PDA

View Full Version : MSU = needs to schedule a weak OOC like everyone else

catbob
November 20th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Look at YSU. 2 DII games.

If the Bobcats play those instead of Cal Poly, SFA, or NDSU, we are 8-3 and probably heading to the playoffs.

It's a shame that a team that beats 3 ranked teams during the year, beats a team that would be ranked later, and only loses to ranked teams will NOT be in the playoffs with 7 DI victories.

OL FU
November 20th, 2005, 11:50 AM

If the Bobcats play those instead of Cal Poly, SFA, or NDSU, we are 8-3 and probably heading to the playoffs.

It's a shame that a team that beats 3 ranked teams during the year, beats a team that would be ranked later, and only loses to ranked teams will NOT be in the playoffs with 7 DI victories.

MSU is definitely deserving. and yes you should change your schedule.

griz37
November 20th, 2005, 11:56 AM
If you scheduled a DII instead of NDSU or SFA you would have 1 less DI win. So how would that help you?

I-AA Fan
November 20th, 2005, 12:01 PM
I was not aware that YSU scheduled 2 DII games. If they did ... they didn't make the play-off.

txstatebobcat
November 20th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Scheduling is a big part of football. Look at App St. replace those two I-As with a D-II and a weak I-AA and they would be #1 seed right now.

Look at TxSt. If we had replaced one of the D-IIs that we played with a I-AA we would be looking as a solid #3 or #4 seed.

Its all part of the game, and something that ADs around the country have to struggle every year.

Coastal89
November 20th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I was not aware that YSU scheduled 2 DII games. If they did ... they didn't make the play-off.
They didn't but Texas St did, along with 2 transitional D-IAAs.

catbob
November 20th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Oops I forgot Liberty was IAA. I think so did IAA.

Either way, replace Cal Poly with DII whoever and we are probably going to the playoffs.

JALMOND
November 20th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Catbob, the reason the Cats did not get in was due to your 1-4 record on the road, hardly glamourous by any stretch of the imagination. Scheduling DII's would not have improved your road record. All you needed was a win at Cheney and you're in and EWU is not.

catbob
November 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't have made the playoffs with our schedule - if we were a NC calibre team, or even a top ten team, we'd be in the playoffs with our schedule.

The worst loss was PSU. If we don't turn the ball over, we were driving down to kick the game winner. We beat PSU, we are in as well. Hell, we get the autobid if we had beaten PSU. :(

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I only see one D-II (Slippery Rock) on Youngstown State's schedule. They also scheduled Pittsburgh. And, though Northeastern turned out to have a down year, that's scheduling a solid I-AA program. I agree with you to this extent:

The committee should not be as focused on "no more than 3 losses as it is." If 7-4 or even 6-5 represents a more impressive performance than 8-3 does because of schedule difficulty, the 7-4 or 6-5 team should be selected.

And whether the opponents are I-A, I-AA, or D-II should not in itself matter at all. Each opponent should be taken on its own merit. There are D-II teams that are better than some I-A and I-AA teams.

JALMOND
November 20th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I'm not saying we shouldn't have made the playoffs with our schedule - if we were a NC calibre team, or even a top ten team, we'd be in the playoffs with our schedule.

The worst loss was PSU. If we don't turn the ball over, we were driving down to kick the game winner. We beat PSU, we are in as well. Hell, we get the autobid if we had beaten PSU. :(

You came up one road victory short. A win at Cheney, Portland or even SLO and you're in. You played a good schedule. Everyone in the Big Sky played a tough schedule this year (all 8 played at least one DI, 6 played BCS teams). Replacing one of those road games with a DII and you'd have played seven home games this year (I doubt you would travel to a DII) and only four road games. That doesn't look too great either.

Bronco
November 20th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Need to improve the stadium.

Looking outside during the game I saw thousands of folks tailgating that could have been paying customers.

On the radio this am they said the NCAA doesn't make money unless the Griz are in the playoffs.

Get some Sprint turf and fill in the end zone.

And maybe improve the scoreboard. It looks like a high school game when it says visitors.

Hansel
November 20th, 2005, 01:50 PM
They didn't but Texas St did, along with 2 transitional D-IAAs.
Southern Utah is not a transitional, they have been IAA since 93.

putter
November 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
How about this,,,just win!! The Griz had 1 cupcake. You had OSU, we had Oregon. You lost to Cal Poly, we beat them, we both lost to EWU you lost to PSU and we beat them.. The last few years the Cats were 1 maybe 2 wins away from the playoffs and its not the schedule that is hurting you it's not winning that is hurting you. l

JALMOND
November 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
How about this,,,just win!! The Griz had 1 cupcake. You had OSU, we had Oregon. You lost to Cal Poly, we beat them, we both lost to EWU you lost to PSU and we beat them.. The last few years the Cats were 1 maybe 2 wins away from the playoffs and its not the schedule that is hurting you it's not winning that is hurting you. l

I think that is the point, just win. The fact, tho, is that the Griz played Poly at home, the Cats in SLO. The Griz played EWU at home, the Cats in Cheney. The Griz played Portland at home, the Cats in Portland. The Griz conference road (@ISU, @Sac St, @NAU and @MSU) is not as strong as the Cats (@Weber, @EWU and @PSU) even with the Griz having one more road game. Still, we're both right, I say the Cats fell one road victory short of making the playoffs, you say just win.

VictorG
November 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM

But didn't you beat SFA and NDSU? You're confusing me!

catbob
November 20th, 2005, 03:56 PM
But didn't you beat SFA and NDSU? You're confusing me!

I was just saying schedule a DII instead a strong IAA opponent, such as SFA and NDSU.

I'm simply pointing out that the Cats have as many DI wins as some of the teams in playoffs.

I agree though, if we were a top 10 team, we wouldv'e won our games regardless.

kalm
November 20th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Or schedule non-scholarship 1-AA schools. Aren't they pretty much the same as D-II except it's one more D-I win. That's what all the east coast schools do right? :D