PDA

View Full Version : Washington St QB to transfer to I-AA

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2005, 10:28 AM
Josh Swogger went to high school in Y'town (Ursuline HS, Catholic) and his teammate there is current YSU walk on Louis Irizarry (Ohio St). Rumor here in Y'town he is headed to YSU but then we thought Sonny Riccio was coming here also. We'll have to wait and see, others in the running are EWU, Montana St, & Richmond.

Wash St Rivals (http://washingtonstate.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=1413&mid=63026961&sid=&tid=63026961&style=1)

Olympia news (http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051122/SPORTS0702/511220316/1002)

YSU board (http://www.ysupenguins.com/cgi-bin/ib3new/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=2830)

Swogger bio (http://wsucougars.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/swogger_josh00.html)

CatFan22
November 22nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Rumor in the Northwest is that he heading to Montana St.

putter
November 22nd, 2005, 01:08 PM
I have been hearing the same thing CatFan. Looks like if he stayed at WSU he would be the back-up and with Lulay graduating he may have a shot at starting for the Cats.

YSU4
November 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM
Sweet he lives in Vienna

blur2005
November 22nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Swogger is leaving? Wow. That wouldn't be a bad pickup for either the Bobcats or Penguins.

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2005, 03:07 PM
He is coming to the Penguins; I have talked with many in the program and those close to Josh; cough very close cough; he narrowed it down to YSU or Richmond and as of now YSU is his #1 choice and that fact is he can have 2-3 teamates from his 2000 State Championship Team on this team via transfers!
Iriazarry and Riley which are some of the best you will see when they come and Miles Williams from Fitch; he lead the Falcons to a 9-1 campaign last year in arguably one of the toughest regions in all of the USA.

YSU will be loaded next year at qb and running back again and Irizarry adds one of a kind TE talent and Riley fills the void that is left by outcoming Senior and Hula Bowl player--Kyle Smith.

Go Guins

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
If he does end up at YSU, what a potentially powerful offense we'd have next year to go along with most of the defense back

QB - Josh Swogger (Wash St, hometown Youngstown, that is if he unseats current QB Zetts)
TB - Marcus Mason (Illinois, 900 yds in 7 games this year)
TE/WR - Louis Irizarry (Ohio State, #2 rated TE coming out of HS, HS teammate of Swogger, walk on at YSU, eligible for '06)
WR - Miles Williams - (Michigan State, from Ytown area, eligible '06)
WR - Jimmy Riley - (Louisville, HS teammate of Swogger, Irizarry, rumored to be coming to YSU)
FB - Deke Ison (All GFC)
FB - Regis Edgerson (South Carolina, plays behind Ison & Mason)

All but Mason are Ohio guys & Edgerson is from the Cleveland area.

Hey, it's early, but all I have to look forward to now is next season

dbackjon
November 22nd, 2005, 03:12 PM
But if YSU goes I-A, how will they survive without I-A transfers? :confused:

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
LOL .. You donno the great players who are dumb enough to go to Kent and Akron... If they transferred as well; they won't cuz they are the teams best; they would be as good as anyone in the i-aa.

colonel84
November 22nd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Long term successful programs do not need a bunch of transfers every year - Murray State has tried to use that model for years and as a result have a revolving door in the head coaches office because they can't win.

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2005, 03:42 PM
YSU has always taken local transfers, even under St Tressel they had many. What is our coach and AD supposed to do when they come knocking, slam the door in their face and tell them to go away? As I stated above, all but 2 are from the Youngstown area. Swogger, Riley, & Irizarry played their home HS games at the Ice Castle.

Granted, some of them have a troubled past. Irizarry I think everyone knows about. I also think Williams got into some trouble at Mich St. Mason is why Illinois is now on probation. Irizarry is the puzzling one, model student athlete in HS and got into fights at Ohio St, actually spending time in jail for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if all these Ytown guys are in contact with each other planning their moves to be together since they are HS buddies

putter
November 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM
YSU had a good run at the end of the season. Do you even NEED a transfer QB?

