PDA

View Full Version : JMU DC gets NM job coaching DBs

BDKJMU
January 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=71029&SPID=8113&DB_OEM_ID=14400&ATCLID=3653172

FCS Go!
January 25th, 2009, 08:35 PM
This guy was THE defensive coordinator for JMU? Seems like a lateral move at best.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I guess he was just looking to get on a staff at one of the D-1 programs.

Could the salary as a position coach at a 4-8 Mountain West school be much better than the salary as JMU defensive coordinator?

mcveyrl
January 26th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I guess he was just looking to get on a staff at one of the D-1 programs.

Could the salary as a position coach at a 4-8 Mountain West school be much better than the salary as JMU defensive coordinator?

I don't think the salary could be that much higher, if at all. You're probably right on about the FBS position, though.

bandl
January 26th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Maybe he just wants a new challenge?? xcoffeex

Or better weather?? xlolx

bluehenbillk
January 26th, 2009, 07:41 AM
This move is why I always shake my head at the countless posts people put on here about the "disrespect" of FCS.

henfan
January 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Moving from a coordinator position at an FCS school to a position coach job at an FBS school is almost never a pay downgrade. I'd be surprised if it were a downgrade in this case.

A recent example at UD includes our OC, who moved to Rutgers as WR coach and got a payraise. Of course, it's not always about money either. Even for those coaches who don't have high 'careerist' ambitions, there are quality of life and other issues to consider.

Living in Albuquerque wouldn't suck, IMO.

Eight Legger
January 26th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Moving from a coordinator position at an FCS school to a position coach job at an FBS school is almost never a pay downgrade. I'd be surprised if it were a downgrade in this case.

A recent example at UD includes our OC, who moved to Rutgers as WR coach and got a payraise. Of course, it's not always about money either. Even for those coaches who don't have high 'careerist' ambitions, there are quality of life and other issues to consider.

Living in Albuquerque wouldn't suck, IMO.

I would think in this case you are correct, but our former HC Dave Clawson was just hired as the HC at Bowling Green for a salary of $200K a year. Mike London makes more than that at UR right now, and I'm sure that's not the only example like that out there.

andy7171
January 26th, 2009, 11:41 AM
The new HC Mike Locksley was a team mate of mine at Towson. He just left Illinios OC spot for this position. $750,000 per.
Not bad.
I would HAVE to think JMU's DC make much less than what he's going to make at New Mexico.

henfan
January 26th, 2009, 11:57 AM
I would think in this case you are correct, but our former HC Dave Clawson was just hired as the HC at Bowling Green for a salary of $200K a year. Mike London makes more than that at UR right now, and I'm sure that's not the only example like that out there.

But you'd have to admit that Clawson's situation was a little different. In fact, Clawson is a great example to prove my earlier point. He went from being UR's HC to a coordinator position at UT, where he got a significant pay raise. He was on the bad end of a deal through little fault of his own when he got released from UT. It's not as if he went directly from UR to BGU.

BTW, Clawson's base salary at BGU is $200K. With incentives, he can make as much as $400K.

I'd doubt London will ever stand to make that much moola at UR or any FCS school. If Clawson's successful, I'd also doubt that he'd be long for BGU. Right or wrong, if he makes headway as BGU's HC, Clawson stands to be better positioned for a BCS HC job a little quicker than would Mike London, Mickey Matthews, KC Keeler, etc.

andy7171
January 26th, 2009, 12:15 PM
But you'd have to admit that Clawson's situation was a little different. In fact, Clawson is a great example to prove my earlier point. He went from being UR's HC to a coordinator position at UT, where he got a significant pay raise. He was on the bad end of a deal through little fault of his own when he got released from UT. It's not as if he went directly from UR to BGU.

BTW, Clawson's base salary at BGU is $200K. With incentives, he can make as much as $400K.

I'd doubt London will ever stand to make that much moola at UR or any FCS school. If Clawson's successful, I'd also doubt that he'd be long for BGU. Right or wrong, if he makes headway as BGU's HC, Clawson stands to be better positioned for a BCS HC job a little quicker than would Mike London, Mickey Matthews, KC Keeler, etc.

The new Towson HC is getting in the low to mid $300s.

henfan
January 26th, 2009, 01:25 PM
The new Towson HC is getting in the low to mid $300s.

Do you have confirmation that this is Ambrose's base salary? That seems excessively high for the CAA, especially for an unproven coach and especially for Towson. In fact, Combs, who was one of the most experienced coaches in the FCS, was reported to be one of the lowest paid coaches in the CAA.

Pardon my skepticism but, if true, Ambrose would be making more than Mickey Matthews (around $220k base, $260k-$270k net) and KC Keeler.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 26th, 2009, 01:52 PM
This might have already been said but .... according to other sources he is getting a SUBSTANTIAL pay raise. Plus to move into a position to be a 1A head coach this helps out. It would be hard for him to go from 1AA DC to 1A HC.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 26th, 2009, 01:56 PM
Do you have confirmation that this is Ambrose's base salary? That seems excessively high for the CAA, especially for an unproven coach and especially for Towson. In fact, Combs, who was one of the most experienced coaches in the FCS, was reported to be one of the lowest paid coaches in the CAA.

Pardon my skepticism but, if true, Ambrose would be making more than Mickey Matthews (around $220k base, $260k-$270k net) and KC Keeler.

I agree with your assesment. I think London has a chance to earn close to $300 with bonuses here. Richmond had put together a pretty aggressive package to try and get Clawson to stick around this time last year ... I am quite certain that London's contract is on par with what Clawson was expected to earn.

I am surprised that Towson would be so much higher.

jmufan999
January 26th, 2009, 02:02 PM
regardless, i think i speak for most/all JMU fans when i say i wish him the best. it's a good sign (although it doesn't always seem that way immediately) when your asst coaches are getting offers and being "snatched away". it's what has been happening to the new england patriots for years. just means we're getting the ball rolling in the right direction. good for him.

Bison "FANatic"
January 26th, 2009, 04:40 PM
I do believe that the Bison DC from last year had that job for about the last month and a half. He then moved on when a offer from Tennessee came. One of the shortest coaching stints I have heard of. I would bet it is a significant pay raise increase as we pay our assistants fairly well also.