PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Big South Verbal Commitment Tracker

EagleDawg
January 22nd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Let's get this thing started Big South Fans, let's hear the about the most current verbal commitments for each of the member schools.

Charleston Southern

Coastal Carolina

LB D'Juan Smith (6-0 200) of Douglas, GA, DL Donnie Owens (6-3 305) of Fayetteville, NC and DE Adrian McCollum of Dillon

Gardner-Webb xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Jeff Harris, OL East Forsyth High School, NC
6'-2", 265 lbs.
Austin Sargent, OL Ninety-Six HS, SC
6'-2", 260 lbs.
Hudson Smith, DL/TE/FB Aiken HS, SC
6'-1", 230 lbs.
Trey Spiller, OL Hokes Bluff HS, AL
6'-6", 285 lbs.

Liberty

QB Brian Hudson - 6' 3" 192 lbs
RB SirChauncey Holloway - 5' 8" 190 lbs - Spring Enrollee
WR Patrick Kelly - 6' 2" 190 lbs - Spring enrollee
OL Malcolm Boyd - 6' 4" 290 lbs
OL Jay Weatherington - 6' 5" 282 lbs
DT Pat Mays - 6' 2" 275 lbs
ILB Eric Fath - 6' 3" 212 lbs
OLB Khalil Mack - 6' 2" 215 lbs
OLB Demetrius Ward - 6' 3" 210 lbs
S D.J. Edmond - 6' 1" 195 lbs
DB Brent Vinson - 6' 1" 200 lbs - Spring Enrollee
ATH Aldreakis Allen - 6' 0" 200 lbs
RB Alex Green - 6' 2" 215 lbs
WR Justin Hilton - 6' 3" 190 lbs - Spring Enrollee

Presbyterian

P Ryan Morris of North Kingstown, RI
DL Melvin Jones (6-1 305) of Conyers, GA
WR Andreco Bailey (6-1 180) of Covington, GA
DB Anterrius Terrell (5-10 170) of Covington, GA
OL Hunter Haynes (6-5 270) of Greenville,
LB Daniel Cleveland (6-0 206) of Byrnes
OL Jamie Dunaway of Byrnes

Stony Brook

VMI

If you have something to add just cut and paste the most recent update into your post.

SuperJon
January 22nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
RB Alex Green - 6' 2" 215 lbs

Those are just the ones that have been made public. There are, of course, others who we can't comment on yet.

EagleDawg
January 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Liberty appears to be putting together a solid recruiting class and will be the favorite in the Big South in 09 but don't count out them RunninDawgs from GWU. D will be better and the O if they can avoid the turnover bug could light it up. xnodx xnodx xnodx

ATrain
January 22nd, 2009, 08:55 PM
GW will contend, but Liberty is still the team to beat.

EagleDawg
January 23rd, 2009, 02:55 PM
See updates edited in the first post.

kirkblitz
January 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
i fully expect ccu to suck until about 2015 when we get a new coach

Sly Fox
January 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I believe I read on the PC board that those Byrnes commits may no longer be in the fold. Nichols has to be working it hard arriving so close to signing day.

EagleDawg
January 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
kirkblitz - what's the beef with the current CCU coach/coaching staff, care to elaborate a bit more. It wasn't but just a couple years ago that they made into the FCS playoffs via an At-Large Bid, something that hasn't been achieved since I believe. Their recruiting is a little strange I believe where they try to focus on SC players vs Out-of-State players so that they get more bang for their buck due to the difference in attendance costs (actual dollars spent vs numbers of schollies). That becomes somewhat limiting especially with the competition for FCS level players from a host of schools recruiting in SC (Citadel, Charleston Southern, Furman, Wofford, Presbyterian, GA Southern, Gardner-Webb, Western Carolina, Liberty, VMI, App State,etc).

BJuice
January 23rd, 2009, 11:24 PM
Let's get this thing started Big South Fans, let's hear the about the most current verbal commitments for each of the member schools.

Charleston Southern

If you have something to add just cut and paste the most recent update into your post.

This has been a major source of disappointment for me in the past and present. It is also an opportunity that I believe Charleston Southern does not take enough advantage of. There is not enough CSU recruiting info out there. IMO, announcing commitments is part of the process and it creates buzz, interest, and keeps the school's name and football program in the spotlight and in people's minds during the "offseason".

I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to find out any recruiting information on my CSU Buccaneers. I would like to know who we are looking at and who has committed to us.

I would love to join in on this discussion, but I guess I will just have to wait to see our class on signing day and watch to see who all of your schools are getting commitments from.

kirkblitz
January 24th, 2009, 02:28 AM
kirkblitz - what's the beef with the current CCU coach/coaching staff, care to elaborate a bit more. It wasn't but just a couple years ago that they made into the FCS playoffs via an At-Large Bid, something that hasn't been achieved since I believe. Their recruiting is a little strange I believe where they try to focus on SC players vs Out-of-State players so that they get more bang for their buck due to the difference in attendance costs (actual dollars spent vs numbers of schollies). That becomes somewhat limiting especially with the competition for FCS level players from a host of schools recruiting in SC (Citadel, Charleston Southern, Furman, Wofford, Presbyterian, GA Southern, Gardner-Webb, Western Carolina, Liberty, VMI, App State,etc).

we had quite a few firsts this year, first time we were shut out ever. first time last in the big south football standings. 2 non winning seasons in a row. I realize u don't follow CCU, but bennett got a 1+ million dollar buyout and like a 10 year contract extension after the playoffs. we have since then gone 11-12. We consistently have ranked in the bottom of the nation in D since our programs inception and Bennett refuses to correct the problem, we had 3 o coordinators until this season ended and half our staff tryed to jump ship(thank god) but couldnt get hired elsewhere. we had 4 500+ yard games against us this season.

he is using his D2 staff which he brought with him to try and play FCS ball, it doesnt work to say the least. with weaker schedules since his contract extension we have had worse results. we had almost 13 people arrested last season and some were allowed back on by the team "leadership" council. our football program has become a joke. xnonox

funny that he spends more time doing local commercials then he does coaching a winning team xnonox

seriously read this thread.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52207

Hell yes he has

ill list some reasons

1) recruitment of thugs, remember those 9 arrests?

