GT vs Jax State 9/5
Md vs JMU 9/12
Mia vs FAMU 10/10
UNC vs Citadel 9/5, vs GSU 10/10
NC STate vs Murray State 9/12, vs Gardner-Webb 9/19
UVA vs W&M 9/5
VT-none
Wake vs Elon 9/19.

If the timing works we get a ton of chances to see 1-AA football here in the Triangle with each school scheduling 2.

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 06:57 AM
I'm glad FSU is back to one FCS game. I may go to Tallahassee to see Perriloux, if I don't go a couple of weeks later to see Grothe get slapped around. xlolx

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not sure which case fits the ACC the best. Are they bed wetters who are scared to play App on a consistent basis, or are the geniuses for avoiding the possible "L" from a good FCS team.

I would say the first one because there are some quality squads on the list. They need to quit laying down the lame excuses and play ball with us.

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Three double dippers in the state of North Carolina? xconfusedx xsmhx

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Three double dippers in the state of North Carolina? xconfusedx xsmhx

Exactly, and out of those 6 games, only two are involving North Carolina FCS teams. UNC needs to start working better with the rest of the athletic departments in the state.

PhoenixPhan06
February 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Exactly, and out of those 6 games, only two are involving North Carolina FCS teams. UNC needs to start working better with the rest of the athletic departments in the state.

Yeah because the UNC vs CIT/GSU rivalries are so intense and great draws for local fans!

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
NCSt and UNC have no business playing two I-AA games. Just like any of our teams have no business playing two DII games. xcoolx

elon77
February 13th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Who has the best chance for a win out of those games? Elon? Richmond? JMU? W&M? or someone else? What say you.

89Hen
February 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Who has the best chance for a win out of those games? Elon? Richmond? JMU? W&M? or someone else? What say you.

Duke vs Richmond 9/5
UNC vs vs GSU 10/10
Only chances I see and the first one is the only one that wouldn't shock me. xpeacex

Longrifle
February 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
ACC released their schedule today here are the FCS-ACC matchup:

BC vs Northeastern 9/5
Clemson vs Coastal 10/31
Duke vs Richmond 9/5, vs NCCU 9/26
FSU vs Jax State 9/12
GT vs Jax State 9/5
Md vs JMU 9/12
Mia vs FAMU 10/10
UVA vs W&M 9/5
VT-none
Wake vs Elon 9/19.

If the timing works we get a ton of chances to see 1-AA football here in the Triangle with each school scheduling 2.

Not sure about what's returning at William and Mary, and how UVA will be this year, but there are several possible upsets on that list. Richmond should beat Duke, GSU could beat UNC, and Elon could surprise Wake.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM

I think there would have to be a couple of "perfect storms" for somebody to win one of these. The first is that it would have to be early in the season, so a 9/5 or possible 9/12 game.

The second is relatively close talent level.

The only one that really fits that bill is Duke-UR. But I was impressed enough with Duke last year that I will be surprised if that happens. I think Cutcliffe has the losing attitude on its way out at Duke.

Your question was who has the best chance and I think it has to be UR. But, I also think Elon will give Wake a run for their money.

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 10:00 AM
NCSt and UNC have no business playing two I-AA games. Just like any of our teams have no business playing two DII games. xcoolx

Even still, if you are going to have multiple "money games" I think that at least one should go to an state school. At least NCSU is giving Gardner-Web (Boiling Springs, NC) a chance.

Taking it a step further, with all of the state athletic budget crunches, wouldn't you think that state legislators would see the football "trickle down" effect as something they would want to keep? Yes, UNC, NCSU, and ECU all require large support from Raleigh, but if they are pumping money into those schools to go along with one of the largest populations of division 1 football programs in the nation, you would think that they would want to keep these funds "in house".

PhoenixPhan06
February 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM

I agree that these schools shouldn't schedule more than 1 FCS team and there should be some thought put into making some rules on that very same thing.