GoGuins
November 22nd, 2005, 03:51 PM

I like our current QB Tom Zetts, but Swogger has a very strong arm and can run for his size 6'-5 250. If all falls into place with these transfers, Swogger will have many weapons to throw to. So as far as need, I'd say no but he would be a definite upgrade from our current QB (6-0 200, average arm strength)

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2005, 04:23 PM
Wanna know why we were 1-2 in the final 3; inexpierence at qb.. we had 3-4 drives in the second half at SIU with a lead or a tie all to come up with NO POINTS....

Swogger would be the one to finish the job there..

TigerFan17
November 22nd, 2005, 04:31 PM
Pretty cool for Richmond that they are getting some national looks from great players! Way to go guys!

catbob
November 22nd, 2005, 04:33 PM
I personally do not want him. We have a kid who has been in the system for three years and has looked good in practice. I don't want some transfer coming in for one year.

Baldy
November 22nd, 2005, 04:47 PM
If he does end up at YSU, what a potentially powerful offense we'd have next year to go along with most of the defense back

QB - Josh Swogger (Wash St, hometown Youngstown, that is if he unseats current QB Zetts)
TB - Marcus Mason (Illinois, 900 yds in 7 games this year)
TE/WR - Louis Irizarry (Ohio State, #2 rated TE coming out of HS, HS teammate of Swogger, walk on at YSU, eligible for '06)
WR - Miles Williams - (Michigan State, from Ytown area, eligible '06)
WR - Jimmy Riley - (Louisville, HS teammate of Swogger, Irizarry, rumored to be coming to YSU)
FB - Deke Ison (All GFC)
FB - Regis Edgerson (South Carolina, plays behind Ison & Mason)

All but Mason are Ohio guys & Edgerson is from the Cleveland area.

Hey, it's early, but all I have to look forward to now is next season

No wonder YSU has been in the tank for so many years. Your coaches can't recruit.

FlyYtown
November 22nd, 2005, 06:44 PM
Our current qb is a recruit... He is has done a pretty good job.. 2 of the backup running backs were recruits.

Most if not all the seniors this year were recruits as well..

Don't worry about us recruiting... Once we win and win we got them from our area.. check out www.jjhuddle.com ; the biggest hs football site on the net; and its only ohio; for recruits throughout the state eyeing YSU.

Blue42
November 22nd, 2005, 10:30 PM
YSU should stick with Zetts. Thought he looked pretty good in the dome this year until he got hurt. YSU is close to getting back on track, why would you shake things up at QB?

ThreadStopper
November 22nd, 2005, 10:36 PM
Washington State lost, or gave up on Chris Hurd at QB. He wound up at 1-AA Sacramento State. Playing QB at WSU must not be easy.

umassfan
November 23rd, 2005, 05:03 AM
Pretty cool for Richmond that they are getting some national looks from great players! Way to go guys!
Doesnt hurt that their coach loves to air it out and they will be looking for a new QB next season.

GoGuins
November 23rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
Rivals article (http://washingtonstate.scout.com/2/470266.html)

ysubigred
November 23rd, 2005, 11:00 AM
Would love to get Swogger at YSU but the 1 year wonder thing could screw up years to come after he graduates :confused: I don't know what to think :bang:

penguinonastick
November 23rd, 2005, 11:22 AM
Big Red,

You don't think Zetts can learn something from him for the next year?

GO GUINS
SCREW THE COMMITTEE

youwouldno
November 23rd, 2005, 01:11 PM
Sad when an entire starting offense is built on transfers.

Frankly, I-A transfers are overrated except for QBs. The problem with that position is that, usually, only 1 guy gets real playing time. But with RBs, WRs, TEs, linemen, defensive players... there is PT to go around. If someone can't cut it at a I-A school, they probably aren't THAT good. UTC has a ton of I-A transfers and the SoCon Big 3 smoked them with primarily homegrown talent.

Like I said though, QB is an exception. A lot of good QBs are on the bench at various schools. However, it's tough to bring someone in for one season. I could see why YSU would want him-- it's a bunch of transfers already without a good QB-- but MSU and Richmond might be better off without him.

FlyYtown
November 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Sad when an entire starting offense is built on transfers.

Frankly, I-A transfers are overrated except for QBs. The problem with that position is that, usually, only 1 guy gets real playing time. But with RBs, WRs, TEs, linemen, defensive players... there is PT to go around. If someone can't cut it at a I-A school, they probably aren't THAT good. UTC has a ton of I-A transfers and the SoCon Big 3 smoked them with primarily homegrown talent.