2) HORRIBLE D coordinator, ranked in the bottom of the nation in defense for 3 years

3) Bad play calling, we had the #2 offense in the country in 2006 the year of our playoff run, since then we are about 60 each year.

This program has fallen apart and the fact bennett has a 1.2 million buyout and about 8 years left on his contract does not bode well for the futre of ccu. With the other Big south schools getting better and us staying the same or getting WORSE we can look forward to being on the bottom like CSU use to be.

Total Defense Rank Total Yard/game Total Rush Rank Rush yard allow/game
2003 .... 34 ....... 325.33 ...... 48 ......... 145.8
2004 ..... 21 ...... 313.64 ....... 47 ....... 140.1
2005 ....... 35 ......... 337.45 ..... 44 .... 145.3
2006 ..... 70 ...... 349.17 ....... 105 ...... 196.2
2007 ...... 51 ...... 360.27 ....... 106 ...... 218.9
2008 ....... 78 ..... 369.70 ..... 94 ...... 181.5

Total O Rank Total O yard Passing Pass yard Rushing Rush Yard
2003 ..... 96 ...... 304.45 ...... 115 ..... 91.2 ..... 18 .... 278.00
2004 ...... 27 ...... 398.45..... 105 ..... 158.1 .... 5 ...... 278.00
2005 ..... 58 ...... 360.64 ...... 86 .... 158.1 ..... 25 ...... 202.55
2006 ..... 2 ..... 468.08 ...... 4 ... .. 285.8 .. ..... 23 ... 182.33
2007 ...... 67 ... 356.91 ....... 90 ..... 156.3 .. 27 .. 200.64
2008 ...... 37 ..... 378.80 ..... 53 .... . 211.5 . 38 .. 167.30

kick off returns-114
punt return-107

EagleDawg
January 24th, 2009, 07:56 AM
kirkblitz - Ouch, I feel your pain bro! The GWU commit OL Harris was also looking at Coastal. From the sounds of it he made a good decision to go GWU. Team chemistry is key for any program and one that has discipline issues is sure to have problems with chemistry. Throw in concerns about Def and Off coordinator and wow that can be a mess. If you're a glass half full kind of person, I guess you can say that the only place to go from here is up. With Coastal's current problems, Liberty remains the team to beat but I see GWU, Stony Brook and CSU continuing to improve to make a run at the Flames. VMI and Presbyterian have work to do as well. Hang in there, things never are as bleak as they may seem.

EagleDawg
January 24th, 2009, 08:02 AM
BJuice - I know of your frustration. Each of the Big South Programs needs a dedicated school unaffiliated site to inform and enhance discussion of their programs news, recruiting, game day discussion, etc. AGS is a great site for the entire FCS discussion but other programs including all of the SOCON and a few of the Big South have these dedicated sites. They really help keep discussion going and interest up. I'm trying to get a little more discussion going for GWU on AGS because there is no GWU site as I described above. A good template for such a site can be found at Terriers.com for Wofford. Lots of good discussion over there.

CSUBUCDAD
January 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
i fully expect ccu to suck until about 2015 when we get a new coach

Don't tell me the Bennett worship is over already?

CSUBUCDAD
January 24th, 2009, 08:38 AM
This has been a major source of disappointment for me in the past and present. It is also an opportunity that I believe Charleston Southern does not take enough advantage of. There is not enough CSU recruiting info out there. IMO, announcing commitments is part of the process and it creates buzz, interest, and keeps the school's name and football program in the spotlight and in people's minds during the "offseason".

I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to find out any recruiting information on my CSU Buccaneers. I would like to know who we are looking at and who has committed to us.

I would love to join in on this discussion, but I guess I will just have to wait to see our class on signing day and watch to see who all of your schools are getting commitments from.

Here is a current list of CSU prospects that are either considering or that we are actively recruiting:

Greg Adams WR 5-8 155 Ridgeview H.S. (SC)
LaBris Adams WR 6-2 189 Northwestern H.S. SC)
Marlin Butler WR 6-3 191 Southside H.S. (SC)
Andrew Clifford QB 6-3 215 Wharton H.S. (FL)
Jackson Cooper WR 6-3 195 Williston-Elko H.S. SC)
Terrance Koen ILB 5-11 176 Riverdale Baptist H.S. (MD)
Taylor Trotter QB 5-10 160 Woodstock H.S. (GA)
Matthew Van Halanger OC 6-3 270 Prince Avenue Christian School (GA)
Miles Booth WR 6-1 185 Moorpark College (CA)

Youi can keep up with it here:
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/school?page=considering&season=2009&schoolId=2127&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fpage%3dconsider ing%26season%3d2009%26schoolId%3d2127

SuperJon
January 24th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Not sure if you were saying the school should do this, but they're not allowed to mention anything about recruiting until the player has signed an LOI.

EagleDawg
January 24th, 2009, 09:09 AM
SuperJon is right. The schools can't say anything related to identification of recruits. The recruits, their HS coaches, parents, friends, websites, etc. can confirm verbal commitments and provide player data. There of course is always unidentified sources that leak out info.

