PDA

View Full Version : The Genius of the North Dakota Legislature

Thunderstruck84
January 20th, 2009, 06:45 PM
The fact that I don't know if this should go in the Political Forum or FCS Discussion just illustrates how sad it is:

http://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/61-2009/bill-text/JBSV0100.pdf

Annual football game required. The university of North Dakota and the North Dakota state university of agriculture and applied science shall schedule and play an annual national collegiate athletic association football game against each other on an alternating home and home basis pursuant to a schedule to be agreed upon by the athletic directors of each institution.

Why is the state legislature getting involved in this? And if it's warranted, why not 5 years ago? It took the ND Board of Higher Education a year before even beginning to name a committee to look into resolutions to UND's nickname issue yet this legislation comes during the first legislative session after UND has been D1, that makes a lot of sense.

Anyone else think this is borderline ridiculous?

Franks Tanks
January 20th, 2009, 06:47 PM
The fact that I don't know if this should go in the Political Forum or FCS Discussion just illustrates how sad it is:

Why is the state legislature getting involved in this? And if it's warranted, why not 5 years ago? It took the ND Board of Higher Education a year before even beginning to name a committee to look into resolutions to UND's nickname issue yet this legislation comes during the first legislative session after UND has been D1, that makes a lot of sense.

somewhat, but both schools draw a significant amount of $ from the state and the state gets to poke around in the affairs of public universities.

WileECoyote06
January 20th, 2009, 07:04 PM
somewhat, but both schools draw a significant amount of $ from the state and the state gets to poke around in the affairs of public universities.

Welcome to the club. South Carolina government makes USC and Clemson play in-state FCS schools. North Carolina General Assembly forced East Carolina and NC State to renew their rivalry, and forced UNC to schedule ECU.

coover
January 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Re: "hmm . . anybody want a southeastern school with a rabid traveling football fanbase in your conference? We have a pretty good band, and our jerseys are nice. The MEAC don't want us, so make an offer."

The Great West needs a 6th. It already ranges from California to the Dakotas. Why not Coast to Coast?

Syntax Error
January 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
Anyone else think this is borderline ridiculous?No. Good idea considering the interest in the game statewide and the amount of money the state has vested in it.

TonkaBison
January 20th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Now living in Minnesota and having to deal with all the ridiculous BS I have seen coming out of the Senate race as well as the legislature here I was greatly discouraged by this thinking that the ND legislature had sunk to the same levels. Thankfully after reading the Sioux message boards it looks like reasonable heads are prevailing and asking why the legislature is spending time on this in the first place? Let the schools figure it out for themselves seems to be the response. There is hope for government people there is hope!

Syntax Error
January 20th, 2009, 07:58 PM
... it looks like reasonable heads are prevailing ... Let the schools figure it out for themselves...They have done a great job of it so far, right??? xlolx

TonkaBison
January 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM
They have done a great job of it so far, right??? xlolx

Well a UND fan I know pointed out the obvious "I hoped they voted their pay raise in first before dealing with this!" Greed does come before loyalty to your alma mater!!! xlolx

Thunderstruck84
January 20th, 2009, 08:08 PM
No. Good idea considering the interest in the game statewide and the amount of money the state has vested in it.
The legislature shouldn't care if NDSU and UND schedules each other or Sam Houston or Idaho St, it doesn't effect the money invested by the state one iota. Again, if this was such a good idea why wasn't it done 5 years ago?

Syntax Error
January 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
The legislature shouldn't care if NDSU and UND schedules each other or Sam Houston or Idaho St, it doesn't effect the money invested by the state one iota. Again, if this was such a good idea why wasn't it done 5 years ago?NODAK and NDSU are the 2 D-I schools in the State (SHSU and ISU are in a different states).

Why wasn't it done 5 years ago you ask? Because they "let the schools figure it out for themselves..."

TonkaBison
January 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
NODAK and NDSU are the 2 D-I schools in the State (SHSU and ISU are in a different states).

Why wasn't it done 5 years ago you ask? Because they "let the schools figure it out for themselves..."

And what has changed now 6 years later?

Thunderstruck84
January 20th, 2009, 08:34 PM
NODAK and NDSU are the 2 D-I schools in the State (SHSU and ISU are in a different states).

My point is having SHSU or ISU isn't going to hurt the university financially over playing UND (from NDSU's perspective).

We're just going to have to agree to disagree on that 2nd point. If you ask me the reason why it wasn't done 5 years ago was because NDSU's D1 move was not looked upon favorably by most of the state. I think the school's are going to play again but I understand the stance of the athletic administration at NDSU who had to go through the same scheduling nightmare that UND is going through now.

What's good for the goose is not necessarily good for the gander in this case. The Bison have no problem scheduling with 8 conference games to fill the schedule. In fact with only 3 nonconference spots most seasons this legislation would either tie NDSU's hands when it comes to signing home and homes with top out of conference teams who aren't going to sign a one-way contract to Fargo or it would likely take away the FBS money game the Bison like to schedule for the years they would have to travel to Grand Forks.

AmsterBison
January 20th, 2009, 08:56 PM
This isn't going to make any friends at NDSU so when the legislation fails, it will end up being counter-productive. The only thing that can salvage the situation is for UND's administration to come out strongly against the bill. Of course, I kind of doubt that the sponsors of this bill take a dump without consulting UND's administration first. If UND's administration doesn't come out against it tomorrow, the damage will have already been done.

chrisattsu
January 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
I hate to say it, but if Univ of Texas ever even considered not playing the Aggies, Texas A&M and its fanboys in the capitol would draft something similar.

TexasTerror
January 20th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Baylor favorable legislators forced Texas, A&M and Tech to take along Baylor to the Big 12 from the SWC.

We've seen other similar involvement from legislative groups before, this is nothing unusual.

Thunderstruck84
January 20th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Baylor favorable legislators forced Texas, A&M and Tech to take along Baylor to the Big 12 from the SWC.

We've seen other similar involvement from legislative groups before, this is nothing unusual.
It may not be unusual but it's a bad precedent to set. Where do you draw the line in how involved the legislature gets in scheduling? What if lawmakers from the Bismarck area start another bill mandating that UND or NDSU play the University of Mary (DII school out of Bismarck) every year?

Bottom line is this is bill is greatly favorable to UND and unfavorable to NDSU which doesn't necessarily make it good for the state.

Syntax Error
January 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
It may not be unusual but it's a bad precedent to set. Where do you draw the line in how involved the legislature gets in scheduling? What if lawmakers from the Bismarck area start another bill mandating that UND or NDSU play the University of Mary (DII school out of Bismarck) every year?
Bottom line is this is bill is greatly favorable to UND and unfavorable to NDSU which doesn't necessarily make it good for the state.First it was SHSU or ISU and now you haul out a D-II opponent? Face it, you dislike NODAK, that is what this is about. You know no other game that would be of greater interest than the Nickel Trophy game in ND, so if the schools won't play it then the precedent is well established that their sponsor can make them. Heck, The Citadel had to admit women!

BisonBacker
January 20th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Absolutely idiotic and the damage is already done. This won't fly and if these rubber stamp idiots from up North who proposed this don't have anything better to do with their time they ought to resign. What an absolute joke.

achrist70
January 20th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Is there no more important things that the North Dakota law makers could be dealing with right now? Economy? Education? Health Care?

I guess I can see people wanting this game to be played, but there are far more important things for State Governments to be doing.

BisonBacker
January 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Is there no more important things that the North Dakota law makers could be dealing with right now? Economy? Education? Health Care?

I guess I can see people wanting this game to be played, but there are far more important things for State Governments to be doing.

You hit the nail on the head.

Thunderstruck84
January 20th, 2009, 09:53 PM
First it was SHSU or ISU and now you haul out a D-II opponent? Face it, you dislike NODAK, that is what this is about. You know no other game that would be of greater interest than the Nickel Trophy game in ND, so if the schools won't play it then the precedent is well established that their sponsor can make them. Heck, The Citadel had to admit women!
Sure I dislike UND, but that doesn't mean I don't want NDSU to play them and has nothing to do with the basis for my argument against this legislation. The context of my argument is that the bill is unfair in how it props up UND and handcuffs NDSU. My stated intent is that having SHSU as compared to UND on the Bison's schedule does nothing to hurt the financial investment of the state to the university. Furthermore, it sets a bad precedent for lawmakers to get involved in scheduling because there's no defined line that says how far they can go.

I'd like to see that rivalry renewed but I completely disagree with the means by which some in the state legislature are trying to get that accompished. NDSU and UND WILL play again, it's only a matter of time but the state legislature is only pouring salt on NDSU's wound with this bill.

FWIW, comparing legislation to schedule a football game with legislation requiring a university to admit women is a really far fetched analogy.

mksioux
January 20th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Actually, not really. Unlike the rest of the country, North Dakota is grappling with what to do with a huge surplus...and now apparently the football scheduling of its two largest universities. Sounds like a fun job. :)

I seriously doubt this bill will go anywhere, but it's good message board fodder. UND and NDSU fans were running out of material anyway and needed a new chapter in this saga. xrolleyesx

JayJ79
January 20th, 2009, 10:45 PM

It's not like Iowa is much better.
I remember in the past few years, there was talk about U of Iowa and/or Iowa State wanting to discontinue playing UNI in basketball. And there was talk about Iowa wanting to discontinue it's yearly football game against Iowa State.

And on both occasions, there was talk about getting the legislature involved to mandate that the series continues. Though admittedly I don't know if they actually ever DID get involved, or if it was just talk.

achrist70
January 20th, 2009, 10:58 PM
I could see Steve Alford not wanting to play UNI, he was always out coached, oh wait that was every game. And there was a threat of the Iowa v. State game not happening due to tickets, and media or something in that area, but I think that the universities worked it out.

