View Full Version : Michigan quarterback Threet released from scholarship

JmuSkinsfan
February 16th, 2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11385717

He has already transferred once, from Georgia Tech to Michigan. I can't imagine he would transfer to another FBS school and lose another year of eligibility. Where is he going to land?

PantherRob82
February 16th, 2009, 12:12 PM
So he'll be a soph? I could see App St, UNI, JMU, etc

MplsBison
February 16th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Depends on how far he wants to go from Michigan, but GT is pretty far so maybe distance isn't a concern.

ericsaid
February 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
DELAWARE

AshevilleApp2
February 16th, 2009, 12:41 PM

I do see it being App. He didn't fit with the spread option at Michigan, and probably wouldn't fit our scheme.

whitey
February 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I do see it being App. He didn't fit with the spread option at Michigan, and probably wouldn't fit our scheme.

Same with JMU.

MplsBison
February 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
NDSU, on the other hand, is a NFL style offense.

He'd fit perfect!

Uncle Buck
February 16th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Transferred twice already? If i'm a coach, i have to be leery about giving the kid a scholarship if there's a chance he may transfer or quit altogether.

bluehenbillk
February 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
DELAWARE

Nah, we have our QB. I've seen Threet play, he did nothing for me.

GoGuins
February 16th, 2009, 12:56 PM
He wants to stay FBS and sit out another year

JMU Newbill
February 16th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Same with JMU.

I don't think I would take him over Dudzik at this point... even if our offensive system was condusive to Threet's skills. He won't land at JMU... you can take that to the bank.

jmufan999
February 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
i doubt it would be ASU or JMU... both programs already have competent or better QB's, and our QB's of the future. we're pretty good at that position. really, we need quality CB's. and not DB's in general, JUST CB's.

Uncle Buck
February 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I don't think I would take him over Dudzik at this point... even if our offensive system was condusive to Threet's skills. He won't land at JMU... you can take that to the bank.

IMO, he would have to be so head and shoulders above anyone else that i have before i take a chance on him. Like is said, you sign him on and you always have it in the back of your head that he is a "Threet" to leave. xlolx

Thank you, thank you, i'll be here all week.

jmufan999
February 16th, 2009, 01:07 PM
i doubt it would be ASU or JMU... both programs already have competent or better QB's, and our QB's of the future. we're pretty good at that position. really, we need quality CB's. and not DB's in general, JUST CB's.

ok i just realized that last part was confusing.

i just meant that we're usually pretty good at safety (5 straight years of having an all-american safety)...

GoGuins
February 16th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Transferred twice already? If i'm a coach, i have to be leery about giving the kid a scholarship if there's a chance he may transfer or quit altogether.

You can't blame him. He's from Adrian, MI and wanted badly to play for UofM out of high school, but Michigan signed a 5 star QB named Ryan Mallett (now at Arkansas), so he ended up at Georgia Tech. When Gailey left and Paul Johnson came in with the triple option, it didn't fit his style so he transferred to Michigan while Carr was still there. Then Carr retired and Rodriguez came in with his zone-read spread. Threet and walk-on Nick Sheridan where RR's only option at QB when he came in (besides true freshman Justin Feagin) after he lost out on the Terrelle Pryor sweepstakes.

Threet did the best he could trying to run an offense that doesn't suit his abilities. He always did his best and always gave 110% and I commend him for that. He is a class act and I've always heard great things about him on and off the field & wherever he lands, they will be getting a quality student athlete

He was an Elite 11 QB coming out of high school so he's no slouch. Yes he did struggle a lot in games this year, but in his defense 1)new offense 2)O-line struggled throughout the year. He took a pounding but got right back up. A shoulder injury kept him out of the last three games

Good Luck to "Bubba" wherever he goes

GoGuins
February 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM

One rumor I have heard if he does go FCS is UNI

I'm also reading he wants to stay close to home and play at Eastern Michigan under new EMU coach (and former Michigan D-coord) Ron English

Uncle Rico's Clan
February 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
DELAWARE

They could save some money and have him bring all his Michigan gear with him.

