PDA

View Full Version : Wofforded award goes to

GSU Eagle
November 20th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Youngstown St. I can't believe YSU got left out and Lafayette gets in.

ISUMatt
November 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Yea thats aweful!!!

Cincy App
November 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
You can count on the Committee to seemingly leave a deserving team out. Tough break for YSU. Congratulations to Lafayette after a big win yesterday though. And welcome to Boone!!

GSUISBACK
November 20th, 2005, 12:35 PM
WHen will ppl see that that PFL is the weakest playoff conference check the records

lugo02
November 20th, 2005, 12:36 PM
PFL = Pioneer Football League

rcny46
November 20th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Youngstown St. I can't believe YSU got left out and Lafayette gets in.

It's a frigging sham.Period.It turns me off to the whole damn process.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 12:41 PM
WHen will ppl see that that PFL is the weakest playoff conference check the records

I seem to remember Colgate reaching the finals in '03.

Eagle_77
November 20th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Yeah and what happened to them. I hope YSU fans had their bottoms all lubed up for this one.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Please check. Really. I don't know for sure but I think in recent years the PL (not Pioneer League) has fared better than the OVC and MEAC.

The past 5 years have seen the PL represent themselves very well thank you. :rolleyes:

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yeah and what happened to them.

Same thing that happend to SIU and UNI. Care to call the Gateway crap too?

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2005, 12:56 PM
YSU is still better than some teams who made the field and will feel shortchanged.

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Bush League.

Time to move on to I-A. :mad:

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 12:59 PM
I really hate it for the Penguin fans.

I would have never thought that Lafayette would make it.

I just once would like the Committee to give explanations why they sent Teams where and why certain Teams got in over others.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
To you Gateway guys...

Does Lehigh 37 Western Illinois 7 sound familiar... ;)

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 01:00 PM
My opinion? The committee saw things the way I have been preaching since last night. Lafayette has the same record as Richmond and beat them, and Lehigh!

Richmond couldn't get in and leave Lafayette home.

YSU fell victim to that.

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Congrats on a terrific year there Chickenman....

Show some more class.....

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2005, 01:03 PM
My opinion? The committee saw things the way I have been preaching since last night. Lafayette has the same record as Richmond and beat them, and Lehigh!

Richmond couldn't get in and leave Lafayette home.

YSU fell victim to that.

Good points Golgate13....I may not agree.....but its good info to think about...

GSUISBACK
The Patriot is 9-16 in playoffs

ChickenMan
Congrats on a terrific year there Chickenman....

Show some more class.....

just a little reality for all you Patriot League bashers...

PantherMan
November 20th, 2005, 01:07 PM
just a little reality for all you Patriot League bashers...

We're not the only PL bashers. For God's sake, the NCAA committee sent the autobid to the #1 SEED and the co-champ to the #2 seed... :confused: I do not understand how a conference who's AUTOMATIC qualifier is sent to the #1 SEED can receive an At-Large bid?!?!?! :confused: :eek:

LeopardFan04
November 20th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I think it's based on the regionalization...easier trip for Colgate to go to UNH...just a guess though

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 01:11 PM
We're not the only PL bashers. For God's sake, the NCAA committee sent the autobid to the #1 SEED and the co-champ to the #2 seed... :confused: I do not understand how a conference who's AUTOMATIC qualifier is sent to the #1 SEED can receive an At-Large bid?!?!?! :confused: :eek:

Because they don't seed 5-16, that's how. It's all regional issues, money, travel costs, etc...

If Montana was #1, Colgate would still be playing UNH.

If Cal Poly was #2, Lafayette would still be playing App. st.

PantherMan
November 20th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Because they don't seed 5-16, that's how. It's all regional issues, money, travel costs, etc...

If Montana was #1, Colgate would still be playing UNH.

If Cal Poly was #2, Lafayette would still be playing App. st.

I disagree on the fact that they'd still be playing the same schools if those schools were not seeded.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I disagree on the fact that they'd still be playing the same schools if those schools were not seeded.

OK.

But Bylaw 31.1.3 in the NCAA Manual disagrees with you.

All pairings will be made by the Division I-AA football committee. The following principles are applied when pairing teams:
1. The teams awarded the top four seeds are placed in the appropriate positions in the bracket (Nos. 1 and 4 in the upper half, and Nos. 2 and 3 in the lower half), and will be paired with teams that are in closest geographic proximity;
2. The remaining teams will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the four pairings previously placed in the bracket.
3. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games;
4. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket.

