PDA

View Full Version : Liberty to get carolina gamecock QB

kirkblitz
February 10th, 2009, 12:23 PM
http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/680395.html

Beecher, a senior who will graduate from USC in May, signed with Liberty last week and will play his final season for the Division I-AA school in Lynchburg, Va.

Beecher, who was not asked to return to USC for his fifth season, committed to the Flames during an official visit this month, his mother, Pam Beecher, said Tuesday.

im sorry liberty, hes a bitch. spurrier couldnt play him the last few games because he was "afriad to get hit" his words. F him xmadxxmadxxmadxxmadx

EmeryZach
February 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Tell us how you really feel.

89Hen
February 10th, 2009, 12:44 PM
My brother-in-law is a Gamecock so I've watched at least 5 USC games every year for the past 8 years and the QB situation at USC is just plum awful. Good luck LU. xcoffeex

letsgopards04
February 10th, 2009, 01:02 PM
So Liberty just picked up a backup QB?

89Hen
February 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM
So Liberty just picked up a backup QB?
Every QB at USC got plenty of chances. xnodx

Seven Would Be Nice
February 10th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Most likely this kid will continue to ride the pine. In his mind he is going to be the savior of this little I-AA team.. he is sorely mistaken. If spurrior didn't play him with all the troubles theyve had the past few years there is something wrong with the kid. Maybe he has a bad attitude and thinks transferring will make him be an instant star. Bad attitude doesn't have a classification.

We had a situation somewhat like that at GSU a few years ago.

Libertine
February 10th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Every QB at USC got plenty of chances. xnodx

To be honest, I don't think that any of them ever had a chance.

kirkblitz
February 10th, 2009, 01:25 PM
http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/606170.html

“Stephen was sick two or three days. Stephen doesn’t know what’s going on completely, yet,” Spurrier said. “It was either (Smelley) or Tommy Beecher, and Tommy doesn’t want to play. So we were going to go with him the whole game unless he got knocked out.”

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=82144

Spurrier said Beecher did not want to play, which came across as a damning indictment of the player’s character. Several times earlier in the season, Spurrier had said privately that Beecher lost his desire to play. Each time, Spurrier asked that his comments be kept private so as to save Beecher any embarrassment.

“I said he didn’t want to play,” Spurrier said this past week. “Is that criticism or is that the truth? Why is that criticism? They asked me a question, why didn’t you play him? I said, well, because he doesn’t want to play.”
http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/ronmorris/story/613446.html

beecher is not your savior . Do not believe he is.

Libertine
February 10th, 2009, 01:35 PM
We already have a Savior, thank you. xsmiley_wix

SoccerSmells
February 10th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Not a bad kid from what I've heard, but not a quarterback that's going to be a ton of help for Liberty. I would be stunned if he starts there. Didn't they learn their lesson from the Troth kid (EZU) a few years back?

89Hen
February 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM
To be honest, I don't think that any of them ever had a chance.
Yes and no. I guess a point could be made that Spurrier never stuck with any of them long enough to let them work it out, but I watched a game where a QB threw four INT's in the first half and he came out to start in the third... I think it was Garcia with Smelley on the bench. xpeacex

SuperJon
February 10th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Wow, if people would read, you'd see the real reason he's coming to Liberty.

Because Beecher will pursue a graduate degree (Christian leadership) not offered at USC, Pam Beecher said he would be eligible to play under NCAA rules.

“We are so excited for Tommy and Liberty University,” Pam Beecher said. “What great people up there. It’s just a perfect fit.”

Following the Outback Bowl, USC team chaplain Adrian Dupre encouraged Pam Beecher to get in touch with Liberty athletics director Jeff Barber. She doubted whether her son would be interested because he had an internship with Colonial Life and was entertaining job offers.

But the thought of playing his final season away from the limelight while going to seminary appealed to Beecher, his mother said. He also formed a bond with Flames quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter, the former Clemson quarterback.

The kid is going to Seminary. He just so happens to get to play football too. That's a great deal. Oh, and he gets to go to seminary for free. We have a very good seminary up here. Great professors, great opportunities, and just a very good place for anyone thinking of seminary to go to.

jcmanson
February 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Noone is saying this kid is going to be our savior. Why so bitter kirk? :)

If he wins the starting job, good. If not, no big deal. We have other QBs that have been in our system for several years that should be capable of winning the Big South again next year.

JMU DJ
February 10th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah, this kid is no Pat Devlin.... Besides, the USC Gamecocks aren't known for their quarterbacking. They had to use a red shirt freshman (Garcia) last year over Beecher (probably due to his fragile psyche). Have fun in the LBC Beecher... it's a crumby one horse town.

SideLine Shooter
February 10th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I know this young man and his family. He was QB at our HS and lead us to the 2004 State title. In the Quarter Final on the last play of the game he threw a 35 yd pass into the endzone for the win. In the Semi we were down to Asheville HS 20 - 0 with 5:30 left in the game. Beecher accounted for 277 yards of offense in the final 5 1/2 minutes and we win 21-20. In the title game we wore out Wilson-Hunt, I believe it was 27-0.

Beecher is an excellent young man and a capable QB. I wish him the best at LU.

I think one of his younger brothers (Matt) is at App. His younger brother intercepted a pass in overtime for us to win the 2006 State title.

JMU Newbill
February 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, this kid is no Pat Devlin.... Besides, the USC Gamecocks aren't known for their quarterbacking. They had to use a red shirt freshman (Garcia) last year over Beecher (probably due to his fragile psyche). Have fun in the LBC Beecher... it's a crumby one horse town.

LBC is Lynchburg City for those who are not as informed on their geography/street slang as JMU DJ. And, come on man, there are at least 2 horses in that town. You've got the T-Room.... the James River.... and uh... isn't there a school there or something??? oh yea, Randolph Macon Womens College.

