PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Football Dinner - NYC

Green26
January 15th, 2009, 02:01 PM
The Ivy Football Dinner is next week in NYC. Great and fun event. I assume it's unique in college football, in that all conference schools participate. Black tie at the Waldorf. I believe there were 1400 attendees at the last one. The event is held every two years.

Each school honors one former players for what they did and achieved after college. The player just needs to have been on the roster, and doesn't have to have been any good.

Jack Ford, Yale '72, is the MC, and has been in prior years too. He's very good at it.

Here's a link with some information. Note this years honorees on the right side of the first page.

http://www.ivyfootballassociation.org/index.php

Here's another link to the current and past Dartmouth honorees:

http://www.ivyfootballassociation.org/honoree.php?honoree=Crouthamel

Is anyone going? I'll be there.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM
$500** for graduates 2002 and earlier.
$275** for graduates 2003 to present.

** The Ivy Football Association is a 501(c)(3) organization. In accordance with IRS charitable giving rules, you can only deduct that portion of your contribution for which you did not receive gifts or services. Received services at the Ivy Football Association Dinner are valued at $270

Cleets
January 15th, 2009, 02:11 PM
$500** for graduates 2002 and earlier.
$275** for graduates 2003 to present.

** The Ivy Football Association is a 501(c)(3) organization. In accordance with IRS charitable giving rules, you can only deduct that portion of your contribution for which you did not receive gifts or services. Received services at the Ivy Football Association Dinner are valued at $270

xshhhx shhh....

Green26
January 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Here are this year's honorees:

Steven R. Jordan
Senior Project Manager, Ryan Companies Inc., Former Pro-Bowl Tight End, Minnesota Vikings
BROWN '82

Robert K. Kraft
Founder, Chairman, CEO, The Kraft Group
Owner, New England Patriots
COLUMBIA '63

Ed Marinaro
Television and Film Actor, Former NFL Player
CORNELL '72

Jake Crouthamel
Former Director of Athletics, Syracuse University
Former Head Coach, Dartmouth College
DARTMOUTH '60

John Chester Culver
Former U.S. Congressman and Senator from the State of Iowa
HARVARD '54

Robert A. Fox
Chairman and CEO,
R.A.F. Industries Inc.
PENNSYLVANIA '52

Donald H. Rumsfeld
Former U.S. Secretary of Defense
PRINCETON '54

Stone Phillips
Award-Winning Television Journalist
YALE '77

Ivytalk
January 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM
WTF? John Culver for Harvard? I'd shell out 500 bucks for Pat McInally or Dan Jiggetts(who was honored in '01), but not that old relic.

Go...gate
January 16th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Rumsfeld was a reserve on Charlie Caldwell's 1951 9-0 Princeton team, which won the Lambert Trophy and finished #6 in the Nation. I believe he was a starter on the 8-1 1952 team, and the 1953 5-4 team. I have met him and found him to be a very nice guy.

I don't know how the Yalies here feel, but I always thought Stone Phillips was a fine QB.

ngineer
January 16th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Rumsfeld was a reserve on Charlie Caldwell's 1951 9-0 Princeton team, which won the Lambert Trophy and finished #6 in the Nation. I believe he was a starter on the 8-1 1952 team, and the 1953 5-4 team. I have met him and found him to be a very nice guy.

I don't know how the Yalies here feel, but I always thought Stone Phillips was a fine QB.

Rumsfeld also was on the wrestling team at Princeton. Was a no-show at the EIWA 75th anniversary dinner a few years back--said he was 'tied up'.....xrolleyesx

Cleets
January 16th, 2009, 08:34 PM
WTF? John Culver for Harvard? I'd shell out 500 bucks for Pat McInally or Dan Jiggetts(who was honored in '01), but not that old relic.

Kraft would be a hoot...!!!! xlolx
(and stone Phillips might be interesting for a few minutes)

Green26
January 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Honoree Ed Marinaro of Cornell will be good and speak well. He spoke briefly two years ago, when he introduced the Harvard running back, Clifton Dawson, who broke Marinaro's career Ivy rushing record (or something like that).

I believe Marinaro still has (or had for a long time) the NCAA, or D-I, career average per game rushing record. He once held about 15 NCAA records.

Trivia question: When Marinaro broke career rushing average per game record in 1971, whose record did he break? Answer: Jim Thorpe

How many years did Marinaro lead the nation in rushing? Two.

When he was runner up for the Heisman, who won? Pat Sullivan of Auburn.

How many Super Bowls did he start in? Two.

Ivytalk
January 18th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Kraft would be a hoot...!!!! xlolx
(and stone Phillips might be interesting for a few minutes)

My favorite recollection of "Stoner" Phillips is his getting sacked by my hallmate Pete Mee in the 4th quarter of the '75 Game.;)