Tell me who else should have been sent to UNH or App. St. under these guidelines?

kardplayer
November 20th, 2005, 01:17 PM
The Patriot is 9-16 in playoffs

Did you just make that number up? The Patriot is 7-11. The league didn't start participating until 1997.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Did you just make that number up? The Patriot is 7-11. The league didn't start participating until 1997.

Even better look at since 2001....

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2005, 01:27 PM
The Patriot league has had a respectable performance in the playoffs but Youngstown State appears to have had a better overall performance than Lafayette this season. I know some of you don't give power ratings as much credence as I do but they do consider schedule strength. The first one I've seen out after this weekends games (Sagarin) has Youngstown State rated 11th in I-AA and Lafayette rated 50th.

There may be some error in power ratings but with that kind of difference I don't think it's likely at all that Lafayette had a more impressive season than YSU did.

This is an odd one. Only thing I can see is that Lafayette did beat Richmond.

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 01:28 PM
I didn't realize that San Marcos was in close proximity to Georgia Southern. :rolleyes:

Montana v. Cal-Poly is close proximity. :nod:

Furman receiving a home game over Georgia Southern doesn't make sense either.

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Bush League.

And how is moving to I-A going to help?

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2005, 01:41 PM
You miss the point. I-A is better attendance, better opponents , more recognition, league & bowl possibilities and your RECORD GETS YOU THERE. You have better control over your post-season.

I-AA ?? Frankly, its time to leave. This is Bush League. Enjoy !! :p

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 20th, 2005, 02:19 PM
You miss the point. I-A is better attendance, better opponents , more recognition, league & bowl possibilities and your RECORD GETS YOU THERE. You have better control over your post-season.

Maybe you should talk to the folks at Auburn! And the year before, didn't LSU (or somebody else) have a little to complain about? Yeah, you really have control over your destiny in I-A. :rolleyes:

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Nothing to argue about here for me. I-AA is great for you (And the BS NCAA committee).

We need to move on. There is nothing here for us any more. Its as simple as that. Enjoy.

texcap
November 20th, 2005, 02:35 PM

It appears that your record got you where you are today. Why would it be different in IA?

ThreadStopper
November 20th, 2005, 04:14 PM
I didn't realize that San Marcos was in close proximity to Georgia Southern. :rolleyes:

Montana v. Cal-Poly is close proximity. :nod:

Furman receiving a home game over Georgia Southern doesn't make sense either.

San Luis Obispo to Missoula is 1,367 miles!

November 20th, 2005, 04:17 PM
Bush League.
Time to move on to I-A. :mad:You know better than that. If YSU moves to I-A... have fun and goodbye.

November 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Youngstown St. I can't believe YSU got left out and Lafayette gets in.We'll see who the WOOFED award goes to when Coulson's article comes out.

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 04:18 PM
We get
1. 2 Major Arch Rivals in Akron and Kent

2. We get the great local talent going to these two schools.

3. We get some good press for the reviviing Downtown area.

4. We can make the postseason at 8-3!

November 20th, 2005, 04:19 PM
We get
4. We can make the postseason at 8-3! :rolleyes: Goodbye.

GASIUalum
November 20th, 2005, 04:31 PM
bwhahahaha, true colors are shining through.
this is a pathetic display by YSU fans.

Maverick
November 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Solid basis for spending all of that money to get into the I-A ranks. We can't even make the I-AA playoffs so we should jump to I-A. Yes if you had an 8-3 record in I-A you would be bowl eligible. But, remember a team with an 8-3 record in I-AA may have only a 4-7 record (or worse) in I-A. However if you are so angry that you have become a complete idiot, I can see how that might seem to be a wonderful idea. The meeting of those who agree with you on this probably could be held in a phone booth though.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2005, 05:04 PM

And we all know how you do LOVE Mr Bush... :D

walliver
November 20th, 2005, 05:05 PM
We get

Do Akron and Kent have "great talent"?

I still think the NCAA should open up the selection process and openly explain why teams were selected or rejected.

TopsInDaVille
November 20th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't rip any fan of a I-AA team who wanted to make the jump. (Although YSU fans wanting to do so today is a little stupid.)

