PDA

View Full Version : JMU Player to Declare Early for NFL?

Eight Legger
January 15th, 2009, 11:34 AM
JMU is calling a press conference today to announce, allegedly, that an underclassmen is leaving early, possibly for the NFL. Is this a joke? Does Scotty McGee think he will get drafted? Someone clue us in....

http://www.dnronline.com/news_details.php?AID=34716&CHID=3

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 11:37 AM
JMU is calling a press conference today to announce, allegedly, that an underclassmen is leaving early, possibly for the NFL. Is this a joke? Does Scotty McGee think he will get drafted? Someone clue us in....

The only thing I can think is that somebody's grades aren't up to snuff and they are "declaring" for the NFL draft.

I always thought that Scotty's grades were good, so I don't think it's him, but I could be wrong.

appfan2008
January 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
dumb... unless whoever it is will be a first or second rounder (i doubt it) then i dont understand it...

spiderman87
January 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
nice advice mickey...

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2009, 12:06 PM
JMU is calling a press conference today to announce, allegedly, that an underclassmen is leaving early, possibly for the CFL. Is this a joke? Does Scotty McGee think he will get drafted? Someone clue us in....

As you were

Dignan
January 15th, 2009, 12:10 PM
Nope. JD Sknolnitsky has been banned from the 2009 season for testing positive for a prohibited substance after the Villanova game.

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=34724&CHID=3

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Frankly, I would have rather seen someone else try to make the jump rather than that news. Sorry to hear. Hopefully the guy gets his life straightened out.

Eight Legger
January 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Why call a press conference for this? To embarrass the kid? To act tough about it? Weird.

DSUrocks07
January 15th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Why call a press conference for this? To embarrass the kid? To act tough about it? Weird.

Exactly. This is NOT the kind of thing that you would want to draw attention too. This isn't the pros. Just a kid who made a bad decision. xsmhx

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 12:51 PM

You either call a press conference or do a press release. Either way it's embarrassing for everybody. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances that warranted a press conference. Maybe they needed to explain why he played in the Montana game. xeyebrowx

whitey
January 15th, 2009, 12:57 PM
You either call a press conference or do a press release. Either way it's embarrassing for everybody. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances that warranted a press conference. Maybe they needed to explain why he played in the Montana game. xeyebrowx

I wonder why a press release wouldn't have just sufficed in this case?

Anyway, I kind of doubt that they need to explain why he played in the Montana game. How long is the turn around on those test results? 6 days? The reason I ask is that they probably didn't even know about it before the Montana game.

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Anyway, I kind of doubt that they need to explain why he played in the Montana game. How long is the turn around on those test results? 6 days? The reason I ask is that they probably didn't even know about it before the Montana game.

Good point about the Montana game. I'm not sure what the deal is. The "Breaking News" blurb just says they announced he was gone. I'm assuming if they gave more details, they'll be out soon.

Pitz
January 15th, 2009, 01:28 PM
JMU Player to Declare Early for NFL

Fail.

UNI Pike
January 15th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Drug test results are usually available immediately (instant test for limited scope of drugs) to 48-72 hours for a lab based test, which is what NCAA uses, to my knowledge.

Any further delay would only involve the following:

1. Medical Review Officer (MD) attempting to reach the player to find out about any medications they may be on/medical conditions)
2. Retest of split sample
3. Appeal process

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Nope. JD Sknolnitsky has been banned from the 2009 season for testing positive for a prohibited substance after the Villanova game.

wow. xeekx xeekx

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 02:34 PM
Fail.

Actually, he is declaring for the draft...not necessarily planning on being drafted.

Here's an updated story:

I know this was an innocent mistake, but as a player, you've got to be aware of what you're putting in your body. On top of that, if you've got access to nutritionists and trainers, you HAVE to let them see anything you've ordered outside of their program.

I don't know what the program could have done to prevent this, but there should definitely be some kind of reflection on what can be done.

GannonFan
January 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Actually, he is declaring for the draft...not necessarily planning on being drafted.

Here's an updated story:

I know this was an innocent mistake, but as a player, you've got to be aware of what you're putting in your body. On top of that, if you've got access to nutritionists and trainers, you HAVE to let them see anything you've ordered outside of their program.

I don't know what the program could have done to prevent this, but there should definitely be some kind of reflection on what can be done.

It's a shame that the penalty means the end of his college playing days, but I agree, you have to know what you are putting into your body, especially when playing an NCAA sport that does drug test. Shouldn't take anything without first getting the clearance from a staff trainer to take it - heck, I wouldn't even take Tylenol without being sure it wouldn't cause a false positive. Hopefully this a lesson that a bunch of other players can learn without repeating the same mistake.

Maroon&White
January 15th, 2009, 03:02 PM
BS it was an innocent mistake. He willingly took the supplement, it was not a mistake. Don't take a supplement when you don't know what it's made of.

Eight Legger
January 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
This whole thing is odd. If Matthews thinks so much of the kid and truly believes it was an honest mistake, then why would he kick him off the team for it? Is that school policy? NCAA policy? Something they just made up today?

