PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern lands sleeper receiver

Footix
February 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
http://thesunnews.typepad.com/preptalk/2009/02/myrtle-beach-foursome-including-valentine-make-college-pledges.html

mrklean
February 1st, 2009, 03:11 PM
I hope he can get in. Its good to see we are adding to our depth.

nms1987
February 1st, 2009, 03:48 PM
I wonder how that one kid found a JUCO all the way out in CA to play for.

introvertedGSUfan
February 1st, 2009, 05:41 PM
Wow with his size, he may see immediate playing time with three of our WRs graduating this past year (assuming he does well in the Spring and Summer Camps).

GaSouthern
February 1st, 2009, 06:34 PM
He will be a good player on the otherside of the ball to our hyped 4-Star D-back.

Appstate29
February 1st, 2009, 07:24 PM
just shows how stats get skewed on rivals. They have him running a 4.4 while that article says he ran high 4.5s.

PaladinFan
February 1st, 2009, 07:35 PM
You Eagle fans think you're too good to post you recruits to the thread about recruiting? :)

introvertedGSUfan
February 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
You Eagle fans think you're too good to post you recruits to the thread about recruiting? :)

It gives us solace in the fact that we haven't even made it to the playoffs the past three years. xlolx

straightshooter
February 1st, 2009, 09:31 PM
Nice three star pickup for the Eagles. With 31 TD's in '08, this kid knows how to find the end zone. It came down to GSU and App State.

Mr. Valentine made the right choice...

kirkblitz
February 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
i watched him in person a few times this year, a great pickup that our local CCU team neglected to target very highly even though he lives 10 minutes away from campus xrolleyesx

mrklean
February 1st, 2009, 09:40 PM
Nice three star pickup for the Eagles. With 31 TD's in '08, this kid knows how to find the end zone. It came down to GSU and App State.

Mr. Valentine made the right choice...

He will love the BORO!!

AppMan
February 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Valentine visited ASU on one of the coldest weekends in recent years and that was after canceling a visit the prior week because his Dad was fearful of some bad weather rolling into the high country. Just wasn't ment to be. The funny thing is the Apps received a commitment from another 2 star reciever on that same cold weekend and he is from Naples, Florida. You just never know how kids will react.

GATA
February 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
Valentine visited ASU on one of the coldest weekends in recent years and that was after canceling a visit the prior week because his Dad was fearful of some bad weather rolling into the high country. Just wasn't ment to be. The funny thing is the Apps received a commitment from another 2 star reciever on that same cold weekend and he is from Naples, Florida. You just never know how kids will react.

Good point..

Plus, with the receiving corp that App State has (especially Brian Quick)...it wouldn't be fair for you guys to get this kid too ;)

straightshooter
February 1st, 2009, 09:53 PM
Frankly either school would have been a good choice for him. It pains me to say that. I graduated from GSU b.e. (before Erk).

Chances are it came down to the fact that he's got the Hatch Attack and 40+ passes a game to look forward to. He's being recruited as a slot receiver, and Hatcher loves to feature that position. He'll get lots of touches.

AppMan
February 1st, 2009, 09:54 PM
Good point..

Plus, with the receiving corp that App State has (especially Brian Quick)...it wouldn't be fair for you guys to get this kid too ;)

I was kinda looking forward to seeing a 6-5 Quick on one side and a 6-4 Valentine on the other sprinting downfield with AE tossing the ball to them. :>)

ASU_MBA
February 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Bennett and the boys at CCU fell asleep on the wheel with this one....

PaladinFan
February 2nd, 2009, 10:00 AM
Interesting App has gone up against other SoCon teams this year and lost on some pretty highly prized recruits.

Gotta bring em up there before the snows set in.

introvertedGSUfan
February 2nd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I know I'm a homer, but I think Hatcher is probably the best recruiter in the SoCon right now.

Kill'em
February 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
With the loss of three really good receivers, including Raja Andrews, this is a huge pickup for us. It's also interesting the article said he has been effective as a short-yardage back. We haven't had that for a couple of years.

However, Mr Hoke called our offense the "fun-and-gun?" We aren't coached by Steve Spurrier. xoopsx:p

citdog
February 2nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
I hope he can get in.

does he have a pulse? as we all know that's about all it takes to be an iggle from pigs ass, ga

PaladinFan
February 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I know I'm a homer, but I think Hatcher is probably the best recruiter in the SoCon right now.

Don't know if I'd go that far. You have some well entrenched coaches who have brought in a lot of talent.

GSU's recruits need to prove they can actually play and stay in school. We'll re-evaluate that comment in 2 or 3 years.

srgrizizen
February 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think narcolepsy should be any kind of major hurdle if this guy can actually play when he's awake.xlolxxlolx

Baldy
February 2nd, 2009, 05:10 PM
Don't know if I'd go that far. You have some well entrenched coaches who have brought in a lot of talent.

GSU's recruits need to prove they can actually play and stay in school. We'll re-evaluate that comment in 2 or 3 years.

True, but considering GSU led the SoCon with 7 players who made the All-Freshman team, it is a good indication that Hatcher has got to be one of, if not the best recruiter in the conference.

(However I won't mention the fact that there were 2 players who would have been shoe-ins for the All-Freshman team if they would have acted appropriately instead of getting dismissed midway through the season. xoopsx )

Reign of Terrier
February 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
True, but considering GSU led the SoCon with 7 players who made the All-Freshman team, it is a good indication that Hatcher has got to be one of, if not the best recruiter in the conference.

