PDA

View Full Version : Could a UMass fan give me some info on Mark Whipple?

Bearvision
January 26th, 2009, 05:28 PM
I'm a huge Canes fan in addition to my alma mater, Missouri St. Miami just hired Mark Whipple to be their OC, formerly the HC at UMass (as well as a couple other FCS schools).

Can anyone tell me a little bit more about the Whiplash offense? Does he pass a large majority of the time? How does he handle RB's? Miami has 3 very highly rated RB's, including the #1 player in the country coming in, so I'm curious. Also, if he had so much success there, why did he leave? I see he hasn't ever been an OC on the NFL level, so I'm a little confused.

Thanks in advance for any info. I didn't know where else to post my question, and it does pertain to a FCS team.

Maverick
January 26th, 2009, 06:04 PM
He has been touted as a guy who passes a lot but at UMass he had running backs set rushing records as well as QBs set passing records. He is probably more balanced than a lot of people think. At Miami, I don't think he will go for it on fourth down as much as he did at UMass. He can go smash mouth as well as go over the top, he will be aggressive. Those running backs will get chances to run and catch the ball, but they will have to be able to block too. The TE might be the one who will be happiest if he can get down the field and catch the ball. If you are a Miami fan, you should look forward to having him down there with his schemes as well as with access to speed in the backfield and at the skill positions.

SideLine Shooter
January 26th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I think his dad was Mr. Whipple, The Charmin Man. Maybe, I'm not sure.

Jackman
January 26th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Whip uses everything. If Miami has a player who can contribute, he'll find a role for him. Whipple isn't one of those guys who tries to trademark a particular formation or playing style and then force his players into it. That goes against his core philosophy of keeping the defense off balance. It may also be part of why he hasn't found a better job for himself, he's not much into self-promotion. In retrospect, BC screwed up when they went with Jags instead. I think Miami fans are going to be pleased, once he's had a chance to coach up the QB.

Bearvision
January 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the responses. Jacory Harris, our QB, played a lot as a true Freshmen, including two starts, so he isn't as green as some believe. He was better than Robert Marve IMHO, and that's why Marve left (among other issues).

Still can't see why he left UMass with that much success, and I am worried he's only a two year guy, but he sounds really exciting. Can't wait to see what he is able to bring to us!

GannonFan
January 27th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Whipple is a guy who's succeeded everywhere he's been. Those New Haven teams were a pleasure to watch, and he breathed new life into UMass when he got there. Miami's going to do well with him, although I agree, I don't think he's there long term (not that that's a bad thing, either). I think he wants to be a head coach at a good FBS school.

Bearvision
January 28th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Whipple is a guy who's succeeded everywhere he's been. Those New Haven teams were a pleasure to watch, and he breathed new life into UMass when he got there. Miami's going to do well with him, although I agree, I don't think he's there long term (not that that's a bad thing, either). I think he wants to be a head coach at a good FBS school.

At his press conference, he flat out stated he wanted to be OC in the NFL, and then a HC. He won't be here long, but maybe he can have an assistant that he can teach his offense to, that can take over afterwards etc. It is really hard to continue to shuffle OC's like we have. We have had 4 OC's in 5 years.

CollegeSportsInfo
January 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Whipple was one of my favorite coaches ever at UMass. I was happy he got the Steelers gig and hoped it would lead to a head coaching job at the highest level. But it hasn't played out that way yet. Hopefully he finds success at Miami and parlays that to a head coaching job. But with the move back to college, it will likely eliminate a direct promotion to the NFL as a head coach. So if he holds that title again, it will likely be at the FBS level. If that happens, I hope it's a northeast school...that guy can recruit in the region...

dennisdent
January 29th, 2009, 06:34 PM
This article (thanks 74) really hits on what kind of coach Whipple is:

http://www.benningtonbanner.com/sports/ci_11579428

Brad82
January 29th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Great Coach.
Might be next head coach @ UM.
As story goes,wanted Rhody job when @ New Haven. They gave it to Floyd Keith. Rest is history.

Old Cage
January 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
We played a lot of high scoring games while he was our coach. His answer to a reporter's question about whether he was worrying about the next opponent's high powered offense: "If we hold 'em under 50 we'll be fine."