PDA

View Full Version : Charleston Southern 2009 Football Schedule - Kicks Off at National Champion Florida

BJuice
January 10th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Bucs Open Against The Gators (http://www.charleston.net/news/2009/jan/10/bucs_open_against_gators67998/)

CSU has stepped up their scheduling efforts in recent years. Money is clearly one reason but Mills says another is to increase the visibility of his growing program to prospects. Recruiting has certainly benefitted from the exposure.

"The prospects we are recruiting are certainly hearing about the people we are playing in the next few years," said Mills. "We played Hawaii in 2007, we played Miami last year. We go back to Hawaii in 2011 and we'll also play another FBS team in 2011. Many young players dream of playing for the very best programs. When that dream comes up short, they dream of playing against the very best. Our players will have that opportunity. From a University standpoint, this gives us a front porch to the entire country and allows us to showcase CSU as an institution of higher learning that integrates faith into everything that we do here."

Playing big money games will allow CSU to pursue the major building project on campus — a new football and track locker room facility that will include coach's offices and meeting rooms. "Our goal is to have that building operational by the spring of 2011 and we're on our way to meeting that objective," said Mills.

CSU SCHEDULE

Sept. 5 at Florida

Sept. 12 at Wofford

Sept.19 Mars Hill

Sept.26 at North Greenville

Oct. 3 Savannah State

Oct.17 at Gardner-Webb

Oct.24 Liberty

Oct.31 at VMI

Nov. 7 at Presbyterian

Nov. 14 Stony Brook

Nov. 21 Coastal Carolina

The hard work of head coach Jay Mills and his staff are clearly paying off as the Charleston Southern football program is making huge strides. I liked our coaching staff from last year. I think they did an outstanding job. I am glad they are all back and I hope they are together for several years.

This is a great opportunity and challenge for our student athletes. It is also a great opportunity to showcase our school. We recruit Florida hard as do many schools and we have seen success from our Florida recruits. I know our many student athletes from Florida will enjoy this opportunity.

It's not just about collecting a check and being happy to be there though. I know coach Mills and his staff will prepare our team and they will be ready to compete. It is about competing and getting better. It is also about placing another building block and stepping stone in the history of our football program. We will be better because of this opportunity.

Go Charleston Southern!!! Go Buccaneers!!!

mainejeff
January 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
One word........UGLY.

But congrats on the BIG payday!

Seawolf97
January 10th, 2009, 05:12 PM
BCS National Champion and 2 D-2 s ? Really a strange balance .

TexasTerror
January 10th, 2009, 10:34 PM
All FCS programs (that are counters) have FBS money games. My question is if North Greenville is also a money game...?

crusader11
January 10th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Have fun. Hope the number of body bags on the way home are in single digits.

Tealblood
January 11th, 2009, 08:19 AM
All FCS programs (that are counters) have FBS money games. My question is if North Greenville is also a money game...?

old Baptist league friend

nwFL Griz
January 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
With that schedule, you'd likely have to go 9-2 to sniff the playoffs.

eaglesrthe1
January 11th, 2009, 10:01 AM
One word........UGLY.

But congrats on the BIG payday!

How big? I didn't see a $$$ figure.

CSUBUCDAD
January 11th, 2009, 10:19 AM
How big? I didn't see a $$$ figure.

You can count on a payday somewhere in the neighborhood of 400K for the Bucs on that one.

Tealblood
January 11th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I would guess in the $325,000-$375,000 range

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I would guess in the $325,000-$375,000 range

Well, CSU is getting "screwed" if they are only getting that. SHSU got $400,000 for a short bus ride to Austin to play Texas. Other FCS schools are getting at least $400k from top 20 schools in the world of college football.

If this is true, just another reason CSU is just not understanding how Division I football works. Add that to road games to North Greenville. xnonono2x

BJuice
January 11th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I don't think North Greenville is coming off the Charleston Southern football schedule any time soon. As Tealblood mentioned we are both Baptist schools (Southern Baptist to be exact) supported by the South Carolina Baptist Convention.

I have no problem with that. There are other FCS schools that schedule a DIV 2 game every year.

I do think that they should be our only DIV 2 game every year.

TexasTerror
January 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I have no problem with that. There are other FCS schools that schedule a DIV 2 game every year. I do think that they should be our only DIV 2 game every year.

