PDA

View Full Version : Regionalization my A**!

SpiritCymbal
November 20th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Screw the regionalization crap. It doesn't work. First off, the committee isn't even following the guidelines for regionalization. Secondly, it's created piss-poor 1st round matchups that shouldn't be happening. Last year #5 UNH on the road at #4 GSU. This year, #6 GSU @ #4 TSU, etc....These games SHOULD NOT be played in the 1st round. Pitting two teams that are so highly ranked does nothing but screw the loser. The top side of the bracket is so overloaded it's not even funny. And it has NOTHING to do with regionalization. You've got a bracket that goes from New Hampshire to Georgia to California and up to Montana. ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?

I know it's supposedly to help save costs....but it ain't happening! Go back to the old way and seed all the teams...#1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15...at least teams will stop getting screwed by the playoff committee!

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Screw the regionalization crap. It doesn't work. First off, the committee isn't even following the guidelines for regionalization. Secondly, it's created piss-poor 1st round matchups that shouldn't be happening. Last year #5 UNH on the road at #4 GSU. This year, #6 GSU @ #4 TSU, etc....These games SHOULD NOT be played in the 1st round. Pitting two teams that are so highly ranked does nothing but screw the loser. The top side of the bracket is so overloaded it's not even funny. And it has NOTHING to do with regionalization. You've got a bracket that goes from New Hampshire to Georgia to California and up to Montana. ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS?

I know it's supposedly to help save costs....but it ain't happening! Go back to the old way and seed all the teams...#1 vs. #16, #2 vs. #15...at least teams will stop getting screwed by the playoff committee!

I agree... but it happens all the time... in '03 #4 SIU (10-1) was at #2 Delaware (11-1) in the 1st round.

CanuckPanther
November 20th, 2005, 06:55 PM
I don't understand why the Montana Bobcat fans have not been on here and screaming beyong belief! EWU beat both Montana and Montana State, and Montana State beat Montana. So, which of those two got the invitation?
Does NOT make sense to me. Why did MSU work so hard to beat Montana?

Tod
November 20th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I don't understand why the Montana Bobcat fans have not been on here and screaming beyong belief! EWU beat both Montana and Montana State, and Montana State beat Montana. So, which of those two got the invitation?

Because it was a football game? Also, one of the biggest rivalries in football? Montana was 8-3, MSU 7-4. If MSU had been 8-3, they would have got an invite too (or maybe instead).

SpiritCymbal
November 20th, 2005, 07:20 PM
I agree... but it happens all the time... in '03 #4 SIU (10-1) was at #2 Delaware (11-1) in the 1st round.
Another good example of this BullS*** "regionalization".

GASIUalum
November 20th, 2005, 07:24 PM
heh, that's forgetting last year #1 SIU got #9 EWU.

rokamortis
November 20th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Another good example of this BullS*** "regionalization".

1st they seed the teams that deserve it. Then they award hosts based on bid. Then they try regionalize.

I thought the same thing as you at first and then realized that this is probably just how things ended up due to circumstances.

Blazerbird
November 20th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I've seen both Montana and Montana State play, and in my opinion the Bobcats are the more talented team. What bothers me though, is that the Griz are at home in the playoffs with only one more win. The Bobcats left Bozeman to play tough games at OK State, Eastern WA, Portland St., and Cal Poly. The challenging Griz away schedule was composed of a loss to the Bobcats as well a blowout loss in Eugene. Additionally, they get whipped by Eastern at home and still get handed the prized home playoff game. This is wrong.

JALMOND
November 20th, 2005, 07:44 PM
I've seen both Montana and Montana State play, and in my opinion the Bobcats are the more talented team. What bothers me though, is that the Griz are at home in the playoffs with only one more win. The Bobcats left Bozeman to play tough games at OK State, Eastern WA, Portland St., and Cal Poly. The challenging Griz away schedule was composed of a loss to the Bobcats as well a blowout loss in Eugene. Additionally, they get whipped by Eastern at home and still get handed the prized home playoff game. This is wrong.

A lot of teams got blown out in Eugene this year (see the Beavers just this past weekend). That's what happens playing the second best Pac-10 team this year.

Money is what drives I-AA and having a game at Missoula brings more money for them. The Griz were fortunate to schedule Poly, EWU and Portland all in Missoula this year with their toughest road game within conference was at Bozeman. Still, you can't argue with the cash cow (Wash-Griz), one of the best venues for I-AA in the west.

siugrad99
November 20th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Quit your cryin and be proud you get the opportunity to play in the playoffs. If you are that pissed i'm sure there are plenty of other teams willing to take your spot. Noone said it was going to be easy so suck it up and deal with the hand your delt. It is not as if you are the only team with a tough game.

Ronbo
November 20th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Why don't you get more than 6000 lousy fans at your games and you could get a home playoff. Or get seeded, your choice. The NCAA cringes when you low drawing teams get home playoffs. It loses money for everyone. There's more to a winning program than a good team, get some butts in the seats and we'll talk. :rolleyes:

Eagle22
November 20th, 2005, 10:20 PM
1st they seed the teams that deserve it. Then they award hosts based on bid. Then they try regionalize.