Furthermore I wasn't saying Iowa is any better, I just don't like resources wasted on issues that shouldn't be put in front of other more important issues.

WileECoyote06
January 20th, 2009, 11:41 PM

the Va governor also played politics to force the ACC to accept Virginia Tech instead of accepting Syracuse.

bisonguy
January 20th, 2009, 11:51 PM
If anything the ND legislature should pass a bill requiring the NDSU and UND AD's to meet. They haven't so much as had a phone conversation since UND hired a new AD about 9 months ago. Maybe even force them to have a light lunch in Hillsboro and talk about a game over coffee (that's about the midpoint between NDSU and UND for those non-Nodakers out there).

Go Bison
January 21st, 2009, 06:54 AM
The sponsor of the bill had this to say in the Grand Forks Herald.

With all the weighty, weighty issues that we deal with that are so serious in nature, I hope this will be one people can enjoy and there will be a spirited debate on the floor and we can just have some fun with it.”

Hambone
January 21st, 2009, 06:58 AM
The sponsor of the bill had this to say in the Grand Forks Herald.

With all the weighty, weighty issues that we deal with that are so serious in nature, I hope this will be one people can enjoy and there will be a spirited debate on the floor and we can just have some fun with it.”

So, they just introduced it to have fun with it and see what happens? That doesn't seem like a good reason.

Tealblood
January 21st, 2009, 07:19 AM
It is about education and economy

as said before the Virginia legislature forced UVA to push for Va Tech inclusion into the ACC instead of Syracuse

the amount of money coming from being in the ACC was more than they were getting from the Bif East

Tealblood
January 21st, 2009, 07:21 AM
I don't think a bunch of you people here understand what a take from gate receipts are due from football games therefor how much less money football takes away from the overall athletics budget

if they can keep the gate "inhouse" so much the better

Tealblood
January 21st, 2009, 07:22 AM
Oh and 1 more thing until you go private what happens at your Uni.'s is the state's bidness

henfan
January 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM
Yup. If an institution doesn't want the state infearing in its financial affairs, then they should proceed to change their charter, stop accepting state funding, purchase from the taxpayers land that was granted to them, etc.

mebisonII
January 21st, 2009, 07:56 AM
Yup. If an institution doesn't want the state infearing in its financial affairs, then they should proceed to change their charter, stop accepting state funding, purchase from the taxpayers land that was granted to them, etc.

Or they could elect reps that don't monkey around with football schedules and stir up controversy just because it seemed like more fun than dealing with budgets, healthcare, and infrastructure.

Thunderstruck84
January 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM
I understand that money talks when it comes to the state legislature getting involved with something of this nature but if anything, it will hurt NDSU financially. Requiring them to travel every other year will either make them stop doing the FBS money games that the AD likes to schedule or require them to sweeten the pot for teams to accept one-way contracts during those years. It's great for UND but not so much for NDSU.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2009, 08:35 AM
The precedent is already long been set.

States where legislation forces a game between large state schools:

Iowa
Colorado
South Carolina
West Virginia
Virginia (forced VT into the ACC)
North Carolina
Kentucky

etc.

These are STATE sponsered school so damn right the state government has not only the authority to do this, they have the obligation! For the good of the state.

Only bad thing is that this wasn't introduced in 2003.

I would look for something similar in South Dakota as well.

Thunderstruck84
January 21st, 2009, 08:48 AM
The precedent is already long been set.

States where legislation forces a game between large state schools:

Iowa
Colorado
South Carolina
West Virginia
Virginia (forced VT into the ACC)
North Carolina
Kentucky

etc.

These are STATE sponsered school so damn right the state government has not only the authority to do this, they have the obligation! For the good of the state.

Only bad thing is that this wasn't introduced in 2003.

I would look for something similar in South Dakota as well.
Fair enough, I'll agree that the precedent has been set in other states but we're talking about a unique set of circumstances in this instance. If this would still be happening 5 years from now after UND is established as a quality D1 program I'd be a lot more accepting of this legislation. Bottom line is, the bill would give an unfair advantage to UND/disadvantage to NDSU. Being an NDSU proponent, I'm highly opposed to that.

henfan
January 21st, 2009, 09:09 AM
Or they could elect reps that don't monkey around with football schedules and stir up controversy just because it seemed like more fun than dealing with budgets, healthcare, and infrastructure.

Is that what's happening here? Really?

Effective government should be capable of attending to issues both severe and minor simultaneously. Stating that x shouldn't be attended to because Y deserves more attention is a complete cop out. Your reps can and should do both. OTOH, if they are attending to small issues at the exclusion of other more urgent ones, vote the bums out!

Hansel
January 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
Funny that they aren't concerned about UND paying 60K to NAIA team from South Dakota when there are 5 NAIA and 1 DII school in ND they could schedule instead... and keep the money in-state

AmsterBison
January 21st, 2009, 10:17 AM
I think what really irks NDSU folks most is the blatant double-standard from legislators (and this is only the latest example). Some athletically-related examples:

1. When NDSU was considering going DI, some of these same legislators got in an uproar and bravely planted themselves in front of microphones to protest. When UND decided to go DI, they cheered the same arguments that they derided when NDSU made them.
2. When NDSU went DI, legislators were so concerned that it would cost more money that they tried to pass a bill saying that NDSU couldn't raise student fees or spend any extra money (even indirectly) if it had anything to do with DI. Then somebody reminded them that UND had a DI hockey team so they amended the bill so hockey at UND would be excluded from the law. NDSU never did raise student fees for DI, btw.
3. When UND went DI, they said they needed to double their student fees and nobody in the legislature said anything.
4. When UND woudn't schedule NDSU in cross country, football, softball, women's basketball, men's basketball, men's golf, women's golf, men's track, and women's track (heck, UND doesn't even have an indoor track but they wouldn't go to Fargo), nobody in the legislature said anything. Now NDSU insists on taking its time renewing the games and legislators are solemnly talking about cooperation and the good of the state? Puh-Freaking-Please. Note: UND did play NDSU in baseball once.

BisonAccountant44
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
What get's me is how shortsighted this bill is. By 2012 UND will be fully transitioned, and the rivalry will be renewed in some form. Granted, they won't be playing every year because it simply won't fit into our schedule, but theoretically, by that time UND should have a full conference schedule that they will need to work around, will want home games, and will look to schedule FBS games as well.

The only good that this bill can bring to anyone is it will give UND one more guaranteed game during their transition, and after that, they'll be getting screwed by the bill just as much as NDSU.

PartTime
January 21st, 2009, 10:43 AM
Reading the message boards and no support for this bill from either UND or NDSU alum/fans, not surprised, I feel the same way. The two schools will eventually play each other again, but to force the two schools to play isn't the way to go........well, force one school anyways, UND athletic director Brian Faison did say that UND is ready. UND didn't play NDSU during SU's transition but now they would be forced to play UND during theirs? Not fair to SU.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
I think what really irks NDSU folks most is the blatant double-standard from legislators (and this is only the latest example). Some athletically-related examples:

1. When NDSU was considering going DI, some of these same legislators got in an uproar and bravely planted themselves in front of microphones to protest. When UND decided to go DI, they cheered the same arguments that they derided when NDSU made them.
2. When NDSU went DI, legislators were so concerned that it would cost more money that they tried to pass a bill saying that NDSU couldn't raise student fees or spend any extra money (even indirectly) if it had anything to do with DI. Then somebody reminded them that UND had a DI hockey team so they amended the bill so hockey at UND would be excluded from the law. NDSU never did raise student fees for DI, btw.
3. When UND went DI, they said they needed to double their student fees and nobody in the legislature said anything.
4. When UND woudn't schedule NDSU in cross country, football, softball, women's basketball, men's basketball, men's golf, women's golf, men's track, and women's track (heck, UND doesn't even have an indoor track but they wouldn't go to Fargo), nobody in the legislature said anything. Now NDSU insists on taking its time renewing the games and legislators are solemnly talking about cooperation and the good of the state? Puh-Freaking-Please. Note: UND did play NDSU in baseball once.

The people of ND want to see NDSU and UND play football and the people of ND are the ones who financially support both NDSU and UND.

If this is what the people want, then it is the OBLIGATION of the state government to FORCE action, if required.

To hell with your sour grapes.

Grow up.

AmsterBison
January 21st, 2009, 11:21 AM
The people of ND want to see NDSU and UND play football and the people of ND are the ones who financially support both NDSU and UND.

If this is what the people want, then it is the OBLIGATION of the state government to FORCE action, if required.

Grow up.

Er. I *want* NDSU and UND to play again and thought it was idiotic that UND pulled out of all competition. Heck, I even predicted that they'd be back in four or five years - just like the LAST time they pulled out of the rivalry back in 19-dickety-6. :)

I have a real problem with the hypocrisy demonstrated by these legislators and the double-standards they champion.

BTW, "sour grapes?" How does that apply to this situation? What juicy grapes are these legislators eating that I can't have?

Kanitapja
January 21st, 2009, 11:28 AM

This is highly debatable. This post is the first voice of support that I've seen for the bill. I've heard many people talk about it and nobody, not a single one from either institution, has ever voiced support for it in my presence. Maybe this post is referring to a different "ND"?xconfusedx

AmsterBison's post showed no hard feelings toward the other institution. It merely pointed out several examples of how disingenuous its supporters have been in the past, and shows the similarities of those examples to what they are trying to do right now.

Grow up.

No comment.xwhistlex

mksioux
January 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
What get's me is how shortsighted this bill is. By 2012 UND will be fully transitioned, and the rivalry will be renewed in some form. Granted, they won't be playing every year because it simply won't fit into our schedule, but theoretically, by that time UND should have a full conference schedule that they will need to work around, will want home games, and will look to schedule FBS games as well.

