PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Henton walks off field during mat drills, quits team

blueballs
February 11th, 2009, 02:02 PM
According to reports from the GSU campus, Henton and another RS OL quit on their teammates during mat drills and walked off the field Monday. It has also been reported that he has cleaned out his dorm room and gone home.

That pretty much leaves the QB job to Lee Chapple, Kyle Collins and Billy Lowe, who was Foster's backup in 2007 but missed 2008 with injury. The GSU team will be in good hands at the QB position despite this.

Henton has now quit on two programs (Ohio State and GSU) and two sets of teammates within a 12 month period as well as his high school coach who was his OC at GSU. IMO this will probably signal the end of his college football career and I find it difficult to fathom how he'll ever get a college degree. He'll regret this for the rest of his life.

What a waste...

813Jag
February 11th, 2009, 02:04 PM
According to reports from the GSU campus, Henton and another RS OL quit on their teammates during mat drills and walked off the field Monday. It has also been reported that he has cleaned out his dorm room and gone home.

That pretty much leaves the QB job to Lee Chapple, Kyle Collins and Billy Lowe, who was Foster's backup in 2007 but missed 2008 with injury. The GSU team will be in good hands at the QB position despite this.

Henton has now quit on two programs (Ohio State and GSU) and two sets of teammates within a 12 month period as well as his high school coach who was his OC at GSU. IMO this will probably signal the end of his college football career and I find it difficult to fathom how he'll ever get a college degree. He'll regret this for the rest of his life.

What a waste...
He quit because he didn't want to work hard? GSU is better off without him. He could have quit on you guys in midseason. xnonono2x

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 02:05 PM

What a waste...

Sorry for the ignorance, but was this No. 7 from last year?

EDIT: Looked it up. It is him. The games I saw him in last year he looked really talented. Too bad his attitude is so bad. As 813 said, you guys are better off without him.

GATA
February 11th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Sorry for the ignorance, but was this No. 7 from last year?

EDIT: Looked it up. It is him. The games I saw him in last year he looked really talented. Too bad his attitude is so bad. As 813 said, you guys are better off without him.

Yeah he had some talent, but he never did quite enough to keep the freshman (Lee Chapple) off of the field. chapple was more a pocket passer and he was way more accurate. Henton was more of just a "playmaker".

It sucks that he quit the team, but I think that Chapple is the real deal and we should be fine...we'll probably throw the ball 50+ times a game now...

T-Dog
February 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
He had a heck of a game against us last year, despite the two INT's on the goal line in the final two minutes. Sounds like his heart isn't into it. Going from big time Ohio State QB recruit to this is something.

This reminds me of that Elaine Della Donna, that female basketball player who was an All-American in high school, as supposed to be the new face of women's basketball, got a scholarship to UConn, went there over the summer and then quit basketball all together two weeks in because she hated basketball so much.

For his sake I hope he enrolls in community college or junior college so he can get his degree.

Eaglesrus
February 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry to see him do this but I think he has hurt himself a whole lot more than he did the team. Now that we have a group of O-lineman that have played together for a year and a couple more coming in that appear to be good prospects I wasn't expecting him to be the starter in '09, anyway. No doubt in my mind that we have a couple of better passers than Henton.

mcveyrl
February 11th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I'm sorry to see him do this but I think he has hurt himself a whole lot more than he did the team. Now that we have a group of O-lineman that have played together for a year and a couple more coming in that appear to be good prospects I wasn't expecting him to be the starter in '09, anyway. No doubt in my mind that we have a couple of better passers than Henton.

That may have something to do with him walking off.

ChickenMan
February 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM
It sucks that he quit the team, but I think that Chapple is the real deal and we should be fine...we'll probably throw the ball 50+ times a game now...

http://www.visitstatesboroga.com/images/h3.jpg

Throw it 50+ times a game??? He must be spinning in his grave... :p

Lehigh Football Nation
February 11th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Interesting report card on the high-profile QB transfers from FBS schools at FCS schools.

Henton (GSU) - stunk at passing, then quit the team. (Probably should have agreed to play at RB.)

Schoenhoft (Delaware) - stunk. Now Delaware gets a Penn State transfer to replace him.

Perriloux (Jacksonville State) - played by far the best of the three, but finished out of the running for the OVC title and the FCS playoffs.

PaladinFan
February 11th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Shame. Good player.

citdog
February 11th, 2009, 04:16 PM
HILIARIOUS! I GUESS THE HO'S WEREN'T WORTH "HANGIN OUT FOR" IN PIGS ASS......THIS CONVICTED CRIMINAL AND THAT SORRY EXCUSE FOR AN INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING DESERVE EACH OTHER.

GATA
February 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
HILIARIOUS! I GUESS THE HO'S WEREN'T WORTH "HANGIN OUT FOR" IN PIGS ASS......THIS CONVICTED CRIMINAL AND THAT SORRY EXCUSE FOR AN INSTITUTION OF HIGHER LEARNING DESERVE EACH OTHER.

I had a guy tell me one time that he got kicked out of THE CITADEL for eating brownies...

citdog
February 11th, 2009, 05:25 PM
I had a guy tell me one time that he got kicked out of THE CITADEL for eating brownies...

THAT GATA WAS A very poor ATTEMPT AT HUMOR...........NOT EVEN YOUR WHITE TRASH BROTHERS FROM PIGS ASS ARE LAUGHING........BUT THE whole conference and the entire fcs is laughing AT YOU.

blueballs
February 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM
HILIARIOUS! I GUESS THE HO'S WEREN'T WORTH "HANGIN OUT FOR" IN PIGS ASS......

He couldn't afford the fine women of GSU, which caused him to become frustrated.

All he needed was a hug and a pat on the ass, you Citadel boys know that feeling, right?xbawlingx

Seven Would Be Nice
February 11th, 2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.visitstatesboroga.com/images/h3.jpg

Throw it 50+ times a game??? He must be spinning in his grave... :p

In the words of Chris Hatcher.. our offense is very similar, now we just "pitch it forward". :D:D

ButlerGSU
February 11th, 2009, 08:21 PM
From what I hear the off season drills are brutal and after watching the Furman game last season he probably saw the writing on the wall... best of luck to him in life.

Franks Tanks
February 11th, 2009, 08:24 PM
He had a heck of a game against us last year, despite the two INT's on the goal line in the final two minutes. Sounds like his heart isn't into it. Going from big time Ohio State QB recruit to this is something.

This reminds me of that Elaine Della Donna, that female basketball player who was an All-American in high school, as supposed to be the new face of women's basketball, got a scholarship to UConn, went there over the summer and then quit basketball all together two weeks in because she hated basketball so much.

For his sake I hope he enrolls in community college or junior college so he can get his degree.

She actually now plays volleyball for Delaware and is doing very well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7tQn3bQns1E/SLNKp_b9x9I/AAAAAAAAAK8/H65g-zbynrc/s320/DelleDonne19.JPG

So what I am saying is that Delaware seems to be the place for transfers, maybe this kid should go there.

seantaylor
February 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Chapple is the better player by far anyway. If Billy Lowe is fully healthy, Henton would have been third string anyway.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Do I even want to ask -- what is a mat drill?

And is there any logical reason to assume that it has some relevance to football-related conditioning?

Maverick
February 12th, 2009, 09:50 AM
BS Bison showing the in-depth knowledge of college football that forms the basis for the many posts on this board!xlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehxxnodxxnodx

Mat drills which may be referenced under other names are conditioning/agility that were done indoors on hard floors hence the need for mats since the drills can vary in terms of impact based on the various moves used. Some may seem more gymnastics such as the three-man roll as well as various forward rolls and lots of bear crawls and crab walking. A very exquisite form of exercise/torture that coaches for many decades have adapted from many sources. Why don't you ask your head coach to give you specific examples from their off-season program?

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 10:02 AM
BS Bison showing the in-depth knowledge of college football that forms the basis for the many posts on this board!xlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehxxnodxxnodx

Mat drills which may be referenced under other names are conditioning/agility that were done indoors on hard floors hence the need for mats since the drills can vary in terms of impact based on the various moves used. Some may seem more gymnastics such as the three-man roll as well as various forward rolls and lots of bear crawls and crab walking. A very exquisite form of exercise/torture that coaches for many decades have adapted from many sources. Why don't you ask your head coach to give you specific examples from their off-season program?

