PDA

View Full Version : Ex Miami coach Larry Coker eyes new UTSA program

texcap
February 5th, 2009, 11:00 AM
It is being reported that fromer Miami coach Larry Coker has applied for the head coaching position at UT San Antonio's new program.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3884744

I know we already have a UTSA football thread, but I thought this one deserved a new start.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2009, 10:20 PM
UTSA is going to get some pretty interesting people looking at their program. A few names have already got out there and Larry Coker is not a surprise. Does he have the energy and enthusiasm to put into building this program up? It's going to take a lot of hand-shaking, fundraising, etc to get the thing going...

texcap
February 6th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I agree with all of your points, but it is fun to watch and see what develops.

Retro
February 6th, 2009, 02:22 PM
I don't consider Coker that great of a coach because he didn't last long enough for a full evaluation... He inherited a team loaded with talent and just had to keep them out of trouble long enough to win.. He then lost control of the team in no time.. Show me a coach that starts with nothing or a mediocre program and turns it into a national contender, and i'll show you a great coach...
Mumme and Glanville both came from high profile positions, but they didn't do much except bring some temporary publicity to small or new programs..

JMU DUUUKES LAW
February 6th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Here at Miami, we are not the biggest Coker fans obviously. You'd be better off going with a coach with more talent than "big name flare"

BearsCountry
February 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM
He is a Oklahoma native, lots of contacts in Texas and the Kansas/Oklahoma JUCOS. He was over his head at Miami, but UTSA might be a good fit for him.

texcap
February 24th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Larry Coker was named a finalist for the UTSA job. The other two finalists are Tulsa associate coach and co-defensive coordinator Paul Randolph and Northwest Missouri State head coach Mel Tjeerdsma.

I think the three are interesting choices and which one they pick will say a lot about UTSA's direction in football. Tjeerrdsma would probably mean they are not looking at FBS for a while, whereas Randolph and especially Coker would seem to indicate an abbreviated stop at FCS before moving on to FBS.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090224/ap_on_sp_co_ne/fbc_utsa_coker

Casey_Orourke
February 24th, 2009, 09:20 AM
A quick move to the FBS would be a misake for UTSA. If they moved up they would be no more than a perenial doormat for the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and other FBS powers while they establish their program. Even bad teams like Baylor would have a huge win against a program in its FBS infancy.

Libertine
February 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Regardless of future direction, Tjeerdsma would be an excellent choice.

NDB
February 24th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I agree, Tjeerdsma is a good coach. If you can kick-a$$ in marysville you can kick-a$$ in san antone.

MplsBison
February 24th, 2009, 02:31 PM
A quick move to the FBS would be a misake for UTSA. If they moved up they would be no more than a perenial doormat for the likes of Texas, Oklahoma and other FBS powers while they establish their program. Even bad teams like Baylor would have a huge win against a program in its FBS infancy.

FWIW, I picture UTSA about like UTEP.

BDKJMU
February 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM

Of the 10 I-A in Texas, sure that would maybe be the case with Texas & maybe A&M, Tech & TCU. But Houston, Rice, SMU, Baylor, UTEP & North Texas they could probably be competitive with within 5 years or so.

Including Sam Houston, State, SF Austin, Southern & Prarie View UTSA would make what, the 16th? Division I program in Texas?

Purple Pride
March 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know when UTSA will make an announcement?

catdaddy2402
March 7th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Does anyone know when UTSA will make an announcement?

Formal announcement Friday

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=3685649

With several hundred students, faculty, staff and friends of UTSA in attendance, the Roadrunners formally introduced Larry Coker as the first head football coach in school history on Friday morning. Coker was selected from a field of three finalists to build an NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision (FCS/formerly Division I-AA) program from the ground up.

“This is an exciting time for athletics at UTSA and we had a great group of finalists,” UTSA President Dr. Ricardo Romo said. “We are exceptionally pleased that Larry Coker has accepted our offer to organize and lead the first Roadrunner football program and all of us look forward to starting a new tradition at UTSA.”

"We are extremely thrilled to announce Larry Coker as our first head coach," Athletics Director Lynn Hickey said. "To bring in somebody of his caliber and with his resume to start up our program is a wonderful thing for the University and San Antonio."