Declaring for the draft is also kind of comical, but at least I can understand why he would do that.

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 03:26 PM
This whole thing is odd. If Matthews thinks so much of the kid and truly believes it was an honest mistake, then why would he kick him off the team for it? Is that school policy? NCAA policy? Something they just made up today?

Declaring for the draft is also kind of comical, but at least I can understand why he would do that.

Wow. Second guess much?

There's a reason that they are "banned" substances. Somebody banned them. Probably the NCAA, and I'm sure there's a school policy that incorporates the NCAA policies. Plus, no matter how much you like somebody, when they break a rule like that the consequences have to be such that other players aren't looking for a break, too. EDIT: The updated story says that it is an NCAA mandated ban.

The draft thing is common for underclassmen that get into trouble like this. There's a whole thread on it in the FCS and the Pros forum. I also hinted at this in my first post (although I had the circumstances wrong).

UNHFan99
January 15th, 2009, 03:39 PM
For some reason they test the losing team after playoff games and not the winning team. I think it was a misprint saying it was the nova game where he tested positive, unless it was a seperate NCAA drug test and not a NCAA playoff drug test.

mcveyrl
January 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
For some reason they test the losing team after playoff games and not the winning team. I think it was a misprint saying it was the nova game where he tested positive, unless it was a seperate NCAA drug test and not a NCAA playoff drug test.

I believe they test both teams after the quarterfinal games.

PantherRob82
January 15th, 2009, 03:54 PM

They tested both teams after UNI-UNH

smallcollegefbfan
January 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Wow. Second guess much?

There's a reason that they are "banned" substances. Somebody banned them. Probably the NCAA, and I'm sure there's a school policy that incorporates the NCAA policies. Plus, no matter how much you like somebody, when they break a rule like that the consequences have to be such that other players aren't looking for a break, too. EDIT: The updated story says that it is an NCAA mandated ban.

The draft thing is common for underclassmen that get into trouble like this. There's a whole thread on it in the FCS and the Pros forum. I also hinted at this in my first post (although I had the circumstances wrong).

The NFL also has to declare you draft eligible. I wonder if they will approve him for the official list of draft eligible underclassmen? There is a D2 CB who had to declare but he won't be listed, although, he will be eligible to be signed after the draft.

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM
"Matthews said Skolnitsky had been taking an over-the-counter weight gainer and didn't realize the product contained anything banned by the NCAA."
http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/37647309.html

Its too bad, because Skolnitsky would have been part of could have been a monster JMU de line next season with Sam Daniels & Arthur Moats returning.

ur2k
January 15th, 2009, 07:52 PM
That's just plain odd that they would announce this via a press conference. Maybe they think this was a way to get the kid some buzz going into the draft? Kinda the any press is good press school of thought?

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
Is this kid going to be a pretty significant loss for JMU? Do they have someone(s) to fill in for him next year?

JmuSkinsfan
January 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yes / No. DL was a big strength going into next year with Sam Daniels, Arthur Moats and Skolnitzky returning. He is a great player but Sam Daniels was probably the best lineman and Moats was a close second the way he played down the stretch. JMU has a lot of depth at DL, or so our recruiting classes the past few years would lead us to think so.

Definitely not a good thing to lose a solid starter though. Regardless of who is behind him

BDKJMU
January 15th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Courtesy of Duuukes Law over on the JMU board of the caazone:

"The NCAA regulates the protein to calorie ratio in protein supplements. A protein supplement that contains greater than 30% of its calories from protein is in violation of this rule. 50% or more of the protein you can buy at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe would fail this NCAA limit. Thats why Muscle Milk for example distributes a special NCAA version. This product is actually given out free to the athletes at most schools, and according to other sources, at JMU. What this article says to me is that he took some of the GNC stuff thats not conforming to the ratio of proper protein."

Why would it matter if some protein shake had 50% or 70% protein? What's the big deal? Anybody else know anything about this?

GannonFan
January 15th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Courtesy of Duuukes Law over on the JMU board of the caazone:

"The NCAA regulates the protein to calorie ratio in protein supplements. A protein supplement that contains greater than 30% of its calories from protein is in violation of this rule. 50% or more of the protein you can buy at GNC or Vitamin Shoppe would fail this NCAA limit. Thats why Muscle Milk for example distributes a special NCAA version. This product is actually given out free to the athletes at most schools, and according to other sources, at JMU. What this article says to me is that he took some of the GNC stuff thats not conforming to the ratio of proper protein."

Why would it matter if some protein shake had 50% or 70% protein? What's the big deal? Anybody else know anything about this?

The NCAA regulates what schools can distribute to their players, and in your question they regulate how much protein to calorie ratio they can provide, in part to maintain competitive balance. Programs with more money could obviously spend a lot more on supplements to build muscle, give energy, etc, versus a less affluent program. And the other reason why they regulate it is that the NCAA doesn't think the supplement industry is well regulated and they wanted some measure to guard against that.