But seriously... Beecher wasn't horrible at USC. He ran into an impatient Spurrier. He may not be the toughest kid in the world, but let's not completely write him off.

Libertine
February 10th, 2009, 04:07 PM
beecher is not your savior . Do not believe he is.

We already have a Savior, thank you. xsmiley_wix

Hoseinexile07
February 10th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Man, there's some bitterness on this thread.

JMU DJ
February 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Man, there's some bitterness on this thread.

It's the UGA fan/Lynchburg/Liberty detest in me :D

Good for the kid that he's going where he wants to be for his education/life goal... but refer to my earlier post as to what I think about his football skillz

rutlandbison
February 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Damnit people USC means University of Southern California not University of South Carolina. People from the east and more specifically from South and maybe north carolina are the only ones who referr to South Carolina as USC. DAMNITT!!!!!!;)

GATA
February 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Wow...trust me...Beecher is terrible. You may as well not have a QB on your roster at all. I don't think I've seen a more inept college QB.

kirkblitz
February 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM
4 years of college

30/51 320 yds, 5 ints, 2 td

SuperJon
February 10th, 2009, 08:08 PM
I love how everyone is thinking he's transferring so that we have a starter in him. That's not the case at all. We've got two really good quarterbacks along with a very talented redshirt freshman that's still learning who will all be in spring ball. Beecher won't get here til May at the earliest. I will be very, very surprised if Mike Brown doesn't win our starting quarterback job.

pcguy09
February 10th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Super, i haven't read one post that says Liberty should or is going to start the guy? everyone but one or two people have said he's a terrible QB, who will ride the pine...

CID1990
February 10th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Noone is saying this kid is going to be our savior. Why so bitter kirk? :)

If he wins the starting job, good. If not, no big deal. We have other QBs that have been in our system for several years that should be capable of winning the Big South again next year.

Because he is probably one of those fair-weather FCS fans who attends CCU games only when he can't get cheap tickets to Williams Brice Stadium? We have a few of those here in Chucktown, too. Clempson fans, also.

asufan87
February 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Spurrier encouraged a number of upperclass players to transfer after this past season, Beecher being one of them. I wish him the best at Liberty.

JMU DJ
February 10th, 2009, 10:21 PM
Spurrier encouraged a number of upperclass players to transfer after this past season, Beecher being one of them. I wish him the best at Liberty.

Ditto... but if you know anything about the kid and his last season at USC (not wanting to play the sport he has a scholarship for), I would have encouraged him to transfer also. Frees up Scholarship spots

appmaj
February 11th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Damnit people USC means University of Southern California not University of South Carolina. People from the east and more specifically from South and maybe North Carolina are the only ones who referr to South Carolina as USC. DAMNITT!!!!!!;)

University of South Carolina founded 1801 as South Carolina College; Changed to University of South Carolina in 1865.

University of Southern California founded 1880.

The more important point here is that is not Carolina as the thread title suggests. It is SOUTH Carolina. Carolina is in Chapel Hill.

JMU Newbill
February 11th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Are we really arguing over what USC stands for? I guess I should re-evaluate how I abbreviate JMU, seeing as how I hear James Monroe University is opening up soon, and there's no way possible that we could both use the abbreviation "JMU".

Libertine
February 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Just wait until John Madden starts a school.

appmaj
February 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM
Are we really arguing over what USC stands for? I guess I should re-evaluate how I abbreviate JMU, seeing as how I hear James Monroe University is opening up soon, and there's no way possible that we could both use the abbreviation "JMU".

Yeah you've lost the rights.

kirkblitz
February 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Because he is probably one of those fair-weather FCS fans who attends CCU games only when he can't get cheap tickets to Williams Brice Stadium? We have a few of those here in Chucktown, too. Clempson fans, also.

i havent missed a ccu homegame in 3 years xeyebrowx

theres nothing wrong with loving FBS teams as well when they will NEVER meet on the field of play. I dont need cheap tickets to Willy B when my family has club seats avalible for me. Do you know how many times i have turned down carolina games to go to CCU game? Dont be a ass

letsgopards04
February 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
I love how everyone is thinking he's transferring so that we have a starter in him. That's not the case at all. We've got two really good quarterbacks along with a very talented redshirt freshman that's still learning who will all be in spring ball. Beecher won't get here til May at the earliest. I will be very, very surprised if Mike Brown doesn't win our starting quarterback job.

I don't think anyone is saying that at least on here.

bigSfan89
February 11th, 2009, 10:23 AM
give Beecher a break. i don't give Spurrier much credit as a motivator, he's too in your face. don't blame Beecher for wanting a change of scenery and another chance to play. Give the Liberty coach a little credit. Coach will evaluate this guy and start his best QB. Liberty has a very good program and if Beecher can contribute= great. Go Big South

PS> i don' need any smack from gamecock fans. I root for them too.

Sir William
February 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM
give Beecher a break. i don't give Spurrier much credit as a motivator, he's too in you face.

Spurrier does have a reputation for being more harsh toward his quarterbacks.

Seven Would Be Nice
February 11th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Maybe Spurrior was going to pull his schollie so he found a place where he could finish school for free before going into the seminary.

Libertine
February 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Maybe Spurrior was going to pull his schollie so he found a place where he could finish school for free before going into the seminary.

Beecher will graduate with his degree from S. Carolina in May.

Seven Would Be Nice
February 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Beecher will graduate with his degree from S. Carolina in May.

There goes my theory. xdohx

kirkblitz
February 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
his degree is in mathamatics.

but spurrier kicked alot of people off the team to free up schoolies. beecher still isnt that great though.