The only good that this bill can bring to anyone is it will give UND one more guaranteed game during their transition, and after that, they'll be getting screwed by the bill just as much as NDSU.
Ummm, what full conference will that be? Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't see UND sitting in a full football conference by 2012. MoValley and Big Sky don't want UND and nobody wants to join the Great West. It's much more likely that UND will be in a position of badly needing games every year for the foreseeable future.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2009, 01:05 PM
Ummm, what full conference will that be? Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I don't see UND sitting in a full football conference by 2012. MoValley and Big Sky don't want UND and nobody wants to join the Great West. It's much more likely that UND will be in a position of badly needing games every year for the foreseeable future.

There's going to be some movement in the MVFC in a few years that will create room for UND.

slostang
January 21st, 2009, 01:20 PM
I love it.
Let UND and NDSU settle it on the field. We all know that if they do not do this we are looking at least five or more years before we see a football game between the two schools. I for one would love to see the two teams play. Can you imagine how much activity there will be on this and other boards leading up to and just after such a game. It would be great entertainment.

Maybe the bill goes nowhere, but maybe like baseball when just the thought of congress stepping in forced baseball to do something about steroids. Maybe it will speed up this game happening.

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 01:39 PM
... UND didn't play NDSU during SU's transition but now they would be forced to play UND during theirs? Not fair to SU.Big difference between the two transitions. NODAK would not have been a D-I counter for NDSU. Now, NODAK is a D-I counter.

BisonBacker
January 21st, 2009, 02:50 PM
Big difference between the two transitions. NODAK would not have been a D-I counter for NDSU. Now, NODAK is a D-I counter.

Lame Ass no brainer comment from a UND supporter. Keep telling yourself that but it doesn't fly.

BisonBacker
January 21st, 2009, 02:51 PM
There's going to be some movement in the MVFC in a few years that will create room for UND.

You must be smoking some good stuff but please don't post on message boards while you are hitting the Bong.

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 03:08 PM
... comment from a UND supporter. Keep telling yourself that but it doesn't fly.First, I support every single FCS team, not any one in particular. Secondly, are you disputing that NODAK was not a D-I counter when NDSU was in transition and is now a counter for NDSU? xrulesx

NDB
January 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM
that argument doesn't hold water because NDSU wasn't able to make the playoffs

xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

brownbear
January 21st, 2009, 03:56 PM
What is the issue of playing each other? Is it the issue of having to an extra game on the road every other year? Or is it a pride issue and each school is afraid to play each other?

Could someone explain the issue for someone not involved with ND politics?

Kanitapja
January 21st, 2009, 04:05 PM
What is the issue of playing each other? Is it the issue of having to an extra game on the road every other year? Or is it a pride issue and each school is afraid to play each other?

The issue for NDSU right now is a very busy conference schedule and a desire to fill out the small remainder of the season with quality opponents. Being forced to play them makes it more difficult to arrange for a good FBS team or top FCS program. I don't care much that it's over. NDSU's rival is in the same conference as it stands now anyway, so why enact legislation that forces the Bison to take on more? That's the way I see it.

griz8791
January 21st, 2009, 04:08 PM
If anything the ND legislature should pass a bill requiring the NDSU and UND AD's to meet. They haven't so much as had a phone conversation since UND hired a new AD about 9 months ago. Maybe even force them to have a light lunch in Hillsboro and talk about a game over coffee (that's about the midpoint between NDSU and UND for those non-Nodakers out there).

Better chance of both ADs being served coffee in Hillsboro?

(Heard there was a problem with that once in Grand Forks) xwhistlex

Thundar
January 21st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Reading the message boards and no support for this bill from either UND or NDSU alum/fans, not surprised, I feel the same way. The two schools will eventually play each other again, but to force the two schools to play isn't the way to go........well, force one school anyways, UND athletic director Brian Faison did say that UND is ready. UND didn't play NDSU during SU's transition but now they would be forced to play UND during theirs? Not fair to SU.

Agreed 100% plus

Its not fair to either school IMO! once UND is out of the transition there will be more nice games to schedule, big paydays, etc. rather than a FORCED ooc game!

Gil Dobie
January 21st, 2009, 05:02 PM
The legislature didn't find it important to act on the home and home contract NDSU's AD sent to UND's AD in 2003 xoopsx

Gil Dobie
January 21st, 2009, 05:04 PM
First, I support every single FCS team, not any one in particular. Secondly, are you disputing that NODAK was not a D-I counter when NDSU was in transition and is now a counter for NDSU? xrulesx

NODAK turned down a 4 year home and home contract in 2003 offered by NDSU, counter or not.

Thundar
January 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
NODAK turned down a 4 year home and home contract in 2003 offered by NDSU, counter or not.

Gil this is a fact that UND supporters have been trying to hide, they don't want anybody to "remember" that! The local media today in Fargo talked about this story all morning, and someone asked where this Bill was in 2003 and Dan Hammer said "they played in 2003". Well obviously they played but at the end of the year the Big Announcement was made declaring NDSU detrimental to UND's Schedule, Now that the shoe is on the other foot and their AD is making contracts with NAIA and DII's instead of FCS they are crying! There are many UND fans who are not in favor of this either (i've talked to several) but don't get it wrong there is intent with this Bill, it wasn't just introduced to "stir the pot" like its being made to sound now that the critics are really laying on!

AmsterBison
January 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM

First of all, let's get this straight: NDSU and UND will play again in a couple years, probably starting with other sports first though.

Background: Five or so years ago UND cut off all athletic contact between the two schools, and they weren't very neighborly about it. These same legislators approved of that behavior even though it really caused NDSU significant headaches, so what really chaps our asses as Bison fans is the blatant double-standard these chumps hold the two schools to (and this is not the only example). The other thing that bugs people (both UND and NDSU) is that the legislature should stop dinking around because we have a State Board of Higher Ed for handling university matters.

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
The issue for NDSU right now is a very busy conference schedule and a desire to fill out the small remainder of the season with quality opponents. Being forced to play them makes it more difficult to arrange for a good FBS team or top FCS program.That is a rational argument.
NDSU's rival is in the same conference as it stands now anywayThat's where the misrepresentation comes in. NODAK is the historic NDSU rival and just because the two hate each other does not change that fact. The manufactured SDSU rivalry pales in comparison. Everyone knows that.

While I don't prefer that legislated action is the way to go, the two ND schools should be playing each other and if the State deems it necessary to force the issue, so be it. That both NDSU and NODAK could be top FCS teams makes the game further appealing.

Count me as one who wants the Nickel Trophy as a premier FCS game every year. xpeacex

Kanitapja
January 21st, 2009, 05:48 PM
That's where the misrepresentation comes in. NODAK is the historic NDSU rival and just because the two hate each other does not change that fact. The manufactured SDSU rivalry pales in comparison. Everyone knows that.

Riddle me this (i'm sure you can guess the answers)...

Who was the visiting team for the largest crowd ever to see a football game in the FFD???xrulesx

Who was the visiting team for the largest crowd ever to see a football game at CAS???xrulesx

Both former rivals had plenty of chances at their own records...xcoffeex

Thundar
January 21st, 2009, 05:51 PM
That is a rational argument.That's where the misrepresentation comes in. NODAK is the historic NDSU rival and just because the two hate each other does not change that fact. The manufactured SDSU rivalry pales in comparison. Everyone knows that.

While I don't prefer that legislated action is the way to go, the two ND schools should be playing each other and if the State deems it necessary to force the issue, so be it. That both NDSU and NODAK could be top FCS teams makes the game further appealing.

Count me as one who wants the Nickel Trophy as a premier FCS game every year. xpeacex

Honestly I don't see this unless this crap bill gets passed, or there is a change in the NDSU Administraionxbawlingx , every other year yes!

BisBison
January 21st, 2009, 06:35 PM

Your point would be well taken if it were not for the fact that ND law requires that athletic departments support themselves, are not allowed to run a deficit, and receive no funding from the state for athletic operations, facilities, travel expenses etc. The state does pay for some of the staff salaries, but even then most of the $$ comes from the athletic budget.

mksioux
January 21st, 2009, 06:42 PM
I'm not a big fan of the legislature getting involved in issues like this, but there is a slight difference between the situations. UND was a DII team during NDSU's transition. The schools are in the same division during UND's transition with the same scholarship limitations, and now UND is a counter. That doesn't mean UND couldn't have played NDSU then (especially the first couple years before the scholarship differential showed on the field) and it doesn't mean that NDSU has to play UND now, but there is a small difference there.

But more to the point, if NDSU was willing to resume an annual rotating game after UND's transition is over, I don't think many UND fans would have a problem waiting. However, NDSU's athletic director says that's not going to happen. The stated reason is that, on most years, he only has three non-conference games and he wants to use them for two home games and an FBS money game. That's all fine and dandy, but will that reason resonate with the average fan (or legislator) who doesn't quite understand why an annual rivalry game between in-state arch-rivals with 100+ years of history can't be worked out because, every-other-year, NDSU prefers to have an extra home game against some random team that fans may or may not know anything about?

For UND's part, the rivalry could maybe be resumed in some non-annual or unbalanced fashion (i.e. with NDSU only traveling to UND on years when the NCAA allows a 12th game), but UND will not likely agree to that format.

All of this does not mean the legislature should step in, but let's not kid ourselves. The reality is that, left to their own devices, it's far from certain that these two schools are going to resume playing each other in football any time soon. That's perfectly okay by the hard-core NDSU fans on this board, but will it be okay to the rest of the state? It may be. The reaction to this bill has generally been negative and the bill will not likely pass this session. But until the schools figure something out, this issue isn't going away.

