PDA

View Full Version : Final Playoff Predictions- By:Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

R.A.
November 20th, 2005, 12:20 AM
Extra Point - Final Playoff Predictions
By Matt Dougherty, The Sports Network

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - There were a few close calls, a couple of upsets and some clutch wins from teams battling for their postseason lives. When the dust finally cleared with Cal Poly’s 35-10 victory against Idaho State, the I-AA committee was left with a relatively easy job of selecting this year’s field of 16.

The first change to the brackets came early in the day, in a game I attended in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Lehigh, who began the day with control of the Patriot League automatic bid in its hands, couldn’t close the deal against archrival Lafayette. The Leopards rallied for two fourth-quarter touchdowns to score a 23-19 victory and claim a share of the Patriot League crown.

While the Leopards walked into the postgame press conference with the Patriot League trophy, they didn’t claim the automatic bid. Colgate, a 34-7 winner at Georgetown, earned the Patriot League berth by virtue of its win over the Leopards earlier in the year. The win changed the Patriot League automatic spot, and Lafayette head coach Frank Tavani hoped it provided a reason to include a second team from the conference.

Read the complete story at http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN3990324.htm

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 12:26 AM
I hope we don't have to Appy State or NH.. I want a TX State or anyother team including Montana and G-Southern.

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 12:42 AM
He is predicting a home game for Tx State and a #4 seed with a first round game against Cal Poly. Nicholls St. at Montana in the first round. Wow, bold!

tobmoox
November 20th, 2005, 12:45 AM
I predict bobcats will win it all.. :p

blackfordpu
November 20th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I predict bobcats will win it all.. :p

The Tx State bobkitties? Sorry, I don't see it happening. Not enough playoff experience. :)

GSUISBACK
November 20th, 2005, 12:51 AM
Tx st doesn't deserve a seed

tobmoox
November 20th, 2005, 12:56 AM
No. The Montana State Bobcats. Montana State > Texas State, after all.

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 01:32 AM
The Tx State bobkitties? Sorry, I don't see it happening. Not enough playoff experience. :)

No but plenty of heart and Tallent! :cool:

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Tx st doesn't deserve a seed

Other than the two DII games give reason as to why we don't deserve a seed. We only have one DI AA loss to our Co-Champs and are well ranked in all cattegories. Look at our margin of victory over DI-AA teams including McNeese who beat GSU this year. :cool:

GSUISBACK
November 20th, 2005, 01:49 AM
Weak schedule and i dont see any good wins. You'll prob. get the seed though.

FlyBoy8
November 20th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Dougherty's predictions:
Colgate at No. 1 New Hampshire
Southern Illinois at Georgia Southern
Nicholls State at Montana
Cal Poly at No. 4 Texas State

Youngstown State at No. 2 Appalachian State
Eastern Illinois at UNI;
Eastern Washington at Furman
Richmond at No. 3 Hampton.

The thing that jumps out at me is that he has four conferences split up. The committee wants to keep conference rivals close if possible, correct? So how do you split them up so completely???

Going with his seeds and home teams, I'd think it would look more like this:
CU @ No. 1 UNH
EIU @ UNI
EWU @ No. 4 TSU
NSU @ UM

YSU @ No. 2 ASU
SIU @ FU
UR @ No. 3 HU
CP @ GSU

JohnStOnge
November 20th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Weak schedule and i dont see any good wins. You'll prob. get the seed though.

We'll have to see how the power ratings change for yesterday's games, but going into yesterday they generally had Texas State as a top 4 I-AA team. Both Sagarin and Massey did. And Texas State was the "consensus" #4 among the large number of rating systems and polls at

http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm . Power ratings do consider schedule strength.

They may drop in power ratings, though, after barely getting by Sam Houston.

TexasTerror
November 20th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Other than the two DII games give reason as to why we don't deserve a seed. We only have one DI AA loss to our Co-Champs and are well ranked in all cattegories. Look at our margin of victory over DI-AA teams including McNeese who beat GSU this year. :cool:

Don't go harping on the McN-GSU game. I don't think that holds credibility...

I think Furman at 9-2 is better than a 7-2 Bobcats squad based on SOS and more Div I wins. That's why I'd see them in the mix with Hampton, UNH and App State...

Tribe4SF
November 20th, 2005, 07:28 AM
I think Dougherty is on the money.

henfan
November 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM
I think Matt has successfully selected all 16 teams in the field and the seeds. I wouldn't be too shocked if the Committee awarded Furman a seed based on their 9 D-I wins compared with Texas State's 7, even though TSU has a higher SOS. We'll see.

Anyway and FWIW, my brackets:

Colgate @ New Hampshire
Eastern Washington @ Furman

Richmond @ Hampton
Nicholls State @ Georgia Southern

Youngstown State @ Appalachian State
Eastern Illinois @ Southern Illinois

Cal Poly @ Texas State
Northern Iowa @ Montana

Cincy App
November 20th, 2005, 08:01 AM
I think Matt's selections make sense. My picks are similar to Matt's and are as follows:

Colgate at #1 UNH
Nicholls St at GSU

Cal Poly at #4 Texas St
S. Illinois at Montana

Youngstown St at #2 ASU
E. Illinois at N. Iowa

Richmond at #3 Hampton
E. Washington at Furman

I consider SC State and Lafayette as the last 2 out. I think that Cal Poly and YSU are the last two in.