Like I said though, QB is an exception. A lot of good QBs are on the bench at various schools. However, it's tough to bring someone in for one season. I could see why YSU would want him-- it's a bunch of transfers already without a good QB-- but MSU and Richmond might be better off without him.
Like you would know... ...

YSU will be top 5 next year without a doubt in my mind..
MASON- Most rushing yards in Maryland {STATE HS} History
IRIZARRY- TOP 5 Tight End by Scout and Rivals.com
Swogger- Was a starter before an injury; was well on his way to NFL potential; now he is knocked outta his job.

I can go on and on... Irizarry and Mason both screwed up as did Williams; but Heacock will get their acts on straight; something GOD TRESSEL Can't do at Ohio State.

youwouldno
November 23rd, 2005, 02:28 PM
How many times have we heard that? Hell, Reid was going to straighten out TO in Philly. Ha.

grizindabox
November 23rd, 2005, 03:48 PM
Like you would know... ...

YSU will be top 5 next year without a doubt in my mind..
MASON- Most rushing yards in Maryland {STATE HS} History
IRIZARRY- TOP 5 Tight End by Scout and Rivals.com
Swogger- Was a starter before an injury; was well on his way to NFL potential; now he is knocked outta his job.

I can go on and on... Irizarry and Mason both screwed up as did Williams; but Heacock will get their acts on straight; something GOD TRESSEL Can't do at Ohio State.

I thought you and YSU were trying to pack up and move to 1-A? :eek:

JALMOND
November 25th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Today's Oregonian said that Coach Doba's first item on his agenda was to sit down and talk to Swogger and find out firsthand what was going on. Just said that Swogger was planning on transferring to I-AA, but did not name any schools nor did it say it was definite.

ysubigred
November 26th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Big Red,

You don't think Zetts can learn something from him for the next year?

GO GUINS
SCREW THE COMMITTEE

Sure he can learn something. "BUT" I've seen quite a few years of one year wonders. Most of the time (in my opinion) it's a set back for the QB you've groomed and has two years left (Zetts). Also, physically Zetts can't measure up to Swogger's three "S"s (size, strength, and speed) :coach:

CatFan22
November 28th, 2005, 12:38 AM
An article out of Bozeman:

http://bozemandailychronicle.com/articles/2005/11/28/sports/03swogger.txt

SochorField
November 28th, 2005, 01:13 AM
beware.

UC Davis had a backup QB from CAL transfer before last season.

He quit the team when he found out he wasnt good enough to start.

Hopefully Swogger will work out better at YSU. Its funny that a lot of I-A guys think they can walk into a I-AA program and take over. I'm not saying Swogger wont do well, dont get me wrong.

There is a QB from Hawaii who is looking to do the same thing. I think he has Montana State, Eastern Washington, UC Davis, and Sac State (i think) on his "list."
There are plenty of more than capable guys these tranfers will have to beat out.

CatFan22
November 28th, 2005, 01:24 AM
beware.

UC Davis had a backup QB from CAL transfer before last season.

He quit the team when he found out he wasnt good enough to start.

Hopefully Swogger will work out better at YSU. Its funny that a lot of I-A guys think they can walk into a I-AA program and take over. I'm not saying Swogger wont do well, dont get me wrong.

There is a QB from Hawaii who is looking to do the same thing. I think he has Montana State, Eastern Washington, UC Davis, and Sac State (i think) on his "list."
There are plenty of more than capable guys these tranfers will have to beat out.

Name?

SochorField
November 28th, 2005, 01:31 AM
Catfan22,

Here is the link for the Hawaii QB who wants into MSU, Montana, Eastern Washington, or UC Davis (not slac st.)

http://news.hawaii.com/article/2005/Nov/08/sp/FP511080354.html

They Cal QB who transfered to UC Davis, then quit, was Richard Schwarz.

CatFan22
November 28th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Catfan22,

Here is the link for the Hawaii QB who wants into MSU, Montana, Eastern Washington, or UC Davis (not slac st.)

They Cal QB who transfered to UC Davis, then quit, was Richard Schwarz.

Wheres the link?

