PDA

View Full Version : Florida State buying out of Maine game and playing GSU instead?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 25th, 2009, 09:54 PM
GSU has not yet released its 2009 schedule but our AD has stated that we do in fact have an FBS game scheduled. The ACC wants (see link) to move the FSU-Miami game to week 1 (where the game with Maine currently is) and rumor has it that they are doing that and are replacing UM with GSU. Anyone have any information about this?

http://www.wctv.tv/sports/headlines/37859074.html

mainejeff
January 25th, 2009, 10:03 PM
GSU has not yet released its 2009 schedule but our AD has stated that we do in fact have an FBS game scheduled. The ACC wants (see link) to move the FSU-Miami game to week 1 (where the game with Maine currently is) and rumor has it that they are doing that and are replacing UM with GSU. Anyone have any information about this?

http://www.wctv.tv/sports/headlines/37859074.html

It's the million dollar question right now......literally.

seantaylor
January 25th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I wish we had Maine's AD. Ours is killing the program.

jsugamecocks1
January 25th, 2009, 10:47 PM
you know the athletic dept here at JSU has also said that we are possibly playing FSU instead of maine to so we shall see who really is

Baldy
January 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM
The AD said we are playing an ACC team this year, just waiting for everything to be finalized. We shall see...

PantherRob82
January 26th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Would feel bad for GSU if this is the case..

MplsBison
January 26th, 2009, 08:07 AM
For a second I thought Florida State was going to be playing Georgia State (GSU).

That would be a cool addition to the Florida-Georgia rivalry.

89Hen
January 26th, 2009, 08:19 AM
I assume a "buyout" is something that is negotiated, but does anyone have any idea at how much Maine would be looking to reap?

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 26th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I assume a "buyout" is something that is negotiated, but does anyone have any idea at how much Maine would be looking to reap?

$900,000, from what I hear.

I don't know about that, but I'm certainly not happy about playing only 5 home games this season. What kind of major FCS program only schedules 5 home games? Now our road schedule is App, Elon, Wofford, Samford, South Dakota State, and the ACC opponent. xsmhx

brownbear
January 26th, 2009, 12:55 PM
For a second I thought Florida State was going to be playing Georgia State (GSU).

Florida State-Georgia Tech was a good rivalry (though lopsided when they played throughout the 90s) that kind of died when the ACC expanded and went to the divisional setup. Instead, Georgia Tech gets Miami every year, and FSU about once every three years.

FSU-Georgia State would be a BAD matchup for the first few years of Georgia State's program. Though they are both called "... State," they aren't really similar schools at all. Georgia State is a commuter school, more like UCF or USF.

Appinator
January 26th, 2009, 01:00 PM
I don't know about that, but I'm certainly not happy about playing only 5 home games this season. What kind of major FCS program only schedules 5 home games? Now our road schedule is App, Elon, Wofford, Samford, South Dakota State, and the ACC opponent. xsmhx

Can I be the first one to say "OUCH" for GSU? That is going to be a brutal away slate.

89Hen
January 26th, 2009, 01:04 PM
WHAT?!?! That's a lot more than anyone has actually ever received for playing a game... let alone NOT playing a game. xconfusedxxeekx

mainejeff
January 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM
WHAT?!?! That's a lot more than anyone has actually ever received for playing a game... let alone NOT playing a game. xconfusedxxeekx

Come on......you being the corporate Delaware type should know all about contracts and buyouts. ;)

I think that Maine negotiated a great deal up front with a tremendous buyout clause. I think that Maine's AD is looking for $900,000 which would be plenty of money to buy Maine another FCS home game plus put a nice chunk of change in the bank.......OR another FBS game with the same payout as Florida State was paying ($450,000?).

MplsBison
January 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Florida State-Georgia Tech was a good rivalry (though lopsided when they played throughout the 90s) that kind of died when the ACC expanded and went to the divisional setup. Instead, Georgia Tech gets Miami every year, and FSU about once every three years.

FSU-Georgia State would be a BAD matchup for the first few years of Georgia State's program. Though they are both called "... State," they aren't really similar schools at all. Georgia State is a commuter school, more like UCF or USF.

Neither Florida State or Georgia State are land grant schools, in the traditional sense of "[state name] State University".