However, I think the rule you are referencing there only governs what schools can distribute to their players - if a player buys it himself/herself then there's not a problem.

The problem comes, like in this case, when the player uses something that has a banned substance in it. That has nothing to do with protein/calorie ratios. In this case, they said he tested positive for a banned substance - the protein/calorie thing doesn't really apply here.

JMU DUUUKES LAW
January 15th, 2009, 11:15 PM
The NCAA regulates what schools can distribute to their players, and in your question they regulate how much protein to calorie ratio they can provide, in part to maintain competitive balance. Programs with more money could obviously spend a lot more on supplements to build muscle, give energy, etc, versus a less affluent program. And the other reason why they regulate it is that the NCAA doesn't think the supplement industry is well regulated and they wanted some measure to guard against that.

However, I think the rule you are referencing there only governs what schools can distribute to their players - if a player buys it himself/herself then there's not a problem.

The problem comes, like in this case, when the player uses something that has a banned substance in it. That has nothing to do with protein/calorie ratios. In this case, they said he tested positive for a banned substance - the protein/calorie thing doesn't really apply here.

im pretty sure it applies to stuff they buy on their own too

JMU Newbill
January 16th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Having a press conference to announce your intent to enter the NFL draft is sort of standard protocol, wouldn't you say?

I would think its particularly important for an FCS player to make as big of a deal about coming out early as anyone, if nothing else, to try to get the attention of as many scouts/teams as possible.

Is this going to help at all??? Probably not. Did the kid mess up... yes he did. But atleast have the class to wish him good luck and let him enjoy the day while he announces his intent.

And fyi.... some pretty classless posts in this thread from people who would be the first to point out a classless post from a JMU person.

elon77
January 16th, 2009, 07:38 AM
He should have eaten more Wheaties, that's the breakfast of champions.xnodx

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 16th, 2009, 10:07 AM
And fyi.... some pretty classless posts in this thread from people who would be the first to point out a classless post from a JMU person.

Aside from #18, which I would consider borderline, which ones are you talking about?

Tribe4SF
January 16th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Having a press conference to announce your intent to enter the NFL draft is sort of standard protocol, wouldn't you say?

I would think its particularly important for an FCS player to make as big of a deal about coming out early as anyone, if nothing else, to try to get the attention of as many scouts/teams as possible.

Is this going to help at all??? Probably not. Did the kid mess up... yes he did. But atleast have the class to wish him good luck and let him enjoy the day while he announces his intent.

I haven't seen much comment here that you could say was classless.

As for letting the guy "enjoy the day while he announces his intent", he didn't announce anything at the press conference because he wasn't there, and has been unavailable for comment.

Mickey made it clear that the training staff is available to check any product a player plans to use. Skolnitsky had checked things before, but not this time. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why. He ordered it off the internet, waited for it to be delivered, and then used it. Sorry, but not checking with the staff during that process is no simple oversight.

Characterizing him as a good guy who made an honest mistake is a bit much to swallow. He hurt himself, his team, and his school, and I don't buy that he didn't know the risk he was taking.

JMU Newbill
January 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Well, I for one like to look for the good in people. I'd like to think that it was an honest mistake. Even if it wasn't, he is paying the price for it and taking his punishment in stride.

I wish him the best of luck. Probably won't get drafted, but hey, there's this guy starting at linebacker for the Eagles this weekend. His name is Akeem Jordan. He went to JMU. He didn't get drafted either. Ever heard of him?

BDKJMU
January 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
JD was probably the 3rd or 4th best de lineman on a very good JMU de line. Well, he was the only one of the 4 who didn't get any All CAA honors (granted, on the 3 All CAA teams there were 10 Def ends and only 2 DTs. If there had been 2 DTs on each team he would likely have gotten 2nd or 3rd team All CAA. JD won't be drafted. He MIGHT get an invite to a rookie tryout. At 6'5", 255/260 he isn't big enough for DT, and not fast/quick enough for DE. Now if he could somehow put on 30-40 lbs of good weight he'd be big/strong enough for DT, but then would invaribaly lose a step or 2, and not be fast/quick enough. I would love to see him make an NFL team, but bottom line is I would be very surprised, even shocked if that happened.

He might be able to make a CFL or Arena Ball team if he decides to pursue that route. Otherwise, his football career is probably over, or will be come next Aug. Its a shame, because he sounds like a great kid, and with him back JMU would have had the potential to have a monster De line next season. Now JMU should still have a good de line, as of now JD is the only DT not returning from the 2 deep. #93 R-Soph Ronnell Brown, listed at 6'2", 260, should move into the starting lineup at DT. Brown played a good bit this past season, and 07'. There won't be a big drop off with him, but a slight one. It will also hurt a little depth wise. Outside the 3 DTs now returning from the 2 deep, there are 4 more on the roster, 2 true freshman, a r-Fr, and a true soph who are candidates to move into the 2 deep. And of course I'm sure JMU would be open to a I-A DT transfer.

An updated story from WHSV with a video:
http://www.whsv.com/sports/headlines/37647309.html