CatFan22
November 28th, 2005, 01:35 AM
Thanks.

bunny
November 29th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Swogger has been released by Washington State according to this Seattle Times article. (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002653887_webcougs29.html)

Obzerver
November 29th, 2005, 04:38 PM
I heard Swooger is looking toward a pass oriented team so he can get some look sees from the NFL. I was unaware that YSU had a pass based offense. I watched him play in several games and whoever said he can run is sadly mistaken...he's slowwwwwwwwwwwww.

WhereDoITypeMyUsername?
November 29th, 2005, 04:47 PM
If the guy can't even hang on to the starting job for the wretched Cougs, I'm pretty skeptical of his ability to be a significant contributor on a top 20 I-AA team, quite frankly. Might be a decent pickup for a mid-level I-AA, or a team like Montana State or Eastern Washington that is pass-oriented and is losing their monster starting QB without any real backup prospects, though.

Bronco
November 29th, 2005, 04:57 PM
From the Bozeman paper link.

Jeff Swogger, speaking by phone from the family home near Youngstown, Ohio, said his son is �� percent sure” he will transfer to traditional NCAA Division I-AA power Youngstown State for his senior year.

He's O% or is that a square...can't tell...either way I don't understand.

Marcus Garvey
November 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM
YSU has always taken local transfers, even under St Tressel they had many. What is our coach and AD supposed to do when they come knocking, slam the door in their face and tell them to go away?

Joe Paterno does exactly that. He's never been interested very much in transfers, including Juco players.

So to answer your question: Yes, you can slam the door in their face and tell them to go away. However, I'd be more polite about it.

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2005, 05:46 PM
From the Bozeman paper link.

Jeff Swogger, speaking by phone from the family home near Youngstown, Ohio, said his son is �� percent sure” he will transfer to traditional NCAA Division I-AA power Youngstown State for his senior year.

He's O% or is that a square...can't tell...either way I don't understand.
I know his father personally and I can't release the ?%=##% but I can tell you I am nearly certain he is coming to Youngstown State.....

He played his high school ball on that field and afew of his buddies from the 2000 Ursuline State Championship Team are transferring to YSU as well; Irizarry; Riley; Graves (Last 2 are Rumored but Louis Irizzary is already in YSU this fall.)

catbob
November 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
He is visiting MSU this weekend.

WSU transfers do fairly well at MSU generally.

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Problem is they will have to show a lot to him or he is for sure coming back home. You guys can wish but its extremely unlikely, YSU is a skyscraper compared to these other schools he is looking at.

|
/ \
| |
| |
| |
=====

GoGuins
November 30th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Problem is they will have to show a lot to him or he is for sure coming back home. You guys can wish but its extremely unlikely, YSU is a skyscraper compared to these other schools he is looking at.

|
/ \
| |
| |
| |
=====

I wouldn't be so sure Swogger is coming to YSU, remember Sonny Riccio? His dad said he was coming to YSU also then he went to DE

Ronbo
November 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM

|
/ \
| |
| |
| |
=====

Huh? I resent that statement, Montana has facilities that rival WSU's. Plus we have a new locker room, weight room, and meeting rooms/offices with an Alum Club overlooking the field being added to the South End of the stadium this summer.

WSU averages 30,000
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wast/nonsport/facilities/wast-martin-stadium-250-05.jpg
Montana averages 23,500
http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/rotatingimages/stadiums_and_facilities/wgs_RainbowStadium275.jpg

From the Spokesman Review.
Glenn Kasses
Staff writer
November 29, 2005

For the time being – and not in order of preference – Swogger is considering Eastern Illinois, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Richmond and Youngstown State.

"Unless something happens in the next couple hours," he joked. "It's going to get crazier as the week gets older. I'm just kind of manning the phones."

To wit: Montana State is visiting Swogger today. Montana and Idaho State will join that parade later in the week. And the strong-armed passer is heading to Montana State this weekend for a visit of his own.

At 6-foot-5 and 255 pounds, Swogger was named by at least one preseason magazine the strongest-armed passer in the Pac-10 last summer, before Alex Brink beat him out in fall camp for the job. Since he has already used a redshirt year, Swogger can't transfer to a I-A school because he doesn't have an extra year of eligibility to sit out per NCAA transfer rules.

Advertisement

However, the quarterback can go to a I-AA school and play right away.

