PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Northeast Conference 2008 Review

CSN-info
January 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/skins/andreas_01/img/CSNWay.JPGBy Chuck Burton, The CSN Way Columnist

For the second straight year, it was the Great Danes of Albany who would bowl over the rest of their opposition in the NEC to play in their second straight “Gridiron Classic” - the postseason bowl game between the Pioneer Football Conference champion and the NEC champion. Unlike the disappointing season-ending defeat to Dayton in 2007, however, the Great Danes left no doubt as to which conference reigns supreme.

Their dominating 28-0 victory over the Jacksonville Dolphins was a fitting end to a challenging 8-3 season - and has Albany looking forward to 2009 for even bigger fish to catch.

Read more ... http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=the-csn-way-northeast-conference-2008-re&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

Model Citizen
January 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I didn't realize there was any doubt about 2007. Dayton won pretty convincingly.

2009 should be interesting.

Syntax Error
January 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I didn't realize there was any doubt about 2007.You obviously were not reading AGS then. xnodx

Model Citizen
January 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Your AGS pals obviously weren't watching the game.

danefan
January 14th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't realize there was any doubt about 2007. Dayton won pretty convincingly.

2009 should be interesting.

2009 will be interesting with the NEC's 2nd place team taking on the PFL champ. Dayton should give Monmouth a decent game.
xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Seriously though, I do believe the PFL's two victories in the GIC were due mostly in part to two players - Josh Johnson and Kevin Hyong. Will another player step up in the PFL and make their team competitive nationally?

The NEC will be pretty solid next year. Albany will need to replace some key offensive lineman in order to repeat the last two year's successes. With McCarty and Esposito back as seniors, they'll have the leadership on offense. its just a question of whether there is the talent up front.

DetroitFlyer
January 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM
2009 will be interesting with the NEC's 2nd place team taking on the PFL champ. Dayton should give Monmouth a decent game.
xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Seriously though, I do believe the PFL's two victories in the GIC were due mostly in part to two players - Josh Johnson and Kevin Hyong. Will another player step up in the PFL and make their team competitive nationally?

The NEC will be pretty solid next year. Albany will need to replace some key offensive lineman in order to repeat the last two year's successes. With McCarty and Esposito back as seniors, they'll have the leadership on offense. its just a question of whether there is the talent up front.

No doubt two of the best to ever play in the PFL. Hoyng was a huge part of the Dayton victory, but the defense also played a very solid game. McCarty got his yards, but he did not have a huge career day against the Flyers. The sad thing is in 2008, the Flyers defense was even better. If we would have had any consistent play at QB at all, we would have gone undefeated. All three losses were directly related to subpar QB play.... 2009 will indeed be interesting. Trust me, the NEC and PFL champions will be playing in the GIC. The NEC will not taste the playoffs until 2010 when the NCAA no longer has a choice.

I certainly expect the PFL and NEC to be very competitive again next year. I like Bob Ford, so I think Albany still has to be the favorite. As for the PFL, I think it is wide open. JU will be tough again, USD and Dayton will be there.... MSU, Drake and Davidson could also contend. Marist will be a good fit, and they just might suprise some PFL teams. Valpo and Campbell still have work to do.... Heck, Sagarin actually rated the PFL over the SWAC at the end of 2008. The league is getting better. Adding Marist will help. If we can just get Valpo on track and Campbell to quickly improve, we just might catch the NEC again. I also expect the fourth and maybe final GIC to be one of the most competitive yet.

Syntax Error
January 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Your AGS pals obviously weren't watching the game.My pals at AGS? Who at AGS do you not consider pals of yours? xeyebrowx

There was doubt BEFORE the game. The entire UA fanbase did not roll over on a sword before the game. Look it up. xnodx

Syntax Error
January 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM
... Sagarin actually rated the PFL over the SWAC at the end of 2008...Sags does not count non-D-I games.