PartTime
January 21st, 2009, 07:30 PM
I'm not a big fan of the legislature getting involved in issues like this, but there is a slight difference between the situations. UND was a DII team during NDSU's transition. The schools are in the same division during UND's transition with the same scholarship limitations, and now UND is a counter. That doesn't mean UND couldn't have played NDSU then (especially the first couple years before the scholarship differential showed on the field) and it doesn't mean that NDSU has to play UND now, but there is a small difference there.

But more to the point, if NDSU was willing to resume an annual rotating game after UND's transition is over, I don't think many UND fans would have a problem waiting. However, NDSU's athletic director says that's not going to happen. The stated reason is that, on most years, he only has three non-conference games and he wants to use them for two home games and an FBS money game. That's all fine and dandy, but will that reason resonate with the average fan (or legislator) who doesn't quite understand why an annual rivalry game between in-state arch-rivals with 100+ years of history can't be worked out because, every-other-year, NDSU prefers to have an extra home game against some random team that fans may or may not know anything about?

For UND's part, the rivalry could maybe be resumed in some non-annual or unbalanced fashion (i.e. with NDSU only traveling to UND on years when the NCAA allows a 12th game), but UND will not likely agree to that format.

All of this does not mean the legislature should step in, but let's not kid ourselves. The reality is that, left to their own devices, it's far from certain that these two schools are going to resume playing each other in football any time soon. That's perfectly okay by the hard-core NDSU fans on this board, but will it be okay to the rest of the state? It may be. The reaction to this bill has generally been negative and the bill will not likely pass this session. But until the schools figure something out, this issue isn't going away.

Your right, there was/is a difference from then to now, just isn't right (in my opinion) to force the schools to play each other.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM

It was the most important game in the lives of anyone born in North Dakota or who went to school in North Dakota every year.

The game itself was a seperate culture. If you won that game, the rest of the season didn't really matter.

So when the game stopped, both school's fans bitterly blamed each other.

Now that UND has a new admin and athletic director who have no prior experience with the rivalry, most of their fans have changed their tune.

NDSU's fans are still bitter at UND's past admin and want to cause as much pain to UND as possible.

Thundar
January 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM
It was the most important game in the lives of anyone born in North Dakota or who went to school in North Dakota every year.
The game itself was a seperate culture. If you won that game, the rest of the season didn't really matter.

So when the game stopped, both school's fans bitterly blamed each other.

Now that UND has a new admin and athletic director who have no prior experience with the rivalry, most of their fans have changed their tune.

NDSU's fans are still bitter at UND's past admin and want to cause as much pain to UND as possible.

Thats a pretty Bold Statement, 10% of the population really gave a ***** about it. Most of the Central and Western Half of the state cared and still cares less if the game is or isn't played!

NDB
January 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM

orly?

the school that just signed an NAIA team for a game in 2011 is going to dictate terms to a team that all but sold out every home game the past year?

UND made it's bed. now it gets to sleep in it.

NDSU will wake up UND when dawn breaks, not the other way around.

Gil Dobie
January 21st, 2009, 09:45 PM

Being born and raised in ND, it was never the most important game to me. Of course I went to school during the days of Bison domination, and haven't been to a Bison/Sioux game since 1986. I have season tickets, and the only games I miss, that I ever went to a bar to watch on TV were National Championship games in 1988 & 1990, or Montana in 2003. UND is a good rivalry game, and the teams will play again, but not the most important game to me.

MplsBison
January 21st, 2009, 10:03 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention the best part: some NDSU die hards are so pathletically bitter that they will go out of their way to try to make others think that UND means nothing to NDSU and that the game is unimportant.

Unreal...but I guess you have to have lived up there to know it.

ngineer
January 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM

Typical governmental pettiness. Spending time on crap. I think Kentucky did a similar thing a few years ago 'requiring' UK to play Louisville in basketball...xsmhx

Yote 53
January 21st, 2009, 10:53 PM
The issue for NDSU right now is a very busy conference schedule and a desire to fill out the small remainder of the season with quality opponents. Being forced to play them makes it more difficult to arrange for a good FBS team or top FCS program. I don't care much that it's over. NDSU's rival is in the same conference as it stands now anyway, so why enact legislation that forces the Bison to take on more? That's the way I see it.

I don't really care what you do up north but this is the kind of statement that enflames me because we hear the same thing from SDSU. A top flight FCS opponent, guess what, you know as well as I do that your neighbors to the North will be a top notch FCS school and already are a high quality opponent, that is why NDSU doesn't want to face UND, and SDSU doesn't want to face USD, because by not taking on the game you can continue the superiority complex you have going.

Syntax Error
January 21st, 2009, 11:03 PM
I don't really care what you do up north but this is the kind of statement that enflames me because we hear the same thing from SDSU. A top flight FCS opponent, guess what, you know as well as I do that your neighbors to the North will be a top notch FCS school and already are a high quality opponent, that is why NDSU doesn't want to face UND, and SDSU doesn't want to face USD, because by not taking on the game you can continue the superiority complex you have going.Not getting smackish, that goes on the other board here, but both NDSU and NODAK could be top FCS teams. Same for the SD teams. SDSU had a fine year, again, in 2008. Neither NDSU/SDSU should avoid playing the NO-SO/DAKs. Ducking the games serves no purpose.

GeauxLions94
January 21st, 2009, 11:12 PM
If only the Louisiana Legislature would force LSU to play the in-state FCS schools (SLU, McNeese, Northwestern State, Nicholls, Grambling, Southern) instead of shipping $400-500 thousand to Appy State, Western Illinois, etc.

bincitysioux
January 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
For the record, I really don't care if the two schools revive the rivalry on the gridiron or not. If they do, I'll be there, because it would be a short drive for me. Both schools set attendance records this season, and if they both continue to excel, it will be hard to get a ticket to either venue on Any Given Saturday in the future.

But Syntax Error makes a good point:

.........both NDSU and NODAK could be top FCS teams makes the game further appealing.

What could this game mean to the FCS and its notoriety in the future? What would the FCS be like without Cat-Griz or Lehigh-Lafayette?

I had never thought of that before that post.

And...........for Tony and those claiming that North Dakota ended all athletic relationships with NDSU that is a farce. You mentioned it, but baseball was played after NDSU moved and was supposed to continue to be played, but NDSU pulled the plug. North Dakota's administration (starting with Buning) tried to bury the hatchett as early as 2005. All NDSU fans know why North Dakota didn't sign the 4 year home-and-home after NDSU moved to DI. For the same reason NDSU didn't make the DII playoffs in '03. Because they WON against the 3rd ranked I-AA team in the country. That kept them out of the playoffs.

Kanitapja
January 22nd, 2009, 12:29 AM
I don't really care what you do up north but this is the kind of statement that enflames me because we hear the same thing from SDSU. A top flight FCS opponent, guess what, you know as well as I do that your neighbors to the North will be a top notch FCS school and already are a high quality opponent, that is why NDSU doesn't want to face UND, and SDSU doesn't want to face USD, because by not taking on the game you can continue the superiority complex you have going.

Somebody's crystal ball might be a little cracked. or something.

He needs to move on.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/Cheerioscerealbreakfastpissnumyum.gif
Stop pretending that
someone pissed
in his Cheerios.

Get over it. Move on. I do admit that the Jacks have done a better job at moving on than the Bison have up to this point in time. Congrats, you Jacks. I'm not a fan of SDSU, but I know that I can confidently say that Udot has lost all relevance in Brookings and will likely have to start over from the very beginning if they want to have a 'rivalry'.

I stand by my comments about preferring to keep NDSU's options open to ensure a schedule packed full of quality FCS opponents. I'll point any doubters back to my comment about a crystal ball back at the beginning of this post.xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
January 22nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention the best part: some NDSU die hards are so pathletically bitter that they will go out of their way to try to make others think that UND means nothing to NDSU and that the game is unimportant.

Unreal...but I guess you have to have lived up there to know it.

........and some are not bitter, but pick and chose the games they can afford to get to. Nobody said UND means nothing to NDSU or the game is not important, just not the game I have chosen to attend in the past 20+ years. You can call people all the names you want, but you just don't get the point that personal lives and football schedules don't always mesh.

PantherRob82
January 22nd, 2009, 08:53 AM

Just play us home and home every year.xthumbsupx

PantherRob82
January 22nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Ducking the games serves no purpose.

I disagree. NDSU and SDSU can agrue that they are the best team in the state playing in the best conference in FCS if they duck the games with the UXDs. This would be helpful in recruiting.

I don't think they should duck the game, but to say there is no purpose....there are many purposes, you just may not agree with them.

darell1976
January 22nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
I think they should start playing each other starting in 2012 that way UND becomes playoff eligible, the nickname issue will be done, and possibly a new trophy will be issued (the nickel may be retired since there is an Indian logo on it). I would rather the lawmakers lower my property taxes not decide who UND/NDSU should schedule.

NDB
January 22nd, 2009, 09:26 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

you mean the team that in its first year of transition had one win against an FCS team, a 1-10 Idaho State?

you mean the one that can't schedule a home FCS team to save its life right now?

the one that hasn't won a heads up recruiting battle to its former rival in what four years?

seriously. good luck with the transition, but there is nothing right now that says UXD will be successful in FCS.

Thunderstruck84
January 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
If NDSU is still ducking UND in 2012 than I would have a lot less qualms about this bill. I'm confident that UND will have a strong program by then and a game played between the two will be mutually beneficial to both universities when their OOC schedules are scrutinized during playoff selection.