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2009, 01:37 PM
JMU hasn't released their schedule yet, but 9 opponents have already released their schedules. So the bolded dates are confirmed. Unless the CAA would give a team 3 straight away/home CAA games over 3 consecutive weekends, JMU is playing Maine on 11/7. JMU has been trying to get someone to switch to 9/5 so they can move their bye date off the 1st weekend and not have to play 11 straight weeks. If FSU byes out Maine & JMU could get Maine to switch, having a bye date 2 weeks from the last game of the regular season wouldn't be ideal as it would be having it sometime in Oct, but would be much better esp if JMU makes the playoffs.

9/5 Bye
9/12 @ Maryland
9/19 VMI
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 @Hofstra
10/10 UR (Family Weekend)
10/17 Nova, (HC)
10/24 @ W&M
10/31 @UD
11/7 Maine/@UMass
11/14 @ UMass/Maine
11/21 Towson

89Hen
January 26th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I think that Maine negotiated a great deal up front with a tremendous buyout clause.

Florida State was paying ($450,000?).
I should say so. WFT was FSU thinking??? xnutsx xoopsx

jmufan999
January 26th, 2009, 01:44 PM
900K just for NOT playing? really? if so, that's pretty freaking awesome.

UNHWildCats
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
JMU hasn't released their schedule yet, but 9 opponents have already released their schedules. So the bolded dates are confirmed. Unless the CAA would give a team 3 straight away/home CAA games over 3 consecutive weekends, JMU is playing Maine on 11/7. JMU has been trying to get someone to switch to 9/5 so they can move their bye date off the 1st weekend and not have to play 11 straight weeks. If FSU byes out Maine & JMU could get Maine to switch, having a bye date on the next to last week wouldn't be ideal, but would be much better esp if JMU makes the playoffs.

9/5 Bye
9/12 @ Maryland
9/19 VMI
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 @Hofstra
10/17 Nova, (HC)
10/24 @ W&M
10/31 @UD
11/7 Maine
11/14 @ UMass
11/21 Towson
That should be it.

mainejeff
January 26th, 2009, 02:15 PM
JMU hasn't released their schedule yet, but 9 opponents have already released their schedules. So the bolded dates are confirmed. Unless the CAA would give a team 3 straight away/home CAA games over 3 consecutive weekends, JMU is playing Maine on 11/7. JMU has been trying to get someone to switch to 9/5 so they can move their bye date off the 1st weekend and not have to play 11 straight weeks. If FSU byes out Maine & JMU could get Maine to switch, having a bye date on the next to last week wouldn't be ideal, but would be much better esp if JMU makes the playoffs.

9/5 Bye
9/12 @ Maryland
9/19 VMI
9/26 @ Liberty
10/3 @Hofstra
10/17 Nova, (HC)
10/24 @ W&M
10/31 @UD
11/7 Maine/@UMass
11/14 @ UMass/Maine
11/21 Towson

Ummm......no. I don't think that you'll see Maine wanting to switch the dates........I think that they would rather play a CAA game in Virginia on Nov.7 rather than Sept.5. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Ummm......no. I don't think that you'll see Maine wanting to switch the dates........I think that they would rather play a CAA game in Virginia on Nov.7 rather than Sept.5. xthumbsupx

Yeah, I know its not likely. I erroneously said if it happened it would be the next to last week. make that 2 weeks from the last week. Ideally you want your bye week sometime in Oct.

Big Dawg
January 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM
The problem comes because Miami replaced FSU with Florida A&M in order to open the season with the Seminoles. GSU will not be playing FSU this year.

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM

xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx whew! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

FSU/Tech had some close games, but I wouldn't call it a rivalry about as much as NCState or Virginia in the '90s. Close games but that's about it.

blueballs
January 26th, 2009, 05:09 PM
If the AD sells out the program for another away game which would give GSU only 5 home games, on top of the road slate that includes App, Wofford, Elon, Samford, SDSU- all of whom may be ranked either at the start of the season or when GSU plays them- the message will have been sent that the playoffs don't matter, only the almighty dollar.

That would leave GSU with the less than impressive home slate of Albany, Citadel, WCU, Furman, and Chatty (not in that order).

I hope for the team's and the fan's sake this doesn't come to fruition. I would rather have at least six home games and a shot at the playoffs than a fatter bank account.

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 05:37 PM
If the AD sells out the program for another away game which would give GSU only 5 home games, on top of the road slate that includes App, Wofford, Elon, Samford, SDSU- all of whom may be ranked either at the start of the season or when GSU plays them- the message will have been sent that the playoffs don't matter, only the almighty dollar.