Ugh. As I thought.

Some crazy ass southern conditioning coach ate too much grits and fried okra one day and dreamed up the weirdest, least football related form of exercise he could and sold it to the head coach as a way to "tou'en 'em boys up!".

This crap always comes from the south.

GoBlueHens83
February 12th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Here's a little article I found on mat drills. It's from 2005, but it looks to be the same as what Maverick was saying.

http://www.gatorcountry.org/wearetheboys/?p=67

813Jag
February 12th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Ugh. As I thought.

Some crazy ass southern conditioning coach ate too much grits and fried okra one day and dreamed up the weirdest, least football related form of exercise he could and sold it to the head coach as a way to "tou'en 'em boys up!".

Too bad you wouldn't be available to run levees with our team. At least I wouldn't hear your foolishness for awhile. xlolx

Add a new one to the list: coaches in the South created conditioning drills.

trusty
February 12th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Here's a little article I found on mat drills. It's from 2005, but it looks to be the same as what Maverick was saying.

http://www.gatorcountry.org/wearetheboys/?p=67

I guess UF has no clue what they are doing, huh?.xrolleyesx

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Ugh. As I thought.

Mat drills do appear to only exist in the South. You may remember that LB at Florida State with the twin brother WR died a few years back doing Mat drills.

Maverick
February 12th, 2009, 10:37 AM
BS Bison,
I appreciate your willingness to share your small-mindedness with us, but upon what basis do you make the claim for the mat drill to be a southern creation? The origins of such training may well be military in nature or even have been used by schools where the weather is such that during the winter access to the outside is limited which would eliminate many of the areas you seek to disparage. Why don't you utilize those vast skills in research that lead you to your enlightenment on field surfaces and HBCU student diversity, as well as other things to substantiate your claim. On the hand, you can just sit there and talk out your backside as usual!:D:D:Dxnodxxnodxxnodxxsmiley_wixxsmiley_wix

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Mat drills do appear to only exist in the South. You may remember that LB at Florida State with the twin brother WR died a few years back doing Mat drills.

No kidding.

"Coach I got it! Croc runs! THat'll tou'en 'em boys up! Have 'em run through the swamp with a big ol' crock chasin' after 'em!".

How about sprinting and lifting weights? Just not good enough, is it?

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

citdog
February 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM

hey frank the thought of something not being easy makes you want to quit again don't it....

citdog
February 12th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Ugh. As I thought.

AND THE BEST FOOTBALL IS PLAYED IN THE 11 STATES OF THE FORMER CONFEDERACY.........COINCIDENCE?

blueballs
February 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
No kidding.

"Coach I got it! Croc runs! THat'll tou'en 'em boys up! Have 'em run through the swamp with a big ol' crock chasin' after 'em!".

There are no crocs in the south, except for the stupid shoes.

We have alligators in the south...

...come down for a visit, you can rent a boat and go out and feed some of 'em. The best time to do it is in late April/early May and at night close to shore.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 01:18 PM
AND THE BEST FOOTBALL IS PLAYED IN THE 11 STATES OF THE FORMER CONFEDERACY.........COINCIDENCE?

No it's not.

The reason is that those states have the highest number of african-americans and we all know that african-americans are faster on average than the other races.

blueballs
February 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
No it's not.

The reason is that those states have the highest number of african-americans and we all know that african-americans are faster on average than the other races.

That's rich... I wonder if Usain Bolt knew he was african american.

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 01:22 PM
hey frank the thought of something not being easy makes you want to quit again don't it....

Ok little man. Let me see you go through a Division I college football practice-- HA you would die.

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM

I'm pretty sure Usain Bolt is of African descent

eagleruckus
February 12th, 2009, 01:27 PM
i wonder if urban meyer had his players run mat drills at utah? the idea that mat drills and similar drills are only ran in the south east seems rediculous. Henton won't be missed, he wasn't going to start this season anyway.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 01:44 PM

He doesn't live in the southeast US. If he did, he would be an african american.

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 01:53 PM
i wonder if urban meyer had his players run mat drills at utah? the idea that mat drills and similar drills are only ran in the south east seems rediculous. Henton won't be missed, he wasn't going to start this season anyway.

I think the term "mat drills" is more of a southern one. Yes of course I did similar drills and conditioning, but nobody ever referred to it as mat drills. So I shall clarify-- these drills exist in many places however it seems that the term is used down south and they perhaps speak about these type drills more often.

citdog
February 12th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Ok little man. Let me see you go through a Division I college football practice-- HA you would die.

i went through them for 5 seasons frank. i'd like to see your..........edited by Citdog so as not to hurt frankies little feelings....

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM
i went through them for 5 seasons frank. i'd like to see your cowardly, quitting, sorry excuse for a man on the battlefield.......YOU WOULD DIE....AND PROBABLY GET ALOT OF OTHERS KILLED AS WELL

What position did you play-- kicker? That would be the only position available for 5' 7' guys with beer guts I would imagine. I didnt serve my country, thats true, but neither do something like half of those that graduate from the Citadel. Be proud of your service, but that doesnt give you the lisense to be a complete jerk-off for the rest of your life.

Also dont you have a civil war re-enactment to get to? Or is the dungeons & dragons club taking place at the same time so you have a real conflict?

citdog
February 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
What position did you play-- kicker? That would be the only position available for 5' 7' guys with beer guts I would imagine. I didnt serve my country, thats true, but neither do something like half of those that graduate from the Citadel. Be proud of your service, but that doesnt give you the lisense to be a complete jerk-off for the rest of your life.

Also dont you have a civil war re-enactment to get to? Or is the dungeons & dragons club taking place at the same time so you have a real conflict?

you're damn right i was a P/K.......i actually scored points for my team.

i'm fomenting the real thing boy.....not a re-enactment

dd is your domain.....or did you quit that when it got difficult as well.

Franks Tanks
February 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM
you're damn right i was a P/K.......i actually scored points for my team.

i'm fomenting the real thing boy.....not a re-enactment

dd is your domain.....or did you quit that when it got difficult as well.

Kickers are in a different world. You should've realized that in practice when you were doing nothing while everyone else was hitting. You probably had one of those nice shiny helmets from never getting hit or dirty.

Again all I can say is be proud that you served-- thanks and congrats. But why dont you make fun of all those other Citadel grads that have the exact same amount of militray service as I.

citdog
February 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Kickers are in a different world. You should've realized that in practice when you were doing nothing while everyone else was hitting. You probably had one of those nice shiny helmets from never getting hit or dirty.

Again all I can say is be proud that you served-- thanks and congrats. But why dont you make fun of all those other Citadel grads that have the exact same amount of militray service as I.

i was doing something......i was practicing doing something that you lineman can never do..........WIN THE GAME in the last 10 seconds.......

your welcome........it is not my duty and is not right to speak ill of these gentleman.....they are citizen soldiers......and only wait for the call

eaglewraith
February 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
I think mat drills are working for our players since I rarely saw any of our players cramp during a game or wilt under the oppressive heat in the early part of the season. Our conditioning is getting better and those kids will be even stronger this year.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I think mat drills are working for our players since I rarely saw any of our players cramp during a game or wilt under the oppressive heat in the early part of the season. Our conditioning is getting better and those kids will be even stronger this year.

Rolling around on a mat does not condition a person to play football.

Sorry, it doesn't.

GATA
February 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM
He doesn't live in the southeast US. If he did, he would be an african american.

"African American" might be the dumbest term on the planet.

What do they call black British citizens..."African American?"..."African British"...it's retarded.

GATA
February 12th, 2009, 04:19 PM

Sorry, it doesn't.

You clearly haven't been through mat drills before...they're the worst thing ever. They just LOOK easy.

Truth is...pretty much all drills coaches run for "conditioning" are stupid and don't translate to football whatsoever. BUT any kind of cardiovascular work can't hurt. It certainly isn't going to make you LESS in shape.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 04:33 PM

What do they call black British citizens..."African American?"..."African British"...it's retarded.