Bitterness towards UND is not the basis of my argument. A desire for fairness to both state universities from the state is.

darell1976
January 22nd, 2009, 10:25 AM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

you mean the team that in its first year of transition had one win against an FCS team, a 1-10 Idaho State?

you mean the one that can't schedule a home FCS team to save its life right now?

the one that hasn't won a heads up recruiting battle to its former rival in what four years?

seriously. good luck with the transition, but there is nothing right now that says UXD will be successful in FCS.

#1. We had 2 wins against a FCS opponent ISU and USD.
#2. I give you that one UND is very much stuggleing with scheduing decent home FCS teams and sorry but Sioux Falls is not it.
#3. The recruiting battle of course goes to NDSU since UND was in D2 but now as the years in transitions progress the recruiting battle will get closer and hopefully by 2012 be equal if not fall in UND's favor.
#4. You don't know if the UXD's will be successful by looking at 1 year of transistion look at NDSU 5 years of bragging then they become playoff eligible and blow their opportunity.

SteelCurtain
January 22nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
Big difference between the two transitions. NODAK would not have been a D-I counter for NDSU. Now, NODAK is a D-I counter.

Syntax, you should know what your are talking about before you post. Ndsu had a four year contract on the table to play UND. This was during the transition when UND was a Div II school. The AD and Pres of UND had a press conference and said they were finished playing NDSU in all sports. Why??? ask them..

SteelCurtain
January 22nd, 2009, 02:28 PM
#2. I give you that one UND is very much stuggleing with scheduing decent home FCS teams and sorry but Sioux Falls is not it.
#3. The recruiting battle of course goes to NDSU since UND was in D2 but now as the years in transitions progress the recruiting battle will get closer and hopefully by 2012 be equal if not fall in UND's favor.
#4. You don't know if the UXD's will be successful by looking at 1 year of transistion look at NDSU 5 years of bragging then they become playoff eligible and blow their opportunity.

USD was a non-counter last year....as were you.

Panther Rob was also correct. Playing in the MVC is a great recruiting tool over UND and not playing them also helps in that aspect. Those are the simple facts..

NDB
January 22nd, 2009, 02:36 PM

USD was a non-counter last year.

I think that UND has a good shot at being a perennial top 25 FCS team, but it's not a certainty. I used to be more optimistic of their chances, but there are institutional/money problems in Grand Forks.

You guys look a heck ova lot more like UNC link NDSU right now.

darell1976
January 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Why does NDSU who after 1 year of transistion had fans shouting thoughout the rest of the 4 years, we are going to the playoffs we are #1 we are going to win a national title, and now after UND's 6-4 season we are going to be in the basement of the FCS. That we aren't going to be successful (AFTER 1 YEAR?!?!?). Is this typical NDSU slamming UND or what. What do other fans (non-NDSU) think of UND's chances in the FCS after only 1 year now of transistion since NDSU is writing us off already.

Thunderstruck84
January 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Why does NDSU who after 1 year of transistion had fans shouting thoughout the rest of the 4 years, we are going to the playoffs we are #1 we are going to win a national title, and now after UND's 6-4 season we are going to be in the basement of the FCS. That we aren't going to be successful (AFTER 1 YEAR?!?!?). Is this typical NDSU slamming UND or what. What do other fans (non-NDSU) think of UND's chances in the FCS after only 1 year now of transistion since NDSU is writing us off already.
xrulesx
Show me who said that?

BisonBacker
January 22nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
Darrell I think the criticism of UND is not just for the lack of quality product you put on the field last year but moreso the off field issues surrounding UND. I agree with the previous poster that the transition for UND reminds me in many ways of the UNC debacle. Only difference is right now you don't have players stabbing other players and routinely making the police blotters. UND is like a freakin soap opera bloated with Drama.
1. Battle the NCAA
2. Battle the Tribes
3. Administrative issues.
4. Double standards relating to the transition
A. Raising Student Fees
B. Legislators making a mockery of the law to enforce something that should never have been brought up.
C. Use of the Media by both Former and Current Administration which has all backfired.
5. Lack of attendance (less Hockey) at sporting events = $$$$ issues.

Do I need to continue on with the list??

NDB
January 22nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
i don't think that there were any fans who thought the Bison would have easy success after the first year.

after the 2007 season, i think that many fans believed the bison were a shoe-in for the playoffs and would likely get a win or two. (this team was 10-1 with a win against a big ten team).

2008 was a disappointment for bisonville.

UND is a great institution and has had great success in football over the past 15 years, but has it lost the wind under its sails?

lennon left
bunning left (boohoo, i know)
the nickname
the poor first year scheduling (not horrible really)
the mediocre performance
the loss of pretty much every recruiting battle against you know who in the past four years.

in the past two weeks
the lack of a home schedule
the summit saying figure out the nickname
the schedule of USF in 2009 and 2011
the legislative stuff

not trying to pile it on, in all honesty i'm really surprised things aren't going better.

Syntax Error
January 22nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
... What do other fans (non-NDSU) think of UND's chances in the FCS after only 1 year...I don't think there is much doubt that NODAK and NDSU are going to be very good teams in FCS. Fans from both schools just have to give it a little breathing space. The Sioux and Bison will get there eventually. NEITHER are there yet.

darell1976
January 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Darrell I think the criticism of UND is not just for the lack of quality product you put on the field last year but moreso the off field issues surrounding UND. I agree with the previous poster that the transition for UND reminds me in many ways of the UNC debacle. Only difference is right now you don't have players stabbing other players and routinely making the police blotters. UND is like a freakin soap opera bloated with Drama.
1. Battle the NCAA
2. Battle the Tribes
A. Raising Student Fees
B. Legislators making a mockery of the law to enforce something that should never have been brought up.
C. Use of the Media by both Former and Current Administration which has all backfired.

It just seems to me that the Bison fans were writing UND off as a D1 failure but some of things you listed just make it seem that way. There are a lot of off-field issues that needs to be dealt with that UND officials better get straight before 2012. The big ones you named which to me stands out is #5!! The Sioux i think are doing whatever they can to get NDSU to boost attendance not so much as to renew the rivalry. Attendance hasn't been great after year 1 or even our last year of D2. Its just not the same as when everyone was in the NCC. The nickname issue will be gone next year or before than since the timetable is Nov 30, 2010. So that will be the end of that issue but i think if the Sioux can start getting some decent opponents(maybe the nickname has something to do with it) things will turn around. So i apoligize to all NDSU fans. But i wouldn't write them off yet. As for comparing them to UNC (and players stabbing each other) the year has just begun.xlolx

MplsBison
January 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
It just seems to me that the Bison fans were writing UND off as a D1 failure but some of things you listed just make it seem that way. There are a lot of off-field issues that needs to be dealt with that UND officials better get straight before 2012. The big ones you named which to me stands out is #5!! The Sioux i think are doing whatever they can to get NDSU to boost attendance not so much as to renew the rivalry. Attendance hasn't been great after year 1 or even our last year of D2. Its just not the same as when everyone was in the NCC. The nickname issue will be gone next year or before than since the timetable is Nov 30, 2010. So that will be the end of that issue but i think if the Sioux can start getting some decent opponents(maybe the nickname has something to do with it) things will turn around. So i apoligize to all NDSU fans. But i wouldn't write them off yet. As for comparing them to UNC (and players stabbing each other) the year has just begun.xlolx

Darrell, as sad as it is, some NDSU fans truly were heartbroken to the core when NDSU and UND stopped playing football.

And you know what happens after a hard break up sometimes, you get really...REALLY bitter at the other person.

Those fans happen to make up the majority of NDSU posters.

You're seeing a very small sliver of the total NDSU fans.

Most are supportive of the state of ND in general and want to see the rivalry renewed as soon as possible.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
Darrell, as sad as it is, some NDSU fans truly were heartbroken to the core when NDSU and UND stopped playing football.

And you know what happens after a hard break up sometimes, you get really...REALLY bitter at the other person.

Most are supportive of the state of ND in general and want to see the rivalry renewed as soon as possible.

Wow--great post there MPLS.

BisonBacker
January 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM

Man you really know how to pile on the BS don't you. I go to team makers and don't hear of this overwhelming support you like to dream about. I've talked to many NDSU fans who are not team makers and they could care a less about renewing an old rivalry. You make up the most ridiculous ***** and then keep repeating it and I think you truly believe it. Just saying something over and over MNPLS won't make it the truth if it's just BS to start out with which most of your posts usually are. Where are you getting these stats or figures from about "Most are supportive" I sure don't see that in the responses in the Fargo Forum or the Herald regarding the propsed legislation. You are in the Minority on this thing and you know it. But if it makes you feel better to repeat the lines feel free you just look foolish for it.

Franks Tanks
January 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM
Man you really know how to pile on the BS don't you. I go to team makers and don't hear of this overwhelming support you like to dream about. I've talked to many NDSU fans who are not team makers and they could care a less about renewing an old rivalry. You make up the most ridiculous ***** and then keep repeating it and I think you truly believe it. Just saying something over and over MNPLS won't make it the truth if it's just BS to start out with which most of your posts usually are. Where are you getting these stats or figures from about "Most are supportive" I sure don't see that in the responses in the Fargo Forum or the Herald regarding the propsed legislation. You are in the Minority on this thing and you know it. But if it makes you feel better to repeat the lines feel free you just look foolish for it.

Frankly I cant imagine why NDSU And UND dont want to play each other. MPLS Bison is actually right it is nothing but ego and childish emotions keeping one of the best rivalries in college football from moving forward. Anyone that is not in favor of renewing the best and most interesting game either team could possibly have, and a game that captivates a state, is not a reasonable person.

SDFS
January 22nd, 2009, 10:20 PM
1. Battle the NCAA
2. Battle the Tribes
A. Raising Student Fees

I think you are a little off on your points:

1. Battle the NCAA - This issue has been resolve, please google the settlement if you have any questions. xcoffeex

2. Battle the Tribes - I would not word it this way, but a time line has been set by the State of North Dakota and the State of North Dakota is driving this issue. As many have stated over the past several years, it is very obvious that the name will be changed.

