PDA

View Full Version : Next Armanti?

CatFan22
February 16th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Inspired by the Rodney Landers thread.

MSU signee Denarius McGhee.
6'0" 180+ lbs. QBed 5A Euless Trinity HS in Texas.
http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/trinity2.jpg

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeBzf4yyS90&feature=channel_page

Chi-towngrizzly
February 16th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Nothing overly impressive in McGehee's vid. None of his passes were into coverage and he slid a lot to avoid contact. This guy also is 5'10 tops.

Seems like a good 5A get from TX though. *edit* I just went back and read about this kid's high school. His team was ranked #1 in the country by Rivals in 2008 and he QB'd them to the TX 5A championship in 2007. 28-2 record as a starter. What the heck is this guy doing playing for MSU?

Did anyone else try to recruit this kid? Is he a non-qually? Legal issues? What gives?

CSUBUCDAD
February 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
According to Scout.com nobody was recruiting him.

AppAlum2003
February 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
When he wins the National Championship as a freshman with 0 FCS loses, we'll talk.

uofmman1122
February 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM
When he wins the National Championship as a freshman with 0 FCS loses, we'll talk.What if he loses in the second round in his junior year with 2 FCS losses? xlolx:p

Longrifle
February 16th, 2009, 11:03 AM
What if he loses in the second round in his junior year with 2 FCS losses? xlolx:p

Well, I guess if he does it in his junior year after winning two national championships, losing only to two FCS teams that were ranked either 2 (JMU) or winning the national championship (Richmond), while he needed surgery, then he can have a pass....

Canyoncat
February 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Nothing overly impressive in McGehee's vid. None of his passes were into coverage and he slid a lot to avoid contact. This guy also is 5'10 tops.

Seems like a good 5A get from TX though. *edit* I just went back and read about this kid's high school. His team was ranked #1 in the country by Rivals in 2008 and he QB'd them to the TX 5A championship in 2007. 28-2 record as a starter. What the heck is this guy doing playing for MSU?

Did anyone else try to recruit this kid? Is he a non-qually? Legal issues? What gives?

The kid will get a chance to compete for the QB position this fall per Coach Ash. However, I am hoping that he will redshirt and take over next year. As for the Edwards comparison, I am just hoping he is the first Denarius McGhee.

ericsaid
February 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I think Jamal Jackson who App picked up this year will be great. If anyone has a rivals subscription to watch his highlights you'll see why.

DLS
February 16th, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think Jamal Jackson who App picked up this year will be great. If anyone has a rivals subscription to watch his highlights you'll see why.

if not him then one of the other 6 or 7 qbs app picked to be just like armanti.

app might not be big or diversified in its recruiting but damn are we going to be fast.

its looks like we just went out and picked up a track team

bpcats
February 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I think that we would settle for a quarterback that completes most of his passes, is smart with the football and doesn't turn the ball over. If McGhee could do that, then MSU would be really happy.

Last year we ranked in the top 3 in the conference in total defense and rushing. However we were dead last in the passing game and were averaging 3-4 turnovers a game and still finished with a winning record. Any improvement at the qb position would be nice.

already123
February 16th, 2009, 05:49 PM
kudos to MSU for figuring out there is an abundance of talent in the state of TX.
MSU needs QB help
I like the way he plays, but he will have to put on weight in order to effectively use his speed in the BSC
(Lulay, Kriesien, Berquist, etc...) all BSC who had size and speed

already123
February 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
actually, on second look this guy isnt as good as I originally thought. You're probably better off using his as an athlete
Good luck though...

CatFan22
February 16th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to look at this thread in 4 years. :)

GOKATS
February 16th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I can't wait to look at this thread in 4 years. :)

Or 5xnodx. I know he's got talent and will get a shot, but there's a lot of talent with DI experience ahead of him plus a couple QB's that have been with the system a year, so unless he flat blows them out of the water I hope he gets a redshirt year.

CatFan22
February 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Or 5xnodx. I know he's got talent and will get a shot, but there's a lot of talent with DI experience ahead of him plus a couple QB's that have been with the system a year, so unless he flat blows them out of the water I hope he gets a redshirt year.

Oh, I hope he does too. I think every player will more than likely benefit from a redshirt year. I think he will start for us sooner rather than later.

Touchdown Yosef
February 16th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Hopefully the next armanti is either Deandre Presley or one of the 6 QB/ATH that we signed in this class. They are going to have to be able to run and we may need several of them if we have any injuries on the offensive line this year or next.