PDA

View Full Version : JMU gets 3 transfers

BDKJMU
January 20th, 2009, 04:56 PM
http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=34824&CHID=3&sub=

The Fork Union TE would be off of their PG team, not the HS team. The PG team is loaded with Div I recruits. They sign a double digit # of guys Div I every year. Will be the 4th JMU player that played on FUMA's PG team. Good thing is is like playing JUCO, but they don't lose a year of eligibility. They come in 2 yrs removed from HS ball, and are more physically mature.

ASUTed
January 20th, 2009, 06:48 PM
I love how the article states that the DT that failed the drug test "has declared himself eligible for the NFL draft"

Talk about PR spin

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I love how the article states that the DT that failed the drug test "has declared himself eligible for the NFL draft"

Talk about PR spin

i dont think its spin, thats just what he did .... its not a stretch

GannonFan
January 20th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Ok, call me negative, but the guy from Army is transferring with only a year left at Army? Not being all that familiar with the military academy, how common is it for someone to go through 3 years of education there and then leave with one year to go? Granted, people do that at other institutions, but the military academy is not your normal other institution. Why didn't he play much last year after seeing so much playing time the year before?

Brad82
January 20th, 2009, 08:25 PM
No disrespect,but ARMY would win 4 games in CAA.
Barely a notch above Rhody,NE,Hofstra and Towson.
Their FB players are not that good.

mcveyrl
January 20th, 2009, 09:05 PM

Talk about PR spin

Talk about spin. xrolleyesx The first sentence in the article says the replacement is for a player that failed a drug test.

GF, that's a good question about leaving Army. How does that affect his service commitment? Maybe he got spooked with the commitment. Either way, it's a legitimate question. I don't think this guy's going to have much of an impact even though they're couching it in terms of a replacement for Skolnitsky.

BDKJMU
January 20th, 2009, 10:13 PM
Talk about spin. xrolleyesx The first sentence in the article says the replacement is for a player that failed a drug test.

GF, that's a good question about leaving Army. How does that affect his service commitment? Maybe he got spooked with the commitment. Either way, it's a legitimate question. I don't think this guy's going to have much of an impact even though they're couching it in terms of a replacement for Skolnitsky.

As far as I know once you start you're junior academic yr at the academies you begin owing time on your 5 yr commitment, so I'm not sure what his deal is, unless he's somehow getting it deferred for a yr.

He did play one season at USMAPS before West Point, so he will be like a 5th yr senior.
http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48073&SPID=4587&DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1146304&Q_SEASON=2008

08' JMU DL 2 deep:
DT
Sam Daniels, RJr: 3rd team CAA (no DT made 1st or 2nd team)
J.D. Skolnitsky RJr: suspended by NCAA
Ronnell Brown RSo: likely starts in JD's spot (he played quite a bit and looked pretty good)
Dominique White RJr:

DE:
Hassan Abdul-Wahid, RSr: 2nd team All CAA
Arthur Moats: Jr: 3rd team All CAA
Quintrel Thomas, RSo (listed 6'5", 255)
Shelton Johnson: RSr

09'
DT
Sam Daniels- starter
Ronnell Brown- likely starter
Dominique White (5'8", 285 is primarily a run stopper, not going to start)
?

DE
Arthur Moats: starter
Q Thomas: likely starter
?
?

2 of those spots should be filled by guys who were true or redshirt freshman this past season, and there are a # of them with some talent. Moats and Daniels if they can stay healthy are likely 1st or 2nd team CAA (5 of the 8 on the 1st & 2nd team DL this past season were seniors). This Emmons kid from Army will likely be on the 2 deep at either DT or DE, but I doubt starts. JMU de line will likely be very good, just not quite as good as it would have been with JD.

th0m
January 21st, 2009, 03:15 AM

The commitment question has been asked on the CAAZone as well, apparently he will still have to fulfill that commitment after entering his 3rd year at the academy, which he did.

