PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South drops Mars Hill and picks up South Florida

CSUBUCDAD
February 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Wow, two years in a row with two FBS opponents. Glad to see Mars Hill off the schedule but damn Mills, now we have the first month on the road.

Football Changes Schedule; Will Face USF in 2009
February 17, 2009
By CSU Sports Information

CHARLESTON, S.C. –Charleston Southern and the University of South Florida have announced a one-game agreement to play during the 2009 football season. The game will held at Raymond James Stadium on Sept. 19.

It will be the fifth all-time meeting between the two programs with USF having swept all four of the previous contests. Most recently, the two teams faced off in 2003, with the Bulls claiming a 55-7 victory.

With the change, the Buccaneers will face two FBS schools for the second time in as many years as they lead off the 2009 campaign with the defending BCS National Champion Florida Gators.

http://csusports.athleticsite.com/article.asp?articleID=3052

bigSfan89
February 17th, 2009, 04:50 PM
i don't imagine Mars Hill is too happy about this, but it looks to me like we need the money. how did we get out of this agreement? Al parrish will be the dead albatross around our neck for years to come and he is trying to get his sentence reduced to 6 years after costing CSU over 8 million and some very bad press. i believe that coach mills wants two more upper division teams next year also. i trust mills. he thinks that the exposure will help recruiting and the experience level of the team over the long haul. the team has done well over the last few years, and we recruit hard in florida. the pressure is on boys, suck it up, go BUCS!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2009, 04:56 PM
I've got to believe that these two pastings, against two of the top schools in Florida, will go a long way towards funding something really, really good at Chuck South.

furman94
February 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Oh the agony! Oh the outrage! Woe is me! (Cue the OUTRAGED fans who think it is totally classless for a program to make decisions with their best intrests in mind...)

CSUBUCDAD
February 17th, 2009, 05:30 PM
The article does state that the game with Mars Hill will still occur in a season to be named later. Didn't totally kick the SAC boys to the curb, but yea I would be pissed too if I was them. You look at their past as they don't get too many shots at D1 schools.

Rowdy
February 17th, 2009, 05:48 PM
The article does state that the game with Mars Hill will still occur in a season to be named later. Didn't totally kick the SAC boys to the curb, but yea I would be pissed too if I was them. You look at their past as they don't get too many shots at D1 schools.

I'm sure it's always in the contract, we get a better offer and we're gone.

DFW HOYA
February 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM
So are Patriot schools the only playoff eligible teams not scheduling I-A games? xconfusedx

R3TRO
February 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Oh the agony! Oh the outrage! Woe is me! (Cue the OUTRAGED fans who think it is totally classless for a program to make decisions with their best intrests in mind...)

Make decisions that are in your best interest at the proper time, not after most schedules are locked up.

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Did USF drop somebody for this game? Because they had to move some things around to play FSU.

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Turns out FIU bought out of their game with USF to play Rutgers.

Seawolf97
February 17th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Hope you do well down in Tampa, we play the Bulls in 2010. Should be interesting .

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Hey, Mars Hill got "Furmaned". Wait until the last minute, and then leave a team high and dry. Bummer.

R3TRO
February 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Hey, Mars Hill got "Furmaned". Wait until the last minute, and then leave a team high and dry. Bummer.

xlolx

nwFL Griz
February 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM

xlolx

You CAA guys really need to get over this. If you haven't figured it out by now, college football is a business. And like it or not, Furman made a business decision. You still have plenty of time to find a game, it will be harder than it would have been two months ago, but that's life.

All this crying is just making you look foolish.

henfan
February 18th, 2009, 08:37 AM
You CAA guys really need to get over this. If you haven't figured it out by now, college football is a business. And like it or not, Furman made a business decision. You still have plenty of time to find a game, it will be harder than it would have been two months ago, but that's life.

Well, some might suggest the opinion is foolish that it's OK to break a contract whenever it serves a school's best interests, regardless of the time frame.

I completely understand and agree that it's OK to back out of a home-home, so long as the contractual obligations are met (i.e.- the buyout is paid.) IMO, the problem isn't that CSU or Furman backed out so much the timing of it all. It's highly unlikely they just discovered that the were having financial issues. Would it have been OK for CSU or FU to wait until May to back out? Would August have been OK? How about the day before the game?