Sly Fox
January 24th, 2009, 11:51 AM
BJuice - I know of your frustration. Each of the Big South Programs needs a dedicated school unaffiliated site to inform and enhance discussion of their programs news, recruiting, game day discussion, etc. AGS is a great site for the entire FCS discussion but other programs including all of the SOCON and a few of the Big South have these dedicated sites. They really help keep discussion going and interest up. I'm trying to get a little more discussion going for GWU on AGS because there is no GWU site as I described above. A good template for such a site can be found at Terriers.com for Wofford. Lots of good discussion over there.

Every school in the league except G-W has a board. Obviously some have much more traffic and info than others. AdrianB does a solid job with his blog but it is tough for one guy to keep with recruiting in comparison to hundreds of fans.

EagleDawg
January 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
SlyFox - Could you do a guy a favor and post the links to the Boards for the Big South Schools, thanks! I saw a couple over on the Wofford site, Liberty, Coastal and Presbyterian I believe. What about the others, SBU, CSU, VMI?

kirkblitz
January 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Don't tell me the Bennett worship is over already?

ive never woshipped him, but i will tell u when your homecrowd boos u everyother game. yes it is over xrotatehx

CSUBUCDAD
January 24th, 2009, 01:18 PM
SlyFox - Could you do a guy a favor and post the links to the Boards for the Big South Schools, thanks! I saw a couple over on the Wofford site, Liberty, Coastal and Presbyterian I believe. What about the others, SBU, CSU, VMI?

http://chucksouthfans.com/viewforum.php?f=4

gobluehose1
January 24th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I believe I read on the PC board that those Byrnes commits may no longer be in the fold. Nichols has to be working it hard arriving so close to signing day.

as of last week they are still committed to PC

EagleDawg
January 26th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Any updates after the weekend for Big South commitments? Seems pretty quiet so far today. Would have expected some news from around the league.

CSUBUCDAD
January 26th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Southside standout WR/S Marlin Butler give his verbal commit to Chuck South this morning. 6'3" 191 with a 4.5 40 and hands that are unbelievable. Great pickup for the Bucs right out of the chute.

gobluehose1
January 26th, 2009, 01:28 PM
for PC:
OL Tim Fowler (6-3 270) of Conway, SC
shrine bowler

EagleDawg
January 27th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Updated Big South Commitment list as I currently understand it. If you know of others please feel free to update it.

Charleston Southern

Southside standout WR/S Marlin Butler give his verbal commit to Chuck South this morning. 6'3" 191 with a 4.5 40

Coastal Carolina

LB D'Juan Smith (6-0 200) of Douglas, GA, DL Donnie Owens (6-3 305) of Fayetteville, NC and DE Adrian McCollum of Dillon
Justin Trapp, a 6-0, 170 pound Ath. Fairfield Central HS,Winnsboro, South Carolina
Pat Worley, 6-3, 305 OL, North Carolina

Gardner-Webb

6'-2", 265 lbs.
6'-2", 260 lbs.
6'-1", 230 lbs.
6'-6", 285 lbs.
OL Jamie Dunaway of Byrnes HS, SC
6'-4", 270 lbs.
Nick Stone, DE Hillside HS, NC
6'-3", 236 lbs.
Zack Shelton DL, Marietta High School,GA
6'1", 239lbs]

Liberty

Presbyterian

Stony Brook

Casey Callahan, Armwood, LB, 6-1, 210

VMI

EagleDawg
January 27th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Based on a post on the Gardner Webb recruiting thread, Jaime Dunaway OL, Byrnes HS, SC has decommitted from Presbyterian and committed to GWU. Go Dawgs.

kirkblitz
January 27th, 2009, 10:27 PM
CCU got

http://scvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=91191

Justin Trapp 3*

Commodore fans meet Justin Trapp, a 6-0, 170 pound athlete from out of Fairfield Central High School, located in Winnsboro, South Carolina. Trapp is without question, an extremely gifted athlete who is capable of lining up at various positions on the field. Trapp primarily lined up under center for the Griffins last fall, and made quite an impression to say the very least. “Last fall, I threw for over 1000 yards, and rushed for close to 1000 yards,” Trapp told VandyMania.com. “I threw like 25 touchdown passes and scored 13 rushing touchdowns.”

After such a remarkable senior season, the ’09 star went on to receive a number of awards and accolades. “I was honored as the best back in AAA football for the state of South Carolina,” Trapp said. “I made the All-Region Team, and was named to the All-State Team. I was also selected to play in the Shrine Bowl.

http://thesunnews.typepad.com/preptalk/2009/01/area-prep-standout-chooses-coastal-carolina.html

Pat Worley

Worley, a 6-foot-3, 305-pound Shrine Bowl selection, said he could end up playing anywhere on the offensive line, though the coaching staff believes he best fits at guard.

EagleDawg
January 28th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Any recruiting updates for CSU, VMI and Stony Brook. Things are picking up with a few new commitments for CCU and GWU. Big news for Liberty to hang on to Malcolm Boyd, OL and not lose him to App. State. Liberty and Gardner Webb have received some strong OL commitments so far.

Hoseinexile07
January 28th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Based on a post on the Gardner Webb recruiting thread, Jaime Dunaway OL, Byrnes HS, SC has decommitted from Presbyterian and committed to GWU. Go Dawgs.

Yeah, that's unfortunate for us. We need good linemen. Overall, that area was our Achilles' heel last season.

CSUBUCDAD
January 28th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Any recruiting updates for CSU, VMI and Stony Brook. Things are picking up with a few new commitments for CCU and GWU. Big news for Liberty to hang on to Malcolm Boyd, OL and not lose him to App. State. Liberty and Gardner Webb have received some strong OL commitments so far.
Still just the one verbal for Chuck South to date.

