PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern State's Remarkable Recruiting Job

JohnStOnge
February 7th, 2009, 07:08 AM
I know there are limitations to the rivals "star" system but I do think it gives at least some indication of how "desired" recruits are perceived as being. Take a look at Northwestern State's class as listed by Rivals:

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=166

Three "3-stars" and five "2-stars."

I wondered how new Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto would do for two reasons. One is that he took over late in the game. The other is that, frankly, he was kind of disgraced at LSU. He was co-defensive coordinator there during 2008 and the fans wanted him gone big time. He was not coming off a performance generally perceived as anything but really bad.

Yet, though time will tell, it looks like he did really well.

Tribe4SF
February 7th, 2009, 07:43 AM
They may be great players, but their three "three stars" had a grand total of one other offer between them, and that was from McNeese.

JohnStOnge
February 7th, 2009, 11:49 AM
They may be great players, but their three "three stars" had a grand total of one other offer between them, and that was from McNeese.

I don't know exactly how that "offer" checklist works and I haven't seen the other two play. But I think it's very unlikely that there was a FCS school in this region that wasn't interested in getting Ridge Turner if they thought they could.

It is kind of interesting, though, that Northwestern States "two star" guys listed more "other offers" than the "three star" guys did.

Franks Tanks
February 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Actually a lot of those guys had interest from Sun Belt schools and even C-USA teams. That D-tacke is listed as having an offer from Houston and interest from Big 12 schools early in the recruiting process-- he looks like a player. That is an impresive list of recruits with a lot of highly rated athletic recruits-- very impressive

Lionsrking
February 7th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I know there are limitations to the rivals "star" system but I do think it gives at least some indication of how "desired" recruits are perceived as being. Take a look at Northwestern State's class as listed by Rivals:

http://rivals100.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?Year=2009&School=166

Three "3-stars" and five "2-stars."

I wondered how new Northwestern State head coach Bradley Dale Peveto would do for two reasons. One is that he took over late in the game. The other is that, frankly, he was kind of disgraced at LSU. He was co-defensive coordinator there during 2008 and the fans wanted him gone big time. He was not coming off a performance generally perceived as anything but really bad.

Yet, though time will tell, it looks like he did really well.

What they don't tell you is at least half of their class won't be eligible. It's very similar to our 2004 class that Hal Mumme signed. Great on paper but very few ever showed up on campus.

Dallas Demon
February 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
What they don't tell you is at least half of their class won't be eligible. It's very similar to our 2004 class that Hal Mumme signed. Great on paper but very few ever showed up on campus.

And you know this because of...? If we had a great recruiting class, fine, hopefully that translates on the football field with wins. Don't feel so threatened just yet...

Dallas Demon
February 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Actually a lot of those guys had interest from Sun Belt schools and even C-USA teams. That D-tacke is listed as having an offer from Houston and interest from Big 12 schools early in the recruiting process-- he looks like a player. That is an impresive list of recruits with a lot of highly rated athletic recruits-- very impressive

I just looked through the rivals list in detail for the first time, looks like Kansas offered two of our signees. This was indeed a great class on paper. Hopefully exciting times ahead.

Lionsrking
February 7th, 2009, 06:15 PM
And you know this because of...? If we had a great recruiting class, fine, hopefully that translates on the football field with wins. Don't feel so threatened just yet...

Because I have personal knowledge concerning at least five of them and Peveto has told mutual friends that you guys were going to take quite a few props. Maybe some of them willl miraculously make it between now and August, I don't know, but I suspect you'll have several kids paying their own way the first year, or going the JC route.

JohnStOnge
February 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I just looked through the rivals list in detail for the first time, looks like Kansas offered two of our signees. This was indeed a great class on paper. Hopefully exciting times ahead.

I'll admit I'm pretty frustrated by the fact that McNeese offered Ridge Turner and Bradley Brown but they signed with Northwestern State. Objectively, they'd have been playing for a program with a better history in terms of winning, making the playoffs, advancing in the playoffs, etc. Plus McNeese has a bigger fan base. Additionally, though it's subjective, I think most who have been to both venues would agree that McNeese has a better game day atmosphere. Plus there's the fact that McNeese really features the type of player they, and particularly Turner, would project to be. He'd have been cast in the B.J. Sams, Steven Whitehead type of role. I am really perplexed as to why those two would've chosen Northwestern State. I tip my hat to Peveto and staff for convincing them, but I frankly just don't get it.

JohnStOnge
February 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Because I have personal knowledge concerning at least five of them and Peveto has told mutual friends that you guys were going to take quite a few props. Maybe some of them willl miraculously make it between now and August, I don't know, but I suspect you'll have several kids paying their own way the first year, or going the JC route.