I don't know about Mars Hill, but it's yet to be determined if UD now has the time to schedule a suitable opponent for the now vacated date. The school was likely on the verge of mailing out its season ticket renewals and I'd doubt FU would be incurring the cost of re-print of 11K plus brochures & schedules.

One way to prevent schools from backing out of scheduled games so late is to load the contracts with schedules tied to larger, more punitive disincentives for late cancellations. We'll see if that happens. In this case, at least Chuck South rescheduled Mars Hill.xthumbsupx

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM

nwFL, you should probably remain silent on this. For years Montana had the stigma of opting for the buyout of contracts and here Furman is to step up and relieve you of your title. You should relish this. :p

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
nwFL, you should probably remain silent on this. For years Montana had the stigma of opting for the buyout of contracts and here Furman is to step up and relieve you of your title. You should relish this. :p
I'm glad Southern and McNeese are playing next year, hopefully that should get us out of that club as well. xlolx

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 08:51 AM

You obviously don't know most UD fans. It just gives them something else to complain and whine about.

Yeah, it does suck what Furman did and what other teams may have to start doing by backing out of games, and as UD alum I did want to see Furman in Newark, but seriously, get......over......it. Nothing you can do about it so the continuous griping will just make you all look like infants! LOL

CSUBUCDAD
February 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Don't be hijacking my thread damnit. Stay on subject or shutup.

Hoseinexile07
February 18th, 2009, 09:35 AM
From Mars Hill to South Florida...talk about an upgrade.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Since there are only two CSU fans here including you, no Mars Hill fans and no USF fans... hijacking is the only way this thread is going to stay alive. xsmiley_wix

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Since there are only two CSU fans here including you, no Mars Hill fans and no USF fans... hijacking is the only way this thread is going to stay alive. xsmiley_wix
Not really a USF fan, but I work near the school and go to some games. Does that count? xlolx

CSUBUCDAD
February 18th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Not really a USF fan, but I work near the school and go to some games. Does that count? xlolx

Good enough for me.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Good enough for me.
Bucdad wants to have somebody to talk smack with. :p

FURMANFAN
February 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Well, some might suggest the opinion is foolish that it's OK to break a contract whenever it serves a school's best interests, regardless of the time frame.

I completely understand and agree that it's OK to back out of a home-home, so long as the contractual obligations are met (i.e.- the buyout is paid.) IMO, the problem isn't that CSU or Furman backed out so much the timing of it all. It's highly unlikely they just discovered that the were having financial issues. Would it have been OK for CSU or FU to wait until May to back out? Would August have been OK? How about the day before the game?

I don't know about Mars Hill, but it's yet to be determined if UD now has the time to schedule a suitable opponent for the now vacated date. The school was likely on the verge of mailing out its season ticket renewals and I'd doubt FU would be incurring the cost of re-print of 11K plus brochures & schedules.

One way to prevent schools from backing out of scheduled games so late is to load the contracts with schedules tied to larger, more punitive disincentives for late cancellations. We'll see if that happens. In this case, at least Chuck South rescheduled Mars Hill.xthumbsupx

I'm fairly certain there is a graduated schedule of payment based on the inconvenience incurred. That would be a standard practice. I've got to say, and this is certainly not aimed at you because this is the first reasonable post I've read from a UD fan, that knowing a little about UD's past relationships with some other schools this supposed outrage is either collective narcissism or an extreme case of hypocrisy.

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Bucdad wants to have somebody to talk smack with. :p
I'll represent the Bulls in that case. xlolx

GannonFan
February 18th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm fairly certain there is a graduated schedule of payment based on the inconvenience incurred. That would be a standard practice. I've got to say, and this is certainly not aimed at you because this is the first reasonable post I've read from a UD fan, that knowing a little about UD's past relationships with some other schools this supposed outrage is either collective narcissism or an extreme case of hypocrisy.

What are you implying from this? xconfusedx

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM

LOL Nice.

Here I'll stay on subject...........no one gives a rats ass about Chuck South, Mars Hill or USF!!!!!!!

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM
I'll represent the Bulls in that case. xlolx

And I'll represent Mars Hills. Whoever/wherever the hell that is!!!!!!!! hahaha

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM

I laughed at first, then i realized i am the only Hofstra fan on here. He's got me outnumbered 2:1 xoopsx

leatherneck177
February 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Looks like everyone sold W's for L's.

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Looks like everyone sold W's for L's.

I think in these days and times, padding the coffers can sometimes outweigh the W/L column. It sounds like CSU had some fiscal issues before the current economic state of our nation.

