PDA

View Full Version : Updated KBS Construction Pictures

AppMan
January 30th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Was in Boone this past week. Weather was kind of nasty, but things are progressing along rather nicely. Notice the black coaching boxes have been removed from the West Stands.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34984650@N08/?saved=1

henfan
January 30th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Looks terrific! Thanks for sharing... and congrats on the upgrades.xthumbsupx

Lulu
January 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Was in Boone this past week. Weather was kind of nasty, but things are progressing along rather nicely. Notice the black coaching boxes have been removed from the West Stands.

Thanks AppManxthumbsupx

AppStateold299
January 30th, 2009, 11:21 PM
The pictures are great. I can't wait to go up next weekend and see it for myself. Thanks for the update

kirkblitz
January 31st, 2009, 01:13 AM
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/804/3239613675f99bee335dvj8.jpg

Get rid of that stupid track and put some bleachers in the endzone please. i did a 10 second mock up in paint for your inspiration. btw i loved my 1 trip there when my team got owned xlolx

mountaineer_dax
January 31st, 2009, 09:54 AM

Get rid of that stupid track and put some bleachers in the endzone please. i did a 10 second mock up in paint for your inspiration. btw i loved my 1 trip there when my team got owned xlolx

If they ever add new seating to this stadium i think they build it around and over the field house instead of on the lawn.

proasu89
January 31st, 2009, 12:54 PM

I believe AppMan is 100% in the "get rid of the track camp". For the record, I am too.xthumbsupx

SideLine Shooter
January 31st, 2009, 01:13 PM
I believe AppMan is 100% in the "get rid of the track camp". For the record, I am too.xthumbsupx

KEEP THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

yosef1969
January 31st, 2009, 01:21 PM
KEEP THE TRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious, Why?

I would love to see the track taken out and the field sank, adding even more seats on both existing sides. If additional seats beyond that are ever needed, horseshoe in the fieldhouse end of the field no need to mess with the grass bank any time soon.

kirkblitz
January 31st, 2009, 03:56 PM
bowl that thing in and sink it like a roman arena if i knew how to mak a bowl in paint i would have lol

SideLine Shooter
January 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
Curious, Why?

I would love to see the track taken out and the field sank, adding even more seats on both existing sides. If additional seats beyond that are ever needed, horseshoe in the fieldhouse end of the field no need to mess with the grass bank any time soon.

So there is room to move around on the sidelines, so the teams have room, so the band can get on and off the field, so the Cheerleaders have room to lead cheers, so the TV crews are not climbing over your back EVERY minute, so all the BIG donors have room to stand on the sidelines, so YOSEF has room to ride his scooter, so YOSEF can Shoot his black powder gun, so we can have a tv camera at field level, so players don't get tackled on the benches, just for the good look that it has.xnodxxnodx

Thundering_Herd
February 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM
Endzone seating sucks! Plus, it's a scenic area. Keep some of the stadium 'open' to the views.
I'm with Sideline Shooter on the track issue. He makes good points and I think that by lowering the field and adding more seats doesn't amount to squat as far as extra seating.

PS- looks great! Along with your program's recent successes, should be a great recruiting tool!

AppMan
February 1st, 2009, 11:06 AM
So there is room to move around on the sidelines, so the teams have room, so the band can get on and off the field, so the Cheerleaders have room to lead cheers, so the TV crews are not climbing over your back EVERY minute, so all the BIG donors have room to stand on the sidelines, so YOSEF has room to ride his scooter, so YOSEF can Shoot his black powder gun, so we can have a tv camera at field level, so players don't get tackled on the benches, just for the good look that it has.xnodxxnodx

I have a hard time understanding how anyone could advocate keeping the track. Think about your tag line. How smart is it to keep that track and have fans so far away from the action on in the endzones? Get rid of the track, put about 5,000 seats in the North (Owens Fieldhouse) endzone and create a new bank in the South endzone much closer to the field. Use the added space behind the new South bank for a concessions plaza. KBS could then easily accomodate 35,000 fans and 28,000 would actually have seats and not have to sit in mud on cold, rainy days. It's all about fan comfort and convience. Not everyone is 20 years old stands the entire game.

FargoBison
February 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Endzone seating sucks! Plus, it's a scenic area. Keep some of the stadium 'open' to the views.
I'm with Sideline Shooter on the track issue. He makes good points and I think that by lowering the field and adding more seats doesn't amount to squat as far as extra seating.

