Syntax Error
February 4th, 2009, 04:11 AM
Good school.

Good sports program.

Good fanbase.

What's the deal?

DFW HOYA
February 4th, 2009, 05:07 AM
Moved up from D-II before a conference deal could be arranged.

Tealblood
February 4th, 2009, 06:05 AM
the Big South ought to take em

WileECoyote06
February 4th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Moved up from D-II before a conference deal could be arranged.

We started the process because of a wink-wink deal. Then WSSU jumped the gun on us.

Our most natural fit is in the MEAC (I mean damn the conference was founded on our campus); but the apparently they cannot get their revenue model or scheduling model right. We are caught in a power struggle between the northern schools and the southern schools.

Right now our fans are restless and numb. I personally say screw the MEAC and that we should join the Big South for football, and the Atlantic Sun for all other sports (I get the impression that we are only wanted for football). All we would have to do is pour more money into our club soccer teams.

HIU 93
February 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM
We started the process because of a wink-wink deal. Then WSSU jumped the gun on us.

Our most natural fit is in the MEAC (I mean damn the conference was founded on our campus); but the apparently they cannot get their revenue model or scheduling model right. We are caught in a power struggle between the northern schools and the southern schools.

Right now our fans are restless and numb. I personally say screw the MEAC and that we should join the Big South for football, and the Atlantic Sun for all other sports (I get the impression that we are not wanted for football). All we would have to do is pour more money into our club soccer teams.

Money from where?

appfan2008
February 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
nccu of course would fit in great with the MEAC but the Big South aint bad either...

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Well, since its not looking like WSSU may not complete the transition, you can have our warm seat...

WileECoyote06
February 4th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Money from where?

Hell, as murderous as our basketball schedule was, we ought to have plenty. Other than that, solicit more alumni donations; especially from our former international students.

WestCoastAggie
February 4th, 2009, 09:07 AM
It isn't guaranteed that NCCU will be granted admittance into the MEAC. If I was their AD, I would put pressure on the MEAC by talking to the Big South.

The MEAC is banking on them, as well as A&T and WSSU to bring fans to the MEAC Tourney that is in Winston-Salem, NC for the next few years.

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM
*still ticked at paying the MEAC 25K for their crappy tournament*

ASUMountaineer
February 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Well, since its not looking like WSSU may not complete the transition, you can have our warm seat...

Beat me to it. I read that yesterday. Bad news, hopefully it can get settled. I would like to see a HBC go to a conference that is not HBC. I think it would be good for other conferences to have HBCs. Not to mention the attention from a whole other group of people that are not as familiar with HBCs. So, if NCCU cannot work it out with the MEAC, I hope they would find the Big South as a viable option. That's my xtwocentsx

Libertine
February 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
The Big South is rated higher than the MEAC in football, basketball and baseball. Just throwing that into the discussion.

gr8ness97
February 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Beat me to it. I read that yesterday. Bad news, hopefully it can get settled. I would like to see a HBC go to a conference that is not HBC. I think it would be good for other conferences to have HBCs. Not to mention the attention from a whole other group of people that are not as familiar with HBCs. So, if NCCU cannot work it out with the MEAC, I hope they would find the Big South as a viable option. That's my xtwocentsx

The problem would be attendence for games. HBCU's dont have alot of rivalries outside of each other...

WileECoyote06
February 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
The problem would be attendence for games. HBCU's dont have alot of rivalries outside of each other...

That isn't a real consideration for NCCU. Our fanbase travels well, as long as we can get tickets. As long as we can keep our traditional rivals on the schedule (WSSU/A & T); we can play Jim Johnson's Junior College for all I care.

STLAGGIE
February 4th, 2009, 07:13 PM
The MEAC is not ready (poor leadership and management) for any additional expansion. NCCU should continue to negotiate with the Big South, even if its for football membership only. The Big South's footprint fits NCCU well, and I am sure NCCU will be able to maintain their rivalries with NC A&T and WSSU. Joining the Big South may also give the NCCU more visibility xsmiley_wix

kirkblitz
February 4th, 2009, 09:43 PM
is there any proof nccu is talking with the big south?