PDA

View Full Version : JMU gets 2 who originally committed to Syracuse & UR

BDKJMU
January 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM
JMU Football Gets 2-Star Recruit
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=35042&CHID=3

So far JMU among JMU's 13 players to commit so far, has 2 rated 3 star, 2 rated 2 star, and 2 I-A transfers, one of whom started 7 games for Army 07' (was hurt most of last season).

Eight Legger
January 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I'll be curious to see how Scott is used in JMU's offense. We throw the ball a lot more than JMU does, so unless Scott thinks he is going to be a wideout or a featured back, I don't really understand his logic there. Unless Dudzik is a totally different player than Landers, but it didn't seem that way in the Montana game.

DTSpider
January 28th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I'll be curious to see how Scott is used in JMU's offense. We throw the ball a lot more than JMU does, so unless Scott thinks he is going to be a wideout or a featured back, I don't really understand his logic there. Unless Dudzik is a totally different player than Landers, but it didn't seem that way in the Montana game.

I've heard Scott's logic and certainly understand it. There's no need to re-hash it on these boards (you can see either the JMU or UR boards). JMU is a good school and he'll be a good fit there.

JmuSkinsfan
January 28th, 2009, 03:43 PM
We are stacked at WR. We WILL throw more. Dudzik is more in the form of Rascatti than Landers...although we all saw he could run pretty darn well (better than Rascatti but not quite Landers)...

I'd think Scott will play some RB and WR like Kerby Long did last year before getting injured.

Monarch History
January 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Sounds like the Dukes are getting themselves some nice recruits. I'm looking forward to ODU playing a full CAA schedule in 2011 and playing JMU.

GannonFan
January 28th, 2009, 04:18 PM
We are stacked at WR. We WILL throw more. Dudzik is more in the form of Rascatti than Landers...although we all saw he could run pretty darn well (better than Rascatti but not quite Landers)...

I'd think Scott will play some RB and WR like Kerby Long did last year before getting injured.

Thing is, JMU didn't really throw very much with Rascati either - still had a 75/25 slant towards running the ball. Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't see JMU changing philosophy for Dudzik when they didn't change it for Rascati.

BDKJMU
January 28th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Thing is, JMU didn't really throw very much with Rascati either - still had a 75/25 slant towards running the ball. Not that that's a bad thing, but I don't see JMU changing philosophy for Dudzik when they didn't change it for Rascati.

No, rascati was more like 70/30.

Rounded to the nearest %:
07' Landers JMU had about a 74/26 ratio (595 rush, 214 pass)
08' Landers JMU had about a 76/24 ratio (689 rush, 219 pass)

04' Rascati JMU had about a 71/29 ratio (753 rush, 314 pass)
05' Rascati JMU had about a 68/32 ratio (486 rush, 225 pass)
06' Rascati JMU had about a 68/32 ratio (493 rush, 237 pass)
http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71033

With probably JMU's best group (physical talent & experience wise) of receivers ever (listed 6'3" 215 Rockheed McCarter, listed 6'2", 220 Bosco Willliams, both of whom will be seniors next season, plus speedsters RJr 6'1" 175 Marcus Turner & 5'11" 170 Kerby Long, JMU will probably pass 30-35% of the time (assuming Dudzick is the starting QB, not the highly touted Justin Thorpe (will be a RFr next season), which isn't a done deal.

JmuSkinsfan
January 28th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but we didn't do nearly the amount of QB option draws and keepers with Rascatti. We had an offensive makeover for Landers. When Dudzik came in against Montana he ran the offense built for Landers. I'm pretty sure we'll go back to a more "balanced" attack. HOWEVER, while it's Dudzik's job to lose . . . a lot of people think Justin Thorpe (rFr next year) is just as good as if not better than Landers. We may pass more for a couple years but will probably go back to the QB option offense when Thorpe steps in...whether that is now or in 2 years.

paward
January 28th, 2009, 05:16 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

spiderman87
January 28th, 2009, 07:04 PM
I suppose Scott would rather watch the NC game in Harrisonburg on tv than actually be there.