Sly Fox
January 28th, 2009, 01:01 PM
The Flames did lose JUCO RB Alex Green to Hawaii over the weekend

CSUBUCDAD
January 28th, 2009, 02:19 PM
The Flames did lose JUCO RB Alex Green to Hawaii over the weekend

Ouch, that sucks for you guys. Tough to watch a good 3 star prospect jump ship on you.

Sly Fox
January 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
On the Recruiting Front: Kevin Fogg picks Liberty
Submitted by jmikeblake on 01/27/2009 - 23:14

While at the Apex-Middle Creek basketball game Tuesday night, I ran into Apex football coach Bob Wolfe. It's always good to see coach Wolfe, especially when he has some good news to share.

Like how his running back Kevin Fogg has committed to Liberty University this past weekend.

Fogg had made an official visit to the school in November. He had also been considering Presbyterian and Elon.

Click Here for Full Story (http://blogs.newsobserver.com/swakesports/on-the-recruiting-front-kevin-fogg-picks-liberty)

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/KEVINFOGG4_28150.JPG
Kevin Fogg
5' 9" 157 lbs Running Back
Raleigh (NC) Apex HS

http://images.berecruited.com/photos/athletes/medium/84265474.jpg

http://images.berecruited.com/photos/athletes/large/47853946.jpg

SuperJon
January 28th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Ouch, that sucks for you guys. Tough to watch a good 3 star prospect jump ship on you.

Especially when he bails without even telling the coaching staff, lying to them the entire process.

I hate when kids back out of verbals, mainly because I hate wishing a kid breaks his ankles.

EagleDawg
January 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Updated Big South Commitment list as I currently understand it. If you know of others please feel free to update it.

Charleston Southern

Southside standout WR/S Marlin Butler give his verbal commit to Chuck South this morning. 6'3" 191 with a 4.5 40

Coastal Carolina

Justin Trapp, a 6-0, 170 pound Ath. Fairfield Central HS,Winnsboro, South Carolina
Michael Boydston, 5'-11", 185 lb | S #222 Walton HS, Marietta, GA

Gardner-Webb

6'-2", 265 lbs.
6'-2", 260 lbs.
6'-1", 230 lbs.
6'-6", 285 lbs.
6'-4", 270 lbs.
6'-3", 236 lbs.
Zack Shelton DL, Marietta High School,GA
6'1", 239lbs]

Liberty

Chase Barnett - 5-7 175 lbs. - Stafford, VA

Presbyterian

Stony Brook

VMI

QB Adam Morgan (5-11 180) Dinwiddie, VA

Redwyn
January 30th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Not sure if this was touched upon already, but the ESPN recruitment site for Stony Brook is a bit screwed up. The interest list is for Eastern Washington, not SBU. Got excited for a bit when I saw a pretty decent safety on the commitment list. Delved a bit deeper and figured it out xnonox

kirkblitz
January 30th, 2009, 06:14 PM
verbal

Michael Boydston | S

Hometown: Marietta, GA
Walton High School
Position rank: S # 222
Ht: 5'11" Wt: 185

kirkblitz
February 1st, 2009, 09:39 PM
6-foot-5, 315-pound
Jamey Cheatwood
OL

EagleDawg
February 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM

Charleston Southern

Coastal Carolina

Michael Boydston, 5'-11", 185 lb | S #222 Walton HS, Marietta, GA
Jamey Cheatwood, 6-5, 315, SC

Gardner-Webb

6'-2", 265 lbs.
6'-2", 260 lbs.
6'-1", 230 lbs.
6'-4", 270 lbs.
6'-3", 236 lbs.
Courtney Roundtree, LB
Tra'ves Bush LB

Liberty

Chase Barnett - 5-7 175 lbs. - Stafford, VA

Presbyterian

Stony Brook

VMI

QB Adam Morgan (5-11 180) Dinwiddie, VA

bodoyle
February 2nd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Tavorris Jolly 5'11 180 CB
Pat Worley 6'3 305 OL
Jamey Cheatwood 6'5 315 OL
Donnie Owens 6'3 305 DL
Adrian McCollum 6'3 245 DL
Nigel Charles 6'2 225 DE
D'Juan Smith 6'0 200 LB
Michael Boydston 5'11 190 RB
Justin Trapp 6'0 180 ATH

EagleDawg
February 4th, 2009, 01:28 PM
Charleston Southern, Coastal Carolina and Liberty signees have been initially posted here on AGS. Waiting on Gardner Webb, Presbyterian,Stony Brook and VMI to round out the conference signees for today. Hope these other schools get their stuff out soon. It's hard being patient!!xnodxxnodxxnodx

kirkblitz
February 4th, 2009, 02:30 PM
Tae Benson DB Fr. 5-11 180 Savannah, Ga./Windsor Forest

Michael Boydston ATH Fr. 5-11 190 Marietta, Ga./Walton
Georgia Sports Writers Association First Team Class AAAAA All-State selection while also earning Honorable Mention Class AAAAA All-State honors from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Georgia Football Magazine/Georgiafb.com... Also selected as Score Prep Cobb County Player of the Year, 790 AM Running Back of the Year and All-County honoree... As a senior had 303 carries for a school-record 1,859 yards (6.1 ypc) and 25 touchdowns, even with missing most of the team's final playoff game... Recorded 169.0 rushing yards per game with a long of 71 yards... Had 29 rushes for a season-high 335 yards, one of two 300-yard games of the year, in a 42-14 win over Alpharetta...Rated "63" by ESPN... Was a four-year letterwinner in high school... Also a member of the Society of High School Scholars... Born in Germany during the Gulf War... Selected Coastal Carolina over Chattanooga.