That would leave GSU with the less than impressive home slate of Albany, Citadel, WCU, Furman, and Chatty (not in that order).

I hope for the team's and the fan's sake this doesn't come to fruition. I would rather have at least six home games and a shot at the playoffs than a fatter bank account.
I know you don't want another road game, but as a Nole fan, I'd rather see Georgia Southern, than most other FCS teams.

hippy@GSU
January 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM

THANK YOU!!!! If this happens, I will need an extra helping of that colorless Kentucky whisky, blueballs. I think the FBS games are fun, but in reality the odds are against a win for GSU and adding another loss will certainly not help the playoff chances. Our program has been through a lot of crap the past few years and we need one of the easiest ways possible to help fire up a starved fanbase. Only 5 home games and that brutal road schedule (conference is a given, but going to SDSU and a possible ACC team is ridiculous) certainly makes the climb much steeper. If GSU makes it into the playoffs this year, they will certainly DESERVE every bit of it. GO EAGLES!!!! GATA!!!! FU SB!!!!!

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2009, 06:17 PM

If Free Shoes Univ buys out their Maine game, that would leave Maine with an extra open date and only 10 games, right?

1. Would Maine primarily be interested in finding an FBS replacement to replace FSU, with the 2nd choice being another FCS, and the last choice being a DII?

I could see it going down something like this:

JMU to Maine: "Would you be willing to switch our game from Nov 7 to Sept 5 now that you have Sept 5 open?"

Maine to JMU: "We are going to see if we can find an FBS replacement for 9/5 1st."

Maine goes down the list of 120ish FBS and see who has an open date 5 Sept, and starts contacting them to see if any are interested. If Maine could find a replacement, case closed. But if Maine couldn't find another FBS replacement for 9/5, then what? Try to find an FCS or Div II for 9/5 or consider taking up JMU's offer and try to find a FBS replacement on 11/7?

At least if JMU told Maine they were willing to switch it would provide Maine 2 dates, 9/5 and 11/7, to come up with that 11th opponent.

Oh, and BTW, JMU's 1st home game is traditionally a 6 PM night game, so the heat wouldn't be as much of a factor as playing a noon-3PM game in early Sept in VA.

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 06:34 PM
If Free Shoes Univ buys out their Maine game, that would leave Maine with an open date and only 10 games, right?

1. Would Maine primarily be interested in finding an FBS replacement to replace FSU, with the 2nd choice being another FCS, and the last choice being a DII?

JMU to Maine: "Would you be willing to switch our game from Nov 7 to Sept 5 now that you have Sept 5 open?"

Maine to JMU: "We are going to see if we can find an FBS replacement for 9/5 1st."

Maine goes down the list of 120ish FBS and see who has an open date 5 Sept, and starts contacting them to see if any are interested. If Maine could find a replacement, case closed. But if Maine couldn't find another FBS replacement for 9/5, then what? Try to find an FCS or Div II for 9/5 or consider taking up JMU's offer and try to find a FBS replacement on 11/7?

At least if JMU told Maine they were willing to switch it would provide Maine 2 dates, 9/5 and 11/7, to come up with that 11th opponent.

Oh, and BTW, JMU's 1st home game is traditionally a 6 PM night game, so the heat wouldn't be as much of a factor as playing a noon-3PM game in early Sept in VA.
Are you related to Spurrier? I haven't heard that one in years. xlolx

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 06:35 PM
The problem comes because Miami replaced FSU with Florida A&M in order to open the season with the Seminoles. GSU will not be playing FSU this year.
They aren't moving the game with the Rattlers? I'm still holding out hope of Southern coming to Tallahassee this year.

mainejeff
January 26th, 2009, 08:15 PM
If Free Shoes Univ buys out their Maine game, that would leave Maine with an open date and only 10 games, right?

I believe that Maine has more dates than Sept.5th to work in another opponent......1, maybe 2 other dates. I think that they needed 1 more game excluding the FBS/Florida State date.

brownbear
January 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx whew! xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

FSU/Tech had some close games, but I wouldn't call it a rivalry about as much as NCState or Virginia in the '90s. Close games but that's about it.

I think the FSU/Tech rivalry could have been a big thing, but it died after only 15 years.

To Tech, the game was a huge deal. I remember them billing the Florida State game as their biggest game other than UGA.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 26th, 2009, 09:50 PM

Explain.