I am not criticizing them by any means but I think it's pretty much a given that not everybody in a class is going to be eligible the first year when you sign 26 as an FCS school. However, that is still a very good recruiting class.

Lionsrking
February 7th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I'll admit I'm pretty frustrated by the fact that McNeese offered Ridge Turner and Bradley Brown but they signed with Northwestern State. Objectively, they'd have been playing for a program with a better history in terms of winning, making the playoffs, advancing in the playoffs, etc. Plus McNeese has a bigger fan base. Additionally, though it's subjective, I think most who have been to both venues would agree that McNeese has a better game day atmosphere. Plus there's the fact that McNeese really features the type of player they, and particularly Turner, would project to be. He'd have been cast in the B.J. Sams, Steven Whitehead type of role. I am really perplexed as to why those two would've chosen Northwestern State. I tip my hat to Peveto and staff for convincing them, but I frankly just don't get it.

I wouldn't sweat Ridge...the chances of him wearing a Demon uniform are pretty slim and the same would be true had he signed with us or McNeese...don't be surprised if he's at a JC next year.

Lionsrking
February 7th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I am not criticizing them by any means but I think it's pretty much a given that not everybody in a class is going to be eligible the first year when you sign 26 as an FCS school. However, that is still a very good recruiting class.

It's pretty good if they all show up and become eligible...otherwise, it's a paper class like we had in 2004...that class set us way back and we're just now recovering.

Dallas Demon
February 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM

Whoa, you should have stopped while you were ahead. Yes, many of your points are indeed subjective. I think Northwestern's game day atmosphere is fabulous, and there's no way I would trade it for McNeese's. We have what I consider the best stadium and campus in the conference, an on-campus stadium setting, and a lively pre-game setting. Maybe the players are more concerned with the ability to win moving forward, an SEC caliber coaching staff, good all-around athletic programs, excellent academics, and a town setting featured in movies. BTW, the crowds will come with the winning.

Dallas Demon
February 7th, 2009, 08:43 PM

Personal knowledge? Are you a coach/recruiter? They in the family? Were there newspaper articles that you can reference? Do you hang out with them? xeyebrowx

You seem to think that the only way that we got such a great recruiting class is by selecting props. Who knows, I'd like to think it's because of the excellent new staff and the great job they have done on selling Northwestern. We'll know as these kids enroll regarding the props. As far as winning, we'll have to wait till we hit the field.

NSUDemon98
February 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM

I have insider information that they signed with NSU because they wanted to play on the same field that the best marching band in the SLC and one of the best in FCS march on. xcoolx

But seriously, you do bring up good points that I will never be able to answer. But things have to change somehow...and hopefully these young men will help NSU become better in more than just football.

NSUDemon98
February 7th, 2009, 09:29 PM
It's pretty good if they all show up and become eligible...otherwise, it's a paper class like we had in 2004...that class set us way back and we're just now recovering.

You're starting to sound like a broken record. If you feel that they'll never even hit the field then you should be happy and not so worried about it.

McNeese75
February 7th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Whoa, you should have stopped while you were ahead. Yes, many of your points are indeed subjective. I think Northwestern's game day atmosphere is fabulous, and there's no way I would trade it for McNeese's. We have what I consider the best stadium and campus in the conference, an on-campus stadium setting, and a lively pre-game setting. Maybe the players are more concerned with the ability to win moving forward, an SEC caliber coaching staff, good all-around athletic programs, excellent academics, and a town setting featured in movies. BTW, the crowds will come with the winning.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I doubt most people who have visited both venues would agree. xrolleyesx

Dallas Demon
February 7th, 2009, 10:27 PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion but I doubt most people who have visited both venues would agree. xrolleyesx

Likewise for you. I agree that your crowds traditionally are bigger, as they should be with a much larger population base. Your atmosphere is fine, I like it, I just happen to like our setup much better.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM

Since you guys are poking at each other, I will join in. Which FCS school in Louisiana has the best fan base, best stadium , best tailgating, best endzone complex and best game day atmosphere. :D:D:D:D

"S"

McNeese75
February 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Since you guys are poking at each other, I will join in. Which FCS school in Louisiana has the best fan base, best stadium , best tailgating, best endzone complex and best game day atmosphere. :D:D:D:D

"S"

Pot Stirrer xlolx

Three schools, three opinions, doubt there will be much clarity here :D

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 8th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Pot Stirrer xlolx

Three schools, three opinions, doubt there will be much clarity here :D
:) Like my mom use to tell me when I was a young child, the truth shall set you free. xlolx

McNeese75
February 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM
:) Like my mom use to tell me when I was a young child, the truth shall set you free. xlolx

xlolx Oh now, I think you are a hero in your own mind xnodxxpeacex

McTailGator
February 8th, 2009, 02:16 PM

What is so "Miraculous" about it?