PS- looks great! Along with your program's recent successes, should be a great recruiting tool!

I love endzone seats, one the best areas to sit in the Fargodome is the south endzone.

AppMan
February 1st, 2009, 01:34 PM
Added a few more pics from yesterday.

slycat
February 1st, 2009, 01:44 PM
The press/luxury boxes are ridiculous. How are they selling?

Very impressive upgrades. Hope y'all add more seats. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Franks Tanks
February 1st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have a hard time understanding how anyone could advocate keeping the track. Think about your tag line. How smart is it to keep that track and have fans so far away from the action on in the endzones? Get rid of the track, put about 5,000 seats in the North (Owens Fieldhouse) endzone and create a new bank in the South endzone much closer to the field. Use the added space behind the new South bank for a concessions plaza. KBS could then easily accomodate 35,000 fans and 28,000 would actually have seats and not have to sit in mud on cold, rainy days. It's all about fan comfort and convience. Not everyone is 20 years old stands the entire game.

I agree 100%. Lafayette Fisher Field used to have a track aroud the field and I thought nothing of it. When the stadium was rennovated the track was ripped out and the field moved much closer to the stands. The away stands were removed and replaced and are also close to the filed. Now the sight lines have been improved drastically and you as much closer to the action. You can follow the lead of places like Ohi Stadium where the filed was owered and seating added down low. We know you guys can still use more seats even with the expansion.

AppMan
February 1st, 2009, 09:50 PM
The press/luxury boxes are ridiculous. How are they selling?

Very impressive upgrades. Hope y'all add more seats. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Twenty suites in the new building, eighteen are for sale the other two are for university use. They are going for a five year lease at $25,000 per season. I believe 12 have been sold at this point.

paward
February 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM
There are a lot of if's in this post, however if we make the playoffs next year (Richmond) and have to travel to KBS I will be happy to be there. It would be nice to see the entire building sequence. We were there during the initial stages. Our last visit saw more stability and sense of where it is headed. I feel upon completion it will be the premier stadium for an FCS team. It is always nice being at the rock. The ride up from the Atlanta area is breath taking. The walk up to the stadium is itimidating. Nice pictures!

Touchdown Yosef
February 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
There are a lot of if's in this post, however if we make the playoffs next year (Richmond) and have to travel to KBS I will be happy to be there. It would be nice to see the entire building sequence. We were there during the initial stages. Our last visit saw more stability and sense of where it is headed. I feel upon completion it will be the premier stadium for an FCS team. It is always nice being at the rock. The ride up from the Atlanta area is breath taking. The walk up to the stadium is itimidating. Nice pictures!

Some kind words... I still think that Montana is probably the premiere FCS stadium but I love how ours is shaping up. The boxes will be first class and are very impressive in person. In a few more years the field turf is going to be football only and I think that will help. One more $50 million upgrade and we will be set for years and years and years.

kirkblitz
February 2nd, 2009, 11:45 PM
how did you get up there to the boxs? they just let people walk around?

KiddBrewer
February 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Ok, take out the track.

so.....who's paying the bill to relocate it?

Appinator
February 3rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
Ok, take out the track.

Ya'll take checks? I'll pay for the whole thing right now!

SoCon48
February 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
The seats gained by removing the track are crap seats anyway. I sat at several games over the years on the bottom rows. All you see are butts..and I don't care for that. We have much more needed ways to spend money than worrying about getting rid of the track and building another in Perkinsville.
Lower the field would be astronomical and such a waste just because some people think a track looks high schoolish.

SoCon48
February 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM

I have several times in the past few months. Walked all around the workers. Gave one a pack of cheese crackers. You just have to look like you're supposed to be there. A tie and leather jacket works wonders.
I did the same thing when they built BobCat arena. Told one guy I was with an insurance company. Wasn't lying...just wasn't with any company related to the facility. xlolx

kirkblitz
February 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM
^ lol

thats true about looking like you belong. I was at a gamecock football game and i walked right into a suite and watched the game there .they never checked my card or anything, they just thought i owned the suite. lol best time ever =D

AppMan
February 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM

Don't ask and no they don't.

AppMan
February 3rd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Ok, take out the track.

Considering we have to build a Field Hockey facility why not move across the New River from the new Soccer stadium and put in a first class track / FH stadium. IMO, the track program deserves a first facility and one they do not have to share with 3 other sports. The fact of the matter is a lack of flat land close to campus demands we look elsewhere to build these facilities. I wish it wasn't so, but that's the way it is. We have a good start on a complex similar to the one C of C has at Patriot's Point and one that could be a big asset to the programs.