3. Administrative issues - I am not sure what issue you are talking about. But UND has hired a new President and AD. All of which are supportive of Div I athletics - all positives.

A. Raising Student Fees - I don't know the details about this but, I am sure that I will learn more...

B. Legislators making a mockery of the law to enforce something that should never have been brought up. - Unfortunately, I believe this action is counter productive. I would like to note that in my opinion. This legislative action is a direct result of the poor communication that took place in Fargo two weeks by NDSU administrators and Summit League Officials. Unfortunately UND got hauled into that mess. So, I think we are spinning things just a bit.

C. Use of the Media by both Former and Current Administration which has all backfired. Not worried about prior administration, they made more than a couple of mistakes. If anything the Fargo media and NDSU/Summit League officials have looked a bit foolish lately. If NDSU/Summit League officials would have handled questions about league policy better. The only comments being made by UND officials would have been about the time line for changing the name. Now, we have this legislative mess.

5. Lack of attendance (less Hockey) at sporting events - Well, I believe that UND lead the Great West Football Conference in attendance this year and I believe that UND set records for attendance in both football and mens hockey. So, I believe that the two primary money sports (football and hockey) are doing fine. It should be noted that the record football attendance was completed after losing a very popular head coach and a typical FCS first year home schedule.

So, I am not sure why all the dome and gloom from our NDSU friends - best of luck with your recruiting class this year. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
January 23rd, 2009, 06:29 AM
Frankly I cant imagine why NDSU And UND dont want to play each other. MPLS Bison is actually right it is nothing but ego and childish emotions keeping one of the best rivalries in college football from moving forward. Anyone that is not in favor of renewing the best and most interesting game either team could possibly have, and a game that captivates a state, is not a reasonable person.

If it's so great now why wasn't it so great 6 years ago?

BisonBacker
January 23rd, 2009, 06:30 AM

1. Battle the NCAA - This issue has been resolve, please google the settlement if you have any questions. xcoffeex

2. Battle the Tribes - I would not word it this way, but a time line has been set by the State of North Dakota and the State of North Dakota is driving this issue. As many have stated over the past several years, it is very obvious that the name will be changed.

3. Administrative issues - I am not sure what issue you are talking about. But UND has hired a new President and AD. All of which are supportive of Div I athletics - all positives.

A. Raising Student Fees - I don't know the details about this but, I am sure that I will learn more...

B. Legislators making a mockery of the law to enforce something that should never have been brought up. - Unfortunately, I believe this action is counter productive. I would like to note that in my opinion. This legislative action is a direct result of the poor communication that took place in Fargo two weeks by NDSU administrators and Summit League Officials. Unfortunately UND got hauled into that mess. So, I think we are spinning things just a bit.

C. Use of the Media by both Former and Current Administration which has all backfired. Not worried about prior administration, they made more than a couple of mistakes. If anything the Fargo media and NDSU/Summit League officials have looked a bit foolish lately. If NDSU/Summit League officials would have handled questions about league policy better. The only comments being made by UND officials would have been about the time line for changing the name. Now, we have this legislative mess.

5. Lack of attendance (less Hockey) at sporting events - Well, I believe that UND lead the Great West Football Conference in attendance this year and I believe that UND set records for attendance in both football and mens hockey. So, I believe that the two primary money sports (football and hockey) are doing fine. It should be noted that the record football attendance was completed after losing a very popular head coach and a typical FCS first year home schedule.

So, I am not sure why all the dome and gloom from our NDSU friends - best of luck with your recruiting class this year. xthumbsupx

You must work as a politican or political speech writer. You are a true spin doctor.

Go Bison
January 23rd, 2009, 07:01 AM
2012 is when the teams will likely plan again. UND made the rule that they were not going to play NDSU during the transition to DI. At this point NDSU is just playing by the rules that UND came up with. Now UND wants to change the rules. Keep in mind that NDSU's schedule is pretty much full till 2012 anyway.

Franks Tanks
January 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
If it's so great now why wasn't it so great 6 years ago?

It would have been great 6 years ago as well. One school apparently made an unfortunate decision that had a lot to do with the fact that the two schools will reside in different divisions. Now that both schools are re-united in D-I please let go and enjoy playing the best rival your team has.

darell1976
January 23rd, 2009, 07:55 AM
2012 is when the teams will likely plan again. UND made the rule that they were not going to play NDSU during the transition to DI. At this point NDSU is just playing by the rules that UND came up with. Now UND wants to change the rules. Keep in mind that NDSU's schedule is pretty much full till 2012 anyway.

I think UND is having such scheduling problems that maybe NDSU would be the answer. 2012 IMO would be the perfect year to schedule them. Lets just get an agreement between the schools that starting in 2012 they will play each other. I don't want my lawmakers arguing over this instead of trying to pass laws in this state that matter to everyone.. like taxes!!!!

EmeryZach
January 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I like this. Nothing wrong with forcing a rivalry.

Thunderstruck84
January 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM

Bingo!

The problem is the state isn't driving the issue, the State Board of Higher Education has had a year since the NCAA mandate but they recently announced that no one had volunteered for the committee to look into the pending name change and they have just started to put together a list of people for it. I fail to see how it is prudent to propose this legislation when at the same time the state is dragging it's feet on the name change.

I want the rivalry to continue but not in the way that some in the state legislature are trying to do it at this time and not until UND is an established D1 program, which shouldn't take too much longer (2012 would be a good year to shoot for).

MplsBison
January 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

That's because team makers are made of up NDSU fans who are still bitter at UND! lol!

I've talked to tons of ND and MN residents/NDSU alums who have no resentment toward UND and want to see the game continued. So there you go, I guess we cancel each other out.

NDB
January 23rd, 2009, 09:28 AM
I think UND is having such scheduling problems that maybe NDSU would be the answer. 2012 IMO would be the perfect year to schedule them. Lets just get an agreement between the schools that starting in 2012 they will play each other. I don't want my lawmakers arguing over this instead of trying to pass laws in this state that matter to everyone.. like taxes!!!!

then go over to faison's office and show him how to use a telephone.

Gil Dobie
January 23rd, 2009, 09:38 AM
xrulesx
Show me who said that?

I agree, I always thought UND would be a good team in FCS, as far back as 2003 when NDSU started the move. I thought it was silly that UND fans thought NDSU would have a huge advantage because of scholarships. The 4 year home and home would have been a great series if it had happened. I'm sure NDSU and UND will play again in the next few years. I will UND the best in their transition.

Signed - Bitter Bison Season Ticket holder. xlolxxlolx

Gil Dobie
January 23rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
That's because team makers are made of up NDSU fans who are still bitter at UND! lol!

I've talked to tons of ND and MN residents/NDSU alums who have no resentment toward UND and want to see the game continued. So there you go, I guess we cancel each other out.

Most people I talk to expect NDSU and UND to play again, and don't call other people names because they don't agree with them.

Kanitapja
January 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

This question still stands -Why should anyone even care?

The year 2012 popped up because NDSU said that 2012 is the first year it could even theoretically be possible. That makes no mention about opportunities for quality competition that would certainly trump this idea.

Kanitapja
January 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM

Are they all named 'Steve'?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/missingimaginarypretendfakefriendlo.jpg

*i call BS

Kanitapja
January 23rd, 2009, 10:13 AM

My nomination for the AGS Post of the Day of January 23, 2009.

Matter of fact, I think I'll quote it every day, so I can nominate it every day...

Thundar
January 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM

You must not know very much about the issue if you think its resolved! If a resolution had come forth A. they wouldn't be the SIOUX anymore or B. they would have received support from the Sioux tribes, which to this date HAS NOT HAPPENED! so google all you want but until A or B happen nothing has been settledxcoffeex

mksioux
January 23rd, 2009, 12:58 PM
You must not know very much about the issue if you think its resolved! If a resolution had come forth A. they wouldn't be the SIOUX anymore or B. they would have received support from the Sioux tribes, which to this date HAS NOT HAPPENED! so google all you want but until A or B happen nothing has been settledxcoffeex
The lawsuit with the NCAA has been settled. From a legal standpoint, the nickname issue has not been totally resolved. It's legally possible for UND to stay the Fighting Sioux without tribal permission. The settlement does not legally require UND to drop its nickname. UND will simply go back on the NCAA *****list after November 30, 2010 if it doesn't drop the nickname or obtain tribal approval. However, most UND fans recognize that is not a realistic option and one that will almost certainly not happen. So from a realistic standpoint, people say the issue is resolved...the nickname will be dropped by November 30, 2010 if tribal approval is not obtained. They may not legally correct, but I'd say they're closer to correct than people who think "nothing has been settled."

darell1976
January 23rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
The lawsuit with the NCAA has been settled. From a legal standpoint, the nickname issue has not been totally resolved. It's legally possible for UND to stay the Fighting Sioux without tribal permission. The settlement does not legally require UND to drop its nickname. UND will simply go back on the NCAA *****list after November 30, 2010 if it doesn't drop the nickname or obtain tribal approval. However, most UND fans recognize that is not a realistic option and one that will almost certainly not happen. So from a realistic standpoint, people say the issue is resolved...the nickname will be dropped by November 30, 2010 if tribal approval is not obtained. They may not legally correct, but I'd say they're closer to correct than people who think "nothing has been settled."

AMEN!!!xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
January 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
It would have been great 6 years ago as well. One school apparently made an unfortunate decision that had a lot to do with the fact that the two schools will reside in different divisions. Now that both schools are re-united in D-I please let go and enjoy playing the best rival your team has.