The key for any program moving from FCS to FBS is finding conference affiliation. I doubt that between UTSA or Texas State that the first program to make the jump would have a problem finding a home. While CUSA would be ideal with four Texas schools in the Western Division I doubt that they would go beyond 12. However the WAC, since it's obvious they aren't going to dump La Tech, would love to have someone to bridge the gap between New Mexico State and La Tech. either UTSA or Texas State would serve that purpose. The addition of a 10th member would also allow for them to ease some of the travel burden from a spread out conference by either skipping one team a year with an eight game conference schedule, or having a designated rival every year and skipping two

The other scenario would be the Sun Belt, but IMO that would involve both UTSA and Texas State, as they already have South Alabama eventually coming online in a few years, so any expansion that makes sense for them is to expand by 2 to go to 12 and split into divisional play.

Sun Belt East

Troy
FAU
FIU
USA
MTSU
WKU

Sun Belt West

UNT
ASU
ULL
ULM
Texas St
UTSA

BearsCountry
March 8th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Formal announcement Friday

http://www.goutsa.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=13100&ATCLID=3685649

The key for any program moving from FCS to FBS is finding conference affiliation. I doubt that between UTSA or Texas State that the first program to make the jump would have a problem finding a home. While CUSA would be ideal with four Texas schools in the Western Division I doubt that they would go beyond 12. However the WAC, since it's obvious they aren't going to dump La Tech, would love to have someone to bridge the gap between New Mexico State and La Tech. either UTSA or Texas State would serve that purpose. The addition of a 10th member would also allow for them to ease some of the travel burden from a spread out conference by either skipping one team a year with an eight game conference schedule, or having a designated rival every year and skipping two

The other scenario would be the Sun Belt, but IMO that would involve both UTSA and Texas State, as they already have South Alabama eventually coming online in a few years, so any expansion that makes sense for them is to expand by 2 to go to 12 and split into divisional play.

Sun Belt East

Troy
FAU
FIU
USA
MTSU
WKU

Sun Belt West

UNT
ASU
ULL
ULM
Texas St
UTSA

Dont forget about Jacksonville State. One of the Texas schools will be in the WAC more than likely.

TexasTerror
March 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
UTSA is the popular choice over TXST in any conference expansion discussion, especially if just one school is needed...

SBC has 13 schools. Denver may go away eventually for 12, but the league does not make sense for a championship game setup (12 football teams). The schools are still building up their football programs for now and need more time to get to that stage...

If the C-USA raids the SBC - look for some combo of UTSA, Georgia State and Jax St head to teh SBC.

MplsBison
March 8th, 2009, 10:04 PM
TT jealously of the TSUS flagship rears its ugly head...

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 08:34 AM
TT jealously of the TSUS flagship rears its ugly head...

UTSA is not in the system...

If you had a sense when it comes to geography, you'd understand. You have Texas on one side, UTSA on another. The almighty dollar will always go to Texas and it will be followed by UTSA (see the San Antonio market).

UTSA is viewed as the next USF and UCF. Two schools in major cities that moved up the ladder fast. Where is Texas State? Well, if you look after the "-", you'll know it's San Marcos. That's not exactly a major city nor does it help any that UTSA is quickly moving to go FBS.

It may work out well for TXST and the two can be a packaged deal or perhaps it will be the worst possible scenario for them with UTSA in their backyard.

MplsBison
March 9th, 2009, 09:55 AM
It's 30 miles to Austin and 50 miles to San Antonio. And they have a huge enrollment.

There is a reason why they're the flagship of the system and they will be considered by the Sun Belt before UTSA.

TexasTerror
March 9th, 2009, 10:44 AM
It's 30 miles to Austin and 50 miles to San Antonio. And they have a huge enrollment.

Ah, very good!

Yet - they can not say they are the only Div I football school in the radius of either. They are squeezed by San Antonio (UTSA) and Austin (Texas) where the business will most likely give to those schools than one in "no man's land" in between. UTSA and Texas have much more appeal from a business standpoint, especially in terms of how many people they reach out to.

There is a reason why they're the flagship of the system and they will be considered by the Sun Belt before UTSA.

A) There is no flagship in the TSUS - so stop with posting "smack" on FCS Discussion. Sure the Mods will eat you up for that.

B) UTSA will have better facilities if they get all they are seeking plus are further along academically than the San Marcos based school.