GannonFan
February 16th, 2009, 03:28 PM
They could save some money and have him bring all his Michigan gear with him.

Nah, they have a much darker blue than the Hens - wouldn't work for us. Besides, why'd he want to sit behind Devlin???

achrist70
February 16th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know if UNI would want him, I could see Indiana State, from seeing him play last year, he isn't all that talented.

already123
February 16th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I can see him at UNI or NDSU...both offenses seem to fit his abilities (based off of what I saw at michigan)

But hey, he could always end up and Deleware, SHSU, or NAU....they LOOOOOVE piling on transfer QBs!

ericsaid
February 16th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I read on a UM board that he is going to Minnesota.

GoGuins
February 16th, 2009, 07:08 PM
I read on a UM board that he is going to Minnesota.

That's BS, he won't transfer within the B10. He would have to pay his own way

JMU Newbill
February 17th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I can see him at UNI or NDSU...both offenses seem to fit his abilities (based off of what I saw at michigan)

But hey, he could always end up and Deleware, SHSU, or NAU....they LOOOOOVE piling on transfer QBs!

Doubt he's going to Delaware. No point after how excited hen nation is to get Pat Devlin.

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm all for giving kids a second chance.... but not a third. No way would I take him. xcoffeex

Lehigh Football Nation
February 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM

Wouldn't SDSU also be an option? Or Youngstown State? All four would seem to be possibilities.

Retro
February 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I don't why you guys get so excited about every little QB or other position player that transfer's from an FBS school.. Don't you have any faith in the player's you have? xrolleyesx
There is a reason they transfer and a lot of times it's because they simply aren't as good as what was originally thought or have character issues.xcoffeex

GoGuins
February 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Interesting article

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090217/SPORTS17/902170426

already123
February 17th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Wouldn't SDSU also be an option? Or Youngstown State? All four would seem to be possibilities.

Im sure they would, however, I have never seen those schools play...so I wouldnt know.

Also, SUU is a good QB and secondary away from being considerably competitive. Just a thought

GoGuins
February 17th, 2009, 05:20 PM
The latest I've heard from a reliable source is Threet is looking hard at Tennessee & Alabama. He has a history with Nick Saban.

nms1987
February 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
<i> I'm all for giving kids a second chance.... but not a third. No way would I take him. </i>

What does a second or third chance have to do with Threet?
It isn't like he has gotten kicked off of any teams or been suspended or failed out of school. Sheesh. Hes looking for a place to play football. So sue him.

The anti-transfer venom here is retarded.

nms1987
February 17th, 2009, 07:03 PM
<i>
I don't why you guys get so excited about every little QB or other position player that transfer's from an FBS school.. Don't you have any faith in the player's you have?
There is a reason they transfer and a lot of times it's because they simply aren't as good as what was originally thought or have character issues. </i>

Because FBS transfers often have alot more natural talent than whoever you would recruit out of HS to play QB for you. Not always of course, but Threet is obviously a gifted and still fairly young player.

Why WOULDNT you want to add all the talent you can to your team. It isn't like Threet is a kid that has been arrested, kicked off any teams or failed out of school.

Your post is like saying..
"I don't why you guys get so excited about every little FCS HS or JUCO recruit.. Don't you have any faith in the player's you have?
There is a reason they weren't recruited by FBS and a lot of times it's because they simply aren't big or fast enough to be good football players."

Face it, the guys who play FBS football are generally better. Not always certainly, hell no. But usually they are better. Almost every FCS player has some warts on him, thats why they are playing in the SoCon and Colonial instead of SEC and ACC. Some guys weren't fast enough, some were too short, some had bad grades in HS, some were in bad shape in HS, ect
Thats why they are in FCS

How about giving your COACHING STAFFS a little credit. If they bring in a transfer to play QB they probably think he is better than whoever would have started. Is it so hard to believe a QB good enough to be on scholly at Ga Tech and Michigan is a better starting candidate than most QBs even good FCS teams recruit out of HS?