I do enjoy playing the best rival we have. SDSU is a great rival and UNI is also.

Thundar
January 23rd, 2009, 06:08 PM
I do enjoy playing the best rival we have. SDSU is a great rival and UNI is also.

Nothing will compare to the UND rivalry NOTHING, but I admit this SDSU thing is kinda taking off! but UNI?? we've played them what once since the 70's there is potential for a good rivalry, but as of now event though nothing since 2003 UND is still and always will be NDSU's #1 Rival! Think about this if you go out in Fargo or even Minneapoils with Bison gear on, the usual thing that happens is BISON SIOUX talk not BISON Bunnys!xpeacex

SDFS
January 23rd, 2009, 11:45 PM

When I replied to the "Battle with NCAA", my comments were directed at the lawsuit and that it had been settled out of court.
My other comments were directed to the point that UND has three options per the settlement:

1) UND has until a specified date to get permission and continue use of the name.
2) Change the name.
3) Keep the name and face the full wrath of NCAA.

The State of North Dakota response has been to define a timeline for meeting the terms of the settlement via two possible outcomes.

1) Get permission to keep the name within the timeframe defined in the settlement.
2) Change the name within the timeframe defined in the settlement.

So, base on the settlement with the NCAA and the stated response by the State of North Dakota. Only two options are possible. Both options will keep UND in good standing with the NCAA. So, to be honest with you I don't really understand all the posturing by Summit League on the naming issue. No matter what happens, UND will meet NCAA requirements.

Thundar
January 24th, 2009, 10:16 AM
When I replied to the "Battle with NCAA", my comments were directed at the lawsuit and that it had been settled out of court.
My other comments were directed to the point that UND has three options per the settlement:

1) UND has until a specified date to get permission and continue use of the name.
2) Change the name.
3) Keep the name and face the full wrath of NCAA.

The State of North Dakota response has been to define a timeline for meeting the terms of the settlement via two possible outcomes.

1) Get permission to keep the name within the timeframe defined in the settlement.
2) Change the name within the timeframe defined in the settlement.

So, base on the settlement with the NCAA and the stated response by the State of North Dakota. Only two options are possible. Both options will keep UND in good standing with the NCAA. So, to be honest with you I don't really understand all the posturing by Summit League on the naming issue. No matter what happens, UND will meet NCAA requirements.

Well Basically The Summit League (or any league for that matter) wants nothing to do with a team that has a unresolved "offensive" Nickname/Moniker issue. Douple is Basically saying get the ball rolling and resolve the name issue and UND will get a visit or invitation to the League, but not before! The ball is in UND's court and beyond what UND fans think the Summit is their only chance for a Auto bid Conference! Look at what Douple did as a JUMP START to UND's new administrationxpeacex

Thunderstruck84
January 24th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Well Basically The Summit League (or any league for that matter) wants nothing to do with a team that has a unresolved "offensive" Nickname/Moniker issue. Douple is Basically saying get the ball rolling and resolve the name issue and UND will get a visit or invitation to the League, but not before! The ball is in UND's court and beyond what UND fans think the Summit is their only chance for a Auto bid Conference! Look at what Douple did as a JUMP START to UND's new administrationxpeacex
Not to mention the fact the Minnesota AD Joel Maturi has just scheduled NDSU, SDSU, UND, and Western Illinois to football games and has explicitly said that they would talk to UND once the nickname issue is resolved. Just because there is a timeline put on the name change or settlement doesn't mean it's resolved. The nickname is holding UND back and I hope the powers that be there realize that the longer they wait to "fully resolve" the issue the more it's going to hurt the university during the transition.

SDFS
January 24th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Not to mention the fact the Minnesota AD Joel Maturi has just scheduled NDSU, SDSU, UND, and Western Illinois to football games and has explicitly said that they would talk to UND once the nickname issue is resolved. Just because there is a timeline put on the name change or settlement doesn't mean it's resolved. The nickname is holding UND back and I hope the powers that be there realize that the longer they wait to "fully resolve" the issue the more it's going to hurt the university during the transition.

I guess the point of clarification is what does the term "resolved mean" to the NCAA, the Summit League and Unv of Minnesota.

1) Is it when UND has annouced that it is changing the name? Start of 2010.
2) Is it when a new name is announced? Fall of 2010
3) Is it when all symbols are removed from campus? This could take decades if not longer.. (per the NCAA settlement)

To me the sactioning body (ie NCAA) for UND, The Summit League and Unv of Minn has spoken. When UND and NCAA settled its lawsuit and UND was removed from the blacklist and the State of North Dakota defined its course of action to meet the settlement. This issue was resolved. That is why you have a sactioning body. The rest of this stuff from Unv of Min not scheduling UND is kind of silly.. because UND and UM play each other in sports. The Summit League has members that play UND in other sports. So, why the posturing?

Thundar
January 24th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I guess the point of clarification is what does the term "resolved mean" to the NCAA, the Summit League and Unv of Minnesota.

1) Is it when UND has annouced that it is changing the name? Start of 2010.
2) Is it when a new name is announced? Fall of 2010
3) Is it when all symbols are removed from campus? This could take decades if not longer.. (per the NCAA settlement)

To me the sactioning body (ie NCAA) for UND, The Summit League and Unv of Minn has spoken. When UND and NCAA settled its lawsuit and UND was removed from the blacklist and the State of North Dakota defined its course of action to meet the settlement. This issue was resolved. That is why you have a sactioning body. The rest of this stuff from Unv of Min not scheduling UND is kind of silly.. because UND and UM play each other in sports. The Summit League has members that play UND in other sports. So, why the posturing?

Your missing my pointxoopsx The Summit League WILL NOT admit or associate with a University that has controversy surrounding its nickname, which UND DOES regardless of any settlement with the NCAA. If the name is changed no problem, if you get the approval of the Tribes still some issue as 5 yrs down the road they could pull their approval again putting them in the spotlight in a NEGATIVE way, as I stated earlier NO Conference wants to be affiliated with negative publicity for one of their member institutions. SOOO IMO the name has to CHANGE before the Summit League visits or thinks about invitations remember this just my opinion!xpeacex

Hansel
January 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Essentially UND is having problems scheduling games... and are now looking for a bailout

SDFS
January 24th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Your missing my pointxoopsx The Summit League WILL NOT admit or associate with a University that has controversy surrounding its nickname, which UND DOES regardless of any settlement with the NCAA. If the name is changed no problem, if you get the approval of the Tribes still some issue as 5 yrs down the road they could pull their approval again putting them in the spotlight in a NEGATIVE way, as I stated earlier NO Conference wants to be affiliated with negative publicity for one of their member institutions. SOOO IMO the name has to CHANGE before the Summit League visits or thinks about invitations remember this just my opinion!xpeacex

I understand your point and it is one of the primary reasons why I want the name changed. It is time to move on.. I am not sure I agree with the position that the Summit League will not consider UND if they keep the name with permission. Because, UND would be no different than numerous other programs in terms of compliance.

But, in reality we all know the name is changing. So, we will not have to worry about happening.

By the way, I was at the Bison/Gopher football game - I had a great time at that game with close Bison friends. The "Sioux Suck" chant was in full force in the concourse after the game. I had to laugh when I heard that chant going - it made me feel good to know that Bison fans still hate the Sioux. xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Essentially UND is having problems scheduling games... and are now looking for a bailoutEssentially NDSU is ducking NODAK. :p

MplsBison
January 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM
Essentially NDSU is ducking NODAK. :p

Pretty much.

Although it looks like right now we're set up to schedule a two-for-one with UND, home games in 2009 and 2011 and away in 2010.

We'll see if it comes to fruition.

Hansel
January 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM

UND's AD has never called NDSU's AD about a game... so I don't see how we are ducking them.

If UND would agree to play in Fargo every year we wouldn't be having this problem. The Alerus isn't big enough for the game

darell1976
January 24th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I think when UND changes the name (even though i do wish they could get approval but its not gonna happen) the games will start to come to them and even conferences will start to contact them. This name is starting to be more a pain to their transition than anything. I say get rid of it now, just drop it...refer to the teams as North Dakota and start name hunting. I do not see UND as the Fighting Sioux later than the deadline. They will not keep it past Nov. 30th 2010 and risk sanctions. I think public support for the name is severely dropping and will continue to drop as we get closer to the deadline and the games continue to get harder to schedule.

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
... If UND would agree to play in Fargo every year... You ain't Montana or Delaware, you're a 2nd year FCS team that has never won a conference title as a certified D-I team or made the playoffs. As for location, my position is justified by your comment. Realize that Fargo is not big enough either. Gotta be a CLASSIC played at the Minnesota Dome or such! ND legislators might add that a neutral location is part of it... xlolx

Thundar
January 24th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Seriously????xlolx Ha last time I checked NDSU wasn't having problems filling a schedule! Why should NDSU contact UND for the game? If UND needs a game BrIan fiaSON should call Taylor and thats the only way this happens, the "bill" will fail.xwhistlex

SteelCurtain
January 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Pretty much.

Although it looks like right now we're set up to schedule a two-for-one with UND, home games in 2009 and 2011 and away in 2010.

We'll see if it comes to fruition.

Syntax, your funny, siding with Mlpsbison should serve notice you have no idea what you are talking about.

If I ever agreed with anything he said I would pretty much know the world was coming to an end..

I thought you were smarter than that...Apparently I was way off...

SteelCurtain
January 24th, 2009, 06:38 PM

Again, showing you have absolutely no knowledge of the situation. With the way the schedule is set up to play one upper level team on the road per year and with the conference games we need six hom games...which leaves no room for a road game with UND..If they want to play in Fargo every other year..Great..If they end up in the same conference I would look forward to that game as one of the big ones....But until that day happens I don't see us playing..at least not in GF..