I was trying to be polite and not say black.

But yes, all top sprinters have skin with vastly increased amounts of pigment.

Having a lot of pigment in your skin doesn't make you a good sprinter, however.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
You clearly haven't been through mat drills before...they're the worst thing ever. They just LOOK easy.

Truth is...pretty much all drills coaches run for "conditioning" are stupid and don't translate to football whatsoever. BUT any kind of cardiovascular work can't hurt. It certainly isn't going to make you LESS in shape.

I didn't say that they aren't hard. I'm sure they're quite grueling.

I said that they don't condition a person to play football.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 04:49 PM

I Haven't played D1 football but I can tell you that it doesn't stand a chance against wrestling (my middle school was probably the hardest practice in the state not a college)

I believe the idea of dot drills is to get more full body strength and stamina at the same time. Lifting weights doesn't do that, I lift every weekday and my muscular stamina was way better when I did "mat drill" like things than it is today whereas I'm just stronger.

Maverick
February 12th, 2009, 05:45 PM
BS Bison chimes in on another thing without any direct experience or observation. Share with us your vast background in strength and conditioning that allows you make such a statement. What things do you use in your conditioning program? Which ones are aerobic? Which ones are anaerobic? Which ones do you do to increase explosion from a stance? I look forward to you sharing your vast wisdom and experience in these areas!!

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM
BS Bison chimes in on another thing without any direct experience or observation. Share with us your vast background in strength and conditioning that allows you make such a statement. What things do you use in your conditioning program? Which ones are aerobic? Which ones are anaerobic? Which ones do you do to increase explosion from a stance? I look forward to you sharing your vast wisdom and experience in these areas!!

Right after you tell me how rolling around on a mat conditions someone to play football.

parr90
February 12th, 2009, 07:34 PM

Sorry, it doesn't.

Mat drills is just a name. It involves all kinds of drills one after another. When I was at GSU we called it winter workouts. Its very intense.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Right after you tell me how rolling around on a mat conditions someone to play football.

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx "rolling around" are you kidding me? try bear crawling, crab walking, up downs, push ups, sit ups, lunges, and monkey jumps. I haven't any D1 mat drills but you can expect somethings like this. Again it's designed to get you in shape.

mrklean
February 12th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Comming from a know it all white man, this realy hurtsxlolx.

bobbythekidd
February 12th, 2009, 08:03 PM
try bear crawling, crap walking
I am pretty sure walking around in crap does not help condition an athlete.xlolxxlolx

Mat drills do condition athletes. They are done on command. Instant command at that. The athlete does not know the next drill/ move/ time. This is done over and over until it becomes muscle memory. (I am not a player but know more about Muscle Memory Reflex Training, than most.)

If you get knocked on your butt, you get back to an upright position the fastest way possible without thought. If you are prone, you get to a defensive stance without thought. Your reflexes are faster than those who don't practice this.

Not to mention the advantage of general conditoning this offers. These are moves done in succession that we as humans don't normally do, but would be better athletes if we did.

Why don't you tell me how mat drills DO NOT translate to football?

mrklean
February 12th, 2009, 08:08 PM
Mat drills make real men. Pain is weakness departing the body.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I am pretty sure walking around in crap does not help condition an athlete.xlolxxlolx

Mat drills do condition athletes. They are done on command. Instant command at that. The athlete does not know the next drill/ move/ time. This is done over and over until it becomes muscle memory. (I am not a player but know more about Muscle Memory Reflex Training, than most.)

If you get knocked on your butt, you get back to an upright position the fastest way possible without thought. If you are prone, you get to a defensive stance without thought. Your reflexes are faster than those who don't practice this.

Not to mention the advantage of general conditoning this offers. These are moves done in succession that we as humans don't normally do, but would be better athletes if we did.

Thanks for pointing out the typo....

Maverick
February 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
BSBison,
Your comment that mat drills are "rolling around on a mat" only furthers your identity as somebody who projects themselves as a know-it-all but in reality knows nothing or slightly less. By simply posting these childish little commentaries on something about which you have only an opinion absent any knowledge you only enhance your lack of validity in so many areas of college football. But what else is new with the way you operate? So back to my questions, pending your absence of substantive reply, I can only acknowledge your lack of qualifications to offer anything of value to the conversation.

Still, based on your postings, you may have demonstrated expertise in "crap walking" that bobbythekidd and youngterrier have referenced in their posts!!

YoUDeeMan
February 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
There are no crocs in the south, except for the stupid shoes. xnonox

We have alligators in the south...
...come down for a visit, you can rent a boat and go out and feed some of 'em. The best time to do it is in late April/early May and at night close to shore.

There are crocodiles in the South, but only in south Florida. xnodx It is the only place that the alligator and crocodile exist together in the wild. Crocs don't tolerate the cold as well as alligators, so they don't get up as far north...blueballs, you won't see one in your area.

BTW, a croc's bite is several times more powerful than a similar sized allligator. They are also much more powerful swimmers. Saw a great special on both on the National Geographic channel. xthumbsupx

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/reptiles/american-crocodile.html

blukeys
February 12th, 2009, 09:13 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx "rolling around" are you kidding me? try bear crawling, crab walking, up downs, push ups, sit ups, lunges, and monkey jumps. I haven't any D1 mat drills but you can expect somethings like this. Again it's designed to get you in shape.

Younterrier is quite correct. The requirements for wrestling conditioning is brutal. My son was a very successful wrestler and I went to quite a few practices. I saw many football players who were transitioning to the winter sports season "lose their lunch" at conditioning practices.

My buddy ngineer will agree that wrestling demands the most from one's body of any sport. xnodx

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Younterrier is quite correct. The requirements for wrestling conditioning is brutal. My son was a very successful wrestler and I went to quite a few practices. I saw many football players who were transitioning to the winter sports season "lose their lunch" at conditioning practices.

My buddy ngineer will agree that wrestling demands the most from one's body of any sport. xnodx

Swimming burns the most calories.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 09:35 PM

But wrestling is hell on earthxnodxxnodxxeekx

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
. Henton won't be missed, he wasn't going to start this season anyway.

I do agree that he would not be the starter, and I'd like to point out that I've been saying since the beggining of the season (against the grain of many GSU fans that said otherwise) that Chapple was the better of the two QBs for Hatcher's style of offense and that when he gets decent pass protection will tear apart secondaries. Chapple is very accurate and he can find the open receiver, too.

I'm not sure about us having absolutely no use for Henton, though. It's always nice to have a backup, especially since Chapple is not a guy that's afraid to tuck it in and run with it. Also, Hatch could use him as a RB or WR on some trick plays.

It is a terrible shame that he is going to give up an opportunity for an education. I hope some other college will offer him a scholarship.

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM

No offense, but this is the kind of crap that the crazy southern strength coach is telling himself to convince others and himself that the worthless drills he puts the players through have some relevence for football, no matter how contrived.

I'll repeat for clarity: "mat drills" may certainly be tough, but they in no way, shape or form condition a human being to play the sport of football.

I agree they're great training for wrestling.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 09:41 PM
No offense, but this is the kind of crap that the crazy southern strength coach is telling himself to convince others and himself that the worthless drills he puts the players through have some relevence for football, no matter how contrived.

I'll repeat for clarity: "mat drills" may certainly be tough, but they in no way, shape or form condition a human being to play the sport of football.

I agree they're great training for wrestling.

uuuummmmmm..... They make your body stronger and maybe faster I think that helps when playing football especially on the FCS level in which case you will be playing bigger players. mat drills bring a kind of exercise that just running and lifting weights can not (and I'm speaking from personal experience--as in the last 18 months)

blukeys
February 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM

And running loses the most weight/hour.

What is your point??

I have been a competitive swimmer and my son was a wrestler and a cross country runner. Spend 2 hours in a wrestling practice and then tell me what is tougher.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM

What is your point??

I have been a competitive swimmer and my son was a wrestler and a cross country runner. Spend 2 hours in a wrestling practice and then tell me what is tougher.