Jamey Cheatwood OL Fr. 6-5 310 Boiling Springs, S.C./Boiling Springs

Kaleb Dees OL Fr. 6-5 295 Laurens, S.C./Laurens

Logan Hall QB Fr. 6-1 193 Gray Court, S.C./Laurens
All Region 1-AAAA selection at quarterback as a senior after leading the Raiders to an 11-3 mark and a berth in the state semifinals... Was 127-for-228 for 2,119 yards, 17 touchdowns and just nine interceptions... ad a season-high 288 yards of passing in the final game of the year in the state semifinals against South Pointe... Had three games of 200 yards of passing or more his senior year... Also had 97 carries for 180 yards and three touchdowns... Had 62 for 1,973 yards (31.8 average) with a long of 46 and 16 punts inside the 20.

Cody Hayes OL Fr. 6-5 255 Conway, S.C./Conway
Helped the Tigers to an 11-2 record and region title this season... Was one of the leaders of Conway's berth in the playoffs before being upset in the second round by Laurens and future teammates Kaleb Dees and Logan Hall, both Coastal Carolina signees this year... Helped tailback Seth Moreland rush for 1,376 yards this year at Conway.

Drew Herring OL Fr. 6-3 320 Myrtle Beach, S.C./Carolina Forest
Was injured most of his senior season... Was one of the High School Sports Report's South Carolina Top 110 rising seniors heading into this year before the injury... As a junior played center and helped lead the Panthers on their second most successful season in school history at 7-4 accompanied by a playoff berth in Class AAA.

Johnnie Houston CB Fr. 6-0 200 Greenville, S.C./Woodmont
Played defensive back and quarterback at Woodmont... Led the Wildcats to an 8-4 mark and the second round of the playoffs his final season, earning a spot on the All-County Team from the Greenville Touchdown Club... As a senior passed for more than 1,000 yards and 10 touchdowns, ran for 10 scores, caught three touchdown passes and added seven interceptions defensively... Ran 4.3 in the 40-yard dash at the Tusculum combine... Also experienced at kick and punt returns.

Matt Johnson DL Fr. 6-2 275 Columbia, S.C./Keenan
Named to represent South Carolina in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas... Second Team All-State and the Class 2A Area Defensive Player of the Year according to The State... Helped Keenan post its first winning season in 14 years, a 7-4 mark... Totaled 19.5 sacks in his senior season at defensive end after having started the previous three years on the interior of the defensive line... Also was a wrestler at Keenan.

Tarvorris Jolly* DB R-Jr. 5-11 180 Shelby, N.C./Shelby (North Carolina)
Prior to Coastal Carolina: Played two years at North Carolina... Recorded just one tackle in 2008... In 2007 played in eight games, primarily on special teams, and as a backup cornerback... Saw action on a season-high 38 snaps vs. Miami... Finished the season with nine tackles, including seven solo stops and two assists... Had a career-high three tackles vs. Miami and at Wake Forest... Posted one tackle vs. James Madison and two stops vs. Duke... High School: Named to the North Carolina Associated Press All-State team as an athlete... SuperPrep's 22nd-ranked player in North Carolina... Ranked the No. 41 running back in the country and the No. 24 player in North Carolina by Rivals.com... Considered the No. 24 player in North Carolina by The Charlotte Observer... Member of North Carolina's Shrine Bowl team... Rushed for 87 yards and a touchdown and was named MVP in Shelby's 26-18 victory over Reidsville in the 2-AA state title game... Four-year starter at running back and defensive back... Rushed for 1,331 yards on 182 carries and scored 16 touchdowns as a senior... Also returned 10 punts for 168 yards and a touchdown and seven kickoffs for 252 yards and a score... Had 52 tackles, five interceptions and returned one for a touchdown... Rushed for 981 yards and 10 touchdowns and had 13 receptions for 254 yards and a touchdown as a junior.

Arthur (A.J.) Kelley DE Fr. 6-2 235 Letohatchee, Ala./Carver
Earned Honorable Mention Class AAAAA All-state Selection by the Alabama Sports Writers Association and First Team Class 5A/6A All-Metro from the Montgomery Advertiser as a senior... Led the Wolverines to a 13-1 record, Region title and berth in the state semifinals... Ranked third in his region with 74 total tackles and 15 tackles for loss and ranked second with eight sacks last year... Valedictorian of his graduating class... Nominated for the Jimmy Hitchcock Award in the state of Alabama, given to one football player every year for their athletic ability and Christian leadership.

Sammie Kennedy WR Fr. 6-2 190 Moore, S.C./Spartanburg Dorman
Had 12 catches for 141 yards and one touchdown, helping Dorman to the 4A Division I state semifinals.

Adrian McCollum DL Fr. 6-3 245 Little Rock, S.C./Dillon
Honored on the High School Sports Report Statewide All-State squad as well as a WPDE All-Zone selection after leading the Wildcats to the 2A State Championship... Recorded 89 tackles and four sacks his senior year... Also named All-Region VIII-AA for his play on the offensive line his senior year... Nicknamed "Squeaky".

Will Middleton TE Fr. 6-5 245 Acworth, Ga./Kell
Posted 14 catches for 121 yards and two touchdowns his senior year, earning a place on the Cobb County Touchdown Club's All County Team... Was selected to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's The Georgia 150 this season... Rated two stars by Rivals.com... Also played linebacker on the defensive side of the ball where he recorded 47 total tackles (21 solos), six tackles for loss, three sacks, three pass breakupss, one fumble recovery and two forced fumbles.. Played quarterback during his freshman and sophomore seasons... Chose Coastal Carolina over Ohio, Indiana, Louisville, Rutgers and Marshall.

Donnie Owens DL Fr. 6-2 285 Fayetteville, N.C./Douglas Byrd
Played on the interior of the defensive line where he posted 126 total tackles (67 solos), 36 tackles for loss, nine sacks, one interception, one fumble recovery and one blocked kick... Had six games with 10 or more tackles, including a pair with a season-high 12 tackles... Also ranked third on the squad in scoring with eight touchdowns and three two-point conversions as a fullback... Finished with 28 carries and 126 yards on the year... Helped Douglas Byrd into a berth in the Class 4-A State Championship game and a 12-4 record on the season.

