PDA

View Full Version : Here comes CAA football

ChickenMan
April 29th, 2005, 10:35 AM
From an article out of today's Baltimore Sun...

Towson, 11 other A-10 teams joining CAA for football in '07

Originally published April 29, 2005

Towson University and the 11 other members of the Atlantic 10 football conference are moving to the Colonial Athletic Association beginning with the 2007 season in a switch that is little more than a name change, several league sources said yesterday.

The official announcement of the move that features the addition of football to the CAA for the first time in the 20-year history of the league is expected to be made Wednesday.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/football/bal-sp.digesttop29apr29,1,1690522.story?coll=bal-college-football&ctrack=1&cset=true

henfan
April 29th, 2005, 11:03 AM
It's very possible that the CAA start date could advance to Sept. 2006, though that announcement may not come next Wednesday.

polsongrizz
April 29th, 2005, 11:06 AM
What is the purpose for this move?/ Is it $$$ related or just a name change? I don't get it.

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 11:10 AM
CAA wants to be an all sport conference. Because many A-10 football members are already in the CAA for other sports, they would have jumped to CAA Football with or without the other teams. The A-10 football experience has been good for all and everyone wants to stay together.

ChickenMan
April 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM
What is the purpose for this move?/ Is it $$$ related or just a name change? I don't get it.

CAA officials... already having six A10 1AA scools as all-sports members of their league... were understandably annyoned that the A10 was receiving all the exposure (little as it may have been) that those CAA member schools were generating as the result of 1AA football. No doubt they were less than trilled to see CAA schools like JMU and UD playing on national TV... while wearing those A10 patches on their uniforms.

polsongrizz
April 29th, 2005, 11:41 AM
CAA officials... already having six A10 1AA scools as all-sports members of their league... were understandably annyoned that the A10 was receiving all the exposure (little as it may have been) that those CAA member schools were generating as the result of 1AA football. No doubt they were less than trilled to see CAA schools like JMU and UD playing on national TV... while wearing those A10 patches on their uniforms.
I guess that would be enough to rile one up :) So is this move welcomed or not from a fans point of view?

Tribe4SF
April 29th, 2005, 11:46 AM
It's welcomed. Consensus seems to be that we were sort of a sideline for the A-10. Damn successful, but not their focus.

ChickenMan
April 29th, 2005, 11:49 AM
I guess that would be enough to rile one up :) So is this move welcomed or not from a fans point of view?

In reality... it's just a name change... so I doubt that fans will have strong feelings one way or another. We've been down this road before... as all the old "Yankee" conference members became A10 football schools after that league disbanded in '96.

henfan
April 29th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Delaware wanted it... enough said.

Look at Ralph, anticipating MainerJeff's response.

GannonFan
April 29th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Look at Ralph, anticipating MainerJeff's response.

Maybe MJ and Ralph really are one in the same and the truth is only coming out now???? :eek:

umassfan
April 29th, 2005, 04:48 PM
I am not in favor of it BUT ill accept it. Guess we have to deal wit it until something better comes along.