PDA

View Full Version : Cam Sexton

PhoenixPhan06
January 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Any ideas on what former North Carolina QB Cam Sexton will do next season or where he might transfer?

LehighFan11
January 14th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Since when is he the "former" UNC QB?

elon77
January 15th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Since when is he the "former" UNC QB?

I believe it was anounced yesterday that he will be going somewhere else to complete his football eligibility, so I guess that would mean 1AA or DII. I went to school and knew his dad at Elon, but it seems to me that Elon is pretty set at QB and even though he has ties with the school I can't imagine he would end up there. Who else below the Mason Dixion line needs a QB right away?xconfusedx

elon77
January 15th, 2009, 08:42 AM
UNC's website states he will graduate in May and will only be able to play for a DII program. Very interesting!

PhoenixPhan06
January 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I believe it was anounced yesterday that he will be going somewhere else to complete his football eligibility, so I guess that would mean 1AA or DII. I went to school and knew his dad at Elon, but it seems to me that Elon is pretty set at QB and even though he has ties with the school I can't imagine he would end up there. Who else below the Mason Dixion line needs a QB right away?xconfusedx

Per NCAA transfer rules, a player with one year of eligibility remaining (Sexton) cannot transfer to any FBS or FCS school and play immediately. The only way Sexton can play in '09 is if he were to transfer to a D-II school or lower.

I thought about him going to Elon too at first then realized he likely would not go there to sit another year only to possibly backup Riddle in '10.

Best of luck to you Cam where ever you end up!

appfan2008
January 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
interesting decision... will be curious as to where he ends up

gophoenix
January 15th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Unless he goes to graduate school, right?

ericsaid
January 15th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Lenoir-Rhyne!! Or Catawba because they have a decent D-II squad.

Ronbo
January 15th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Will someone please check the exception to the transfer rule. I understood that if a player graduates before his senior eligibility year he can transfer to another DI school, take graduate courses and play their senior season.

clenz
January 15th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Per NCAA transfer rules, a player with one year of eligibility remaining (Sexton) cannot transfer to any FBS or FCS school and play immediately. The only way Sexton can play in '09 is if he were to transfer to a D-II school or lower.

I thought about him going to Elon too at first then realized he likely would not go there to sit another year only to possibly backup Riddle in '10.

Can you link me to this rule. I tried to tell someone else this rule, but didn't have the rule link.

PhoenixPhan06
January 15th, 2009, 03:05 PM
http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/830156.html

OLDLCOACH111
January 16th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Unless they changed the rule for this year, from what I understand, as long as he graduate from his current school, and is seeking a graduate degree at another school, she should be able to transfer down without sitting out a year.

SoccerSmells
January 16th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Unless they changed the rule for this year, from what I understand, as long as he graduate from his current school, and is seeking a graduate degree at another school, she should be able to transfer down without sitting out a year.

...only if his current school doesn't offer that particular graduate degree, or he doesn't get accepted to his current school's program for some reason.

For what it's worth, I heard he's headed to Catawba as well.

WileECoyote06
January 17th, 2009, 01:02 PM

...only if his current school doesn't offer that particular graduate degree, or he doesn't get accepted to his current school's program for some reason.

For what it's worth, I heard he's headed to Catawba as well.

Catawba only has one graduate program (elementary education); why would he not wish to continue with 'communications' or 'public relations' in some capacity?

Lehigh Football Nation
January 22nd, 2009, 09:10 AM
Cam Sexton is limited to playing D-II - however, Mike Paulus isn't, and he's considering a change too:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2009/01/paulus_a_tar_heel_for_now.html

Syracuse, NY -- Former Christian Brothers Academy quarterback Mike Paulus finds himself settling into an uncomfortable spot on the depth chart for the University of North Carolina football team. And that opens up the door of speculation that Paulus could be exploring looking around at other schools to play. And one of those places might be Syracuse, since the previous staff recruited Paulus hard and three of his CBA teammates - all wide receivers - were on last season's Orange roster.

This could get interesting - might a (local) school like Colgate get in the mix somehow, or possibly Albany or Cornell? He's an out-of-stater getting into NC, so I'm assuming grades aren't a problem here.

CSUBUCDAD
January 22nd, 2009, 10:29 AM

Then how did Tribble Reese(with one year of eligibility left) transfer to Chuck South and play immediately?

PhoenixPhan06
January 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Then how did Tribble Reese(with one year of eligibility left) transfer to Chuck South and play immediately?

I don't know the particulars, I'm just going by this article.

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/830156.html

Purple Pride
January 26th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Maybe he'll go to UNA and play for Coach Bowden.xwhistlex

Purple Pride
February 9th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Florida State’s Bobby Bowden and his son Tommy (Clemson) both recruited Cameron Sexton to play quarterback for them out of high school.