D'Juan Smith LB Fr. 5-11 200 Broxton, Ga./Coffee
Led the Trojans to a 9-4 mark and a berth in the state playoffs his senior season, earning First Team All-Region 1-AAAAA... Is also one of the top basketball players at Coffee, helping the squad to a 10-1 mark in league play and the No. 1 seed in the upcoming regional basketball tournament... Recorded 119 tackles (83 assisted), five sacks, four fumble recoveries, two interceptions and one punt block.

Justin Trapp WR Fr. 6-0 175 Blair, S.C./Fairfield Central
Named the top back in Class AAA by the South Carolina Football Coaches Association and Honorable Mention All-State by The State and High School Sports Report... Selected to play for the South Carolina team in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas, where he had more than 70 yards receiving on four catches while playing wide receiver... Led the Griffins to a 9-3 mark his senior year as well as a berth in the playoffs... Will also play baseball for the Chanticleers, as he is a highly-regarded player on the diamond... Selected Coastal Carolina over Appalachian State, Presbyterian and Vanderbilt... Comes from same high school as former Chanticleer and current Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen.

Pat Worley OL Fr. 6-3 310 Tabor City, N.C./South Columbus
Member of the North Carolina squad in the 2008 Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas... Played on both the offensive and defensive lines in high school... Helped the Stallions rack up 11,152 total yards of total offense in his final two seasons... Joins former high school teammate Andrae Jacobs on the Chanticleer roster.
http://goccusports.com/?news=5054
Best class in the big south!!!xpeacex

luflame15
February 4th, 2009, 08:52 PM
I think the Big South has some great recruiters at its respective schools to put together some nice classes.

EagleDawg
February 4th, 2009, 09:03 PM
LuFlame15 - I agree with you. The classes put together so far have depth and quality. Haven't seen anything much yet on VMI or Stony Brook but the other schools seem to have done pretty well and in some cases are not yet finished.

Redwyn
February 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Just thought I'd post it. Some pretty impressive guys coming in next year!

"Stony Brook University head football coach Chuck Priore has announced a 2009 recruiting class of 25 players that will be taking the field next fall for the Seawolves. Stony Brook is coming off its first season as a member of the Big South Conference, finishing in second-place with a 3-2 conference record. This is the fourth recruiting class for Priore, who saw his team win four of its last five games in 2008 and finish ninth in the nation in rushing offense.

"With the combination of losing the number of seniors we had and our increase to the full 63 scholarships for an FCS program, we were able to examine our program and take care of our needs from the bottom up," remarked Priore. "We have been able to plug in some players in January to help our immediate needs as well as bringing in a group of freshmen that will be very important to the class."

Stony Brook's class includes eight players that are already enrolled at SBU and will participate in spring practice in preparation for the fall season. The Seawolves picked up the majority of their class from California, with 10 of the players on the list hailing from the West Coast. Four players from the local New York area have also committed to Stony Brook, along with three each from Pennsylvania and New Jersey, two from Florida and one each from Connecticut, Massachusetts and Texas.

"Having the full scholarships this year helped us to bring in a real freshman class for the first time," said Priore. "Now we can start redshirting some kids and get some fifth-year players in our program. That was a major thought in our recruiting process this year. Now we can take a player that we can project into the future and not necessarily have them be an impact player right away. We can allow our strength and conditioning program to put them in position to be a great player."

Stony Brook 2009 Football Signing Class
Name Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown (High School/Previous School)
Brett Arce TE 6-4 240 Coalinga, Calif. (Coalinga/West Hills Coll.)
Michael Bamiro* OL 6-8 345 Tobyhanna, Pa. (Pocono Mountain West)
Matt Brevi WR 6-2 210 Tampa, Fla. (Armwood/Ft. Hays State)
Casey Callahan LB 5-11 220 Tampa, Fla. (Armwood)
Myles Campbell WR 5-11 170 Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. (John Muir)
Frank Conti* DL 6-1 250 Lake Grove, N.Y. (Sachem North/Nassau CC)
Michael Coulter* QB 6-1 205 Yorba Linda, Calif. (El Dorado/Santa Ana Coll.)
Brian Crew* OL 6-4 320 Galt, Calif. (Galt/Sacramento City Coll.)
Drew Evangelvista K/P 5-10 175 Cedar Grove, N.J. (Cedar Grove)
Julio Geronimo DL 6-2 279 East Orange, N.J. (East Orange)
Cameron Hall* WR 6-5 210 Laguna Hills, Calif. (Laguna Hills/Orange Coast Coll.)
Scott Hernandez OL 6-6 322 Fort Worth, Texas (Juan Seguin)
Taj Johnson DB 5-10 179 Upland, Calif. (Upland)
Elias Martinez DL 6-5 244 Long Beach, Calif. (Millikan)
Eddie Mateo RB 5-9 193 Bethlehem, Pa. (Freedom)
Chris McMillan WR 6-5 185 New York, N.Y. (Bishop Ford)
Major Mobley WR 5-11 165 Mt. Laurel, N.J. (Cherokee)
Adam Nowak LB 6-2 220 Philadelphia, Pa. (Father Judge)
Vincent Polo RB 5-11 161 Wantagh, N.Y. (Wantagh)
Alex Probasco* DL 6-2 250 Manhattan Beach, Calif. (Mira Costa)
Craig Richardson* LB 6-1 236 Revere, Mass. (Malden Catholic)
Ian Solomon OL 6-2 316 New Rochelle, N.Y. (New Rochelle)
Kenny Tuiloma LB 5-10 227 Long Beach, Calif. (Long Beach Polytechnic)
Rich Vitale LB 5-8 176 Higganum, Conn. (New London)
Phillip Vournazos* OL 6-2 290 Buena Park, Calif. (Western/Long Beach City Coll.)
* Already enrolled at Stony Brook

Brett Arce TE 6-4 240 Coalinga, Calif. (Coalinga/West Hills Coll.)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played one season as a tight end at West Hills College. High School: A 2007 graduate of Coalinga High School ... three-time letterwinner for the Horned Toads ... first team all-state as a senior ... first team All-Fresno ... named first team all-conference on both offense and defense ... also lettered four times in basketball and twice in baseball.