You'll only be 30 minutes into the actual practice seeing as the "Mat drills"xnodx and running last about an hour and a half

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 10:00 PM
uuuummmmmm..... They make your body stronger and maybe faster I think that helps when playing football especially on the FCS level in which case you will be playing bigger players. mat drills bring a kind of exercise that just running and lifting weights can not (and I'm speaking from personal experience--as in the last 18 months)

So a person who does "mat drills" will be able to bench more and run a faster 40?

MplsBison
February 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM

What is your point??

My point is that swiming must be the most demanding of your body (your words) if it burns the most calories.

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 10:21 PM
So a person who does "mat drills" will be able to bench more and run a faster 40?

Yes--It builds stamina so you can go harder longer. I could do more push ups without stopping back then than now, that would help me today in addition to weight lifting.

As for the 40, I've only timed my 40 time twice none of which were during that time. However I do test my 400 time more often and can tell you right now that my time is a good 10 seconds faster then (with mat drills) than now (only running and weight lifting)

Reign of Terrier
February 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
It's not like they aren't running and weightlifting, it's an additional thing that's point is to get the athletes in better shape, mainly muscular stamina in which you can do for a long time. If you lift weights too much you'll hurt yourself, you won't in mat drills unless your doing them wrong.

Maverick
February 12th, 2009, 10:40 PM
BS Bison,
You have demonstrated an amazing ability to take one single aspect and conflate it to the entire matter. Playing football does demand strength and speed, but it also demands agility in utilizing that strength and speed as well as a mental toughness to play. Tell us which exercise you in your experience has shown you that meets the aspect of agility and mental training for a contact sport such as football. I look forward to your next inane comment in this matter.

eaglewraith
February 13th, 2009, 05:21 AM

Sorry, it doesn't.

Oh sorry...maybe if they were "rolling around" on Field Turf you'd be happy oh Swami of the Recycled Rubber.

This type of conditioning has been used by mostly all of our coaches in the past. It's help get our athletes in shape to win 6 National Championships. In all of those years, no team could keep up with the conditioning and strength of our players. So I still don't see how you can say it's not effective.

As for your argument about swimming, let's see Micheal Phelps vs a college LB in peak form who's been running mat drills all summer...then we'll see who comes out on top. (Nothing against Phelps as I think he's the man....but it's a different type of superhuman)

813Jag
February 13th, 2009, 06:55 AM
One thing you can say about MPLS is the he(she? xconfusedx) is persistent. A lesser poster would have abandoned This Topic and let others fight his battles as he watches from the bench.

B&G
February 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I was almost positive that if I did a search on "Henton" in past posts, then I would see a bunch of GSU faithful praising him unlike their feelings in this thread. Boy was I wrong on that. Y'all never really had the warm and fuzzies about the guy and most of the praise was coming from fans of your opponents. So good riddance to bad rubbish and I'm sure GSU will be better off without him.

ChickenMan
February 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM

There's no comparison as to other sports when it comes to what a top flight wrestler has to endure.. training wise.. at practice.. cutting weight.. battling injuries and overall mental discipline in order to compete at a championship level. No knock on swimming.. but please.

hippy@GSU
February 13th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I was almost positive that if I did a search on "Henton" in past posts, then I would see a bunch of GSU faithful praising him unlike their feelings in this thread. Boy was I wrong on that. Y'all never really had the warm and fuzzies about the guy and most of the praise was coming from fans of your opponents. So good riddance to bad rubbish and I'm sure GSU will be better off without him.

Though I think Chapple(new starter) is THE best fit for Hatcher's AirRaid offense, I did enjoy watching Henton and the success he brought to GSU last year. I know it wasnt a LOT of success, but he really carried GSU on his back for most of the year and helped win some games that GSU would have lost(my opinion) otherwise.

I believe the guy we have now is the best person for sharpening of the offense. We now have A quarterback(as opposed to two) and that will bring consistency.

I hope Antonio will find a place to finish his college career and succeed.

GO EAGLES!!!!! GATA!!

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Yes--It builds stamina so you can go harder longer. I could do more push ups without stopping back then than now, that would help me today in addition to weight lifting.

As for the 40, I've only timed my 40 time twice none of which were during that time. However I do test my 400 time more often and can tell you right now that my time is a good 10 seconds faster then (with mat drills) than now (only running and weight lifting)

Let me press the specific point on you, hopefully you won't try to dodge again:

lets say a person can bench 200 lbs. and run 40 yards in 5.3 seconds.

Then we will have them do "mat drills" for 3 weeks.

Your contention is that the person will be able to bench >200 lbs. and run 40 yards in <5.3 seconds?

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Oh sorry...maybe if they were "rolling around" on Field Turf you'd be happy oh Swami of the Recycled Rubber.

This type of conditioning has been used by mostly all of our coaches in the past. It's help get our athletes in shape to win 6 National Championships. In all of those years, no team could keep up with the conditioning and strength of our players. So I still don't see how you can say it's not effective.

As for your argument about swimming, let's see Micheal Phelps vs a college LB in peak form who's been running mat drills all summer...then we'll see who comes out on top. (Nothing against Phelps as I think he's the man....but it's a different type of superhuman)

I would argue that the other teams were not able to keep up with the speed of your athletes in your 6 championship years.

You recruited the fastest players in the FCS.

That's it.

Nothing you did to them while they were at GSU actually made much of a difference.

You can't teach speed.

They just ran away from the other players on the field, much like a 6th grader runs away from a 3rd grader on the playground.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 09:42 AM

Your contention is that the person will be able to bench >200 lbs. and run 40 yards in <5.3 seconds?

I don't think the contention is that ALL you do is mat drills. There would also be lifting and track work.

I think somebody has stated this well, but it all boils down to this - mat drills are game conditioning, lifting and sprints are body conditioning.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:43 AM
There's no comparison as to other sports when it comes to what a top flight wrestler has to endure.. training wise.. at practice.. cutting weight.. battling injuries and overall mental discipline in order to compete at a championship level. No knock on swimming.. but please.

Why does wrestling burn less calories than swimming?

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think the contention is that ALL you do is mat drills. There would also be lifting and track work.

I think somebody has stated this well, but it all boils down to this - mat drills are game conditioning, lifting and sprints are body conditioning.

So then, how do we prove that the mat drills actually caused the person to become stronger and faster and not the lifting and sprinting?

By your logic, I could have a person lift weights, run sprints and eat marbles and then when he is stronger and faster claim that eating marbles makes you stronger and faster.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
So then, how do we prove that the mat drills actually caused the person to become stronger and faster and not the lifting and sprinting?

If you take away the mat drills and continue to lift and sprint and your times don't increase as before, you would have an idea. But, there's no way to know. That's why we are debating this on a message board and not working at the Gatorady workout facility.

I think that, by the way, is yt's point regarding the drills.

EDIT (since mpls added): I'm not trying to advocate one way or the other, just giving some reasonings for them.

I would also point out that there's track fast and game fast. One can be measured pretty well, while the other cannot.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
If you take away the mat drills and continue to lift and sprint and your times don't increase as before, you would have an idea. But, there's no way to know. That's why we are debating this on a message board and not working at the Gatorady workout facility.

I think that, by the way, is yt's point regarding the drills.

EDIT (since mpls added): I'm not trying to advocate one way or the other, just giving some reasonings for them.

I would also point out that there's track fast and game fast. One can be measured pretty well, while the other cannot.

Perhaps that's true.

But the NFL seems to consider doing both a 40 yard test and a 20 yard short shuttle test to be acceptable.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Perhaps that's true.

But the NFL seems to consider doing both a 40 yard test and a 20 yard short shuttle test to be acceptable.

That's because it's the best measurement they can make. Scouts routinely recognize that somebody might have a slow 40 time, but look quick during game play or simulation.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 09:57 AM
That's because it's the best measurement they can make. Scouts routinely recognize that somebody might have a slow 40 time, but look quick during game play or simulation.

If they are quick, then it will show objectively in the short shuttle.

"Look quick" doesn't cut it for me. I need some numbers/data before I invest millions in a player.

ChickenMan
February 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Why does wrestling burn less calories than swimming?