JMU Newbill
January 29th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I suppose Scott would rather watch the NC game in Harrisonburg on tv than actually be there.

Or Scott would just rather only have to play/win one game every 2 years in Richmond.

jmufan999
January 29th, 2009, 08:50 AM
i have 2 opinions that are shared by FEW, if any, JMU fans:

1. if Dudzik is the starter, our offense will NOT be drastically different. like rodney, he is very athletic and VERY quick. he's just not as big. i could see maybe using a 2 QB system. but Mickey likes the spread option, i don't see that changing too much.
2. i could see Dae'Qwan (probably butchering the spelling) being the STARTING QB on opening day in 2010. don't say no one ever predicted it. again, might be a 2 QB system.

mcveyrl
January 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
i have 2 opinions that are shared by FEW, if any, JMU fans:

1. if Dudzik is the starter, our offense will NOT be drastically different. like rodney, he is very athletic and VERY quick. he's just not as big. i could see maybe using a 2 QB system. but Mickey likes the spread option, i don't see that changing too much.
2. i could see Dae'Qwan (probably butchering the spelling) being the STARTING QB on opening day in 2010. don't say no one ever predicted it. again, might be a 2 QB system.

Number 2 is interesting, but you'd have to have Thorpe buy completely into it. He will have waited around to get his shot (if he hasn't already started) and then to have to share it might be and issue.

JMU Newbill
January 29th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Either way.... we look like we have some potential studs at QB.

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Emphasis on the word "potential". Before you pin gold stars on these kids, keep in mind that a number of college recruits never even see the field.

mcveyrl
January 29th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Emphasis on the word "potential". Before you pin gold stars on these kids, keep in mind that a number of college recruits never even see the field.

Yea, I put very little value on stars and the like. I put much more emphasis on what the coach sees when the kids get into camp with other high level athletes.

BDKJMU
January 29th, 2009, 10:47 AM
No, rascati was more like 70/30.

Rounded to the nearest %:
07' Landers JMU had about a 74/26 ratio (595 rush, 214 pass)
08' Landers JMU had about a 76/24 ratio (689 rush, 219 pass)

04' Rascati JMU had about a 71/29 ratio (753 rush, 314 pass)
05' Rascati JMU had about a 68/32 ratio (486 rush, 225 pass)
06' Rascati JMU had about a 68/32 ratio (493 rush, 237 pass)
http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71033

With probably JMU's best group (physical talent & experience wise) of receivers ever (listed 6'3" 215 Rockheed McCarter, listed 6'2", 220 Bosco Willliams, both of whom will be seniors next season, plus speedsters RJr 6'1" 175 Marcus Turner & 5'11" 170 Kerby Long, JMU will probably pass 30-35% of the time (assuming Dudzick is the starting QB, not the highly touted Justin Thorpe (will be a RFr next season), which isn't a done deal.

Forgot to mention tightend in 6'5" 225 Mike Caussin who will be a RSr & 3rd year starter and is a pretty good receiving tightend. Plus Griff Yancey will likely be the starting tailback, and he was a receiver his 1st season at JMU before being moved to tailback for the last 2, & he's a pretty good receiver out of the back field.

gmoney55
January 29th, 2009, 11:53 AM

True...and I know Cuse's new coaching staff wanted to dump most of the previous staff's recruits anyway, so I'm not sure that one is a huge steal.

JMU Newbill
January 29th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Would you prefer I underline potential next time? Or is the fact that I used it on purpose good enough?

henfan
January 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Would you prefer I underline potential next time? Or is the fact that I used it on purpose good enough?

Yikes! Sorry, I didn't mean to offend.xpeacex

Calling a recruit a "potential stud" at this stage is as valuable as calling them a "potential bust", AFAIC. You're free to believe otherwise.

Recruiting is a complete crapshoot. These kids could very well be great additions.xthumbsupx

boozeANDammo
January 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
I just don't see Scott emerging as anything other then a WR or, as I stated from the get-go, a DB. Yes, he's fast. Very fast... though from the games I've seen him play in, he just doesn't have the presence to be a QB at this level. I can certainly see him playing a serious role in the offense, though my money is on him hitting the field early as a DB.