PDA

View Full Version : Nicholls State Announces 2009 Schedule

GeauxColonels
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
FINALLY, the powers that be in Thibodaux have released the schedule early. It features 2 FBS opponents in the Air Force Academy and Louisiana Tech as well as 2 non-conference FCS match-ups against Duquesne and Jacksonville State - Ryan Perriloux's return to Louisiana.
http://geauxcolonels.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021709aaa.html

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Jax State is a good home-and-home for the Colonels. Not too bad a drive.

I'm guessing you guys gave Duquesne a guarantee?

If you had just one FBS game, that'd be great (especially if it was a third FCS game in that slot) -- of course, La Tech may be winnable. ;)

NSUDemon98
February 17th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Jax State is a good home-and-home for the Colonels. Not too bad a drive.

I'm guessing you guys gave Duquesne a guarantee?

If you had just one FBS game, that'd be great (especially if it was a third FCS game in that slot) -- of course, La Tech may be winnable. ;)

Not exactly sure why LaTech seems avoid scheduling every nearby FCS school except for Northwestern St. and McNeese...when both schools would bring a good crowd.

But they are so focused on the whole "seperation" thing and don't want to stir up any old rivalry memories.

TexasTerror
February 17th, 2009, 10:15 PM
La Tech has soiled their relationship with ULL and ULM as well -- would figure they'd want to play those two schools in EVERY sport. So cheap to play them...

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Not exactly sure why LaTech seems avoid scheduling every nearby FCS school except for Northwestern St. and McNeese...when both schools would bring a good crowd.

But they are so focused on the whole "seperation" thing and don't want to stir up any old rivalry memories.

I guess since LA Tech lost 2 out of 3 to Mcneese when they had Bradshaw, they'd find even tougher these days..xlolx

Hood
February 18th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I must say I am *very* pleased with this schedule. And as GC said, it's early which makes plotting out my year easier.

We have no guaranteed wins though with no D2s on the schedule but that's ok. Our guys will earn it!

I don't call any FBS game winnable anymore. I think we have all seen too much stuff in these 'close' FBS/FCS games. Last time we played La Tech we spanked them for one half before the depth took over. Though reading their message board in my hotel room was fun post game seeing how freaked out they were for 30 minutes.

I welcome Duquesne and Jacksonville State. I might bet on the Jax State game. I'm sure Perriloux can get me in with a good bookie.

I know Duquesne is coming off a 3-7 season but they are traditionally a very talented squad.

The Air Force game might be done in under 2 hours if we both keep it on the ground :)

So who knows. 2-2 or 3-1 going into conference is nice to think about but I'm trying to remain grounded this year. I was told last year that it was the most talented squad we'd had in a long time. Granted keep in mind we lost a lot with the hurricanes.

No excuses this year!

TexasTerror
February 18th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Duquesne is very comparable to a Div II game. I honestly think that a team like Delta State or Abilene Christian would be a much tougher win to come by then them...

2-2 is a "need to happen" or the Colonels. If you get to 3-1, then we're really talking...

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 08:34 AM
2 FBS opponents
xnonono2x

GeauxColonels
February 18th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I like the Jacksonville State match-up. A meeting of former Southland Conference foes. I was in the marching band last time the Gamecocks came to Thibodaux, the refs flagged the marching band for playing in the stands. We lost the game by two and everyone blamed us for the loss. Nevermind the fact that the kicker missed 3 field goals over the course of the game. Ahhh, memories!

Hood
February 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I like the Jacksonville State match-up. A meeting of former Southland Conference foes. I was in the marching band last time the Gamecocks came to Thibodaux, the refs flagged the marching band for playing in the stands. We lost the game by two and everyone blamed us for the loss. Nevermind the fact that the kicker missed 3 field goals over the course of the game. Ahhh, memories!

yeah that was a load of bull. Wasn't the first time it happened either. That was the year where the joke was "Lets just hang a neon sign on the goal posts that says Kick Ball HERE!!!!.

Didn't our brilliant cheerleading squad lead a chant of "Beat Them 'Cocks" and completely NOT understand the laughter?

BAH memories (as opposed to "Ah memories" )

Purple Pride
February 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Side note.

Offensive line coach Joshua Eargle and defensive line coach Skylor Magee both resigned from Nicholls to take positions at other universities, announced Nicholls Athletics Department on Thursday afternoon.

Eargle leaves Nicholls for LSU where he will be an assistant to the offensive line coach, while Magee becomes the co-defensive coordinator at North Greenville University.

By Nicholls State University Media Relations

Retro
February 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Side note.

Offensive line coach Joshua Eargle and defensive line coach Skylor Magee both resigned from Nicholls to take positions at other universities, announced Nicholls Athletics Department on Thursday afternoon.

Eargle leaves Nicholls for LSU where he will be an assistant to the offensive line coach, while Magee becomes the co-defensive coordinator at North Greenville University.

By Nicholls State University Media Relations

How many freaking assistants does LSU need? Talk about coaching overkill.. They basically have a coach for every 3 players!xrolleyesx

SandMountainDemon
February 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM

I hate to be the one to point this out, but the last time the Gamecocks went to Thibodaux, Nicholls won 14-7. I worked at JSU from 2001-2007, and we lost in our last meeting there in 2002.

GeauxColonels
February 27th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I hate to be the one to point this out, but the last time the Gamecocks went to Thibodaux, Nicholls won 14-7. I worked at JSU from 2001-2007, and we lost in our last meeting there in 2002.
You're right. I forgot about that meeting. It must have been the 2nd to last meeting in 2000.

GeauxLions94
February 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM
How many freaking assistants does LSU need? Talk about coaching overkill.. They basically have a coach for every 3 players!xrolleyesx

Question should be ... "how many assistants does Nicholls State have left???" Aren't they the second and third members of the staff (Steve Ellis was the other) to leave in the last two weeks?

snakeeyes
February 28th, 2009, 04:46 PM
And with the hiring freeze, are they even going to be able to replace those that leave?