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Because FBS transfers often have alot more natural talent than whoever you would recruit out of HS to play QB for you... Face it, the guys who play FBS football are generally better. Not always certainly, hell no. But usually they are better. Almost every FCS player has some warts on him... How about giving your COACHING STAFFS a little credit. If they bring in a transfer to play QB they probably think he is better than whoever would have started.

Is it so hard to believe a QB good enough to be on scholly at Ga Tech and Michigan is a better starting candidate than most QBs even good FCS teams recruit out of HS?Not hard to believe just the same as it isn't so hard to believe that these FBS are not good enough. Just because they played at FBS doesn't make them golden. Doesn't mean they have more natural talent, are better, doesn't have warts. Coaching staffs can and are often wrong. The fans of Georgia Southern know this as well as anybody, ever heard of Van Gorder? The top shelf list of FCS players is too long to go into and most of them chose to play where they are, many times over FBS overtures. Is that so hard to believe?

busybee14
February 17th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Alot of QBs,espescially the ones that are not an ideal size may have quite a few offers from FBS programs but dont want to change position,which is the case alot of times.So they CHOOSE to play1AA to stay behind center.This does not diminesh the quality of the athlete or in any way suggest that a transfer is better.If the kid transfering was that good he would be playing and not seeking a home elsewhere.

nms1987
February 17th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Busybee,

You know that Threet started every game he was healthy for at Mich last year and was currently sitting on the top of the depth chart when he left?

Its not like he wasn't good enough to play there. He, like others, didn't want to play for RichRod.

Hes now been recruited by two coaches who have retired/gotten fired after Threet came to school and the new coaches both installed option attacks.

Syntax Error
February 17th, 2009, 07:54 PM
... Hes now been recruited by two coaches who have retired/gotten fired after Threet came to school and the new coaches both installed option attacks.That situation is always a shame. Kids come in with such high hopes, then the staff leaves and often their place is not there anymore. It has ruined the career of more than one player.

busybee14
February 18th, 2009, 05:48 AM
That situation is always a shame. Kids come in with such high hopes, then the staff leaves and often their place is not there anymore. It has ruined the career of more than one player.

Its unfortunate,but it does happen.In my above post I wasnt referring to the U Mich situation as much as transfers down in general.I look at how many ath/QB michigan now has on its roster and it looks like a log jam as well.Cant blame the kid for leaving.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:04 AM
What does a second or third chance have to do with Threet?
It isn't like he has gotten kicked off of any teams or been suspended or failed out of school. Sheesh. Hes looking for a place to play football. So sue him.

The anti-transfer venom here is retarded.
I'm not anti-transfer, I'm anti-double-transfer. You make a commitment to a team. They call is signing day. Mistakes happen, sometimes you don't fit. So you transfer to someplace where you think you will fit. If it doesn't work out again, you have to realize the problem probably wasn't the two schools.

Rob Schoenhoft signed with Ohio State. Things didn't work out and they wanted to move him to tight end. So he came to Delaware who was in need of a starting QB. Things didn't work out and he was in the process of being moved to tight end. He has now declared that he will not be returning and instead will graduate and move into coaching.

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 09:09 AM
UMass maybe??

letsgopards04
February 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not anti-transfer, I'm anti-double-transfer. You make a commitment to a team. They call is signing day. Mistakes happen, sometimes you don't fit. So you transfer to someplace where you think you will fit. If it doesn't work out again, you have to realize the problem probably wasn't the two schools.

Rob Schoenhoft signed with Ohio State. Things didn't work out and they wanted to move him to tight end. So he came to Delaware who was in need of a starting QB. Things didn't work out and he was in the process of being moved to tight end. He has now declared that he will not be returning and instead will graduate and move into coaching.