NSU AND McNeese have EXCELLENT academic centers to get and insure that it's players and students get qualified and stay qualified, as LONG AS THEY GO TO CLASS.

(NOTE: If a kid refuses to go to class, there isn't ANYTHING anyone can do for him or her). We have had our share of those, but they didn't need to be props to not want to go to class.

McNeese, NSU, AND SLU ALL take a kid from an economically depressed background (because the federal govt says we must) that has the core grades, but might be a couple of points shy of their ACT requirements (along with a limited number of students from economically depressed backgrounds), They are granted an admissions waiver, come in under probation, go to summer school, work hard, to get 24 hours toward their degrees by the end of their first year, and then presto they have 3 years to play and can get that 4th year back if they make satisfactory progress toward their degree.

McNeese has 4 former props on the deans list now because they sucked up their ACT, but were good kids that had the potential to make good grades.

IT IS A RISK...

But for schools like McNeese and NSU that can offer small class sizes so the kids get personal attention, AND that have coaches committed to pushing kids to go to class and monitor their grade progress, that risk can be MUCH less.

These kids would be in the Big 12 or the SEC if they had the ACT in order before February and would be 3 or 4 star players (rivals or scout). But the LSU's and Texas of the world won't and can't wait for a 3 or 4 star when every 5 star on the planet wants to play for you. So we will sign a 3/4 star Prop. help them in everyway legal to get them qualified, and then we will march in and beat every school in the Sun Belt and many schools in C-USA, or the WAC if they have the balls (or stupidity) to play us.

SLU has grown fast and as a result has probably made the risk MUCH higher, especially if you ignore these kids grades and study habits. So you might not take as many props (BUT YOU HAVE AND WILL CONTINUE TO OFFER THEM AND WOULD TAKE MORE OF THEM IF THEY SIGNED).

McNeese offered both Brown and Turner, and would have taken them in, gotten them qualified, and played them in 2010 had they signed. They chose NSU, and McNeese did not get any Props this year as a result. Some would say, well they weren't qualified, and we did not want any props. I would say BULL, we would have taken them because they will be difference makers.

McNeese has led the SLC for two years in a row in Honor Roll (both overall and in football) and it is a direct result of the study halls that our athletes are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to attend and a result of their position coaches and academic advisor's constantly counseling them (even if they don't ask). We modeled our Academic Center on NSU's where it is manned by dedicated McNeese professors that are SPORTS fans and bleed blue and gold. You can't just put a nerd in their that hates athletes and could care less about your program or school spirit.

It is open to ALL students on campus.

It works! Thus Props are less of a risk, especially when class size is small.

It is NO DIFFERENT from taking a bunch of JUCO players who were once PROPs. We just take them a couple of years sooner, get them in small classes with good caring professors for the 1st year and then get to have them for 4 years instead of 2 years.

It is not as big a risk to the APR when you have small classes, push the kids to go get tutored, help them get a PELL Grant (remember they are economically disadvantaged) and get to sign only a partial scholarship a year later.

Those PROPS from the JUCO's usually cost a full ride.

McTailGator
February 8th, 2009, 02:20 PM

xrotatehx

I was wondering if he got out very much. xlolx

McTailGator
February 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM

"S"

Worst Coach

And Bad Conference.

xsmiley_wix

S

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 8th, 2009, 02:30 PM
xrotatehx

I was wondering if he got out very much. xlolxI get out alot. Never miss a SU game, even going to Los Angeles in a week or so, to see my Jags play in the MLB baseball Classic , btw you can watch us play San Diego St. that Saturday on ESPN2, and San Diego and Bethune game on the MLB network :).
When has McNeese ever had higher home attendence xconfusedx . When has McNeese ever had 80,000 folks on campus tailgating(SU's homecoming every year), When has McNeese ever took 30,000 to a away game(happens every other year SU vs Jackson State, SU never has a away game usually have more fans than the home team) , and Finally SU's 1 million dollar NATURAL GRASS playing SUrface, 5 million dollar pressbox, 3 million dollar scoreboard, and 16.3 million dollar Endzone complex are > than what yall have or going to build. THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE xlolx .

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 8th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Worst Coach

And Bad Conference.

xsmiley_wix

S

Not historically. :) The SWAC has more history and tradition than any other FCS conference. Every FCS Award is named after someone from the SWAC.I will admit Pete is getting old, but wait until you see who we are going to hire after next season. :D SU's new coach will make around $350,00, so that lets you know what kind of coach we will have.

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Not historically. :) The SWAC has more history and tradition than any other FCS conference. Every FCS Award is named after someone from the SWAC.I will admit Pete is getting old, but wait until you see who we are going to hire after next season. :D SU's new coach will make around $350,00, so that lets you know what kind of coach we will have.