Let's face it people. Any sport in which you LOSE MONEY by winning the national championship may not have all its priorities in place (see Western Kentucky in 2002). Don't get me wrong. I love I-AA football, especially the playoff system. But if you have the facilities, support, etc., to make the jump, you make the jump!

bcrawf
November 20th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Geographic Proximity My a$$:

EWU to UNI- 2300 Miles
Cal Poly to Montana 1300+ Miles
GSU to TSU- 1000+ Miles

Its another NCAA ploy to extend their corruption. Just like how they run the mens basketball tourney- UNI vs. Wisconsin in the EAST Regional in OKLAHOMA CITY?????

If Geography was what matters it would look like this-
Cal Poly @ EWU
Montana @ Texas State
Nicholls State @ UNI
GSU @ Hampton
Richmond @ APP St
Lafayette @ Furman

But, I forgot, Montana doesn't have to play on the road and we love to screw UNI Who has been to 13 Playoffs in 20 years. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

skinny_uncle
November 20th, 2005, 05:23 PM

EWU to UNI- 2300 Miles
GSU to TSU- 1000+ Miles

Its another NCAA ploy to extend their corruption. Just like how they run the mens basketball tourney- UNI vs. Wisconsin in the EAST Regional in OKLAHOMA CITY?????

Cal Poly @ EWU
Montana @ Texas State
Nicholls State @ UNI
GSU @ Hampton
Richmond @ APP St
Lafayette @ Furman

But, I forgot, Montana doesn't have to play on the road and we love to screw UNI Who has been to 13 Playoffs in 20 years. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

You got a home game.
Kwichurbelyakin!
:D

igo4uni
November 20th, 2005, 05:25 PM
We get

Thanks for sharing. Since I-AA is subpar, you won't lower yourself by posting here anymore. Take it to the MAC board. :rolleyes:

peace

igo4uni

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 05:32 PM
I have my hate toward the MAC but this will be in my heart for 365 days when we MAKE The playoffs in 2006 and get some respect.

D1B
November 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I have my hate toward the MAC but this will be in my heart for 365 days when we MAKE The playoffs in 2006 and get some respect.

You may want to consider getting another hobby. Life goes on.

Take all that negative energy and root for the Panthers! You'll feel better.

Tod
November 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Do Akron and Kent have "great talent"?

I still think the NCAA should open up the selection process and openly explain why teams were selected or rejected.

Another question, how does YSU "get" that talent? Maybe a bit of it, but hardly a reason to suspect great things in I-A. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Again look at the talent going to the MAC from our area; we already get tons of Florida Athletes and if we can get our own in the Mahoning Valley; we'd have something special

BTW: OUR PETITION!
http://gopetition.com/online/7558.html

and D1B; I can't root for the Panthers after getting pounded by Cap'nCat and other UNI Fans for not making the playoffs.
Rude on their part and I wish luck to their opponents.

I-AA Fan
November 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I sort of take offense to the name of the award, after all, many teams were snubbed long before Wofford was around, and this is not the first for YSU. What YSU fans want to know is why they cannot get in with an 8-3 record, and most anyone else can. It happened in 1996, 2001, and now 2005. In 1996, it was 3 DII games, and people understood. In 2001, it was 2 DII games and losing 2 conference games, despite taking a top-20 IA club down to the last seconds. Then they open up the selection show with an apology to the fans of YSU that was more embarasing than anything else ... the opening words. This is why I think money games should be outlawed. This year YSU fans have to guess again, as they lost a IA game, and to the GFC clubs two teams they tied with. SO they lost to 2 of the top teams in the country ... GSU lost to Wofford and McNeese, and barely beat Northeastern. Lafayette barely beat a winless Columbia and a 1-10 Bucknell.

If YSU would have hammered Maine (and yes it would have happened), as they were originally scheduled, they would be 9-2 right now and the thread would probably not be happening ... they would be hosting. Instead, they have "keep up with the Jone's" & their payola, by scheduling a game they never had a chance to be in. YSU's attendance is outstanding, the facilities are second to none, they bid very high, and the tradition is second-to-none in modern football. This is a banner year for the program, with their first conference crown since 1986, and only their second conference title since they moved from DII to I-AA. Top-to-bttom, the GFC is a far better conference than the SoCon ... but they have their usual compliment of 3. But everyone has known about that for years & just let's it go. You know, if this was for a team like SC State, possibly even a sympathetic vote for UMass or Coastal, it would be more understandable than Lafayette.

KJ Eagle
November 20th, 2005, 07:04 PM

Yeah, but in your scenario, the "postseason" that you're talking about equals one game at the Mayberry City Bake Sale Bowl.

Sorry, I'll take a 16 team playoff any day!