Michael Bamiro OL 6-8 345 Tobyhanna, Pa. (Pocono Mountain West)
Prior to Stony Brook: Attended the University of Pittsburgh for a year but did not play football. High School: A 2008 graduate of Pocono Mountain West High School in Pennsylvania ... earned one letter as a lineman for the Panthers ... honorable mention all-conference ... team captain as a senior ... 22 tackles as a senior ... helped lead his team to an 8-2 record and a top-50 ranking in the state ... also lettered in track.

Matt Brevi WR 6-2 210 Tampa, Fla. (Armwood/Ft. Hays State)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played one season at the Fort Hayes State University in Kansas ... caught 34 passes for 397 yards ... also returned 13 kicks for 366 yards. High School: A 2006 graduate of Armwood High School ... two letters in football for the Hawks ... all-state, all-district and all-county selection ... had six returns for touchdowns as a senior ... helped his team to a pair of state championships.

Casey Callahan LB 5-11 220 Tampa, Fla. (Armwood)
High School: A 2009 graduate of Armwood High School ... three-year letterwinner in football for the Hawks ... linebacker award ... helped his team to a No. 3 ranking in the state as a senior ... also lettered in track ... honor society.

Myles Campbell WR 5-11 170 Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. (John Muir)
High School: A 2009 graduate of John Muir High School in Pasadena, California ... three-time letterwinner in football for the Mustangs ... first team All-CIF as a senior ... first team all-area ... first team All-Pacific League ... 45 receptions for 870 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior ... also rushed for 200 yards ... 20 catches for 500 yards and three scores as a junior ... also lettered in track and field (four times) and basketball (twice) ... team captain as a senior.

Frank Conti DL 6-1 250 Lake Grove, N.Y. (Sachem North/Nassau CC)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played two seasons at Nassau Community College ... earned letters in both seasons. High School: A 2006 graduate of Sachem North Union High School ... all-league selection and team captain as a senior ... also lettered in track and wrestling.

Redwyn
February 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Michael Coulter QB 6-1 205 Yorba Linda, Calif. (El Dorado/Santa Ana Coll.)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played one season at Santa Ana College ... threw for over 1,600 yards and 10 scores ... was also on the team at Syracuse in 2007 but did not play. High School: A 2007 graduate of El Dorado High School ... four-year letterwinner in football ... team captain as a senior ... All-CIF selection ... threw for 28 touchdowns vs. four interceptions as a senior ... league offensive player of the year ... all-league pick ... helped his team to a CIF state championship ... named the Hawk of the Year at his high school.

Brian Crew OL 6-4 320 Galt, Calif. (Galt/Sacramento City Coll.)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played two seasons at Sacramento City College ... all-conference selection as a sophomore. High School: A 2007 graduate of Galt High School ... three-time letterwinner ... all-league as a junior ... also lettered in track ... all-league selection in that sport as well.

Drew Evangelvista K/P 5-10 175 Cedar Grove, N.J. (Cedar Grove)
High School: Will graduate this year from Cedar Grove High School ... four-time letterwinner for the Panthers ... first team All-Essex County by the Star Ledger as a kicker ... first team all-state in Group 1 as a defender ... third team all-state in all groups ... three-time first team all-conference kicker ... NJFCA Super 100 ... helped his team to a state championship as a junior ... four-time letterwinner in baseball ... one letter in basketball ... National Honor Society ... Spanish National Honor Society ... high honor roll.

Julio Geronimo DL 6-2 279 East Orange, N.J. (East Orange)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of East Orange High School ... three letters in football for the Jaguars ... third team all-state pick as a senior ... totaled 66 tackles and seven sacks as a senior ... first team All-Essex County, first team all-conference and first team all-group ... second team all-county, conference and group as a junior ... helped his team to a state championship in 2007 ... team captain as a senior.

Cameron Hall WR 6-5 210 Laguna Hills, Calif. (Laguna Hills/Orange Coast Coll.)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played two seasons at Orange Coast College in California ... as a sophomore he caught 51 passes for 800 yards and six touchdowns. High School: A 2007 graduate of Laguna Hills High School ... lettered three times in football... first team All-CIF ... first team all-conference ... two time offensive MVP of the team ... 53 receptions for 855 yards and 12 touchdowns as a senior ... also lettered in basketball and track.

Scott Hernandez OL 6-6 322 Fort Worth, Texas (Juan Seguin)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Juan Seguin High School ... three-time letterwinner in football for the Cougars ... second team all-district as a senior ... team's offensive lineman of the year in 2007 ... recorded more than 25 pancake blocks as a senior ... team captain as a senior ... also lettered in track.

Taj Johnson DB 5-10 179 Upland, Calif. (Upland)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Upland High School ... three letters in football for the Highlanders ... first team All-CIF and second team all-league ... totals 40 tackles with a pair of interceptions ... 13 receptions for 250 yards and four scores on offense ... second team all-league as a junior.