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2009, 06:55 AM
The article didn't do a very good job of explaining the transfer timing....It made it sound like Matthews just called a guy who was still committed to playing at Army and said, "Hey, we have a need, want to come play for us?"

Obviously that is not allowed and I'm sure it didn't happen like that, but the reporter didn't do Matthews any favors in describing it that way.

BDKJMU
January 21st, 2009, 07:25 AM
The article didn't do a very good job of explaining the transfer timing....It made it sound like Matthews just called a guy who was still committed to playing at Army and said, "Hey, we have a need, want to come play for us?"

Obviously that is not allowed and I'm sure it didn't happen like that, but the reporter didn't do Matthews any favors in describing it that way.

No, the kid approached Matthews 1st in Nov. JMU has an Army transfer O-lineman from 08' who introduced Emmons to Matthews in Nov.

"Current Duke Ryan Flanagan, another Army transfer, introduced Emmons to Matthews in November, but Matthews said at the time JMU was interested only in transfer defensive backs. After Skolnitsky received a career-ending, one-year ban for failing an NCAA drug test after JMU's playoff win over Villanova, Matthews said he contacted Emmons to say the Dukes were now interested in his services.

"We were kind of on the fence," Matthews said. "But when we lost J.D., we had to do something.""

BDKJMU
January 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Reason he started a bunch of games for Army in 07' but didn't play much last season is because he missed most of the season with an undisclosed injury.

http://www.collegeinjuryreport.com/injury-reports.php

Franks Tanks
January 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
As far as I know once you start you're junior academic yr at the academies you begin owing time on your 5 yr commitment, so I'm not sure what his deal is, unless he's somehow getting it deferred for a yr.

He did play one season at USMAPS before West Point, so he will be like a 5th yr senior.
http://www.goarmysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48073&SPID=4587&DB_OEM_ID=11100&ATCLID=1146304&Q_SEASON=2008

08' JMU DL 2 deep:
DT
Sam Daniels, RJr: 3rd team CAA (no DT made 1st or 2nd team)
J.D. Skolnitsky RJr: suspended by NCAA
Ronnell Brown RSo: likely starts in JD's spot (he played quite a bit and looked pretty good)
Dominique White RJr:

DE:
Hassan Abdul-Wahid, RSr: 2nd team All CAA
Arthur Moats: Jr: 3rd team All CAA
Quintrel Thomas, RSo (listed 6'5", 255)
Shelton Johnson: RSr

09'
DT
Sam Daniels- starter
Ronnell Brown- likely starter
Dominique White (5'8", 285 is primarily a run stopper, not going to start)
?

DE
Arthur Moats: starter
Q Thomas: likely starter
?
?

2 of those spots should be filled by guys who were true or redshirt freshman this past season, and there are a # of them with some talent. Moats and Daniels if they can stay healthy are likely 1st or 2nd team CAA (5 of the 8 on the 1st & 2nd team DL this past season were seniors). This Emmons kid from Army will likely be on the 2 deep at either DT or DE, but I doubt starts. JMU de line will likely be very good, just not quite as good as it would have been with JD.

That is correct. If you leave the academy after your sophmore year you are bound for service. This usually means the reserves as an elisted soldier. This since this kid was in the system for 4 years he probably has a rather lengthy reserves commitment ahead of him.

bluehenbillk
January 21st, 2009, 08:16 AM
Someone educate me here because the article doesn't make sense. It says the kid from Army has 1 year of eligibility left. My understanding of the transfer rules prohibit 1-year transfers unless the kid has graduated, which I doubt he has, otherwise he'd have a military commitment. Will he use his red-shirt year this year & then play in 2010?

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2009, 08:59 AM
No, the kid approached Matthews 1st in Nov. JMU has an Army transfer O-lineman from 08' who introduced Emmons to Matthews in Nov.

"Current Duke Ryan Flanagan, another Army transfer, introduced Emmons to Matthews in November, but Matthews said at the time JMU was interested only in transfer defensive backs. After Skolnitsky received a career-ending, one-year ban for failing an NCAA drug test after JMU's playoff win over Villanova, Matthews said he contacted Emmons to say the Dukes were now interested in his services.

