very strong. Any D-II school in the country willhave their hands full with the upper half of that conference. There are some weak sisters like Mansfield, Cheyney, and Lock Haven, but East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, Indiana, Millersville, West Chester, Edenboro, and Clarion have, over the years, been quite competitive.

Torero Tradition
November 23rd, 2005, 12:13 PM
To be honest... we got screwed.... :bang:
The committee gave us no love :deadhorse

Toreros in '06!

Maybe if I make our case for a playoff push earlier in the year ;)

For those of you going to the championship game, be sure to check out the awards ceremony the night before when we pick up the SportsNetWork Cup.

DinoDex200
November 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM

Exactly, we'll see what happens when they play a team from the NCC, SAC, or Gulf South.

NDSU_grad
November 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Depends on how you define NE--The PSAC is very strong. Any D-II school in the country willhave their hands full with the upper half of that conference. There are some weak sisters like Mansfield, Cheyney, and Lock Haven, but East Stroudsburg, Bloomsburg, Slippery Rock, Indiana, Millersville, West Chester, Edenboro, and Clarion have, over the years, been quite competitive.
I think that was true 10-15 years ago, but since they imposed scholarship limitations in that conference (24 compared to 36 for the rest of DII) they've had a tough time competing nationally.

89Hen
November 23rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Yes, same for us (Lehigh)--the 'mix' was sort of fun, but the only 'championship' to play for was the mythical Lambert Cup.
:confused: LU won the 1977 DII Championship and UD the 1979. BTW, quite a long run of champs that moved on to I-AA....

1976 Montana State
1977 Lehigh
1978 Eastern Illinois
1979 Delaware
1980 Cal-Poly
1981 SW Texas State
1982 SW Texas State
1983 North Dakota St
1984 Troy State
1985 North Dakota St
1986 North Dakota St
1987 Troy State
1988 North Dakota St

GoAgs72
November 23rd, 2005, 01:25 PM
UC Davis appeared in the DII playoffs more years than any other team and without scholarships. But they also never won the national championship despite making it to the finals once and the semi-finals numerous times. Usually it was lack of depth and size that did them in - the first string was usually pretty good. Scholarships started when they decided to begin the move to 1AA but I think they're still at 38.

henfan
November 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
I'm all for San Diego competing in the D-II playoffs! (Did I read that implication correctly?) Seriously, CW Post's situation has absolutely nothing to do with why low equivalancy programs like Dayton & San Diego haven't been invited to the I-AA playoffs. In I-AA, it's all about SOS.

LIU-CWP, even though they call themselves 'non-scholarship' in much the same way that Patriot League teams do, spend just as much on football as West Chester and their PSAC counterparts. No one should be confusied by that WCUPA calls their equivalancies 'athletic scholarships' and LIU-CWP calls them by some other name. An equivalancy is an equivalancy. Labels are meaningless.

In the case of San Diego, it's impossible to demonstrate that they are truly one of the 16 best and playoff worthy when they played one of the weakest schedules in all of I-AA. No matter the record, the Selection Committee is not impressed by a bunch of wins against non-competitive teams. An incredibly weak schedule is a non-starter, no matter how many patsies you beat up on.

I'm all for Pioneer League teams in the playoffs, so long as they demonstrate their worthiness during the regular season.

Guard Dawg
October 31st, 2006, 05:59 PM

I guess I didn't realize non-scholly teams can win in the playoffs!

AggiePride
October 31st, 2006, 06:04 PM
Um, some of you need to check out D2 history.

At the time UC Davis left D2 we had the most playoff appearances of any D2 team.. ever.

Yep... as a Non-Scholly.

How did we get there so much? Oh yeh, we actually scheduled good teams, including up to 4-5 I-AA teams while we were D2. We never let ourselves feel like we were handicapped and scheduled the best we could. Any other non-scholly should follow suit IMO.

So how this is even noteworthy is funny to me. Try some better research flyer.