Now, Bobby’s son and Tommy’s older brother, Terry Bowden, is pursuing the former Scotland High School star.

Terry Bowden is the new head coach at NCAA Division II North Alabama, and he was one of the first of about 20 coaches to call in mid-January after Sexton announced he wouldn’t return to North Carolina for a fifth season. Sexton, who led the Tar Heels to a 4-2 record while starter T.J. Yates was sidelined with an injury last season, decided to transfer to a school where he would have a chance to be the full-time starter in 2009.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=318035

kperk014
February 16th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Florida State’s Bobby Bowden and his son Tommy (Clemson) both recruited Cameron Sexton to play quarterback for them out of high school.

Now, Bobby’s son and Tommy’s older brother, Terry Bowden, is pursuing the former Scotland High School star.

Terry Bowden is the new head coach at NCAA Division II North Alabama, and he was one of the first of about 20 coaches to call in mid-January after Sexton announced he wouldn’t return to North Carolina for a fifth season. Sexton, who led the Tar Heels to a 4-2 record while starter T.J. Yates was sidelined with an injury last season, decided to transfer to a school where he would have a chance to be the full-time starter in 2009.

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=318035

Sexton will be in town this weekend. He'll probably attend the North Alabama-Alabama Huntsville basketball game. It should be an exciting weekend for his visit.

Purple Pride
February 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
UNA fans report the visit went good.

He brought a receiver and defensive back with him.

The DB committed this weekend. Other two said to be 99% sure.

They also picked up a DB from West Virginia and a FB from Illinois.

SoCon48
February 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Catawba only has one graduate program (elementary education); why would he not wish to continue with 'communications' or 'public relations' in some capacity?

Maybe he actually wants to find a job when he's finished.xlolx

Purple Pride
February 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
UNA fans report the visit went good.

He brought a receiver and defensive back with him.

The DB committed this weekend. Other two said to be 99% sure.

They also picked up a DB from West Virginia and a FB from Illinois.

Both Richie Rich (DB) and Kenton Thornton (WR) are going to UNA. They graduated from UNC with Sexton in May.

Hoyadestroya85
February 25th, 2009, 11:46 AM
this is something that bothers me.. every time a Quarterback asks for a release there is always speculation as to where they're gonna go, when the truth is they could go to an FBS school. We should wait until the process works itself out

apaladin
February 25th, 2009, 04:27 PM
UNC's website states he will graduate in May and will only be able to play for a DII program. Very interesting!

And 90 percent of the people think he could go to Elon, ASU etc

PhoenixMan
February 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I doubt seriously if he would go to Elon or anywhere that he may have to sit behind the current QB. Why not go somewhere, even D2 where he can play right away

apaladin
February 25th, 2009, 09:06 PM
I doubt seriously if he would go to Elon or anywhere that he may have to sit behind the current QB. Why not go somewhere, even D2 where he can play right away

You missed my point. I was saying most of the general public call the SoCon and othe FBS teams as D-II.

PhoenixMan
February 25th, 2009, 09:29 PM
You missed my point. I was saying most of the general public call the SoCon and othe FBS teams as D-II.

Sorry, I did miss that.......didn't think anyone was THAT uninformedxeyebrowx

HoyaMetanoia
February 27th, 2009, 01:36 PM
This could get interesting - might a (local) school like Colgate get in the mix somehow, or possibly Albany or Cornell? He's an out-of-stater getting into NC, so I'm assuming grades aren't a problem here.

I'm sorry, but that's some pretty misguided logic. From my experience, Stanford is pretty much the only school with standards high enough (and their football player standards still are not that high) to be considered a hindrance for potential recruits.

Marvin Austin was an out of stater who got into UNC, and trust me, he's not a rocket scientist. The admission of football players into BCS schools is, 99% of the time, no reflection on their academic prowess.

nms1987
February 27th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, Carolina fans like to act like their players are scholar-athletes but according to the N&O the academic requirements for Carolina football and basketball players are the same as the ACC and NCAA minimums.

Just look at Carolina sneaking Dwight Jones into school

Purple Pride
March 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
UNA fans still think he's coming.

Quinton Andrews has also transferred to UNA from West Virginia

Purple Pride
March 11th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Cam Sexton is expected to announce Thursday he's transferring to Catawba.

http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/031009-sexton

appmaj
March 11th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Cam Sexton is expected to announce Thursday he's transferring to Catawba.

http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/031009-sexton

That might be the only time the hometown newspaper makes it on AGS. xthumbsupx

PhoenixMan
March 18th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Sexton has officially transferred and will play at Catawba next season

PhoenixPhan06
March 19th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Sexton has officially transferred and will play at Catawba next season

I wish him nothing but the best

ericsaid
March 19th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Lenoir-Rhyne!! Or Catawba because they have a decent D-II squad.

I called it. Nearly two months ago.xthumbsupxxeekx