SoCon48
November 20th, 2005, 08:39 PM

EWU to UNI- 2300 Miles
GSU to TSU- 1000+ Miles

Cal Poly @ EWU
Montana @ Texas State
Nicholls State @ UNI
GSU @ Hampton
Richmond @ APP St
Lafayette @ Furman

App State is much closer for Lafayette than Furmie.

SoCon48
November 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Bush League.

First he got the blame for high gas prices. Then the freakin' hurricane. Now the I-AA play-off selection.

henfan
November 20th, 2005, 08:50 PM
The only thing I can think is that Lafayette's 8 D-I wins were valued more highly than YSU's 7. That's odd considering YSU's superior SOS. The PSC is also instructed to give more consideration to teams that play full D-I schedules (YSU did not.)

Even SCSU had an incredibly similar SOS to LC, a higher power rating and 8 D-I wins. I would have thought they would have gotten the nod over Lafayette.

Not a mammoth screw up but a screw up nevertheless. It's highly unlikely any of the teams mentioned would have competed for the title.

siugrad99
November 20th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Funny, 1AA runs his mouth on SIU's fan site before the game with SIU about how they will beat us and such, now he makes excuses for a team that even his fellow YSU fans said were a year away. It is a shame that YSU didn't get it, but it wasn't as if they were the only quality team fighting for that last at large bid.

eaglesrthe1
November 21st, 2005, 01:52 AM
Nothing to argue about here for me. I-AA is great for you (And the BS NCAA committee).

We need to move on. There is nothing here for us any more. Its as simple as that. Enjoy.

Well I guess that's it then. YSU is moving on to I-A. Because Paladin says it's time.

It's as simple as that. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I guess there is nothing left, but to enjoy. :D

Buh bye now.

eaglesrthe1
November 21st, 2005, 01:59 AM
Seems pretty much a consensus. YSU gets the Woofed award, courtesy of Lafayette.

eagleskins
November 21st, 2005, 02:04 AM
I sort of take offense to the name of the award, after all, many teams were snubbed long before Wofford was around, and this is not the first for YSU. What YSU fans want to know is why they cannot get in with an 8-3 record, and most anyone else can. It happened in 1996, 2001, and now 2005. In 1996, it was 3 DII games, and people understood. In 2001, it was 2 DII games and losing 2 conference games, despite taking a top-20 IA club down to the last seconds. Then they open up the selection show with an apology to the fans of YSU that was more embarasing than anything else ... the opening words. This is why I think money games should be outlawed. This year YSU fans have to guess again, as they lost a IA game, and to the GFC clubs two teams they tied with. SO they lost to 2 of the top teams in the country ... GSU lost to Wofford and McNeese, and barely beat Northeastern. Lafayette barely beat a winless Columbia and a 1-10 Bucknell.

If YSU would have hammered Maine (and yes it would have happened), as they were originally scheduled, they would be 9-2 right now and the thread would probably not be happening ... they would be hosting. Instead, they have "keep up with the Jone's" & their payola, by scheduling a game they never had a chance to be in. YSU's attendance is outstanding, the facilities are second to none, they bid very high, and the tradition is second-to-none in modern football. This is a banner year for the program, with their first conference crown since 1986, and only their second conference title since they moved from DII to I-AA. Top-to-bttom, the GFC is a far better conference than the SoCon ... but they have their usual compliment of 3. But everyone has known about that for years & just let's it go. You know, if this was for a team like SC State, possibly even a sympathetic vote for UMass or Coastal, it would be more understandable than Lafayette.

Keep hitting that yayo. The Socon is head and shoulders above the GFC>

PantherMan
November 21st, 2005, 02:06 AM
Keep hitting that yayo. The Socon is head and shoulders above the GFC>

Not according to recent seasons and the GPI...

eaglesrthe1
November 21st, 2005, 02:26 AM
Not according to recent seasons and the GPI...

But according to that same GPI: ASU=3 GSU=6 FU=9...YSU=13

So sorry.

bandl
November 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM

Continental Tire Bowl! Woohoo! Sounds like something I'd be proud of!

The bowl system of I-A is a joke. Win a few more games against quality teams.

GoGuins
November 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM
YSU only had 2 quality wins (ISU & WKU) and WKU completely tanked at the end of the year. YSU also got blownout by a subpar Pitt team. I said all along YSU needed to be 9-2 to get in. They needed to win 2 out of 3 to end the season and they didn't get it done. Plain and simple. I don't know why so many YSU fans are in shock, they should have seen this coming.

