PDA

View Full Version : CSN So South: Despite Early Exits from Playoffs, SoCon Showed Competitive Spirit

CSN-info
February 3rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNSOSOUTH.JPG
By Myron Hosea, CSN So South Columnist
At the midpoint of the 2008 football season, the Southern Conference appeared poised to push for greater representation in the FCS playoffs. The conference had as many as six teams in the national 25 for several weeks, three teams spent time in the Top 10, and at least four teams looked good for playoff berths.

When the playoffs arrived, though, only two teams — Appalachian State and Wofford — punched playoff ducats. Neither made it past the second round. Three SoCon programs — the two just mentioned and Elon — made the final Top 25. Still, the league had much to be proud of and demonstrated once again that it’s a competitive league within and without.Read more » http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php/2009/02/03/csn-so-south-despite-early-exits-from-pl?blog=5

JMU Newbill
February 4th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Good season SoCon. Looking forward to another competitive year. Let the CAA vs. SoCon arguments begin (do they ever actually end?)

PaladinFan
February 4th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Good season SoCon. Looking forward to another competitive year. Let the CAA vs. SoCon arguments begin (do they ever actually end?)

Who do we have next year interconference? I know Furman heads up to play the Big 10's JV team...I mean, Delaware. Anyone else?

introvertedGSUfan
February 4th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I really can't wait to see if GSU and the rest of the SoCon are going to be able to compete for the conference championship.

Syntax Error
February 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I don't think anyone counts the SoCon out, with rare exceptions, the road to the title game goes through the SoCon.

ericsaid
February 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I don't think anyone counts the SoCon out, with rare exceptions, the road to the title game goes through the SoCon.

Lately its been going through the CAA. And i'm an App poster, so don't take offense but it is the truth.

Syntax Error
February 5th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Lately its been going through the CAA. And i'm an App poster, so don't take offense but it is the truth.Yes, this year a Socon team was not in the semis.

blueballs
February 5th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Yes, this year a Socon team was not in the semis.

...for the first time in a long, long, long time- I'd guess 1997 to be the last time.

The SoCon has won 5 out of the last 10 championships and has been represented in the title game 7 out of the last 10 years.

Syntax Error
February 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
years a SoCon team was not in the semis: '78-'82, '84, '97, '04, '08 (9 out of 31 years)

ElSissy
February 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I really can't wait to see if GSU and the rest of the SoCon are going to be able to compete for the conference championship.

It's almost certain that at least one SoCon team will win the SoCon championship.