IF that is true.. it's certainly NOT because swimming is a physically more demanding sport than wrestling.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
If they are quick, then it will show objectively in the short shuttle.

"Look quick" doesn't cut it for me. I need some numbers/data before I invest millions in a player.

Yea, but you'll invest millions on their quick lateral movement. xrolleyesx We all know that the only cuts you make in football are left to right.

No need to worry about when they're actually playing the game, on the field, with other players.

Seven Would Be Nice
February 13th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Those types of drills are as much mental as they are physical. We used to do them in LaCrosse practice back in high school. We would always smart off to the coach and ask him how they would help us shoot better.... and he would make us do them for another 15 minutes. xmadx

The point is that doing those drills don't make you better at a skill position (blocking, throwing, running,etc ) but they condition your mind to keep going when it's extremely tired. It lets your mind know that your body can still get up quickly during the 4th qtr after getting knocked down, run across the field and make a play.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 10:07 AM
IF that is true.. it's certainly NOT because swimming is a physically more demanding sport than wrestling.

OF course it's true.

Have you ever seen a wrestling match? Even at lower weights, it's a couple of guys laying on each other by halfway through the second period.

That's why I hate watching MMA. Some guy does a stupid take down and they lay on each other for 3 minutes.

Kickboxing all the way.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Those types of drills are as much mental as they are physical. We used to do them in LaCrosse practice back in high school. We would always smart off to the coach and ask him how they would help us shoot better.... and he would make us do them for another 15 minutes. xmadx

The point is that doing those drills don't make you better at a skill position (blocking, throwing, running,etc ) but they condition your mind to keep going when it's extremely tired. It lets your mind know that your body can still get up quickly during the 4th qtr after getting knocked down, run across the field and make a play.

I could buy them being for mental toughness, but that's not what's being sold on this thread.

I've heard everything from makes you stronger/faster to kicking Michael Phelps a$$.

Reign of Terrier
February 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM

Try to dodge? I gave you a direct answer and the answer is YES and I say again to your questions YES! HOW DIRECT DO YOU WANT ME TO BE

Reign of Terrier
February 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM

No No No Southerners don't know what it take to be better at football!xrolleyesx

Oh wait! isn't the South like a cash crop of great football players? I guess matt drills are useful after all!

ChickenMan
February 13th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Have you ever seen a wrestling match? Even at lower weights, it's a couple of guys laying on each other by halfway through the second period.

Apparently you have never seen a wrestling match involving 'quality' programs or wrestlers.. it's far different than your misguided idea of the sport... xrolleyesx

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Try to dodge? I gave you a direct answer and the answer is YES and I say again to your questions YES! HOW DIRECT DO YOU WANT ME TO BE

The only exercise that will allow a person to lift more weight and run faster is lifting and running.

The idea that you can lift more weight by rolling around and doing push ups is a load of crap.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 12:37 PM
No No No Southerners don't know what it take to be better at football!xrolleyesx

Oh wait! isn't the South like a cash crop of great football players? I guess matt drills are useful after all!

You hit on the answer without realizing.

The south has more great high school football players than anywhere (save maybe California).

Those programs just recruit great players and, wouldn't you know it, have great players in college. IN SPITE of the crazy drills. NOT because of them.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Apparently you have never seen a wrestling match involving 'quality' programs or wrestlers.. it's far different than your misguided idea of the sport... xrolleyesx

It's that way at the NCAA DI championships.

Nice try.

Maverick
February 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
BS Bison,
Based on your postings in this thread, the term "load of crap" easily comes to mind. You must stand up a lot to talk out of your backside as much as you do on this board!!

What exercise program do you espouse (other than running your mouth)? Please show us your vast knowledge and experience is based on something other than having your head up your backside on this matter. xnodxxnodxxlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehx

ChickenMan
February 13th, 2009, 12:49 PM
It's that way at the NCAA DI championships.

Nice try.

You truly are clueless... :p

PaladinFan
February 13th, 2009, 12:52 PM
BS Bison,
Based on your postings in this thread, the term "load of crap" easily comes to mind. You must stand up a lot to talk out of your backside as much as you do on this board!!

What exercise program do you espouse (other than running your mouth)? Please show us your vast knowledge and experience is based on something other than having your head up your backside on this matter. xnodxxnodxxlolxxlolxxrotatehxxrotatehx

The Bison play with all the comforts of home, including air conditioning.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 01:00 PM
You truly are clueless... :p

They're on TV.

Try watching it sometime.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 01:01 PM
BS Bison,

Here is my contention:

if you want to get stronger, lift weights, if you want to run faster, work on sprinting mechanics.

GATA
February 13th, 2009, 01:41 PM

I see what the problem is. You're confused. You think that a good bench press and a good 40 time makes you a good football player.

Mat Drills flat out get you in BETTER SHAPE. You have more muscle endurance and better cardiovascular fitness...in other words, you won't get tired as fast during practice or during the games because you have built up your endurance by going through ridiculously hard mat drills in the off-season.

I don't think a 500lb bench press every made a guy a better football player. And we all know that a fast 40 time is great, but how often do you see a guy run in a straight line for 40 yards during a football game?

blueballs
February 13th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Mat drills are just another facet of a good strength/endurance/agility training program.

Some would call it cross training or circuit training, but it just one facet of an overall program.

Check out georgiasoutherneagles.com on the website it details the strength adn conditional philosophy as well as nutrition program for student athletes.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I see what the problem is. You're confused. You think that a good bench press and a good 40 time makes you a good football player.

Mat Drills flat out get you in BETTER SHAPE. You have more muscle endurance and better cardiovascular fitness...in other words, you won't get tired as fast during practice or during the games because you have built up your endurance by going through ridiculously hard mat drills in the off-season.

I don't think a 500lb bench press every made a guy a better football player. And we all know that a fast 40 time is great, but how often do you see a guy run in a straight line for 40 yards during a football game?

It happens often for NDSU. Right through the middle of the defense for 40 and a TD.

Bench press is just an example of a measureable exercise, it measures pressing strength, which is critical in blocking someone.

If you want to have muscle endurance in pressing, then you would do a lot of bench presses.

If you want to have better cardiovascular fitness, then you would do an aerobic exercise continuously for a period of 30 mins or so, such as jogging or swimming.

I doubt very much that mat drills increase VO2 uptake. They sound very anaerobic to me.

Mat drills don't develop or measure any skill that is relevent in anything, let alone football.

Have a good mat drill score, if there is such a thing, doesn't really prove anything except you can roll around on a mat for a long time. Good for you.

mcveyrl
February 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
It happens often for NDSU. Right through the middle of the defense for 40 and a TD.

Bench press is just an example of a measureable exercise, it measures pressing strength, which is critical in blocking someone.

If you want to have muscle endurance in pressing, then you would do a lot of bench presses.

Mat drills don't develop or measure any skill that is relevent in anything, let alone football.

Have a good mat drill score, if there is such a thing, doesn't really prove anything except you can roll around on a mat for a long time. Good for you.

I think you're Matt Millen.

Franks Tanks
February 13th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Bench pressing 500 lbs will not automatically make you a good FB player. However, a FB player that used to Bench 300 and can now bench 500 has certainly given himself a high probability to improve as a FB player.

Also your analogy is poor. You defend mat drills by saying that you seldom see a guy run 40 yards in a straight line. Well how often do you see a guy doing a crab walk during a FB game? The fact is that both activities work together to improve on a few of the multitude of factors that make someone a good or better FB player.

Also I happen to think mat drills are worthwhile. They improve exolosiveness and endurance. The 40 is a measure of speed and explosivness, and mat drills can help improve a 40 time in conjunction with the proper speed training.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
Bench pressing 500 lbs will not automatically make you a good FB player. However, a FB player that used to Bench 300 and can now bench 500 has certainly given himself a high probability to improve as a FB player.

Also your analogy is poor. You defend mat drills by saying that you seldom see a guy run 40 yards in a straight line. Well how often do you see a guy doing a crab walk during a FB game? The fact is that both activities work together to improve on a few of the multitude of factors that make someone a good or better FB player.

