PDA

View Full Version : Belmont and Lipscomb to OVC?

Lehigh Football Nation
February 13th, 2009, 11:56 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090208/COLUMNIST0201/902080353/1002/SPORTS

I keep hearing the OVC is pursuing Belmont and Lipscomb to join. There was a time the two former NAIA schools preferred the OVC but were not welcomed because they don't play football.

While joining the OVC would cut down travel costs, Atlantic Sun teams get media exposure in North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia and Florida.

Wasn't there some rumblings about football at Belmont and Lipscomb of the non-scholarship FCS variety? If so, if they join the OVC they seem like a shoo-in to start football in the Pioneer if they want to go non-scholarship - or possibly the OVC otherwise. Thoughts?

IaaScribe
February 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I call BS on the media exposure in the A-Sun. The teams are all clear fourth or fifth fiddles in their markets -- North Florida in Jacksonville, USC Upstate in Spartanburg, Campbell is in the middle of nowhere and hardly gets any press coverage. Can't imagine Kennesaw gets a ton of press.

If I were Belmont and Lipscomb, I'd beg to get in the OVC. Ton of schools within quick driving distance of Nashville for all sports.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I call BS on the media exposure in the A-Sun. The teams are all clear fourth or fifth fiddles in their markets -- North Florida in Jacksonville, USC Upstate in Spartanburg, Campbell is in the middle of nowhere and hardly gets any press coverage. Can't imagine Kennesaw gets a ton of press.

If I were Belmont and Lipscomb, I'd beg to get in the OVC. Ton of schools within quick driving distance of Nashville for all sports.

Don't Forget ETSU!! Even though they're the only show in town (the Tri-Cities), they get upstaged by UT in local coverage.

g-webb1994
February 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I've been happy so far this year with the complete move G-W made to the Big South. Alot of more natural and closer rivalries.

Take the next two mens hoops games, today at 2 against High Point (heading over there in a minute), and next Wednesday Winthrop comes in for a game. Good stuff.

Belmont and Lipscomb are both top-notch schools, the OVC could use them.

ETSU getting football back would make them very inviting for the Big South.

Cocky
February 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The OVC will be looking to add some members soon. JSU is on the fast track to move to FBS so look for additional members to be added to the OVC in the true Ohio Valley area.

W. DeMontague
February 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
The OVC will be looking to add some members soon. JSU is on the fast track to move to FBS so look for additional members to be added to the OVC in the true Ohio Valley area.

Sun Belt?

mizzoufan1
February 14th, 2009, 09:33 PM
This is starting to feel like the beginnings of another major set of Conference shifts...

Now if the Big East would split it's basketball in two...

Cocky
February 14th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Sun Belt?
I have no idea and I'm not sure our leadership has any idea.

Model Citizen
February 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Wasn't there some rumblings about football at Belmont and Lipscomb of the non-scholarship FCS variety? If so, if they join the OVC they seem like a shoo-in to start football in the Pioneer if they want to go non-scholarship ...

Lipscomb, not Belmont. Not to state the obvious, but they don't have the money to add football at this point.