With that said, I like:

Richmond over Duke: Sure the Devils are quietly building a solid foundation under the direction of David Cutcliff, but the Spiders have been a solid FCS team for a while now and are still buzzin from their NC
JMU over Maryland: Maryland is a hard team to gauge but with a new head coach in place, they're suseptable to an upset, and who better than the Dukes to deliver?
Elon over Wake: This will be a great game for many reasons and I applaud those responsible for getting this one on the schedule for 2009! Both schools are small, elite private universities only a short drive from each other. Both teams recruit simlar in-state players from the triad every year and both have experienced success at their respective levels. I think Elon can sneak one by Wake since we have less personel turnover from the '08 season and an explosive offense led by Scott Riddle, Terrell Hudgins, and Brandon Newsome. I think these guys will benefit from the graduation of All-Everything Players LB Aaron Curry and CB Alphonso Smith and hopefully keep the Phoenix in the game until the final horn. Without question, this will be one of, if not the, biggest game in our program's history and a win will help to silence all the critics.

PhoenixPhan06
February 13th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Even still, if you are going to have multiple "money games" I think that at least one should go to an state school. At least NCSU is giving Gardner-Web (Boiling Springs, NC) a chance.

Taking it a step further, with all of the state athletic budget crunches, wouldn't you think that state legislators would see the football "trickle down" effect as something they would want to keep? Yes, UNC, NCSU, and ECU all require large support from Raleigh, but if they are pumping money into those schools to go along with one of the largest populations of division 1 football programs in the nation, you would think that they would want to keep these funds "in house".

Sometimes things just make too much sense!

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I agree that these schools shouldn't schedule more than 1 FCS team and there should be some thought put into making some rules on that very same thing.

With that said, I like:

Richmond over Duke: Sure the Devils are quietly building a solid foundation under the direction of David Cutcliff, but the Spiders have been a solid FCS team for a while now and are still buzzin from their NC
JMU over Maryland: Maryland is a hard team to gauge but with a new head coach in place, they're suseptable to an upset, and who better than the Dukes to deliver?
Elon over Wake: This will be a great game for many reasons and I applaud those responsible for getting this one on the schedule for 2009! Both schools are small, elite private universities only a short drive from each other. Both teams recruit simlar in-state players from the triad every year and both have experienced success at their respective levels. I think Elon can sneak one by Wake since we have less personel turnover from the '08 season and an explosive offense led by Scott Riddle, Terrell Hudgins, and Brandon Newsome. I think these guys will benefit from the graduation of All-Everything Players LB Aaron Curry and CB Alphonso Smith and hopefully keep the Phoenix in the game until the final horn. Without question, this will be one of, if not the, biggest game in our program's history and a win will help to silence all the critics.
Coach Friedgen is still at Maryland.

Appinator
February 13th, 2009, 12:32 PM

With that said, I like:

If Landers was still with the Dukes, I would say that they had the best shot. I think Wake's defense will be on the decline yet again next year, and if Elon can contain Skinner, they move into the top spot for the most likely upset.

Richmond has a lot returning, but I think Duke is ready to have a much better year than they were at the beginning of last season.

appstate38
February 13th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Any chance we can talk GSU or The Cit into letting us play the Heels in their place????

elon77
February 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I think there would have to be a couple of "perfect storms" for somebody to win one of these. The first is that it would have to be early in the season, so a 9/5 or possible 9/12 game.

The second is relatively close talent level.

The only one that really fits that bill is Duke-UR. But I was impressed enough with Duke last year that I will be surprised if that happens. I think Cutcliffe has the losing attitude on its way out at Duke.

Your question was who has the best chance and I think it has to be UR. But, I also think Elon will give Wake a run for their money.

You brought a grin to my face, but I think and will continue to think that JMU has the best chance of all the teams.

nwFL Griz
February 13th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The best chance for an upset, I believe, is Richmond over Duke.

But reality is, the ACC will go 14-0 vs FCS.

ur2k
February 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Not sure about what's returning at William and Mary, and how UVA will be this year, but there are several possible upsets on that list. Richmond should beat Duke, GSU could beat UNC, and Elon could surprise Wake.

Richmond shouldn't beat Duke. But can they? Yes. It happened a few years ago.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 13th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure which case fits the ACC the best. Are they bed wetters who are scared to play App on a consistent basis, or are the geniuses for avoiding the possible "L" from a good FCS team.

I would say the first one because there are some quality squads on the list. They need to quit laying down the lame excuses and play ball with us.