I don't like the double transfer thing either but he keeps having coaches transfer on him. He obviously liked GT but they changed then UM changed too. Let's face it. College is at that level a conduit to the pros and he should have the right to find a place where he can be successful.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 09:30 AM
I don't like the double transfer thing either but he keeps having coaches transfer on him.
Perhaps this can be one exception that I'd have to make. I will retract my blanket statement. :o

nms1987
February 18th, 2009, 12:04 PM

The team/school is supposed to make a commitment to you too. Both schools/coaches/teams Threet committed to failed on following through on their commitment to him.
Its a two-way street.

Plus, the kid should always get the benefit of the doubt. College football's #1 priority shouldn't be teams, schools or coaches but it should be providing a great experience to student athletes.

A coach is being paid plenty and has a whole lifetime to do all the coaching he wants to do.
A player has a really short 5-year window to find a good situation, he can't get back a college career wasted on the bench.

He deserves every chance he can get. No one would bash a regular student who transfers.

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I'm not anti-transfer, I'm anti-double-transfer.

How about Devlin then? I ask because I'm not sure exactly what happened, but didn't he leave Miami because of a coaching change, and then leave PSU because lack of playing?

(apologies to the OP for my second threadjack of the day LOL)

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 01:54 PM
How about Devlin then? I ask because I'm not sure exactly what happened, but didn't he leave Miami because of a coaching change, and then leave PSU because lack of playing?
Devlin never actually went to Miami. xpeacex

LacesOut
February 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Devlin never actually went to Miami. xpeacex

But he committed to them, did he not?

If so, then maybe we have a new classification of transferring......the 'half transfer'! LOL

Devlin is not a one time transfer, nor a double transfer, he is a 1.5 transfer!! Oh boy I'm a genius sometimes.

89Hen
February 18th, 2009, 02:12 PM

If so, then maybe we have a new classification of transferring......the 'half transfer'! LOL

Devlin is not a one time transfer, nor a double transfer, he is a 1.5 transfer!! Oh boy I'm a genius sometimes.
I'm OK with 1.5 transfers. :p

UNI Pike
February 25th, 2009, 07:19 PM
BUMP

Any update on visits?

ValleyChamp
February 25th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Couple of Iowa DB's leaving school this week as well.

achrist70
February 25th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Those two would no doubt help our young secondary next year, I just don't know if they are interested in staying in state, and are they a package deal?

bluehenbillk
February 26th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Devlin verbally committed to Miami. However, after Miami got thrashed by LSU in a bowl game, Miami made wholesale coaching staff changes & Devlin decided to sign his LOI with Penn State instead on signing day.

JMU1992
February 26th, 2009, 07:22 AM
You can't blame him. He's from Adrian, MI and wanted badly to play for UofM out of high school, but Michigan signed a 5 star QB named Ryan Mallett (now at Arkansas), so he ended up at Georgia Tech. When Gailey left and Paul Johnson came in with the triple option, it didn't fit his style so he transferred to Michigan while Carr was still there.

I agree with most of what you ave said, but He left Ga Tech while Gailey was still there. He went back to Michigan I think just because he got home sick.

JMU1992
February 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM

I comletely disagree. He left GT because he realized he made a mistake by leaving Michigan. He would have started at GT if Gailey were still there. He then transferred to Michigan to play in a pro style offense, but Carr leaves and a spread offense is instated that does not fir his skill set. If hedoes not transfer, he will rarely play. That does not mean he is a bad QB, just not a good spread QB.

catamount man
February 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Seat16Demon
March 5th, 2009, 07:37 PM
If he really needs a home, we will consider letting him come south to Demonland.

catamount man
March 5th, 2009, 08:06 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

ValleyChamp
March 6th, 2009, 11:50 PM
Anyone heard anything about where he is actually going yet?

catamount man
March 7th, 2009, 07:31 AM
Anyone heard anything about where he is actually going yet?

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Seat16Demon
March 25th, 2009, 04:37 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

xwhistlexxwhistlexxwhistlexxthumbsupx

catamount man
March 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Whomever lands him........well, you've got a good one. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!