PDA

View Full Version : CCSU to face Ivy League opponent!

aceinthehole
January 16th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Central Connecticut will face its first ever IVY opponent (Columbia) in football. It appears that CCSU replaced Iona on the Lions schedule.

http://www.gocolumbialions.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9600&ATCLID=3647439

FYI - Here's the tentative 2009 CCSU non-conference schedule:

Sept 5 at Lehigh (Patriot League)
Sept 12 at William and Mary (CAA)
Sept 26 at Columbia (Ivy)

*at Bryant (Independent) - Assuming this is a return game from last season, but without a home non-conference game, this is subject to change.

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yikes -- when do you guys play at home? Sept 19? Or are you going to have to wait to October?

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
CCSU may actually outdraw Columbia at that game! The '07 Harvard-Columbia game in NYC drew only 2500 fans, and Harvard had the majority.

TheValleyRaider
January 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM

*at Bryant (Independent) - Assuming this is a return game from last season, but without a home non-conference game, this is subject to change.

That's a pretty good looking schedule xthumbsupx

UNHWildCats
January 16th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I saw somnewhere that CCSU and Hoftra were playing?

Franks Tanks
January 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Central Connecticut will face its first ever IVY opponent (Columbia) in football. It appears that CCSU replaced Iona on the Lions schedule.

Congrats on that schuedule. You will have a very good chance against Columbia in that one

aceinthehole
January 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I saw somnewhere that CCSU and Hoftra were playing?

They were (and might play next year).

I had heard directly from CCSU sources that we agreed to a home/home with Hofstra begining in New Britain in 2009. I have to assume it was mutually agreed to make a change and will hope to have the details later.

I'm guessing we will see Hofstra at CCSU on the schedule in 2010.

Go...gate
January 16th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Nice schedule!

Tribe4SF
January 16th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Do you guys have many fans that travel? Night games in Williamsburg are alot of fun, and the area has lots to do.

ngineer
January 16th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Do you guys have many fans that travel? Night games in Williamsburg are alot of fun, and the area has lots to do.

I agree. You have to make a four-day weekend of it. Yorktown battlefield, Jamestown, Busch Gardens and, of course, Williamsburg. Last time Lehigh played Bil and Mary the whole family went down and we had a great time.

Syntax Error
January 16th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Good for CCSU and Columbia.

Seawolf97
January 16th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Nice schedule. Good to see CCSU stepping out with some nice non conference games.

YaleFootballFan
January 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Good for CCSU and Columbia.

Hopefully it won't be just for one year. It would be nice to see the Lions and the Blue Devils play every year.

Seawolf97
January 16th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hopefully it won't be just for one year. It would be nice to see the Lions and the Blue Devils play every year.

I agree. Im glad we have a 4 year home and away with Brown. The CCSU- Columbia matchup is good for both programs.

Husky Alum
January 16th, 2009, 09:47 PM

I hear there's a pretty good tailgate near the stadium too. You'll get more food offered to you than you ever have in your life, and the libations flow freely.

The company ain't bad either. ;-)

Brad82
January 17th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Coach Mac has really stepped up the schedule!
Wow. Really makes it interesting.

aceinthehole
January 17th, 2009, 02:07 PM

According to the New London Day newspaper it may be a 2 year home/home deal.

CCSU will likely only bring a small crowd (500) of family/friends down to W&M, but I am making that trip from DC!!! We will likely have a much bigger crowd at Columbia because its in NYC, close to campus and our recruiting area.

Coach Mac has stepped up the CCSU schedule over the years (Georgia Southern, NDSU, Western Mich (I-A), Towson, Delaware State, W&M, Lehigh). We are very happy in the direction of the program, he just needs to get over that 2 bumps in the road (Albany/Monmouth).

Brad82
January 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Ace,
Can you please post link to New London Day article?

aceinthehole
January 18th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Ace,
Can you please post link to New London Day article?

Sorry, it was a different paper. Also, I'm infering it a home/home for a 2 season series although it doesn't specifically mention where the games will be played. However, this article was published almost 2 weeks before Columbia released their 2009 schedule, so it seems reliable.

By Ron Coderre
For The Norwich Bulletin
Posted Jan 03, 2009 @ 11:11 PM

They say that divine intervention occurs in strange ways. Take the case of Griswold quarterback Sean Brackett, who is headed to Columbia University in New York to play for the Lions in September.

At the funeral of a former well-known local athlete, Phil Larrow, Norries Wilson, the head football coach for Columbia, served as the lector at the Mass. Wilson is the husband of Brenda Marquis, the former Plainfield High School basketball standout and a member of the 35-0 University of Connecticut Huskies basketball team in 1994-95. Marquis was also the niece of Larrow.

Following the funeral, the Rev. John O’Neill, pastor of St. James Church in Danielson and the celebrant of the funeral Mass, spoke with Coach Wilson. He told him of Brackett, who was not only a good football player but also a good student. The rest is history. Wilson and his staff watched films of Brackett and saw him in action, offered him a scholarship and thanks to Rev. O’Neill, Brackett is headed to New York in September.

Brackett’s brother, Brendan, is a starting lineman at Central Connecticut State University. There’s a strong possibility that Columbia and CCSU may be squaring off against each other in the next two seasons. And now you know the rest of the story.
http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/x1060495801/Ron-Coderre-Ball-continues-to-make-presence-known-on-hardwood