If they were scared to play Appy they wouldn't have scheduled 2 teams better than Appy .....

WMTribe90
February 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
BC vs Northeastern 9/5
Clemson vs Coastal 10/31
Duke vs Richmond 9/5, vs NCCU 9/26
FSU vs Jax State 9/12
GT vs Jax State 9/5
Md vs JMU 9/12
Mia vs FAMU 10/10
UVA vs W&M 9/5
VT-none
Wake vs Elon 9/19.

I think an FCS team wins at least one of these games. Best bets:

1) UR vs Duke. Spiders beat Duke a few years back, regularly play up in IA games and are coming off the NC. Negatives, Duke is improving, more confident and UR lost their very talented DC, Russ Huesman.

2) WM vs UVA. WM returns the bulk of a 7-4 squad and starts a QB with starting experience. WM typically plays up to IA competition and was competitive at NCST last year. UVA went 5-7 last year and droped their last four. UVA will aslo be breaking in a new OC and new DC. Should be a good WM contingent in Charlotteville to cheer on the Tribe too.

3) JMU vs MD. MD is a hard team to figure, they do seem to play to the level of the opposition and let an average UD squad hang around to the very end last year before winning 14-7. I would put the upset potential here higher if it wasn't for JMU's poor track record against IA opponents. JMU rarely keeps these games close. Matthews is not a fan of these IA games and approaches them primarily as a pay-day for showing up. Unfortuantely, this appears to rub off on the players to some degree. JMU certainly has the horses to pull it off though.

4) Elon vs Wake. Elon has improved al ot in the last two years, but based on last year I'm not convinced they reached the top rung of FCS programs just yet. A win over Wake would certainly silence the remaining doubters. Wake is now a solid ACC program though and I think they'll be ready to play.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 13th, 2009, 02:34 PM
For the App. people complaining about UNC not wanting to play them, I think you know very well why they do not want to play you. Unfortunatly for UNC, I don't think they have any idea of what it is they are getting into with their game versus GSU. The GSU team will be better than last year's McNeese team that stayed in the game until the very end. I think it's a winnable game. UNC is not as good as people think they are.

mainejeff
February 13th, 2009, 03:13 PM
I think that Maine at Syracuse is a decent possibility for an upset.

Touchdown Yosef
February 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM
For the App. people complaining about UNC not wanting to play them, I think you know very well why they do not want to play you. Unfortunatly for UNC, I don't think they have any idea of what it is they are getting into with their game versus GSU. The GSU team will be better than last year's McNeese team that stayed in the game until the very end. I think it's a winnable game. UNC is not as good as people think they are.

You are on the money with that and UNC has not played well in their FCS games in recent memory.

Touchdown Yosef
February 13th, 2009, 03:24 PM

With that said, I like:

Nothing against JMU but I don't hold out hope for them in any FBS game they just don't seem to show up. I believe MM goes to collect his check and keep the playbook closed as much as possible. I still wish them all the luck but I don't see it happening.

apaladin
February 13th, 2009, 08:15 PM
NC State really is going out on a limb, huh? How about Duke scheduling D-II in transition NCCU. Just a sign of the times. A team that moved up would take years to show up on an FBS schedule, now the FBS'ers don't even wait until they are thru with their transition.

furpal87
February 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I think the comment about Md. is they've named a head coach in waiting for I think after 2011, when Fridgen's contract is up.

furpal87
February 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM
The whole ACC out of conference is a joke with the exception of:
The traditional rivalries: Ga-GT, Clem-SC, Fla-FSU, and for one more year since ND is sick of getting beat BC-ND
FSU and Miami are good other than the 1-aa game: FSU goes to BYU and plays USF; Miami plays OKL and USF
VT plays no FCS games and plays Nebraska, Alabama, Marshall and at ECU
Everyone else is a joke! All may have one somewhat tough game, but not much other efforst was made.

whitey
February 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
I believe MM goes to collect his check and keep the playbook closed as much as possible. I still wish them all the luck but I don't see it happening.

Yep, pretty much.

elon77
February 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
The traditional rivalries: Ga-GT, Clem-SC, Fla-FSU, and for one more year since ND is sick of getting beat BC-ND
FSU and Miami are good other than the 1-aa game: FSU goes to BYU and plays USF; Miami plays OKL and USF
Everyone else is a joke! All may have one somewhat tough game, but not much other efforst was made.