Amazing that SU could offer that kind of $$$ per year for a coach while not taking complete care of the most successful coach on campus and their facility... xwhistlex

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 8th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Amazing that SU could offer that kind of $$$ per year for a coach while not taking complete care of the most successful coach on campus and their facility... xwhistlex
That has more to do with the State's RED TAPE than any thing else. The money is in place and the repairs to the outfield fence will happen before baseballs first home game. BTW former MLB pitcher Dave Stewart was @ SU yesterday working with our pitchers :).

TexasTerror
February 8th, 2009, 03:17 PM
That has more to do with the State's RED TAPE than any thing else. The money is in place and the repairs to the outfield fence will happen before baseballs first home game. BTW former MLB pitcher Dave Stewart was @ SU yesterday working with our pitchers :).

Isn't Stewart a volunteer assistant for the Jags?

I'll be visiting SU once this year for a baseball game. The biggest areas of need for the Jags seem to be the batting cage and non-baseball related ("the press box").

McTailGator
February 8th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I get out alot. Never miss a SU game, even going to Los Angeles in a week or so, to see my Jags play in the MLB baseball Classic , btw you can watch us play San Diego St. that Saturday on ESPN2, and San Diego and Bethune game on the MLB network :).
When has McNeese ever had higher home attendence xconfusedx . When has McNeese ever had 80,000 folks on campus tailgating(SU's homecoming every year), When has McNeese ever took 30,000 to a away game(happens every other year SU vs Jackson State, SU never has a away game usually have more fans than the home team) , and Finally SU's 1 million dollar NATURAL GRASS playing SUrface, 5 million dollar pressbox, 3 million dollar scoreboard, and 16.3 million dollar Endzone complex are > than what yall have or going to build. THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE xlolx .

Dahhhh

He was speaking to a Demon fan.

SU was not in that topic...

McTailGator
February 8th, 2009, 04:13 PM

ULL's coach made that and we kicked his @$$ too. xsmiley_wix

The entire SWAC has the best atheltes and the absolute worst coaching.

You may be able to get London from Richmond at 350K.

But he may be holding out for a bigger better job.

Dallas Demon
February 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
xrotatehx

I was wondering if he got out very much. xlolx

You know I get out. Been to most venues including McNeese. I enjoy being able to pull up your RV to the center of tailgating, plug in for electricity, cable TV, water, etc. with the party right beside you and the stadium in the background. Tons of activities for the kids to do (jump houses), live bands, kids playing football and other games, free food, free drinks, all in a terrific campus atmosphere. Restaurants/clubs hopping before/after the game, front street by the river closed for a big dance well into the night, etc. in a gorgous setting. Track right there to get exercise if you are into running. You guys seem to have a good time when you come up too, don't pretend otherwise. I have the choice of doing a million things in DFW on the weekend, but when fall comes there is nothing better I like to do than to go to Natchitoches for a game and weekend tailgating.

Lionsrking
February 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
You're starting to sound like a broken record. If you feel that they'll never even hit the field then you should be happy and not so worried about it.

I'm not worried about it.

SUjagTILLiDIE
February 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
You may be able to get London from Richmond at 350K.

But he may be holding out for a bigger better job.

Not talking about him. :)

mikebigg
February 9th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Congrats Demons... see yall in Grambling this fall.xthumbsupx

Dallas Demon
February 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Congrats Demons... see yall in Grambling this fall.xthumbsupx

We hope to bring a huge crowd, I'm scheduling work now to not have any conflicts. Will be a great weekend, looking forward to seeing and mingling with the Tiger nation.

UCABEARS75
February 9th, 2009, 03:59 PM
We hope to bring a huge crowd, I'm scheduling work now to not have any conflicts. Will be a great weekend, looking forward to seeing and mingling with the Tiger nation.

By the way, congrats on having a series with Grambling. I wish we could work something out with UAPB but they are just intent on messing it up.

I have reason to believe we are working with Jackson St. on a home and home maybe we could have something with Grambling down the line although the "regional" with NWST. sure makes sense.

McNeese75
February 9th, 2009, 10:23 PM

It would be nice to see a "huge crowd" of Demon fans on the road again.

Dallas Demon
February 10th, 2009, 01:33 AM
It would be nice to see a "huge crowd" of Demon fans on the road again.

At least the excitement is back, I hope that translates to a good portion of the fans that started dwindling the last few years.

mikebigg
February 10th, 2009, 03:21 AM
By the way, congrats on having a series with Grambling. I wish we could work something out with UAPB but they are just intent on messing it up.

I have reason to believe we are working with Jackson St. on a home and home maybe we could have something with Grambling down the line although the "regional" with NWST. sure makes sense.

Not sure exactly how close geographically the two schools are, but this has got to be a closer travel than most teams on our schedule. Hopefully our new AD will be able to schedule actual non-conference games with real non-conference folk in the future.