"We were kind of on the fence," Matthews said. "But when we lost J.D., we had to do something.""

I guess my point is, the kid was still an active member of Army's team, right? I didn't think you could be an active member of one team and be talking to the head coach at another one at the same time about transferring. Mike London can't just call Scotty Reynolds tomorrow and say, "Hey man, we could use a kick returner next year. Are you interested?"

If you have asked for and received your release, that's fine, but Army was still playing games in November, so that's why I was confused. Maybe I have the rule wrong.

HIU 93
January 21st, 2009, 12:08 PM
Ok, call me negative, but the guy from Army is transferring with only a year left at Army? Not being all that familiar with the military academy, how common is it for someone to go through 3 years of education there and then leave with one year to go? Granted, people do that at other institutions, but the military academy is not your normal other institution. Why didn't he play much last year after seeing so much playing time the year before?

He was probably discharged from service. At the service academies, you have technically enlisted when you are accepted into the school. he may have done something which got him kicked out of the Army.

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2009, 12:50 PM
he may have done something which got him kicked out of the Army.

Maybe he used some unapproved supplements:D

elon77
January 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM

"We were kind of on the fence," I don't understand did JMU not have any backup linemen who could play next year? JMU wasn't that thin in the line were they? xconfusedx

mcveyrl
January 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM
"We were kind of on the fence," I don't understand did JMU not have any backup linemen who could play next year? JMU wasn't that thin in the line were they? xconfusedx

I think it's more about the depth chart. I don't know that this guy from Army is going to contribute a whole lot more than filling a spot. For starters, he's a DE and we need somebody at DT (not that hard to shift, but for only one year I don't think he's going to be that effective).

BDKJMU
January 21st, 2009, 05:18 PM
I guess my point is, the kid was still an active member of Army's team, right? I didn't think you could be an active member of one team and be talking to the head coach at another one at the same time about transferring. Mike London can't just call Scotty Reynolds tomorrow and say, "Hey man, we could use a kick returner next year. Are you interested?"

If you have asked for and received your release, that's fine, but Army was still playing games in November, so that's why I was confused. Maybe I have the rule wrong.

I doubt it. He probably left the Academy in Nov or Dec. He certainly wasn't there this month.

BDKJMU
January 21st, 2009, 05:30 PM
I think it's more about the depth chart. I don't know that this guy from Army is going to contribute a whole lot more than filling a spot. For starters, he's a DE and we need somebody at DT (not that hard to shift, but for only one year I don't think he's going to be that effective).

Se my previous post on the depth chart for DL. With JD gone, that leaves still 3 of 4 on the 2 deep DT returning, but only 2 of 4 on the de end. Could use a de end as much as a DT. Maybe this kid after leaving West Point likely last month will have 8 months without having to do all those 3-5 mile runs and could add on 10-20 lbs and play at around 6'4", 260-270, so he could very well play DT. Plus, Mickey wants DL that can run, so you often see guys get moved from DE to DT (JD being an example when he was moved from DE to DT during 08' Spring Ball. Who knows, maybe this Emmons kid will push Ronnell for that 2nd DT starting spot.

Quote from Aug 07':
"Right from the beginning," senior tackle John Baranowsky said, "Coach Price said to all of us, ‘The best four are going to play. If I have to move a tackle to end, an end to tackle, hell, bring a linebacker in, it doesn’t matter. We’re going to find some players to give us the best four guys.’"
http://www.dnronline.com/details.php?AID=11709&CHID=3

Eight Legger
January 21st, 2009, 09:32 PM

Not to belabor the point, but if the contact occurred in November -- when Army was still playing -- then that is what doesn't make sense to me. Unless active players whose teams are still active are allowed to openly approach other coaches about transfers. Or maybe he had already asked for his release but was still playing, I don't know.