C) UTSA will also help the SBC or any conference with bowl affiliation - have a hard time believing the Alamo Bowl will want to ignore UTSA's conference. What draw does a team in San Marcos have as far as bowls? What's hurting the SBC right now? BOWL AFFILIATION!

txphi592
March 9th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Ah, very good!

Yet - they can not say they are the only Div I football school in the radius of either. They are squeezed by San Antonio (UTSA) and Austin (Texas) where the business will most likely give to those schools than one in "no man's land" in between. UTSA and Texas have much more appeal from a business standpoint, especially in terms of how many people they reach out to.

A) There is no flagship in the TSUS - so stop with posting "smack" on FCS Discussion. Sure the Mods will eat you up for that.

B) UTSA will have better facilities if they get all they are seeking plus are further along academically than the San Marcos based school.

C) UTSA will also help the SBC or any conference with bowl affiliation - have a hard time believing the Alamo Bowl will want to ignore UTSA's conference. What draw does a team in San Marcos have as far as bowls? What's hurting the SBC right now? BOWL AFFILIATION!

TT, have you ever been to UTSA/SA? Do you have any idea of what you're talking about? UTSA is seen as a small step above community college. They accept 98% of their applicants, have no school pride, no traditions, and San Antonio has no patience for anything except top level football (BCS, NFL).

They are playing in a dome, have you ever been to a FCS game in a dome? Have you seen Texas States master plan for athletic facilities? UTSA hasn't even secured funds for these mystical facilities they have to build from scratch, Texas State is already under construction. Your jelousy of Texas State is astounding!

MplsBison
March 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Jealous? More like hate.

He can't stand that fact that TSU has stolen away SHSU's thunder and is the gem of the TSUS system.

Shockerman
March 9th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wait a minute, now I am confused. I thought Texas State was the flagship of the TSU system and that was part of why they were moving up to FBS. xconfusedx

txphi592
March 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Wait a minute, now I am confused. I thought Texas State was the flagship of the TSU system and that was part of why they were moving up to FBS. xconfusedx

It pretty much is, maybe not "official", this just kills TT.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM
TT, have you ever...

That's all I needed to read. xlolx

3rd Coast Tiger
March 9th, 2009, 03:47 PM
.... this just kills TT.

Well, this too. xlolx

MplsBison
March 9th, 2009, 03:58 PM

That's correct.

Syntax Error
March 9th, 2009, 04:25 PM

No smack towards TXST but define how you discerned that are a flagship? Football supremacy, no. academically, no. I don't get it. xconfusedx

MplsBison
March 9th, 2009, 04:33 PM
No smack towards TXST but define how you discerned that are a flagship? Football supremacy, no. academically, no. I don't get it. xconfusedx

Precedent in the state of Texas.

University of Texas system - UT flagship
Texas A&M University system - TAMU flagship

Texas State University system - TSU flagship

All named after their respective flagships.

Now if it were named something like "Eastern Texas University System", you might have a point.

Shockerman
March 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Got to admit that I was just trying to pile it on poor Texas Terror. Just bustin your balls TT...you know we love SHSU! At least you have a football program.

Shockerman
March 9th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Precedent in the state of Texas.

University of Texas system - UT flagship
Texas A&M University system - TAMU flagship

Texas State University system - TSU flagship

All named after their respective flagships.

Now if it were named something like "Eastern Texas University System", you might have a point.

You forgot Texas Tech as it is now the head of its own flagship. But seriously, MB has a point that an outsider would assume Texas State would be the head because of the name as it makes logical sense.

Retro
March 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM
The term flagship is really irrelevent when speaking of athletics.. It means nothing to your success on the field or off or in the view of football fans...

At this point, if it really mattered, Txst would be the logical choice for the SBC..

That being said, no one knows what the college football landscape will look like in 3 years with many schools trying to stretch athletic dollars in these tough times and the likelyhood that many schools will stay put until they can see what happens with the american economy..

Right now, UTSA has to get going and coker will get them some attention at first, but he won't stick around long enough to see them in the FBS if it comes to that, nor will the school likely be there anytime soon.. They have too many issues to work out and just because they are in san antonio, doesn't mean they will have instant crowds at games and lots of cash rolling in every year.xrolleyesx

txphi592
March 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Just curious, what other school in the system do you consider better academically?