Hansel
January 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
You ain't Montana or Delaware,

Nope NDSU finished a lowly 7th in FCS attendance last year

you're a 2nd year FCS team that has never won a conference title as a certified D-I team or made the playoffs.

What does that make UND?

As for location, my position is justified by your comment. Realize that Fargo is not big enough either.

The Highest attendance for an NDSU football game was actually against SDSU, but if the FargoDome isn't big enought, maybe we should wait until UND builds their 30,000 seat retractable roof stadium

Gotta be a CLASSIC played at the Minnesota Dome or such! ND legislators might add that a neutral location is part of it... xlolx

NDSU will play a "classic" in Minneapolis against the gophers every few years

NDSU doesn't owe UND anything, and vice versa. When it makes sense for both parties to play it will happen.... probably 2012

Syntax Error
January 24th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Nope NDSU finished a lowly 7th in FCS attendance last year Better check the attendance for classics.
What does that make UND?The University of Notre Dame.
The Highest attendance for an NDSU football game was actually against SDSUBecause they did not play their biggest rival, AGAIN.
NDSU will play a "classic" in Minneapolis against the gophers every few yearsDucking NODAK
When it makes sense for both parties to play it will happen....Like now and every year? xcoffeex

dlsiouxfan
January 24th, 2009, 07:39 PM
You ain't Montana or Delaware, you're a 2nd year FCS team that has never won a conference title as a certified D-I team or made the playoffs. As for location, my position is justified by your comment. Realize that Fargo is not big enough either. Gotta be a CLASSIC played at the Minnesota Dome or such! ND legislators might add that a neutral location is part of it... xlolx

Post of the year. NDSU is ducking UND and that's pretty much all there is to it. There will be one less excuse for them not to play us next season when the Bison roll out the gate with a 2-5 record and the Fargodome doesn't even come close to a sellout. With the attendance and "we sellout every game" excuse gone I have no doubt Gene Taylor will come up with yet another even more pathetic excuse not to resume the rivalry.

Thundar
January 24th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Post of the year. NDSU is ducking UND and that's pretty much all there is to it. There will be one less excuse for them not to play us next season when the Bison roll out the gate with a 2-5 record and the Fargodome doesn't even come close to a sellout. With the attendance and "we sellout every game" excuse gone I have no doubt Gene Taylor will come up with yet another even more pathetic excuse not to resume the rivalry.

Dumbest Post of The Year

Hansel
January 24th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Better check the attendance for classics.
Why? NDSU was 7th in attendance according the NCAA

The University of Notre Dame.
Nice Dodge xrolleyesx Also, I thought you pretended FBS teams didn't exist? xcoolx

Because they did not play their biggest rival.
UND has played several games in the dome... but SDSU holds the attendance record

AGAIN.Ducking NODAK.

AGAIN... UND's AD has NEVER contacted NDSU about a game... which you are conveniently ignoring. How can NDSU duck a game which hasn't been proposed

Like now and every year? xcoffeex

If UND thought it made sense to play the game every year... the game would have been played every year. They were "hoisted by their own petard".

In 2012 the game will be played

LakesBison
January 24th, 2009, 10:41 PM
You sioux fans are in a sandbox with your toy taken away.

but funny thing is, in 2002, WHEN UND HAD A PRESS CONF TO DECLARE THEY WILL NOT PLAY NDSU.... is when you took away your OWN TOY!

NDSU has moved on, tons of new fans have climbed aboard NDSU, with wins at Minnesota, Cent Michigan, Ball State... games at Wyoming and now Gateway games. NDSU doesnt need the game. and quite frankly, WE DONT WANT THEM !!

NDSU is king right now, and no reason to look back.

UND = U of Sioux Falls, Crookston, Jamestown College.. stick with them games.

Syntax Error
January 25th, 2009, 12:14 AM
NDSU is king right now...Uh, king of what?

JSUBison
January 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Dumbest Post of The Year

Even though it's only January, I'm willing to bet that your statement will hold true.

Gil Dobie
January 26th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Remember whioux turned down the 4 year home and home contract offered by NDSU in 2003. xrulesx

Gil Dobie
January 27th, 2009, 10:34 AM

Maybe UND can come up with $300,000 for NDSU to play at the Alerus. xcoffeex

Thundar
February 4th, 2009, 12:55 PM
This has recieved a NO PASS recommendation so its as good as DEAD!!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/229968/group/home/

MplsBison
February 4th, 2009, 01:19 PM
This has recieved a NO PASS recommendation so its as good as DEAD!!

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/229968/group/home/

Conveniently leaving out the relevent quote, I see. Your hate for UND shines bright.

“I can tell you with absolute certainty there will be another game,” said Keith Bjerke, vice president for university relations.

Done and done. NDSU and UND will play football games in the future.

Thundar
February 4th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Conveniently leaving out the relevent quote, I see. Your hate for UND shines bright.

Done and done. NDSU and UND will play football games in the future.

Umm the purpose was to highlight the fact that the BILL is dead, never mentioned anything about NDSU not playing UNDxrulesx check the linkxrulesxxwhistlex

darell1976
February 10th, 2009, 04:28 PM
The bill officially died today!

BISMARCK – The House today defeated a bill that sought to encourage North Dakota State University and the University of North Dakota to renew a football rivalry.

The House voted 90-3 against House Bill 1507, with sponsors Reps. Louise “Weezie” Potter, Eliot Glassheim and Corey Mock, all D-Grand Forks, voting in favor of it.

Rep. Scot Kelsh, D-Fargo, a co-sponsor of the bill who later withdrew his support, voted against it.

MplsBison
February 10th, 2009, 04:59 PM
We still don't have a home, non conference game scheduled for 09.

Every passing day means that UND in 09 is more and more possible!

Woody Hayes
February 10th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Uh, king of what?

From what I have gathered from ndsu fans I think he meant the king of football in general. The whole thing, pro, college, high school, jr high, pop warner, every rec league in the country, PS3, PS2, PS, XBOX, Gamecube, yeah even Gamecube! Shoulder pads, hip pads, helmets, knee pads, ANYTHING to do with football.

Those people think football was started in freakin' Fargo! Their first "real" season they are 6-5. STEP BACK!

AmsterBison
February 11th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I wonder if any of the three "yes" votes voted for the whole "change the name of North Dakota to make it sound warmer" deal back in 2001.

SteelCurtain
February 11th, 2009, 10:02 AM
From what I have gathered from ndsu fans I think he meant the king of football in general. The whole thing, pro, college, high school, jr high, pop warner, every rec league in the country, PS3, PS2, PS, XBOX, Gamecube, yeah even Gamecube! Shoulder pads, hip pads, helmets, knee pads, ANYTHING to do with football.

Those people think football was started in freakin' Fargo! Their first "real" season they are 6-5. STEP BACK!

Right, the season wasn't "real" when we beat Central Mich by 30(they won the mac that year) Minnesota, Cal-Poly, Cal-Davis, Sam Houston, GSU, Ball St.

None of those games counted. Our QB did not perform last year. Plain and simple. But if you think our Coach will tolerate another season like we just had you don't know him very well.

I have the utomost respect for UNI. We will have to raise out line play to compete with you guys. You are the by far the best the conference has to offer.

We are a couple of years from competing for the conference championship. But we should be ablel to go 8-3 and have a chance to get in the playoffs until then.

Going 20-2 in back to back years against the teams we played was "real" Go look at those schedules. It wasn't like we were playing Div II teams..

Benne
February 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM
None of those games counted. Our QB did not perform last year. Plain and simple. But if you think our Coach will tolerate another season like we just had you don't know him very well.

Wow, way to put it on one guy.

MplsBison
February 11th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm actually glad that most folks in the MVFC think that our 6-5 season is the norm.

Good. Let them doubt us.

I want those teams to overlook us on the schedule.

Kanitapja
February 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe UND can come up with $300,000 for them to play at the FFD. xcoffeex

FTFYxcoffeex

SteelCurtain
February 11th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Wow, way to put it on one guy.

That wasn't everything..our o-line, kicker, special teams and middle LB play very not good. But with that said if the QB just plays solid football and limits the TO's we are a minimum 8-3, 9-2 even with the other problems.

I like Nick Mertens, he has to learn keep the TO's down..

pcola
February 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I wonder if any of the three "yes" votes voted for the whole "change the name of North Dakota to make it sound warmer" deal back in 2001.

xlolxxlolx

JBB
February 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Wow!!! I can actually log onto this fish wrap.

The North Dakota State Legislature, in response to their #1 constituents needs, ran the bill past the governing body and were thoroughly defeated. But, the bill did work. It had the effect of making the two bargaining positions more equal. Up to that point NDSU was in complete control I still think they are.

Until UND actually presents an offer to NDSU I dont think anything will happen. But they have to be careful the offer has to be a good one and in good faith. The latter is hard for them to come by.

If they want a home/home forget it. All that does is cost NDSU money. A 2 for 1 in NDSUs favor might work.

One offer that would work immediately is for UND to pick up one of NDSUs FBS road dates and offer an appropriate guarantee. They wont do that because they want the game they need so desperately for free.

MplsBison
February 13th, 2009, 06:00 PM
The bill did nothing to either school's position on playing the other school. Both want to play when the time is right.

It wasn't designed to.

There are no bargaining positions because there is no bargaining going on.

You are so delusional about this issue. It's sick.

LakesBison
April 21st, 2009, 11:15 PM
your crazy!!

with the recent "racist" stuff going on with the und nickname and tribal votes, etc.

NDSU is gonna be done with UND for awhile.

who wants to be associcated with that crap??

besides, SUMMIT League said no, Big Ten Teams say don't play them.

NDSU will follow suit and not play them for a LOOOOOOOOONG while.