Take out Marshall and VT's out of conference is pretty stout. What a switch, usually they load up with cupcakes. They better be good this year like predicted.

g-webb1994
February 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
After we went to Atlanta and nearly beat GT last year, I expect us to show and play well in Raleigh. State is more overrated than UNC.

FUwolfpacker
February 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
State is more overrated than UNC.

That's ridiculous.xrolleyesx Who didn't meet expectations last year? All the media outlets were hyping UNC to be the next great powerhouse (they may still become that, but they certainly aren't there yet). They went 8-5 (4-4 in the conference) including losses in 3 out of their last 4. NC State did about what was expected of them while playing at one point with as many as 9 starters out with serious knee injuries. They did manage to beat UNC 41-10 thoughxnodx. Both teams should be better this year, but to say that State is more overrated than UNC is a stretch. I could probably give you as overrated, but I still don't believe that. However, I'm a little biased xsmiley_wix

Good luck in Raleigh though. William & Mary gave them all they could handle last year.FWIW, I also think it's ridiculous that State is playing 2 FCS teams, but I digress.

Back to the topic...as far as the ACC/FCS games go...

JMU should have a shot at Maryland as long as the Terps continue to be inconsistent.

I was tempted to say Elon considering all Wake lost on the defensive side of the ball, but Grobe usually finds a way. Should be a fun game to watch though.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Silly FCS teams Wofford will be the only team to beat a ACC team and it'll be GT in a couple years (just kidding).

However, Wofford has scheduled Ohio in the future(NOT OHIO STATE BUT OHIO AS IN THE GREEN TEAM) and I honestly think we could win that game by a TD or 2.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
JMU should have a shot at Maryland as long as the Terps continue to be inconsistent.

Not if MM runs a vanilla O against them. What? Do people genuinely think the worst team in the ACC was 24 points better than JMU was last year?

FUwolfpacker
February 15th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Not if MM runs a vanilla O against them. What? Do people genuinely think the worst team in the ACC was 24 points better than JMU was last year?

Not saying JMU will win (or even really try to as it's been pointed out in this thread). My point had more to do with Maryland than JMU.

Look at a few of their head scratchers last year.

After barely being what turned out to be a pretty rough Delaware team, they turn around and lose to MTSU. Only to follow that up by beating a then top 25 Cal team.

Later in the season they beat Clemson, and then get their doors blown off by the ACC's 2nd worse team, Virginia (31-0). Of course then they follow that up by beating Wake Forest.

GaSouthern
February 15th, 2009, 05:46 PM
After we went to Atlanta and nearly beat GT last year, I expect us to show and play well in Raleigh. State is more overrated than UNC.

There could not have been more of a perfect storm for you guys to upset GT. Your game in Raleigh will not be as good i'm sorry to say.

UNC should beat GSU soundly but we have as much of a shot as Cit at worst.

Big Dawg
February 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
FAMU vs. Miami...It would be nice to beat the Hurricanes again.

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 07:40 AM
If Maryland plays down to their competition and JMU plays its normal I-A/FBS game, that one could be a REAL snoozer. I'm thinking 3-2, Maryland wins it with a walk off HR.

JMU Newbill
February 16th, 2009, 08:02 AM
If Maryland plays down to their competition and JMU plays its normal I-A/FBS game, that one could be a REAL snoozer. I'm thinking 3-2, Maryland wins it with a walk off HR.

I hate to admit it, but you are probably closer to being right than we would all like to think.

appmaj
February 16th, 2009, 08:28 AM
If they were scared to play Appy they wouldn't have scheduled 2 teams better than Appy .....

Appalachian State 8 0
Wofford 7 1
Elon 6 2
Furman 4 4
Georgia Southern 4 4
Samford 4 4
Citadel 2 6
Western Carolina 1 7
Chattanooga 0 8

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Appalachian State 8 0
Wofford 7 1
Elon 6 2
Furman 4 4
Georgia Southern 4 4
Samford 4 4
Citadel 2 6
Western Carolina 1 7
Chattanooga 0 8

I think he was talking about the ACC in general and JMU and UR. Stirring the pot, so to speak...