I also would not be surprised to see the GSU-NSU and UNI-EIU clashes to switch places in the brackets.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 08:31 AM
I think we all thought it made sense last year, and the committee threw Lehigh in there instead. Two years ago, wasn't it Bethune Cookman?

So I expect the unexpected in this one...

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 20th, 2005, 08:35 AM
He must not think much of GSU this year for him to put them in a pair ajacent to the number 1 team's pair.

Oh well, I can think of worse second round opponents than UNH.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I think we all thought it made sense last year, and the committee threw Lehigh in there instead. Two years ago, wasn't it Bethune Cookman?

So I expect the unexpected in this one...

Could the unexpected be Lehigh? (he says hopefully?)

They were the #11 team in the country after losing to their archrival. I'm not pushing the issue, but maybe?

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:06 AM
It seems that everyone is wanting a GSU v. UNH showdown in New Hampshire.

Why does everyone want GSU out of the playoffs so bad?

YOU GUYS SCARED????????

nmatsen
November 20th, 2005, 09:13 AM
I think Matt has successfully selected all 16 teams in the field and the seeds. I wouldn't be too shocked if the Committee awarded Furman a seed based on their 9 D-I wins compared with Texas State's 7, even though TSU has a higher SOS. We'll see.

Anyway and FWIW, my brackets:

Colgate @ New Hampshire
Eastern Washington @ Furman

Richmond @ Hampton
Nicholls State @ Georgia Southern

Youngstown State @ Appalachian State
Eastern Illinois @ Southern Illinois

Cal Poly @ Texas State
Northern Iowa @ Montana

Would the comittee stoop so low as to send a Conference Champion with an auto bid on the road first round to a team that got in via an at-large? i.e. UNI @ Montana

Mudrafan
November 20th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Your prediction that Gateway champ Northern Iowa, who has beaten three straight top-15 teams and has a 1A loss in a very good game to Iowa, will play on the road in the first round to Montana makes zero sense. Northern Iowa is up for a top seed. They certainly will not be on the road in the first round & probably not even in the second.

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Your prediction that Gateway champ Northern Iowa, who has beaten three straight top-15 teams and has a 1A loss in a very good game to Iowa, will play on the road in the first round to Montana makes zero sense. Northern Iowa is up for a top seed. They certainly will not be on the road in the first round & probably not even in the second.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Cap'n Cat has already been in touch with The Committee.

Northern Iowa will get a home game.

Mudrafan
November 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I don't know if you are just trying to be funny but UNI did it on the field. They don't need Captain Cat's help:) I maintain UNI will host two games if not be a top-4 seed.

kardplayer
November 20th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Would the comittee stoop so low as to send a Conference Champion with an auto bid on the road first round to a team that got in via an at-large? i.e. UNI @ Montana

They always do. There are 8 autobids and 8 at larges...

When was the last time a MEAC or OVC team hosted? Plus Lafayette went on the road to Delaware last year despite being the autobid. That's just off the top of my head, but there's gotta be at least 3 or 4 a year...

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Could the unexpected be Lehigh? (he says hopefully?)

They were the #11 team in the country after losing to their archrival. I'm not pushing the issue, but maybe?

No, it couldn't. If it is, holy hell should break loose in Easton and other select cities across the land.

Cap'n Cat
November 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I think Matt's selections make sense. My picks are similar to Matt's and are as follows:

Colgate at #1 UNI
Nicholls St at GSU

Cal Poly at #4 Texas St
S. Illinois at Montana

Youngstown St at #2 ASU
E. Illinois at N. Iowa

Richmond at #3 Hampton
E. Washington at Furman

I consider SC State and Lafayette as the last 2 out. I think that Cal Poly and YSU are the last two in.

I also would not be surprised to see the GSU-NSU and UNI-EIU clashes to switch places in the brackets.

UNI's gotta play twice Saturday?

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:45 AM
I don't know if you are just trying to be funny but UNI did it on the field. They don't need Captain Cat's help:) I maintain UNI will host two games if not be a top-4 seed.

I was being funny, but UNI does deserve a home playoff game.

Again.........don't sweat it! The Committee doesn't always do what is expected as the right thing to do.

Cap'n Cat
November 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I was being funny, but UNI does deserve a home playoff game.

Again.........don't sweat it! The Committee doesn't always do what is expected as the right thing to do.

Just like the last four years, the committee has skipped Ralph and 89Hen and contacted Cap'n Cat and He has provided his input. Now, let's just see if they follow His advice.

:D :D :D :D

Lehigh Lover
November 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Here are my final predictions:

Colgate @ #1 New Hampshire
Eastern Washington @ Georgia Southern

Southern Illinois @ #4 App St
Eastern Illinois @ Northern Iowa

Youngstown St. @ #3 Hampton
Richmond @ Furman

Cal Poly @ #4 Texas St
Nicholls St. @ Montana

This SHOULD be the field. However, the committee has done some crazy things and so, as a fan of a team that has been WOOFED before (Lehigh 2003), my prediction for this year's woofed team: either Cal Poly or Richmond.

Wellington
November 20th, 2005, 11:15 AM
All I can say is: Watch out Furman...

Cincy App
November 20th, 2005, 11:46 AM
UNI's gotta play twice Saturday?

Oops - now fixed. UNH is the #1 seed but I do expect UNI to open the playoffs at home.

I-AA Fan
November 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Nice to see Matt recognizes the Big-3 bias by giving all of them a home game, while better conference clubs travel. GSU hosting is a joke. They are not conference champ, and they are 8-3 with questionable wins.