"In the end, I'm going to go where I feel comfortable," Swogger said, "where I feel I can compete, where I can showcase what I can do, where I'm comfortable with the coaches, the offensive coaches, and where I have a chance to go to the playoffs and win a national championship."

A number of other factors will go into the decision, however. Swogger should be two classes from graduation after this semester, so schools that allow for a smooth academic transition could have an edge. Youngstown State holds obvious appeal because it is near Swogger's Ohio hometown, but his wife will be staying in Pullman this spring finishing her degree, so a Big Sky school could be a better fit.

Spokesman Review (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/)

GoGuins
November 30th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Huh? I resent that statement, Montana has facilities that rival WSU's. Plus we have a new locker room, weight room, and meeting rooms/offices with an Alum Club overlooking the field being added to the South End of the stadium this summer.

From the Spokesman Review.
Glenn Kasses
Staff writer
November 29, 2005

For the time being – and not in order of preference – Swogger is considering Eastern Illinois, Eastern Washington, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Richmond and Youngstown State.

Youngstown State holds obvious appeal because it is near Swogger's Ohio hometown, but his wife will be staying in Pullman this spring finishing her degree, so a Big Sky school could be a better fit.

Spokesman Review (http://www.spokesmanreview.com/sports/)

Nevermind FlyYtown, he thinks YSU is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I didn't know Montana was in the mix now, obviously he's looking at every possibility out west because of his wife finishing school. I'm sure he wants to enroll somewhere else in Jan and play spring ball.

Whoever gets him is getting a class individual, strong competitor, and one heck of a strong arm

catbob
November 30th, 2005, 05:07 PM
One key element here: Mike Kramer. That guy could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

I know some of you Griz fans have heard Kramer speak, he is impossible not to like in person.

eagle1
November 30th, 2005, 06:25 PM
News flash! It was reported on easternwashington.rivals.com that he was in Cheney today checking out EWU. Go Eagles!!!

FL connection
November 30th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Glad to see EIU is in the hunt.....could be a great match. connection out!

GoGuins
December 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
I don't think Swogger will end up at YSU. Look for him to choose MSU or Montana. Just what I'm hearing and reading

FlyYtown
December 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM
I was the first on YSUPenguins Boards to say Swogger was looking at coming here; and now from the same person am hearing his choice will come within 3 weeks after his visit to MSU...

But If I were a betting man I'd put the odds at 9/1 he is coming to YSU.. btw: He never even looked at Montana fyi; so what your hearing is false.

Kaduce
December 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
He was going to vist Montana and Montana State on the same go around.

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
He was going to vist Montana and Montana State on the same go around.
Well I appreciate the Info but I am kinda surprised he looked at Montana. He never even mentioned them to me..

catbob
December 3rd, 2005, 11:56 AM
Go to e-griz and you'll see he is already a done deal at Montana. xcoffeex

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Go to e-griz and you'll see he is already a done deal at Montana. xcoffeex
That information is totally BOGUS. I called his father and he said thats a plain lie. I don't know why they are posting that lie!

How can you beleive someone with 1 post anyway.

Ronbo
December 3rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
Don't get excited, that thread was started by a first time poster (probably a troll from another school). Nobody believed him. Swogger is going to visit Montana though. Not sure our Coaches want a 1 year transfer.

Tailbone
December 3rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Swogger might enjoy throwing to Craig Chambers (should he decide to come to Montana - very likely) or handing the ball off to Lex Hilliard.

Definite playoff & NC potential.

With the past success of the Montana program (getting to the playoffs & NC games), and the talent returning next year, I'd think Swogger might think seriously about the Griz - not much downside.

FlyYtown
December 3rd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Swogger might enjoy throwing to Craig Chambers (should he decide to come to Montana - very likely) or handing the ball off to Lex Hilliard.

Definite playoff & NC potential.

With the past success of the Montana program (getting to the playoffs & NC games), and the talent returning next year, I'd think Swogger might think seriously about the Griz - not much downside.
Nothing against Montana but what won't he get at YSU? He gets to come home. Play in a beautiful stadium; play with his former teammates from his 2000 State Championship Team; play with a playoff and NC Contender....

Not much downside at YSU either in 06... btw: major recruit announcement in January..