Tubby Raymond
November 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 08:32 AM
I really don't understand why so many posters think that YSU was a slam dunk pick over Lafayette. LC had two wins over ranked teams (Lehigh & Richmond), while YSU had none. LC also had a win over a playoff team (Richmond) again YSU didn't.

There also seems to be an assumption that the best of the Patriot League is not on par with the best of the Gateway or other top 1AA conferences. However recent playoff history indicates otherwise... since '00 the Patriot League is 6-6 in the playoffs... while the Gateway is 10-12.

I'm not saying that YSU didn't deserve strong consideration for the playoffs... but it certainly seems to me the Lafayette was a strong contender as well.

JaxSinfonian
November 21st, 2005, 09:14 AM
You have better control over your post-season.

Now THIS is amusing.

You have absolutley no control over the post season in I-A. Can we even call it a postseason, when for all but two teams it's just one meaningless game?

The TV networks and corporate sponsors decide your so-called postseason in I-A. I'm sure my friends down in Troy, Alabama, will tell you all about how wonderful their bowl experience was last year, with no one in the stands and no one awake back east for the midnight broadcast. They really will tell you how wonderful it is, but that's because they're still deluding themselves that their move up was the right thing to do.

In I-AA, the post-season is simple. Win, and satisfy the committee, and you're in. They can only take 16, so you'd better have a damn good case. I don't envy committee members the task of setting the field. Someone with a fairly decent case will alwys get left out. Once you're in, keep winning, and you're in control all the way to the championship game. That's as opposed to I-A, where if YSU was lucky enough to finish with 6 wins in the "mighty" MAC, they might get a chance to play for 53rd place in the We Can't Name It Until We Get a Sponsor Bowl.

But hey, you're right. Bush league. Go for the big time. Akron. Kent State. Your team could be just like them. Go for it.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM
But hey, you're right. Bush league. Go for the big time. Akron. Kent State. Your team could be just like them. Go for it.

and don't forget those other MAC 'biggies'... Temple (0-11) and Buffalo (1-10)... :p

ysubigred
November 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
YSU only had 2 quality wins (ISU & WKU) and WKU completely tanked at the end of the year. YSU also got blownout by a subpar Pitt team. I said all along YSU needed to be 9-2 to get in. They needed to win 2 out of 3 to end the season and they didn't get it done. Plain and simple. I don't know why so many YSU fans are in shock, they should have seen this coming.

I agree Go!! When YSU blew that game against SIU I told everybody in the stands YSU is out. All I got was dirty looks :eek: WKU tanking at the end really hurt any chances of getting some merrit for their win.

Although 1AA playoff's are not perfect it beat's the hell out of just ending the season in a meaningless bowl game. In the perfect world; Instead of YSU joining the MAC the NCAA should put thoes **** heads (Akron, Kent, etc.)back into 1AA where they belong and we could have a Gateway East and West conference. :dizzy:

LacesOut
November 21st, 2005, 11:33 AM
Now THIS is amusing.

You have absolutley no control over the post season in I-A. Can we even call it a postseason, when for all but two teams it's just one meaningless game?

The TV networks and corporate sponsors decide your so-called postseason in I-A. I'm sure my friends down in Troy, Alabama, will tell you all about how wonderful their bowl experience was last year, with no one in the stands and no one awake back east for the midnight broadcast. They really will tell you how wonderful it is, but that's because they're still deluding themselves that their move up was the right thing to do.

In I-AA, the post-season is simple. Win, and satisfy the committee, and you're in. They can only take 16, so you'd better have a damn good case. I don't envy committee members the task of setting the field. Someone with a fairly decent case will alwys get left out. Once you're in, keep winning, and you're in control all the way to the championship game. That's as opposed to I-A, where if YSU was lucky enough to finish with 6 wins in the "mighty" MAC, they might get a chance to play for 53rd place in the We Can't Name It Until We Get a Sponsor Bowl.

A most excellent post.

HensRock
November 21st, 2005, 12:35 PM
I don't think any team was Wofforded this year - at least not in the same sense that Wofford was in 2002 or Cal Poly in 2003. Those were team that had a real argument for being included according to the guidelines the selection committee was supposed to be following. This year, I think it was real close betwee YSU and LC and the committee picked the one I would not have. But I cannot really fault them for it.

It still comes down to the age-old advice: Win your conference, or put your fate in the hands of the committee