Yet...how many Division I schools not named Texas Southern or Arkansas-Pine Bluff, travel to Division II schools? It's just not "Division I" of a team to do that -- in any sport! xnonono2x

SuperJon
January 12th, 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm surprised CSU didn't get that Wofford game moved to CSU this year since they had to travel to Wofford last year.

Sly Fox
January 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM

xlolx

I think the playoffs were the last thing on the minds of anyone in Chucktown when they put this schedule together.

Congrats on the payday. It didn't take CSU long once they became a counter to start collecting the guarantees.

CSUBUCDAD
January 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I'm surprised CSU didn't get that Wofford game moved to CSU this year since they had to travel to Wofford last year.

Mills tried but Ayers said nope.

Biff
January 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Mills tried but Ayers said nope.

I think this is a size thing. CSU stadium can't handle the Wofford road fans. That is if Wofford would bring the same size crowd that shows up at The Citadel games.

CSUBUCDAD
January 12th, 2009, 01:20 PM
We have a 4 game home and home contract. The game was supposed to be at CSU last year but the hurricane forced us to go to Wofford instead for the game. Mills asked Ayers to just shuffle to remaining games on the contract and Ayers said no. They will come to CSU in 2010 to play.

Biff
January 12th, 2009, 01:25 PM
We have a 4 game home and home contract. The game was supposed to be at CSU last year but the hurricane forced us to go to Wofford instead for the game. Mills asked Ayers to just shuffle to remaining games on the contract and Ayers said no. They will come to CSU in 2010 to play.

Kool. Sounds good. Maybe I can make it to that game. At least give my wife (CSU '02) a chance to see her alma mater play.

Libertine
January 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
So it's a 3-for-1 now?

Woof
January 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM
0-2 to start....Bummer !xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Go...gate
January 12th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Nice stretch game.

Syntax Error
January 12th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Isn't Richmond the National Champion?

KiddBrewer
January 12th, 2009, 09:20 PM
BIGGEST UPSET OF ALL TIME!

CSUBUCDAD
January 13th, 2009, 07:00 AM
So it's a 3-for-1 now?

Yep

CSUBUCDAD
January 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
0-2 to start....Bummer !xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Lots of folks said we would have beaten the pups last year had we played at CSU. Bucs will be a little stronger this year than last so don't count on it.

whoanellie
January 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM

PLAY-OFFS!!! your talking Play-offs??????!!!!!!
i could not resist.

TexasTerror
January 13th, 2009, 08:24 AM
9-2 for playoffs? That's just 7-2 in Div I games with only marquee wins against Wofford and perhaps-one Big South team, pending how the conference is this year.

I figure they are going to need a 10-1 mark to have a sniff of the playoffs.

CSUBUCDAD
January 13th, 2009, 10:15 AM
9-2 for playoffs? That's just 7-2 in Div I games with only marquee wins against Wofford and perhaps-one Big South team, pending how the conference is this year.

I figure they are going to need a 10-1 mark to have a sniff of the playoffs.

With 2 Div II teams on the schedule you are most likely correct. I sure will be glad when we get rid of all the Div II and below teams for good.

jcmanson
January 13th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It's funny to hear "CSU football and playoffs" all in the same sentence xlolx

SuperJon
January 13th, 2009, 11:09 PM
About as funny as Liberty and playoffs since we've both gotten there the same amount.

jcmanson
January 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM
About as funny as Liberty and playoffs since we've both gotten there the same amount.

Thanks buddy, I didn’t know that. xrolleyesx

TexasTerror
June 4th, 2009, 08:12 AM
FYI for you Chuck Southern fans...

In other news, UH and Charleston Southern, a Football Championship Subdivision (formerly known as Division I-AA) team, have switched what was originally scheduled as a Sept. 17, 2011 date to Sept. 25, 2010. The UH-UNLV game will take the Sept. 17 date in 2011.

http://sports.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090604/SPORTS0201/906040344&template=UHSports/Warriors+will+see+lot+more+of+Rebels

JohnStOnge
June 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
All FCS programs (that are counters) have FBS money games.

Not Montana. At least not in 2009 as far as I can tell. But I guess Montana doesn't have to.

jonmac
June 5th, 2009, 06:44 AM
Isn't Richmond the National Champion?

I was thinking the same thing SE.

elcid83
June 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM
See you October 17th in Boiling Springs.

Go Runnin' Bulldogs!