Not with what Sam will probably charge them.

Big Dawg
January 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Explain.

Well FSU is going to play Miami regardless. The ACC is gonna make that happen. FAMU and Miami have signed a contract to play on Oct. 17, the day that FSU was spposed to play UM.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 26th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Well FSU is going to play Miami regardless. The ACC is gonna make that happen. FAMU and Miami have signed a contract to play on Oct. 17, the day that FSU was spposed to play UM.

And if FSU-Miami has been moved to September 5th then FSU will have to remove Maine from their schedule. I don't see why this means GSU won't play FSU this year.

Big Dawg
January 26th, 2009, 10:11 PM
And if FSU-Miami has been moved to September 5th then FSU will have to remove Maine from their schedule. I don't see why this means GSU won't play FSU this year.

I think I see the mistake. In the first post, when you say UM might be replaced by GSU, do you mean Miami or Maine???

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I think the FSU/Tech rivalry could have been a big thing, but it died after only 15 years.

To Tech, the game was a huge deal. I remember them billing the Florida State game as their biggest game other than UGA.
I guess but really most ACC games were never a big deal, only getting revenge after a loss. To most FSU fans it's UF,Miami or the other way around. Everybody else falls in line after that.

BDKJMU
January 26th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I believe that Maine has more dates than Sept.5th to work in another opponent......1, maybe 2 other dates. I think that they needed 1 more game excluding the FBS/Florida State date.

Yeah, I forgot about the fact that Maine, like everyone else has an open date. There's 12 Saturdays 9/5-11/21, so if Maine has 10 games set right now, they would have 2 open Saturdays.

JMU is always late releasing their schedule. JMU's inept AD has JMU with their bye week on 9/5, so JMU will have to play 11 straight, with only 5 home games at that. There's no excuse (although JMU will give one) for that piss poor scheduling.

Big Dawg
January 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I guess but really most ACC games were never a big deal, only getting revenge after a loss. To most FSU fans it's UF,Miami or the other way around. Everybody else falls in line after that.

Yep. What ACC teams did FSU lose to in the 90's outside of Virginia in '95 and NC State in '98???

I think that was it.

Baldy
January 26th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Believe me, we're NOT playing FSU this season. However, we ARE playing another ACC team...expect an announcement very soon.

kirkblitz
January 26th, 2009, 10:30 PM

ccu has 5 home games this year xbawlingxxbawlingx

813Jag
January 26th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Yep. What ACC teams did FSU lose to in the 90's outside of Virginia in '95 and NC State in '98???

I think that was it.
That's it, that's why the rivalry was on the other side. Tech had close games in the early 2000's, but rivalry wise it's Gates and Canes.

eaglewraith
January 27th, 2009, 05:40 AM

After one year of even having a thought of having a football team, and never having seen the playing field, how can you think of Ga State instead? Oh I guess we never won 6 national championships or anything....no that would be impossible.

Go choke on some Field Turf since you love fellating it so much.

MplsBison
January 27th, 2009, 08:10 AM
After one year of even having a thought of having a football team, and never having seen the playing field, how can you think of Ga State instead? Oh I guess we never won 6 national championships or anything....no that would be impossible.

Go choke on some Field Turf since you love fellating it so much.

Because GSU = Georgia State.

Check it out: www.gsu.edu

McNeese72
January 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Because GSU = Georgia State.

Check it out: www.gsu.edu

Down here, say GSU and a lot of people will think of Grambling State University.

Doc

appfan2008
January 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM

That is insane... GSU should ALWAYS play 6 home games

paward
January 27th, 2009, 05:53 PM

Richmond scheduled five home games in 2008. Seven on the road.

Redbirdz
January 27th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Believe it will be Jacksonville State

Keeper
January 28th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Rutgers has 3 OOC openings and all of Sept open if da Bears are interested. Also, Syracuse has one opening to fill late Sept early Oct.

ccd494
January 28th, 2009, 04:08 PM

You can have him. Ours is killing the ice hockey program.

FCS_pwns_FBS
January 28th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Believe me, we're NOT playing FSU this season. However, we ARE playing another ACC team...expect an announcement very soon.

Have you go inside info, Baldy?

McNeese75
January 28th, 2009, 08:29 PM
You can have him. Ours is killing the ice hockey program.

xrolleyesx Yep, our AD killed our hockey program deader'n hell too xlolx