I thought the same thing as you at first and then realized that this is probably just how things ended up due to circumstances.

I certainly reserve the right to be wrong, but I have a hard time believing that EIU outbid Georgia Southern ...

The committee obviously felt that awarding three home games to one conference shouldn't happen under pretty much any circumstances. When the polls come out tomorrow, it won't be surprising to see 3 SoCon teams in the top six. They would be well served to include this in future 'rules' so there isn't any thoughts that an at-large entry in the top six ranking in both the polls and/or GPI could even entertain the thought of hosting a game.

grizbeer
November 20th, 2005, 10:34 PM
I've seen both Montana and Montana State play, and in my opinion the Bobcats are the more talented team. What bothers me though, is that the Griz are at home in the playoffs with only one more win. The Bobcats left Bozeman to play tough games at OK State, Eastern WA, Portland St., and Cal Poly. The challenging Griz away schedule was composed of a loss to the Bobcats as well a blowout loss in Eugene. Additionally, they get whipped by Eastern at home and still get handed the prized home playoff game. This is wrong.I hope the Griz and (EWU) Eagles get to play again in the Semi's. In Missoula. Then you can cry about that too. Maybe if more than 6000 people cared about the (EWU) eagles you could get a home playoff game too.

PantherMan
November 20th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I hope the Griz and (EWU) Eagles get to play again in the Semi's. In Missoula. Then you can cry about that too. Maybe if more than 6000 people cared about the (EWU) eagles you could get a home playoff game too.

How's about a UNI-UM semi in Missoula ;) . I could see it happening...

barechestcat
November 21st, 2005, 12:09 AM
How's about a UNI-UM semi in Missoula ;) . I could see it happening...

With all due respect to your UNI team, I feel sorry for you having to play EWU in the first round. Their offense is ridiculous. And, there defense is back to healthy.
I don't follow your team. But, if you have trouble defending the passing game, your team better be ready to score at least 40 to stay with them.

barechestcat
November 21st, 2005, 12:13 AM

A lot of us MSU fans felt coming into the weekend that we had a chance to make the field if we won handily over the Griz (mission accomplished) and got some help from 2-3 key matchups. Basically, those games didn't go our way and we realize that we messed up in not playing a better game against EWU.

I think our schedule this season wound up hurting us with two OOC losses.

Here's to four more weeks of great football in the best college division in the land!!!

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 08:16 AM
If you're the best team in the country, you'll win all your games, no matter where you played. Look at that no-name team in '04 that won all their games on the road.

grizbeer
November 21st, 2005, 09:04 AM
How's about a UNI-UM semi in Missoula ;) . I could see it happening...I would be happy seing UM play anyone anywhere in a semi final game :)

bcrawf
November 21st, 2005, 09:37 AM
For everyones Info:
A UNI-Montana Semi would be in Cedar Falls (For Sure). Montana is not a seeded team and is, therefore, not guarenteed a home game for a minimum bid. The NCAA then chooses the best site where the most money can be made.

The Top half Semifinal is locked in for Friday Night at 8 CST and therefore will require lights for any outdoor stadium. Lights that Wash-Griz does not have and with Montana not having a seed the NCAA does not have to and will not spend the money to bring portable lights to Missoula.

So, if this scenario plays out (and both teams have tough games on Saturday) the Grizzly Nation will have to pack its bags for Iowa.

And those of you that were in there for the SIU game thought that was the loudest it had ever been. I can only Imagine!!

FU97
November 21st, 2005, 09:49 AM
For everyones Info:
A UNI-Montana Semi would be in Cedar Falls (For Sure). Montana is not a seeded team and is, therefore, not guarenteed a home game for a minimum bid. The NCAA then chooses the best site where the most money can be made.

The Top half Semifinal is locked in for Friday Night at 8 CST and therefore will require lights for any outdoor stadium. Lights that Wash-Griz does not have and with Montana not having a seed the NCAA does not have to and will not spend the money to bring portable lights to Missoula.

So, if this scenario plays out (and both teams have tough games on Saturday) the Grizzly Nation will have to pack its bags for Iowa.

And those of you that were in there for the SIU game thought that was the loudest it had ever been. I can only Imagine!!

Just becasue the NCAA doesn't have to pay for lights doesn't mean Montana wouldn't splurge for them.......

putter
November 21st, 2005, 09:51 AM
For everyones Info:

I hear what you are saying but in this system 23,000 people paying $25 ($525,000) speaks volumes more then no lights. We were not seeded last year and they brought the lights in for New Hampshire.

mlbowl
November 21st, 2005, 09:53 AM

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Let's see if I have this correct......

MSU played a tough game against Eastern - L 35-14
and UM got WHIPPED by Eastern - L 34-20....... :rolleyes:

BTW....How'd you guys do against Cal Poly & Idaho State? (Griz beat both those teams)