ASU
February 3rd, 2009, 05:40 PM
I heard that plans were to put a 3d Tier on the East (State) side.....and that was why they left those two cut outs in the 2nd Tier.....would be great if they built another 7 story 125,000 square foot of club seats, classrooms, offices, and/or dormitories on the East side after putting a huge 3d Tier of seats there. We might be able to get up to 40,000 seats with no end zone seats, except for the grass that could seat or stand another 12,000.

52,000 thousand in there with no end zone seats...............after that............. then work on the non-scoreboard side with end zone seats.

AppMan
February 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
I heard that plans were to put a 3d Tier on the East (State) side.....and that was why they left those two cut outs in the 2nd Tier.....would be great if they built another 7 story 125,000 square foot of club seats, classrooms, offices, and/or dormitories on the East side after putting a huge 3d Tier of seats there. We might be able to get up to 40,000 seats with no end zone seats, except for the grass that could seat or stand another 12,000.

52,000 thousand in there with no end zone seats...............after that............. then work on the non-scoreboard side with end zone seats.

I believe you have been given some bad information.

appfan2008
February 4th, 2009, 07:57 AM

somebody is going cookoo

WUTNDITWAA
February 4th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Why did they leave those two cutouts on the ends of the grandstands?

jonmac
February 4th, 2009, 10:33 AM

So what happens to Stadium drive during all this?

ASUMountaineer
February 4th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I would support relocating the track (and other sports at KBS). I think the problem is where and money.

I definitely like the idea of sinking the field and moving the stands closer, but not as close as some stadiums...allow some room. I hope they never build up the North endzone in a way that blocks the view of campus and Howard's Knob.

Aesthetically, the track is an eyesore, but unless they have a place to move it and the funds, I am ok with it being there. My biggest complaint is no block A at midfield and the lines from soccer. Once that is handled, I could deal with the track.

Touchdown Yosef
February 4th, 2009, 10:42 AM
I would support relocating the track (and other sports at KBS). I think the problem is where and money.

I definitely like the idea of sinking the field and moving the stands closer, but not as close as some stadiums...allow some room. I hope they never build up the North endzone in a way that blocks the view of campus and Howard's Knob.

Aesthetically, the track is an eyesore, but unless they have a place to move it and the funds, I am ok with it being there. My biggest complaint is no block A at midfield and the lines from soccer. Once that is handled, I could deal with the track.

That will be fixed when the field turf is up for replacement in a few years. It will be football only at that point.

Touchdown Yosef
February 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
anyone going to the signing day reception tonight?

ASUMountaineer
February 4th, 2009, 10:43 AM
That will be fixed when the field turf is up for replacement in a few years. It will be football only at that point.

I had heard that, but wasn't sure it was settled. Thanks, good to hear.

Skjellyfetti
February 4th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I hope they never build up the North endzone in a way that blocks the view of campus and Howard's Knob.

Good call. xthumbsupx

SoCon48
February 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Those new seats should all be free because they are worthless.

SoCon48
February 8th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Good call. xthumbsupx

Ditto!

Touchdown Yosef
February 8th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Those new seats should all be free because they are worthless.

The second tier on the east side? I walked up there during a game and they seemed to have a good view to me. From what I could tell the best seats in the house were the ones on the very first row of the second level.

SoCon48
February 8th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The second tier on the east side? I walked up there during a game and they seemed to have a good view to me. From what I could tell the best seats in the house were the ones on the very first row of the second level.

I was talking about the new ones being thrown out on here at the bottom of the stands..where the track now is.

appstate38
February 9th, 2009, 06:18 AM
With the locker room moving, how will the Apps take the field next year???? Anybody know, have a guess, anything???

AppIAA
February 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
With the locker room moving, how will the Apps take the field next year???? Anybody know, have a guess, anything???

I have heard a rumor there is going to be a tunnel from the locker rooms that comes out from the hill..

Not sure how true this is, but that would be an awesome entrance if it is true!

Dignan
February 9th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I'm curious. When did ASU start all their stadium expansion? When I was in JMU's band we played you guys in the playoffs and I seem to remember that one of the sides of the stadium was being completely rebuilt and at the time was unusable. I think this was in '96, so my memory's pretty untrustworthy.