Elias Martinez DL 6-5 244 Long Beach, Calif. (Millikan)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Millikan High School in Long Beach, California ... earned three letters in football for the Rams ... first team all-league as a senior ... coaches award ... also lettered in basketball three times ... Principal's Honor Roll.

Eddie Mateo RB 5-9 193 Bethlehem, Pa. (Freedom)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Freedom High School ... lettered his only season at Freedom ... first team all-area and first team AAAA all-state ... rushed for 1,692 yards and 21 touchdowns ... also lettered twice in football at Bethlehem Catholic ... as a junior there rushed for 1,175 yards and 14 scores ... also lettered in basketball and track.

Chris McMillan WR 6-5 185 New York, N.Y. (Bishop Ford)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Bishop Ford High School ... three varsity letters in football for the Falcons ... all-league in 2008 ... second team all-city ... as a senior caught 50 passes for 620 yards and six touchdowns ... also picked up 100 yards rushing ... captained the team twice.

Major Mobley WR 5-11 165 Mt. Laurel, N.J. (Cherokee)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Cherokee High School ... four-time letterwinner in football at quarterback for the Chiefs ... all-conference selection ... second team all-county ... passed for 890 yards and five scores while rushing for 700 yards and six scores ... also lettered three times in track.

Adam Nowak LB 6-2 220 Philadelphia, Pa. (Father Judge)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Father Judge High School ... earned three football letters for the Crusaders ... Philadelphia Catholic League Defensive Player of the Year ... 85 tackles, six sacks and three interceptions ... first team All-City ... first team All-Philadelphia Catholic League ... first team All-Southeast Pennsylvania ... had 32 catches on offense for 550 yards ... team captain as a senior.

Vincent Polo RB 5-11 161 Wantagh, N.Y. (Wantagh)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Wantagh High School ... three-time letterwinner for the Warriors ... second team All-Long Island as a senior ... two-time all-county pick ... rushed for 1,600 yards and 19 touchdowns as a senior ... totaled 1,000 yards on the ground as a junior ... also lettered in lacrosse ... captained both the football and lacrosse teams ... National Honor Society.

Alex Probasco DL 6-2 250 Manhattan Beach, Calif. (Mira Costa)
Prior to Stony Brook: Attended Santa Monica College for two years but did not play football. High School: A 2007 graduate of Mira Costa High School ... team captain ... first team All-CIF as a senior ... all-league selection ... 85 solo tackles with 5.5 sacks as a senior ... on offense ran for 10 touchdowns.

Craig Richardson LB 6-1 236 Revere, Mass. (Malden Catholic)
Prior to Stony Brook: Attended Bridgton Academy in Maine ... Coach's Award. High School: A 2008 graduate Malden Catholic High School ... three letters in football for the Lancers ... two-time Catholic Conference all-star ... team MVP in 2007 ... 147 tackles and four sacks as a senior ... defensive MVP of the Shriners All-Star game in 2008 ... .totaled over 200 tackles in three seasons ... also lettered in basketball and wrestling.

Ian Solomon OL 6-2 316 New Rochelle, N.Y. (New Rochelle)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of New Rochelle High School ... three-time letterwinner in football for the Huguenots ... first team all-state in Class AA as a senior ... two-time all-section, all-league and all-county ... 54 pancake blocks as a senior ... 47 as a junior ... helped lead his team to the state semifinals twice ... also lettered in hockey.

Kenny Tuiloma LB 5-10 227 Long Beach, Calif. (Long Beach Polytechnic)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of Long Beach Polytechnic High School ... three-time letterwinner in football for the Jack Rabbits ... second team all-league as a senior ... 105 tackles, three fumble recoveries, two forced fumbles and an interception ... most outstanding linebacker ... helped to back-to-back state championships his junior and senior seasons ... team captain as a senior.

Rich Vitale LB 5-8 176 Higganum, Conn. (New London)
High School: Will be a 2009 graduate of the Science & Technology Magnet School of New London High School ... four-year starter for the Whalers ... New London Day and Norwich Bulletin Player of the Year ... New Haven Register all-state team on defense ... Class SS all-state on offense ... totaled 149 tackles, nine sacks and five interceptions as a linebacker ... rushed for 2,024 yards and 24 touchdowns on offense ... MVP of the state championship game, gaining 304 yards and making 14 stops as New London claimed the state crown ... all-area pick ... New Haven Register all-state team on defense as a junior ... 130 tackles and five sacks that season ... Class S all-state team and all-area.

Phillip Vournazos OL 6-2 290 Buena Park, Calif. (Western/Long Beach City Coll.)
Prior to Stony Brook: Played for two years at Long Beach City College. High School: A 2007 graduate of Western High School ... twice named first team All-Orange League as an offensive lineman ... second team All-Orange League as a defensive lineman as a junior.

Seawolf97
February 5th, 2009, 07:50 PM
More good news is that our Endowment Fund has now exceeded 300 million dollars as announced on Feb. 4th. The Fund is 312.1 million-Nice! 40% was donated by Alums and the remainder by benefactors with deep pockets.

kirkblitz
February 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
i think our endowment is like 20million, it lose like 30% this year.

Seawolf97
February 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM
StonyBrook has added 2 more signees as of today.

Tyree Mills DB 6'1 180lbs John Muir HS Passadena Ca.
Peace Edafe RB 5'11 205 lbs Staten Island NY
Both are true freshmen and brings our number of signees to 27 .

Uncle Buck
February 7th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Wow, SBU is racking up the signees. This has to be the biggest class I can recall. Looks like a solid group with a wide base.

Seawolf97
February 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Wow, SBU is racking up the signees. This has to be the biggest class I can recall. Looks like a solid group with a wide base.

We lost 21 players to graduation so they had to replaced. Add to that getting to
63 scholarships . Yes 27 recruits is large as our 340 lbs lineman we picked up-that I like!