PDA

View Full Version : Maine/Delaware X 2

ChickenMan
February 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Now that UD needs a game to fill the Furman slot.. if ALL else fails maybe they could do a home & home with Maine who apparently still needs an 11th game. UD is schedule to play a CAA game at Maine on 10/3.. but both have an open date on 8/29. The 8/29 game at UD could be a non-conference tilt with the 10/3 game at Maine remaining a CAA game. There is a CAA (A10) presedence for a home/home series in the same year.. as UMass and UConn played twice back in '97 or '98. Not an ideal situation.. but it may be the best solution to difficult scheduling problem.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Has Albany filled its 4th non-conference game?

at Georgia Southern
vs UMass
vs Bryant
TBA

If not, they should travel to the highest bidder of UD/Maine. :)

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 10:21 AM
There is a CAA (A10) presedence for a home/home series in the same year.. as UMass and UConn played twice back in '97 or '98.
Was in '98. UConn beat UMass both times, but UMass won the NC. xeyebrowx

BTW, I believe that was due to the odd number of teams in the Yankee at the time.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM

at Georgia Southern
vs UMass
vs Bryant
TBA

I've heard it was Maine at home. There was a real push to get 3 OOC home games this year after having none last year.

And we all know Delaware isn't travelling to Albany.

aceinthehole
February 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I've heard it was Maine at home. There was a real push to get 3 OOC home games this year after having none last year.

Wow, 2 CAA teams at home! If so, great job by Albany.

If UD is still looking for a game , the only NEC team with an opening that I wouldn't mind seeing head to the Tub would have to be Duquesne (although, I can't imagine any Hen fans enjoying that matchup too much).

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Keep in mind... UD could switch dates with JMU.... we could play you on 8/29 instead of 10/31. That way, you could still schedule an OOC game or another game on 10/31.

Come on guys.... you know you want to help out JMU!!!!!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
February 17th, 2009, 11:29 AM

BTW, I believe that was due to the odd number of teams in the Yankee at the time.

And something to do with BU dropping football. IIRC, UNH played Northeastern twice that season.

mainejeff
February 17th, 2009, 11:38 AM

at Georgia Southern
vs UMass
vs Bryant
TBA

Thankfully, Maine's willingness to play away games balances out Delaware's wallet. ;)

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Thankfully, Maine's willingness to play away games balances out Delaware's wallet. ;)

Exactly.

After the GSU game, Albany will have made the rounds to what could be argued is the three best places to play in the FCS (Montana, GSU, and Delaware). I expect they'll take a home game against Maine over a money game at Delaware.

R3TRO
February 17th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Exactly.

After the GSU game, Albany will have made the rounds to what could be argued is the three best places to play in the FCS (Montana, GSU, and Delaware). I expect they'll take a home game against Maine over a money game at Delaware.

Ahem, you came to UNH last year.........

Just kidding, UNH sucks... :(

mainejeff
February 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Exactly.

It's important to build your fan base.......games vs. UMass and Maine at home in September is a good step toward that goal. xthumbsupx

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
It's important to build your fan base.......games vs. UMass and Maine at home in September is a good step toward that goal. xthumbsupx

Exactly. last year we didn't have a home game until October 10th. This year, we'll hopefully have 3 before than.

Ivytalk
February 17th, 2009, 12:15 PM

Except maybe on the way to Vermont during ski season!:D

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Except maybe on the way to Vermont during ski season!:D

Not even then. They bring the slopes to the Tub. There's more fans, you know?.

Eagle22
February 17th, 2009, 01:06 PM

Yep, it was '98.

GSU beat UCONN in the playoffs, then lost to UMASS who had lost twice to UCONN in the regular season.

What a wacky year.

bleedblue
February 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM
UD at Albany. Hehe that's funny.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
UD at Albany. Hehe that's funny.

FWIW, I do believe there is an agreement in place that will see Delaware travel to Albany when our stadium is built. But I'm not holding my breath. "Agreements" don't tend to mean too much these days.

GannonFan
February 17th, 2009, 08:57 PM
FWIW, I do believe there is an agreement in place that will see Delaware travel to Albany when our stadium is built. But I'm not holding my breath. "Agreements" don't tend to mean too much these days.

I don't believe UD's ever broken a football contract - I'm sure if we make a deal to play in Albany, we will. Might be a 2 for 1 deal, but that was good for SDSU.

danefan
February 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I don't believe UD's ever broken a football contract - I'm sure if we make a deal to play in Albany, we will. Might be a 2 for 1 deal, but that was good for SDSU.

I didn't mean to insinuate that UD would break it. It just seems to be commonplace in college football nowadays.

I believe it was arranged as part of the 06/08 games already played at UD. With the game at Albany contingent on the stadium being built.

blukeys
February 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM

You are correct. Just ask Furman. xrolleyesx

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I believe it was arranged as part of the 06/08 games already played at UD. With the game at Albany contingent on the stadium being built.
Not really questioning you, but I seriously doubt that. I can't imagine an open-ended commitment like that. Any trip to Albany would be from future contracts, not past ones. xpeacex

danefan
February 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Not really questioning you, but I seriously doubt that. I can't imagine an open-ended commitment like that. Any trip to Albany would be from future contracts, not past ones. xpeacex

I've heard it from multiple sources. But like I said, I'll believe it when I sit my butt in a stadium in Albany and watch it myself.

I'm to the point that I don't even necessarily believe I'll ever even sit my butt in a stadium in Albany, let alone to watch the Hens.