PDA

View Full Version : Grambling 2009 Tentative Schedule

TexasTerror
January 27th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Nick Deriso announced this. OOC games are Jackson State and Alcorn State (yep -- the mandate went out and we're still seeing this), plus FBS Oklahoma State and SLC entrant Northwestern State.

Apparently, Alcorn State may get bought out for a SWAC-MEAC matchup between Grambling and South Carolina State. That's a good option, considering it would allow Grambling a chance to really measure itself up against other schools in the FCS (which the only do against NWST).

Sept. 5: Alcorn State
Sept. 12: NORTHWESTERN STATE
Sept. 19: Jackson State
Sept. 26: Oklahoma State
Oct. 3: Prairie View (State Fair Classic)
Oct. 10: ALABAMA A&M
Oct. 17: Alabama State
Oct. 24: OPEN
Oct. 31: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE (Homecoming)
Nov. 7: Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Nov. 12: TEXAS SOUTHERN
Nov. 21: OPEN
Nov. 28: Southern (Bayou Classic)
Dec. 12: SWAC Championship Game

http://www.thederisoreport.com/2009/01/24/a-peek-at-the-2009-schedule/

R.A.
January 31st, 2009, 08:06 PM
Well there's a lot of smoke surrounding the potential Grambling/ South Carolina State game.

mikebigg
February 5th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Nick Deriso announced this. OOC games are Jackson State and Alcorn State (yep -- the mandate went out and we're still seeing this), plus FBS Oklahoma State and SLC entrant Northwestern State.

Apparently, Alcorn State may get bought out for a SWAC-MEAC matchup between Grambling and South Carolina State. That's a good option, considering it would allow Grambling a chance to really measure itself up against other schools in the FCS (which the only do against NWST).
Sept. 5: Alcorn State
Sept. 12: NORTHWESTERN STATE
Sept. 19: Jackson State
Sept. 26: Oklahoma State
Oct. 3: Prairie View (State Fair Classic)
Oct. 10: ALABAMA A&M
Oct. 17: Alabama State
Oct. 24: OPEN
Oct. 31: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE (Homecoming)
Nov. 7: Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Nov. 12: TEXAS SOUTHERN
Nov. 21: OPEN
Nov. 28: Southern (Bayou Classic)
Dec. 12: SWAC Championship Game

http://www.thederisoreport.com/2009/01/24/a-peek-at-the-2009-schedule/

This is the Discussion Board, but you manage to get your snide comments and putdowns regardless. Did you post Sam Houston's schedule and comment on their out of conference games?

It was obviously a Freudian slip, but there are other FCS games besides Northwestern.

TexasTerror
February 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
SHSU has a solid OOC schedule -- PV, WIU, NDSU and Tulsa.

And no, no other FCS games as out of the SWAC at this time. Oklahoma State is FBS. The rest are SWACs, which are not the best true measure (see previous few years) for how Grambling stacks up nationally in FCS.

SandMountainDemon
February 6th, 2009, 07:57 AM
I keep hearing that Grambling is trying to buy their way out of the September 12 game against Northwestern State.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I keep hearing that Grambling is trying to buy their way out of the September 12 game against Northwestern State.

It's a Grambling home game and a chance to beat a regional PWC at home -- wonder why they'd want to do that? Perhaps to shuffle the schedule to keep Alcorn and get that SWAC-MEAC game?

UCABEARS75
February 6th, 2009, 08:42 AM

"Buy their way out" is not so bad, UAPB simply cancels or schedules someone else for the same date.

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2009, 08:46 AM
What's this scheduling two people on the same date that you speak of? Schools with contracts on hand should know better, shouldn't they?

UCABEARS75
February 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM
What's this scheduling two people on the same date that you speak of? Schools with contracts on hand should know better, shouldn't they?

It happened a few years ago before we started the transition to D-1.

We signed a two year contract with UAPB to play in War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.

We whupped 'em the first game (in a year we were around .500 I think) and then they somehow "misread" the contract date for the next year and had another game scheduled.

Our president (now former president) did not enforce the cancellation clause.

Now several years later we sign a two year deal with them, again in WMS, with them to be the home team and to pay us a $50,000 per year guarantee. Same former president does not even require cancellation penalty this time and after one year (where they had to lose money, horrible weather, horrible attendance) they just plain ole backed out of second year.

Bottom line, our bad for horrible contract.

mikebigg
February 6th, 2009, 07:53 PM
It's a Grambling home game and a chance to beat a regional PWC at home -- wonder why they'd want to do that? Perhaps to shuffle the schedule to keep Alcorn and get that SWAC-MEAC game?

Did you give pause to think that through? xsmhx

Buy out a home game to play a road game...

TexasTerror
February 6th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Buy out a home game to play a road game...

It would not surprise me with the SWAC where "Classics" are commonplace...

Grambling needs to learn from AAMU when it comes to scheduling. They don't rely on in conference teams to fill OOC slate. They probably also have officials at hoops games against sub-Div I teams where they are likely to lose.

mikebigg
February 9th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Glad to see you're still keeping tabs on Grambling... I don't give a rat''s azz about whatever that school is you claim.