(However I won't mention the fact that there were 2 players who would have been shoe-ins for the All-Freshman team if they would have acted appropriately instead of getting dismissed midway through the season. xoopsx )

I see your point but honestly I could care less about the All freshman team (The reason being--Wofford had 6 or 7 defensive players who should have been honored somehow but we only got 1 player overall. I mean come on! the LB, Niam, we had was 3rd on the team in tackles; the DL had about 5 or 6 sacks between the three of them; the cornerback started the whole season; not to mention the Redshirt Freshman QB who sliced and diced who ever we played when running the ball) rant over

I'm not meaning to hijack the thread (I have some sour grapes) but GSU played a lot of Freshman last year who got more minutes.

Hatcher is still a good recruiter-that 4 star player speaks for itself (even though on signing day he'll be 2 stars tops)

The thing with recruiting is that, this year, teams like App state and GSU have gone for quality players as oppose to quantity. Teams like Wofford and Furman have gone for a little quantity and quality. And Western obviously has gone for A LOT of quantity and Quality.

The thing is we can never tell until we see what happens down the road in 2-3 years.

Kill'em
February 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
does he have a pulse? as we all know that's about all it takes to be an iggle from pigs ass, ga

xlmaox

ngineer
February 2nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Re: Thread Title---That is amazing. How does he do it?;):Dxrotatehx

seantaylor
February 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hatcher is easily the best recruiter in the conference. Now, whether he can coach anywhere near the level he can recruit is up to debate.

AppMan
February 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Interesting App has gone up against other SoCon teams this year and lost on some pretty highly prized recruits.

Gotta bring em up there before the snows set in.

I know of only three players we lost to other SoCon schools. Valentine and Martin to GSU and Dozier to Furman. Valentine is from Myrtle Beach and Martin from Daytona Beach. Both were explicit in their dislike for cold weather and staying close to home. Dozier wants to pursue a engineering degree and FU's agreement with Clemson sealed the deal. ASU has no such agreement with anyone. We did lose a O-linman to Liberty, but the kid has a deep faith and wanted to be in that special environment. I can take missing out on kids for those reasons. Our staff needs to do a better job of researching these kids before spending so much time and effort on them. Failing to sign any O-linemen would be a huge disapointment for a staff which publicly stated they wanted to sign three in this class. Only one O-line recruit in the past two classes. Not a good trend. On the positive side it appears we will bring in a boat load of talented and fast WR's, DB's, QB's, and athletes.

GATA
February 3rd, 2009, 12:09 AM

I tend to think that it has more to do with the fact that the overall talent level on our team is SO bad right now that we actually had to play about 84 freshmen. I'm guessing that no other team in the SOCON was in such bad shape that they actually had to play that many freshmen in the first place...hence GSU puts a bunch of guys on the all-freshmen team by default. Half of those guys will never be all-conference players. I keep telling people GSU doesn't have much talent. hatcher is trying his best to actually get us some.

introvertedGSUfan
February 3rd, 2009, 12:20 AM
I tend to think that it has more to do with the fact that the overall talent level on our team is SO bad right now that we actually had to play about 84 freshmen. I'm guessing that no other team in the SOCON was in such bad shape that they actually had to play that many freshmen in the first place...hence GSU puts a bunch of guys on the all-freshmen team by default. Half of those guys will never be all-conference players. I keep telling people GSU doesn't have much talent. hatcher is trying his best to actually get us some.

Wow, either that post was laced with loads of sarcasm, or I completely disagree with you. Guys like Adam Urbano, Leander Barney, J.B. Shippy, Charlie Edwards, and Adrian Mora definitely have the potential to make All SoCon by the time they graduate.

Edit: Here's a nice free highlight video of Valentine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4BnF0qZ0PU

eaglewithabus
February 3rd, 2009, 07:29 AM
pretty impressive...he seems to catch the fade route well. Who is that qb? Anyone know if he has gotten any attention? Seemed like he had a pretty good arm.

Kill'em
February 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
pretty impressive...he seems to catch the fade route well. Who is that qb? Anyone know if he has gotten any attention? Seemed like he had a pretty good arm.

I was thinking the same thing. Their QB impressed me with his throwing and his mobility.

Back to Valentine. He has serious skills: great in the open field, good hands, takes hits well, tough to bring down and a serious height advantage. All I saw lacking was speed. He would thrive in Hatcher's short passing game. His moves in the open field would make him a weapon on a screen pass.

I'd take both of these guys.

blueballs
February 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Their QB impressed me with his throwing and his mobility.

Back to Valentine. He has serious skills: great in the open field, good hands, takes hits well, tough to bring down and a serious height advantage. All I saw lacking was speed. He would thrive in Hatcher's short passing game. His moves in the open field would make him a weapon on a screen pass.

I'd take both of these guys.

He also looks like he could be a force in the red zone, which was a serious weakness for GSU last year.

Footix
February 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM
The quarterback is sophomore Everett Golson. He's one of the top sophomores in the country. He's got a number of FBS offers already and is a really good point guard. Golson and Valentine teamed to win the state basketball championship last March and they won the state title in football last fall.

Kill'em
February 3rd, 2009, 11:44 AM
He also looks like he could be a force in the red zone, which was a serious weakness for GSU last year.

Imagine a lobbed pass in the endzone... he would be hard to stop.