Also I happen to think mat drills are worthwhile. They improve exolosiveness and endurance. The 40 is a measure of speed and explosivness, and mat drills can help improve a 40 time in conjunction with the proper speed training.

So can eating marbles. And I can prove it.

I'll have a guy work on his sprinting mechanics, do sprint drills and eat marbles.

Then when he improves his 40 time, this will prove that eating marbles helps improve 40 times.

Franks Tanks
February 13th, 2009, 03:28 PM
So can eating marbles. And I can prove it.

I'll have a guy work on his sprinting mechanics, do sprint drills and eat marbles.

Then when he improves his 40 time, this will prove that eating marbles helps improve 40 times.

I dont know why I even try. I meant that yes mat drills can be useful and improve core strength etc. and c ore strength is a component of getting faster. But to get faster speed training would also be necessary-- they work together. Olympic sprinters also lift weights and do plyometric training last time I checked. These activities are not directly related to sprinting , but they can improve speed

Sprinting isnt the only component of FB, so other areas must be worked as well.

Maverick
February 13th, 2009, 03:36 PM
BS Bison,
Why is it that you refuse to answer my questions? I am just dying to know about your background in training athletes and coaching or experience as an athlete that forms the basis for your positions. Your oversimplified logic does little to indicate anything athletic in your background other than trying out for the Olympic Couch Potato team by extending your time watching sports on TV and/or in person.

Share with us what you know about the off-season programs of the teams in your conference. You could even talk with the strength coaches of those teams to share with them your vast wisdom on the matter and report back how many are in agreement with your stated positions. How many of those teams do agility/mat drills for the purpose of strength/conditioning/balance/mental toughness/general physical development?

Of course, I am sure you won't answer this but I do look forward to your next exhibition of oversimplified thought/ignorance that has made you such a caricature on this board. But you do provide a substantive value to other posters on this board. After reading your stuff, a poster can honestly say, "Well, at least I'm not as dumb as that Mpls Bison poster!" You have set the bar low enough that almost all here can find themselves capable of exceeding your standard of intelligence about football and related matters.

PS: Do you know the difference between coincidental and causal? I would doubt it based on your marbles and sprinting reference.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 04:27 PM
BS Bison,
Why is it that you refuse to answer my questions? I am just dying to know about your background in training athletes and coaching or experience as an athlete that forms the basis for your positions. Your oversimplified logic does little to indicate anything athletic in your background other than trying out for the Olympic Couch Potato team by extending your time watching sports on TV and/or in person.

Share with us what you know about the off-season programs of the teams in your conference. You could even talk with the strength coaches of those teams to share with them your vast wisdom on the matter and report back how many are in agreement with your stated positions. How many of those teams do agility/mat drills for the purpose of strength/conditioning/balance/mental toughness/general physical development?

Of course, I am sure you won't answer this but I do look forward to your next exhibition of oversimplified thought/ignorance that has made you such a caricature on this board. But you do provide a substantive value to other posters on this board. After reading your stuff, a poster can honestly say, "Well, at least I'm not as dumb as that Mpls Bison poster!" You have set the bar low enough that almost all here can find themselves capable of exceeding your standard of intelligence about football and related matters.

PS: Do you know the difference between coincidental and causal? I would doubt it based on your marbles and sprinting reference.

Post 86

Maverick
February 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Funny thing about that post was it that it showed your exceptional skill in oversimplifying something you have never done as far as I can tell. Do you know the difference between simply getting stronger and faster and being a better football player? Do you also understand the concept of synergy as it is applied to physical training? Do you understand the difference in the different types of weigh lifting in terms of developing strength and increasing bulk? As to running faster, how do you train someone to run faster not just once but repetitively so you increase speed and stamina so that you can perform longer at high levels. It takes more than just running to do that, but hey you have done so much work personally and as an athlete haven't you. Can you explain to me then how do you train a football player to react more quickly and to be quicker (not faster) in playing the game? Probably not but that is what you fail to seem to recognize. A lot of posters here know (from experience) if you want to be a better football player, you will do agility/mat drills for the purpose of strength/conditioning/balance/mental toughness/general physical development!

But I am sure you have some oversimplified, pithy comment that will address only a small part of the issue and then reinforce your rep as a complete dolt about much of what you profess. Thanks in advance for your reply that will make almost all of us here feel good about how much more we know about football than you!! Keep up the good work of serving as warning to others about how stupid you can look when you post as BS Bison does!!

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Funny thing about that post was it that it showed your exceptional skill in oversimplifying something you have never done as far as I can tell. Do you know the difference between simply getting stronger and faster and being a better football player? Do you also understand the concept of synergy as it is applied to physical training? Do you understand the difference in the different types of weigh lifting in terms of developing strength and increasing bulk? As to running faster, how do you train someone to run faster not just once but repetitively so you increase speed and stamina so that you can perform longer at high levels. It takes more than just running to do that, but hey you have done so much work personally and as an athlete haven't you. Can you explain to me then how do you train a football player to react more quickly and to be quicker (not faster) in playing the game? Probably not but that is what you fail to seem to recognize. A lot of posters here know (from experience) if you want to be a better football player, you will do agility/mat drills for the purpose of strength/conditioning/balance/mental toughness/general physical development!

But I am sure you have some oversimplified, pithy comment that will address only a small part of the issue and then reinforce your rep as a complete dolt about much of what you profess. Thanks in advance for your reply that will make almost all of us here feel good about how much more we know about football than you!! Keep up the good work of serving as warning to others about how stupid you can look when you post as BS Bison does!!

Now you're trying to lump mat drills in with agility drills under the radar.

How dishonest of you.

I agree that doing agility drills (like the short shuttle) will help to develop football conditioning.

I do not agree that doing up downs, push ups, sit ups, monkey rolls, etc. on a mat will help to develop football conditioning.

Aditionally, mat drills don't improve any objective measure of strength or speed (max lift, 40 time, short shuttle time, etc.).

You can try to argue the mental toughness angle, although, of course, there is no way to meaasure that objectively. But that's so far not what's being argued here.

On this thread people will not let go of trying to convince me and perhaps themselves that all the effort they put into mat drills wasn't for nothing.

introvertedGSUfan
February 13th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Hey guys, so I heard that Antonio Henton quit the team.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Hey guys, so I heard that Antonio Henton quit the team.

Yes.

He quit because of mat drills.

You know, those worthless drills they make players do in the south?

gatadotcom
February 13th, 2009, 06:33 PM

When Jayson Foster was at Georgia Southern, we say a lot of him running in a straight line for 40 yards (and a lot more) during a football game.xsmiley_wix

Maverick
February 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I guess that is what comes from trying to smarten up a chump which was so strongly advised against by W.C. Fields. So I leave you to your simple-minded self on the couch far from any mat or agility drills (BTW that was term (agility drills) I knew them by in off-season workouts back in the 70's when I played). As someone who has been around football on several levels as a player, coach, and administrator for almost 40 years, I thank you for your amusing display of ignorance about so many things. As for agreeing with me, based on what I have read of your knowledge here on this board that would be the most remote thing in my mind. If I agree with you, it is a sure sign I have gotten as dumb as you about football and that is something to be avoided at all costs. Thanks again for being you and showing so many that they cannot possibly be as dumb as you are about football.

Though I do wonder about your athletic background (or rather lack thereof at least where football is concerned). What sport(s) have you played, coached, managed, or headed up to give you such a viewpoint on college football? Not that I expect any answer, just more drivel. Of course, if your answer were to be at the same level as the rest of your posts, there would be nothing of substance or value in it!!

Looking forward to your next exhibition of ignorance and/or idiocy regarding college football.

GATA
February 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM

I never said that having a good bench press wasn't helpful..or that 40 times don't matter.

The only thing I said is that it is UNDENIABLE that doing "mat drills" every day WILL get you in better cardiovascular shape. If you think that drills that build up cardio and endurance are useless to a football player...then you've never played football.

Bench press and 40's are fantastic and they have their place...but I'm not talking about bench press and 40's...I'm talking about why coaches do matt drills. I didn't say that you should never lift weights or run 40's...