CSUBUCDAD
February 18th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I think in these days and times, padding the coffers can sometimes outweigh the W/L column. It sounds like CSU had some fiscal issues before the current economic state of our nation.

Yep and his name is Al Parish. He is sitting in prison right now for screwing the University out of several million bucks in investments. Trying to keep the ambitious plan of expansion in place as best we can.

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Yep and his name is Al Parish. He is sitting in prison right now for screwing the University out of several million bucks in investments. Trying to keep the ambitious plan of expansion in place as best we can.

Sometimes it's tough to pass up on a money game when you really need the cash. I think most of our programs fall into the same boat of losing money to some degree each year. It's not the norm to make money at this level of football, though some programs have been able to do very well.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I laughed at first, then i realized i am the only Hofstra fan on here. He's got me outnumbered 2:1 xoopsx

Did you adios Bull Fan? Or didn't he count as a true Dutchmen fan? ;) :p xwhistlex

Uncle Buck
February 18th, 2009, 01:16 PM
I spoke to him earlier and he came back and posted on another thread. He's technically a Buffalo fan who goes out of his way to annoy me with jabs at Hofstra. I'll count him as a .5 since he does at least go to games with me.

g-webb1994
February 18th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Shaping up to be good exposure for the Big South against FBS teams in the fall:

G-W: NC State, Buffalo
CSU: UF, South Florida
Coastal: Kent State, Clemson
Liberty: West Virginia
VMI: Army

I'd really like to see an upset in one of them, Coastal/Kent is probably the best chance.

Libertine
February 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Coastal/Kent is probably the best chance.

I'd say that VMI has the best shot myself.

CSUBUCDAD
February 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sometimes it's tough to pass up on a money game when you really need the cash. I think most of our programs fall into the same boat of losing money to some degree each year. It's not the norm to make money at this level of football, though some programs have been able to do very well.

Worst part of it is that he was a professor at the University.

CSUBUCDAD
February 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I'd really like to see an upset in one of them, Coastal/Kent is probably the best chance.

Don't minimize Chuck Souths chances against USF. WE won 7 of our last 8 last year and will be much stronger on both sides of the ball this season. USF lost the entire offensive line and alot of the dline. Most analyst think they will be way down this year.

CSU BUCS
February 18th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Chuck South fan here. Hardly ever post these days.

813Jag
February 18th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Don't minimize Chuck Souths chances against USF. WE won 7 of our last 8 last year and will be much stronger on both sides of the ball this season. USF lost the entire offensive line and alot of the dline. Most analyst think they will be way down this year.
The Bulls return 3 out 4 starters on the D-Line, their best pass rusher (George Selvie) returns and they have a freshmen (Ryne Giddins) coming in who will have the chance to make plays. They lose 4 starters on Defense. The O-Line only returns one starter, most of their skill players return. They lose 7 starters on Offense.

I don't think they will have the type of season they had 2 years ago, but they'll always be dangerous as long as Grothe is there. He's the key to that team, beyond any other position. The biggest concern is that they will have new Coordinators on both sides of the ball.

bigSfan89
February 18th, 2009, 05:40 PM

i think VMI over army is a possible, as everyone knows army has been really down the last few years. i believe that Coach S. Woods will have an impact at VMI.

g-webb1994
February 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Yep, Sparky has done a nice job at VMI so far.

BJuice
February 18th, 2009, 10:57 PM
I completely support our coaching staff's decision to drop Mars Hill and add USF. It is a tremendous upgrade. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Coach Mills has done a great job since he has been at CSU. He has a plan in place for building our program and I have full confidence that he is going to do anything possible to make that plan a reality. We have a fieldhouse to build and upgrades to make to our stadium. We are a small, private school. We have to find ways to make money. If that means dropping Mars Hill and adding USF, so be it. Stuff happens!!!

We recruit players that want to develop as athletes, want to win, want exposure, and want to play the best competition possible. They can do all of those things this season. These games (FBS) will make us better for our conference schedule.

Go BUCS!!!

walliver
February 24th, 2009, 09:44 PM
CSU shouldn't have to worry about USF. The Bulls will probably still be banged up from the whooping they will get on September 5.

kirkblitz
February 24th, 2009, 11:52 PM

yep if your D coordinator doesnt suck this season we do have a shot at kent. But im sure he'll be happy with a 80th ranked run D again xcoffeex