PDA

View Full Version : Question for GSU fans

ChickenMan
February 9th, 2009, 08:14 AM
It appears that Georgia St is recruiting the general same area as GSU.. what impact.. if any.. did Georgia St's recruiting have on GSU this year. Also how do you think Georgia St did with their first recruiting class?

Link to that class...

http://caainsider.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4717&Itemid=370

Eaglesrus
February 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I don't follow recruiting as closely as many others, but I would say this year they had no impact. I think this is supported by the fact that a quick scan of the list you attached shows only one recruit that both of us offered and neither of us signed him. I think they will have an effect once they actually start playing, but I think they'll affect App State, Furman, Wofford, Chattanooga, Samford, Jacksonville State, etc., just as much.

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 9th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I don't follow recruiting as closely as many others, but I would say this year they had no impact. I think this is supported by the fact that a quick scan of the list you attached shows only one recruit that both of us offered and neither of us signed him. I think they will have an effect once they actually start playing, but I think they'll affect App State, Furman, Wofford, Chattanooga, Samford, Jacksonville State, etc., just as much.

They did get a cornerback that we were after, but other than that I don't think we had any common targets. That's fine. We still have plenty of DB signees to replace all the seniors we will have in the secondary this year.

As for how GState did with recruiting...they have a few nice prospects but IMO they are not recruiting like a top FCS program yet. I think they are just concerned about having a complete unit for 2010.

Eagle22
February 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
They did get a cornerback that we were after, but other than that I don't think we had any common targets. That's fine. We still have plenty of DB signees to replace all the seniors we will have in the secondary this year.

As for how GState did with recruiting...they have a few nice prospects but IMO they are not recruiting like a top FCS program yet. I think they are just concerned about having a complete unit for 2010.

Which one of the three CB's that they signed are you referring to ? Morton, Blackwell or Stevens ?

KJ Morton was a pretty good corner for Northside, but I don't believe we offered him.

All of our signees at CB this year would be considered by most, as better prospects.

Give Georgia State a few more years, and they may present more of a challenge to the SoCon, MEAC and OVC teams in the region. Their QB signee out of Henry County was a pretty good one ... saw him play several times in the region vs. Mary Persons.

introvertedGSUfan
February 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I'm just hoping for a GSU - GSU rivalry to form.

Seven Would Be Nice
February 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm just hoping for a GSU - GSU rivalry to form.

Battle for the Name?

ChooChoo
February 9th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Battle for the Name?
I'm all for that! xpeacex

Monarch Nation
February 9th, 2009, 04:17 PM
ChooChoo, is that the official Ga State helmet or has it been revealed yet?

FCS_pwns_FBS
February 9th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Which one of the three CB's that they signed are you referring to ? Morton, Blackwell or Stevens ?

KJ Morton was a pretty good corner for Northside, but I don't believe we offered him.

All of our signees at CB this year would be considered by most, as better prospects.

Give Georgia State a few more years, and they may present more of a challenge to the SoCon, MEAC and OVC teams in the region. Their QB signee out of Henry County was a pretty good one ... saw him play several times in the region vs. Mary Persons.

My mistake...they didn't get the guy that both GSUs were after. The guys name was Treon Howard.

blueballs
February 9th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I don't think GA ST had any impact this year on GSU but that can and likely will change in the future when they actually hit the field and start playing.

GSU will have some major inherent advantages and I agree with the poster who stated Ga ST will affect JSU, Chatty, FU, App, Woffie just as much as GSU too.

ChooChoo
February 10th, 2009, 12:25 AM
ChooChoo, is that the official Ga State helmet or has it been revealed yet?
Nah, it's just the colors I prefer. There has been no decision made to my knowledge. It was discussed a year or so ago that a complete mascot makeover may be coming. That was pre-Curry though. He may love the current look. I haven't heard. Our colors are red, while and blue but seeing as there is already a red, gold, and blue helmet in-state, I just figured the white would be unique. Plus Blue and white have emerged as the primary colors the past few years. That a long enough answer to a simple question?

UNHWildCats
February 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM
xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Adding a team to Atlanta will affect recruiting in some way. However, the state of Georgia is one of the most heavily recruited and most talent heavy states in the country when it comes to football talent, so I doubt the well will run dry with the addition of GSU.

Ga State can offer players the ability to live and play in Atlanta, something that might be a draw for some kids.

Seven Would Be Nice
February 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Nah, it's just the colors I prefer. There has been no decision made to my knowledge. It was discussed a year or so ago that a complete mascot makeover may be coming. That was pre-Curry though. He may love the current look. I haven't heard. Our colors are red, while and blue but seeing as there is already a red, gold, and blue helmet in-state, I just figured the white would be unique. Plus Blue and white have emerged as the primary colors the past few years. That a long enough answer to a simple question?

Hopefully not Blue and White... having two GSU's is bad enough, having them wear similar colors is just wrong!

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Hopefully not Blue and White... having two GSU's is bad enough, having them wear similar colors is just wrong!

Unless I'm mistaken, GSU-Atlanta is Blue, Silver and Red.

jmufan999
February 10th, 2009, 02:01 PM
i'm no expert on this, so this is just a guess.

i would imagine that it had little to no effect this year. it's hard to recruit kids to a brand new program, even if you are in Atlanta. every school in the southeast is picking talent from that area, so it's not like it's untapped. after a few years of success, maybe Ga Southern could be concerned. i doubt it, for right now. Ga Southern has an extremely recognizable "brand", at least as far as FCS goes.

introvertedGSUfan
February 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
i'm no expert on this, so this is just a guess.

i would imagine that it had little to no effect this year. it's hard to recruit kids to a brand new program, even if you are in Atlanta. every school in the southeast is picking talent from that area, so it's not like it's untapped. after a few years of success, maybe Ga Southern could be concerned. i doubt it, for right now. Ga Southern has an extremely recognizable "brand", at least as far as FCS goes.

Definitely, I was surprised how many guys Hatcher landed that had offers from decent FCS schools.

paward
February 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Ga State is closer to UTC than Ga Southern. It is really going to be interesting if Valdosta State and/or West Georgia move to the FCs ranks.

PaladinFan
February 10th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Ga State is closer to UTC than Ga Southern. It is really going to be interesting if Valdosta State and/or West Georgia move to the FCs ranks.

very true. If VSU moves up, and they should, they would be smack in the middle of GSU's recruiting base.

seantaylor
February 10th, 2009, 10:39 PM
South Georgia is where the real talent is in Georgia. GSU did a really good job of hitting it hard below the gnat line.

elon77
February 11th, 2009, 01:04 PM

It looks like a mad scooby doo.xlolx