This isn't hard guys...the only REAL way to condition guys to play football...is to play football. All the other garbage that coaches do in the off-season like mat drills, 40's, weight-lifting, sprints, etc... is just because they're not allowed to practice. None of these extracurricular activities by themselves will make you a better football player, but if you combine all of them during the off-season they make you a better overall athlete. It's up to the players to take that athletic ability and make it translate into something when fall (or spring) practice starts...Jesus christ.

already123
February 13th, 2009, 07:51 PM
sounds like they are better off without him

GATA
February 13th, 2009, 07:57 PM

If you want to have better cardiovascular fitness, then you would do an aerobic exercise continuously for a period of 30 mins or so, such as jogging or swimming.

I doubt very much that mat drills increase VO2 uptake. They sound very anaerobic to me.

Matt drills are quick intense bursts of doing silly exercises like crab walks and rolls...

football is played in quick 7-10 second intense bursts...

Running 40's in a straight line is great and all...only last time I checked, you actually had to change directions during a football game...and oh yeah, you get knocked down.

B&G
February 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I hate to side with Bison here but if mat drills are so important for developing football skill, then why aren't they really used in the NFL? It seems to me they're used in earlier levels as a way to bring mental toughness, maturity and unity to a group of young men whereas NFL players shouldn't need tactics like that because they're professionals.

I played high school football and had to do mat drills. As an OL, there are a lot of things you can do to improve that aren't conventional. Wrestling helps with balance and conditioning, karate helps with hand fighting and leverage, and mat drills help with agility. In fact, they were called agility drills before mat drills became en vogue as the term. These are all attributes you can use to supplement your play. However if you don't have plain old strength, then you're using those other traits to get around a serious flaw. And, in my opinion, the best way to build that power is through weight training.

Are mat drills beneficial? Absolutely! Is there something you could do instead to develop the things they train? Yes, I believe so. I will say again that I'm by no means a kinesiologist but when I played I felt the thing that helped me most was weight training and running.

Reign of Terrier
February 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
The only exercise that will allow a person to lift more weight and run faster is lifting and running.

The idea that you can lift more weight by rolling around and doing push ups is a load of crap.

You say that because you've probably done neither in your life

(I've been here a while I guess I can I say something like that once)

Reign of Terrier
February 13th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I hate to side with Bison here but if mat drills are so important for developing football skill, then why aren't they really used in the NFL? It seems to me they're used in earlier levels as a way to bring mental toughness, maturity and unity to a group of young men whereas NFL players shouldn't need tactics like that because they're professionals.

I played high school football and had to do mat drills. As an OL, there are a lot of things you can do to improve that aren't conventional. Wrestling helps with balance and conditioning, karate helps with hand fighting and leverage, and mat drills help with agility. In fact, they were called agility drills before mat drills became en vogue as the term. These are all attributes you can use to supplement your play. However if you don't have plain old strength, then you're using those other traits to get around a serious flaw. And, in my opinion, the best way to build that power is through weight training.

Are mat drills beneficial? Absolutely! Is there something you could do instead to develop the things they train? Yes, I believe so. I will say again that I'm by no means a kinesiologist but when I played I felt the thing that helped me most was weight training and running.

The point I'm trying to make is that weight training and running can make you good while mat drills can help both of those improve.

ElSissy
February 13th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I never played football but I wrestled in high school. We did mat drills every day. I saw people cry when the coach shouted "log rolls". If log rolls don't make you puke, nothing will.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I never played football but I wrestled in high school. We did mat drills every day. I saw people cry when the coach shouted "log rolls". If log rolls don't make you puke, nothing will.

Why is everyone here practically bragging about how mat drills make you puke?

How does puking condition a person to play football?

Vomiting is a sign that what you're doing is wrong and you should stop doing that thing.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Matt drills are quick intense bursts of doing silly exercises like crab walks and rolls...

football is played in quick 7-10 second intense bursts...

Running 40's in a straight line is great and all...only last time I checked, you actually had to change directions during a football game...and oh yeah, you get knocked down.

Thanks for clearing up that mat drills do not improve cardiovascular ability, as they are the definition of anaerobic exercise.

Football is not played by crab walking, up downs and monkey rolls.

There are plenty of other 7-10 second bursts of activity that are also irrelevent to playing football, why not do those?

Apparantly the measure of a good conditioning program in the south is how well it makes you vomit.

xnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2xxnonono2x

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 10:28 AM
Why is everyone here practically bragging about how mat drills make you puke?

How does puking condition a person to play football?

Vomiting is a sign that what you're doing is wrong and you should stop doing that thing.

FOR THE LAST TIME MAT DRILLS GET YOU IN BETTER SHAPE. THE BETTER SHAPE YOU ARE IN IT WILL HELP YOU PLAY BETTER.

VOMITING DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG, YOU THINK RUNNERS WHO THROW UP AFTER THEY RUN ARE "DOING IT WRONG"--IT'S CALLED WORKING HARD!!!

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:29 AM
You say that because you've probably done neither in your life

(I've been here a while I guess I can I say something like that once)

Ask any strength coach in america if rolling around on a mat will increase your bench and decrease your 40 time.

They will look at you like you have holes in your head (you probably do).

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:30 AM
FOR THE LAST TIME MAT DRILLS GET YOU IN BETTER SHAPE. THE BETTER SHAPE YOU ARE IN IT WILL HELP YOU PLAY BETTER.

VOMITING DOESN'T MEAN YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG, YOU THINK RUNNERS WHO THROW UP AFTER THEY RUN ARE "DOING IT WRONG"--IT'S CALLED WORKING HARD!!!

Thank god you are not allowed to instruct young men.

People like you are the reason that we have players collapse on the field dead every summer.

xnonono2xxnonono2x

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Ask any strength coach in america if rolling around on a mat will increase your bench and decrease your 40 time.

They will look at you like you have holes in your head (you probably do).

that's because they are not rolling on a mat--heck I don't even know an exercise that looks like that.

BTW my coach managed the YMCA and had a college degree--I think he knows what he's doing.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Thank god you are not allowed to instruct young men.

People like you are the reason that we have players collapse on the field dead every summer.

xnonono2xxnonono2x

There is a fine line between throwing up and collapsing and dying. One of the reasons they collapse is that the summer is so darn hot and what they are doing is so darn hard--which is why mat drills are done INSIDE.

P.S-- Don't make any rash assumption about me you don't know me.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 10:48 AM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/07/070012/sp-mat-drills-push-fsu-players-to-the-limit/sports-colleges-seminoles/

The drills were heavily scrutinized seven years ago when Devaughn Darling, an 18-year-old linebacker, collapsed and died of cardiac arrhythmia.

But lord knows, if he's not puking at least 3-4 times then he's not working hard enough.

What a ******** joke.

The NCAA should ban these stupid acts of human depravity. They banned 2-a-day practices on continuous days, this is no different.

For the sake of player's health.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/07/070012/sp-mat-drills-push-fsu-players-to-the-limit/sports-colleges-seminoles/

But lord knows, if he's not puking at least 3-4 times then he's not working hard enough.

What a ******** joke.

The NCAA should ban these stupid acts of human depravity. They banned 2-a-day practices on continuous days, this is no different.

For the sake of player's health.

That's because he was pushed too hard. As I said there is a fine line--If he throws up twice he should stop.

PaladinFan
February 14th, 2009, 12:37 PM

I played both sides of the ball, and special teams in high school football. We had three conditioning stints at each practice, getting tougher as the day wore on in the Georgia heat.

None of that compared to one day of wrestling practice. Memories I don't wish on any man.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 01:26 PM
That's because he was pushed too hard. As I said there is a fine line--If he throws up twice he should stop.

They should be banned.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 01:39 PM
They should be banned.

Who? The coaches or the drills? You'd have better luck with the coaches than the drills.

mebisonII
February 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM

Easy there, yt. Save your strength for the mat drills xlolx

MplsBison has never changed his mind to agree with anyone or or admit anyone had a point he hadn't considered on this board. Mainly because that wouldn't be as much fun. Folks on bisonville even claim to have PMs from him* saying that he likes to stir things up, and that he doesn't believe half the stuff he types, he just like to stir things up.