Appfan_in_CAAland
February 9th, 2009, 11:24 AM
I'm curious. When did ASU start all their stadium expansion? When I was in JMU's band we played you guys in the playoffs and I seem to remember that one of the sides of the stadium was being completely rebuilt and at the time was unusable. I think this was in '96, so my memory's pretty untrustworthy.

With the widening of US 421, the arrival Peacock and Cobb, the three championships, the defeat of Michigan, and the soon to be announced move to FBS.

Skjellyfetti
February 9th, 2009, 11:29 AM

I'm almost positive I remember seeing pictures of a tunnel from the West stands to the field house that went under the walkway to the West stands. I've been browsing old KBS construction pictures to see if I could find a picture... but haven't found one. I could just be inventing it because the pictures were from almost a year ago.

WUTNDITWAA
February 9th, 2009, 11:32 AM

The 1995 "expansion" was just a reconstruction of the stands that were already there. In fact, the construction resulted in a reduction of about 1,500 seats. What's going on now is a totally different thing. In more ways than one.

AppMan
February 10th, 2009, 05:34 PM

After 18 years I gave up my seats on the 50 in section 3A, row PP, to move to the new deck. Our family wree the only ones to sit in those seats since the stadium was expanded in 1979. BTW, those 50 yard line seats in the 1st row of the new East Deck you are talking about. I'm sitting in 'em. Undoubtably the best seats in the house!

AppMan
February 10th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I have heard a rumor there is going to be a tunnel from the locker rooms that comes out from the hill..

Not sure how true this is, but that would be an awesome entrance if it is true!

The tunnel idea was too coatly, The team will come down the hill beside the West stands on the bank end and probably out by the goalpost.

SoCon48
February 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM
The tunnel idea was too coatly, The team will come down the hill beside the West stands on the bank end and probably out by the goalpost.

Gotta come in somewhere. Guess it will do until they can figure out something better.

AppMan
February 11th, 2009, 05:25 AM
The 1995 "expansion" was just a reconstruction of the stands that were already there. In fact, the construction resulted in a reduction of about 1,500 seats. What's going on now is a totally different thing. In more ways than one.

Ahhhhh.... the great Stadium Renovation & Reduction Project of 1995. One of Roachel Laney's finest projects. The two lower level sections had to be replaced after the state condemmed them due to crumbling foundations. It took almost two years to complete the work and seats were lost due to new codes. They never even considered adding more seats to the East stands to make up the difference. However, the university did spend nearly $100,000 to replace the "visitor's box" on the east side. Why? "Because it was there on the original plans." I kid you not, that was an actual quote from Laney. Really stupid move considering it was seldom ever used, didn't have doors or windows, and was eventually torn down during the recent expansion of the East Stands. Huge waste of money.

Dignan
February 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Gotcha. Must have been in '95 that I was there then. Couldn't remember for sure other than it definitely wasn't '94 because we went to Marshall that year.

SoCon48
February 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Ahhhhh.... the great Stadium Renovation & Reduction Project of 1995. One of Roachel Laney's finest projects. The two lower level sections had to be replaced after the state condemmed them due to crumbling foundations. It took almost two years to complete the work and seats were lost due to new codes. They never even considered adding more seats to the East stands to make up the difference. However, the university did spend nearly $100,000 to replace the "visitor's box" on the east side. Why? "Because it was there on the original plans." I kid you not, that was an actual quote from Laney. Really stupid move considering it was seldom ever used, didn't have doors or windows, and was eventually torn down during the recent expansion of the East Stands. Huge waste of money.

Regardless of the Laney obssesion, a visitor's box is common courtesy? Who cares about a Laney decision nearly 15 years later? Give it a rest. Never even think about the dude until you bring him up. To me, he's a dirty laundry and best aired on an App board.
There was always someone in that box every game i can remember. Don't give a rip who it was.

Right now, it looks like we need to downsize the Holmes Center.

neersnbeers
February 11th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Was in boone the other day and it's amazing at what you see as you drive down Rivers St.! HUGE

galen
February 11th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Great pics of the finished stands and pressbox, but by Fate, is there EVER a day in Boone when it isn't gray and dreary?

AtlantaMountaineer
February 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Winter can be dreary in Boone, but Spring, Summer and Fall are APPsolutely beautiful.

SoCon48
February 11th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Winter can be dreary in Boone, but Spring, Summer and Fall are APPsolutely beautiful.