FWIW, I think there's some validity to the paranoia that the NC FBS teams won't play App. They would be favored to win any game, but the chance they would lose would devastate the fan base of whichever school lost.

nwFL Griz
February 16th, 2009, 11:25 AM
FAMU vs. Miami...It would be nice to beat the Hurricanes again.

This isn't 1979, so I would expect a beat down.

appmaj
February 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think he was talking about the ACC in general and JMU and UR. Stirring the pot, so to speak...

FWIW, I think there's some validity to the paranoia that the NC FBS teams won't play App. They would be favored to win any game, but the chance they would lose would devastate the fan base of whichever school lost.

That would kind of be the point for us I think.....xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
February 16th, 2009, 01:11 PM
This isn't 1979, so I would expect a beat down.

That's why we play the game...

jaxstatealum
February 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Come on guys... no love for the Gamecocks over FSU xlolx xlolx

Okay seriously...

I too think Duke is going to be better - one day; however, like most everyone else I think that Richmond beating them is the most realistic shot at winning.

There are some others that could pull off an upset, but not likely. Hey, Any Given Saturday xsmiley_wix

GaSouthern
February 16th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I hope with all hope that GSU can get over this slump of never beating a FBS school. I am going to bring a sign to the UNC game...

Beating you Furman Style
Like it's 1999!

89Hen
February 17th, 2009, 09:25 AM
BC vs ND
NCSt vs South Carolina
NCSt vs Pitt
Maryland vs Cal
Maryland vs Rutgers
UVA vs SoMiss
UVA vs TCU
Duke vs Kansas
Miami vs Oklahoma
Miami vs USF
VT vs Alabama
VT vs Nebraska
FSU vs BYU
FSU vs Florida
UNC vs UConn

SEC OOC games...

Alabama: VaTech, FlaInt, N Texas, UT-Chat
Arkansas: Missouri State, @TexA&M, EMich, Troy
Auburn: La Tech, West Virginia, Ball St, Furman
LSU: @Washington, UL Laf, Tulane, LaTech
MSU: Jackson State, GaTech, Hou, @MTSU
Ole Miss: @Memphis, USL, UAB
Florida: Chuck So, Troy, FlaInt, FSU
Georgia: @OKState, AZSt, TennTech, @GTech
Kentucky: Louisville, LA Monroe, EKU
South Carolina: @NCState, FlaAtl, SC St, Clem
Tennessee: WKU, UCLA, Ohio, Memphis
Vanderbilt: WCarolina, @Rice, @Army, GaTech

Is there really a difference?? xconfusedx

813Jag
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 AM
BC vs ND
NCSt vs South Carolina
NCSt vs Pitt
Maryland vs Cal
Maryland vs Rutgers
UVA vs SoMiss
UVA vs TCU
Duke vs Kansas
Miami vs Oklahoma
Miami vs USF
VT vs Alabama
VT vs Nebraska
FSU vs BYU
FSU vs Florida
UNC vs UConn

SEC OOC games...

Alabama: VaTech, FlaInt, N Texas, UT-Chat
Arkansas: Missouri State, @TexA&M, EMich, Troy
Auburn: La Tech, West Virginia, Ball St, Furman
LSU: @Washington, UL Laf, Tulane, LaTech
MSU: Jackson State, GaTech, Hou, @MTSU
Ole Miss: @Memphis, USL, UAB
Florida: Chuck So, Troy, FlaInt, FSU
Georgia: @OKState, AZSt, TennTech, @GTech
Kentucky: Louisville, LA Monroe, EKU
South Carolina: @NCState, FlaAtl, SC St, Clem
Tennessee: WKU, UCLA, Ohio, Memphis
Vanderbilt: WCarolina, @Rice, @Army, GaTech

Is there really a difference?? xconfusedx
Wow! LSU actually playing a road OOC game. xeekx

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 17th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Ya that was my point. Just using transitive logic, haha.

catdaddy2402
February 18th, 2009, 12:41 AM
Wow! LSU actually playing a road OOC game. xeekx

Think that's shocking....try this....

Georgia is playing an OOC game on the road that they can't take a short bus trip to for the first time since playing Tulane in New Orleans

in 1972.