Its an annoying persona, certainly, but you have to admit its well-played xrolleyesx

*change the 's' to an upper case in this phrase and its still probably true xsmiley_wix

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Who? The coaches or the drills? You'd have better luck with the coaches than the drills.

As I already pointed out, there is precendent set for the NCAA to abolish other long known football "training" traditions (two-a-days).

Mat drill should abolished.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 02:49 PM
As I already pointed out, there is precendent set for the NCAA to abolish other long known football "training" traditions (two-a-days).

Good Luck

GATA
February 14th, 2009, 03:33 PM

I think we should abolish practices too...they're pretty hard and they really cut into the player's studying time. That is SOOOO 1984. They should just show up on Saturdays and play ball. The NCAA should do something.

MplsBison
February 14th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I think we should abolish practices too...they're pretty hard and they really cut into the player's studying time. That is SOOOO 1984. They should just show up on Saturdays and play ball. The NCAA should do something.

Slippery slope fallacy.

We're talking about abolishing mat drills as an off-season training exercise, not abolishing practices.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Anything official on this yet?

Tribe4SF
February 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM

OK, what team is that pictured in your avatar? Looks like he stole that jersey from a server at a second tier seafood chain!xeekx

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 14th, 2009, 06:35 PM

No...the Statesboro Herald asked Chris Hatcher about it yesterday and he wouldn't comment.

Syntax Error
February 14th, 2009, 08:10 PM
OK, what team is that pictured in your avatar? Looks like he stole that jersey from a server at a second tier seafood chain!xeekxThat's Santos in the pros... Montreal Alouettes.

bobbythekidd
February 14th, 2009, 08:37 PM
MplsBison has never changed his mind to agree with anyone or or admit anyone had a point he hadn't considered on this board. Mainly because that wouldn't be as much fun. Folks on bisonville even claim to have PMs from him* saying that he likes to stir things up, and that he doesn't believe half the stuff he types, he just like to stir things up.
That right there is what I love about the guy. He is dead set in his opinions even when EVERYONE says he is wrong. He just keeps on with his blind repetitions. I admit, I love it.

Reign of Terrier
February 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
That right there is what I love about the guy. He is dead set in his opinions even when EVERYONE says he is wrong. He just keeps on with his blind repetitions. I admit, I love it.

I guess I'll just declare victory then seeing as he won't admit itxlolx

VICTORY FOR YOUNGTERRIER!!!!

blueballs
February 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
More on the Henton situation...

http://www.macon.com/168/story/621143.html

BossEagle
February 15th, 2009, 05:52 PM
So we know he went home to talk to his mother about his situation, CH will talk with him tomorrow and we'll see from there. I really wanted Henton to start for the Eagles but now, even if he stays with the team, I'll like Lee.

introvertedGSUfan
February 15th, 2009, 06:04 PM
More on the Henton situation...

http://www.macon.com/168/story/621143.html

UGH, this was why I was asking about Billy Lowe earlier. The article only mentions the newly signed Brent Osborn, Lee Chapple, and Kyle Collins as the only QBs left if Henton decides to leave. However someone here at AGS said that he will return this coming season.

eaglewraith
February 15th, 2009, 06:44 PM
UGH, this was why I was asking about Billy Lowe earlier. The article only mentions the newly signed Brent Osborn, Lee Chapple, and Kyle Collins as the only QBs left if Henton decides to leave. However someone here at AGS said that he will return this coming season.

It was reported on gsufans.com by Billy's father that he is medically cleared to play. This happened a couple of months ago. You should really sign up on that board if you're not already.

introvertedGSUfan
February 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
It was reported on gsufans.com by Billy's father that he is medically cleared to play. This happened a couple of months ago. You should really sign up on that board if you're not already.

Right, this is what I was told earlier, but why did the article fail to mention such a huge point?

Cap'n Cat
February 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
LMAO @ this thread. Your Mods ban all those cool guys to CS.com and you keep MplsBison?

xeyebrowx

xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx xsmhxxsmhxxsmhxxsmhx

xoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsxxoopsx

Jesus.

BossEagle
February 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Right, this is what I was told earlier, but why did the article fail to mention such a huge point?

The writer may have not known about the information, or did not feel that it was a huge point.

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2009, 08:19 PM
It was reported on gsufans.com by Billy's father that he is medically cleared to play. This happened a couple of months ago. You should really sign up on that board if you're not already.Both there and here said he quit the team. There is a reason why no one officially said he quit. xcoffeex

eaglewraith
February 15th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Both there and here said he quit the team. There is a reason why no one officially said he quit. xcoffeex

Are you talking about Henton because I was replying to someone's statement about Billy Lowe and it's official that he is definitely on the team.

eaglewraith
February 15th, 2009, 09:54 PM

Media doesn't always have all the facts ;)

Syntax Error
February 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Are you talking about Henton because I was replying to someone's statement about Billy Lowe and it's official that he is definitely on the team.I'm talking about Henton because that's the topic of this thread. xthumbsupx
Media doesn't always have all the facts ;)I read in the media that no official announcement was made but this thread and on the GSU board it said he quit the team. Scuttlebutt takes it in the, well, scuttlebutt again! xlolx

eaglewraith
February 16th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'm talking about Henton because that's the topic of this thread. xthumbsupxI read in the media that no official announcement was made but this thread and on the GSU board it said he quit the team. Scuttlebutt takes it in the, well, scuttlebutt again! xlolx

Ok...seriously. Someone was inquiring about the qb situation if Henton was indeed gone and that led into a question about our backups of which Billy Lowe is one. So it's not like we were sitting here talking about asinine stuff like Field Turf.

My media comment was about the Lowe situation as well. There's been lots of stuff about the football team that breaks on our board sometimes several days before it's initially released in the media, so the "scuttlebutt" as you called it is right a lot of times. The comments I've mentioned about Lowe have come from his FATHER on our board...so I would seem to think that's a pretty reliable source.

blueballs
February 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Ok...seriously. Someone was inquiring about the qb situation if Henton was indeed gone and that led into a question about our backups of which Billy Lowe is one. So it's not like we were sitting here talking about asinine stuff like Field Turf.

My media comment was about the Lowe situation as well. There's been lots of stuff about the football team that breaks on our board sometimes several days before it's initially released in the media, so the "scuttlebutt" as you called it is right a lot of times. The comments I've mentioned about Lowe have come from his FATHER on our board...so I would seem to think that's a pretty reliable source.

Billy Lowe has been cleared to return to football related training activities and will participate in spring practice for GSU.

If Lowe is able to return to his pre-injury form GSU won't miss a beat if Henton is gone and the program will be able to redshirt the kid from Alabama they signed.

GATA
February 16th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Is this thread still going?

did you guys hear that Antonio Henton tried to solicit a prostitute?

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Is this thread still going?

did you guys hear that Antonio Henton tried to solicit a prostitute?

I don't know if you're being serious or not, but if it's true, I blame mat drills.

(FWIW, a majority of this thread has not been Henton, but the value of mat drills.)

Maverick
February 16th, 2009, 11:55 AM
If that was what happened with Henton, was it a new type of "mat drill"? xlolxxlolxxnodxxnodx

I am sure that BS Bison would want to see that such an activity should be banned by the NCAA as a safety issue. Plus since it is neither running or lifting it won't help either way!!!xsmiley_wixxsmiley_wixxthumbsupxxthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
February 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM
FWIW, a majority of this thread has not been Henton, but the value of mat drills.

FWIW I declared victory and moved on...

mcveyrl
February 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
FWIW I declared victory and moved on...

I was just pointing out that we had not spent all of these pages talking about Antonio Henton. I'm on your side in the mat drills debate...

Reign of Terrier
February 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I was just pointing out that we had not spent all of these pages talking about Antonio Henton. I'm on your side in the mat drills debate...

Well I have to ask...what else would we talk about?xlolx

Mod11
February 16th, 2009, 07:12 PM
PERHAPS IT IS TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD AS IT TIPTOES DEEPER INTO THE DAISY PATCH AND OFF THE SUBJECT