Yeah, it seems like I remember us having a Spring one week one of the four years I was up there.

appsfan
February 11th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm almost positive I remember seeing pictures of a tunnel from the West stands to the field house that went under the walkway to the West stands. I've been browsing old KBS construction pictures to see if I could find a picture... but haven't found one. I could just be inventing it because the pictures were from almost a year ago.

You did see pictures of a tunnel being dug and is under the walkway. The tunnel houses utilities and wasn't designed to be used by the players.

SoCon48
February 12th, 2009, 12:50 PM
After 18 years I gave up my seats on the 50 in section 3A, row PP, to move to the new deck. Our family wree the only ones to sit in those seats since the stadium was expanded in 1979. BTW, those 50 yard line seats in the 1st row of the new East Deck you are talking about. I'm sitting in 'em. Undoubtably the best seats in the house!

The post about bad seats was about ground level seating on what is now the track. Ground level viewing is why coaches have to have someone in the press box with a phone to the sidelines.

SoCon48
February 12th, 2009, 12:53 PM
You did see pictures of a tunnel being dug and is under the walkway. The tunnel houses utilities and wasn't designed to be used by the players.

Thanks for that information. I didn't recall seeing the tunnel. Glad the pluers don't use it. I'hate for the opposing players to go by the utility switches at halftime with them behind by 50. It tsakes a while for the lights to cool down and restart. ;)

Touchdown Yosef
February 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
With the widening of US 421, the arrival Peacock and Cobb, the three championships, the defeat of Michigan, and the soon to be announced move to FBS.

Unless you have definitive proof that we are moving to FBS keep the rumors to yourself. It is just as likely that we will be staying put in a place that we are welcome and thriving.

DLS
February 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM

this is funny because the guy in my office right across from mine was one of the engineers that discovered the foundation was completely unsound on that project. he mentioned it on my first day here with the firm because he saw me hanging my app gear up. he's that stereotypical old guy in the office always talking about "the way things used to be"

oh the twisted web we weave.

kirkblitz
February 14th, 2009, 01:01 AM
old people are awesome

Grizaholic17
February 14th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Cool Pics of the stadium. I wonder if the 5 new buildings going on around the UM campus will be done before your stadium gets finished. xsmiley_wix

ASU
February 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Cool Pics of the stadium. I wonder if the 5 new buildings going on around the UM campus will be done before your stadium gets finished. xsmiley_wix

I doubt that our stadium will ever be finished. It might look it some year, but hopefully it is never finished.

Skjellyfetti
May 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
These are from RankinApp on MMB:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSa2Lu-0II/AAAAAAAAIgc/a_XhqWPob7A/s640/App29.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSayjhzCFI/AAAAAAAAIgU/QSnvYXPi5XE/s640/App28.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSapBz3RuI/AAAAAAAAIgE/yxYulU8wbWw/s640/App24.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSaYd3GsmI/AAAAAAAAIfo/_Ux7Rg2UdHM/s640/App18.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSaVYLWn8I/AAAAAAAAIfk/w3eU_HWZtJg/s640/App17.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSaQPajgYI/AAAAAAAAIfc/KUs2W5sWfPA/s640/App15.jpg

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSaIBpVQyI/AAAAAAAAIfQ/lzvnIeNLg1o/s640/App12.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2Z1PXZh-5go/SgSZ_GMD5xI/AAAAAAAAIe8/WrvsZzWIkxk/s640/App08.jpg

More here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/shakesomedust/sets/72157617802143893/

DLS
May 9th, 2009, 12:17 PM
is that the richmond game playing on the jumbo? christ.

MaximumBobcat
May 9th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Very nice. That pressbox and suites looks great. I hope Texas State does the brick and iron fence look soon. Any plans on taking out the track and lowering the field? Or endzone seating or any other expansion plans?

slostang
May 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Awesome.

psc2445
May 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
aah, Spring in Boone

kirkblitz
May 12th, 2009, 06:41 PM
do they play games on the screen 24/7?

proasu89
May 12th, 2009, 09:14 PM
is that the richmond game playing on the jumbo? christ.

MOTIVATION!

Syntax Error
May 12th, 2009, 09:18 PM
where is App St, in some southern coastal state like coastal caroline? xlolx have they ever played that UD wannabe?

Appstate29
May 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
does what he just said make sense to anybody????

mountaineertider
May 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Nothing he says in an App thread does.

DLS
May 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM
careful guys, he likes to give out infractions.