PDA

View Full Version : London a Candidate in Chestnut Hill

Husky Alum
January 8th, 2009, 09:18 AM
The Boston Globe reported that The University of Chestnut Hill may be interested in interviewing Richmond coach Mike London as a possible replacement for former head coach Jeff Jagodzinski

Here's the extract from the article..

"BC offensive line coach Jack Bicknell Jr., whose father once coached the Eagles, and offensive coordinator Steve Logan are also potential candidates. Richmond head coach Mike London, whose team won the Football Championship Subdivision national title, is expected to be one of DeFilippo's external candidates. London served as BC's defensive line coach from 1997-2000."

Here's the full story

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/01/08/jagodzinski_jettisoned/

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Not a surprise there. I hope for the Spiders' sake (and for the rest of FCS - he showed the night of the championship game that he's a great ambassador) he stays put.

I don't think he leaves this year, but I think it will be hard to keep him from FBS for the long haul.

mcveyrl
January 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
BTW, does anybody see the irony in looking for a coach that wants to be in for the long haul and then trying to pry a coach away from his alma mater after one year?

Cobblestone
January 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
BTW, does anybody see the irony in looking for a coach that wants to be in for the long haul and then trying to pry a coach away from his alma mater after one year?

xnodx

He's a good candidate though, so you really can't blame BC for showing interest. Combine that with the fact that he was on staff there at one time and is familiar with the program and facilities.

Eight Legger
January 8th, 2009, 09:35 AM
I am not surprised by this, since he coached up there and knows the AD pretty well. Of course we all hope he stays, and the fact that he is an alum and wants to see the new stadium open in 2010 may play to our advantage here. He also has signed one of our top recruiting classes ever, so we are hoping that those kids matriculate as scheduled.

That said, of course he is an attractive candidate for any school. He's successful, has a wealth of experience at all levels, is a great guy and a great coach and motivator, and let's face it...there is a dearth of African-American coaches in FBS and particularly in a place like Boston, that would be an added bonus for them.

I still think Mike is a Spider next season.

Husky Alum
January 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM

It's the University of Chestnut Hill, they're the masters of the double speak, we just get used to it up here.

They want to be Harvard Monday-Friday and USC on Saturdays, and it's not going to happen.

It's more ironic that they'd think London would be there for the long haul.

I mean if he wins in Chestnut Hill you don't think a southern school would come calling for him (UVa, perhaps?).

Their problems are simple.

1. They play in a 45,000 seat stadium that can't be expanded much, and won't play a game in Foxboro.

2. There's not a lot of parking (which means not a lot of tailgating) and their day of game atmosphere is different in that manner since fans park a ways away from campus, tailgate there, then get on a bus.

3. Their alumni are long on talk but short on arms when it comes to giving/traveling with their team.

4. Their facilities, while superb for Big East standards (and their new facilities are quite nice) are downright pedestrian compared to the ACC.

5. The AD says the FB coach will get help from admissions, but the help isn't what one would expect.

6. Any new coach is going to have to agree to a very limited interview clause. That may drive away someone like London.

bostonspider
January 8th, 2009, 01:55 PM
The Herald weighs in on the search for a new BC coach as well

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2009_01_08_Who_s_next_at_The_Heights_:_Here_s_a_lo ok_at_possible_successors_to_Jeff_Jagodzinski_at_B C:/

StonewallSpider
January 8th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I don't think London is going anywhere, this just shows that Boston knows how great our coach is.

DTSpider
January 8th, 2009, 07:32 PM
London isn't going to BC. However, we all know that in order to be taken seriously you have to have interviewed before. This is just a way for an old friend to help London be ready for a job when it opens in 2 or 3 years (i.e. whenever Al Groh is gone).

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 8th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Completely agree. Some folks have hailed the BC Athletic Director for being 'firm'. I think DeFillipo has set them behind this week. I would be mad if I were a BC alum.

texcap
January 8th, 2009, 11:23 PM

The irony that I see is BC looking externally for a coach. Afterall, aren't they the ones who fired Jagodzinski for even interviewing with someone else?

uofmman1122
January 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM
lol

No way London goes anywhere. If he does, then he's not the man I thought he was.

Appinator
January 9th, 2009, 08:35 AM
lol

No way London goes anywhere. If he does, then he's not the man I thought he was.

I don't think you can really question a guys character that drastically if he did decide to take the job. He would be going from a coordinator, on an FCS coaching staff, to the head coach of a division winning BCS conference school in only two years. He owes it to himself to see if that opportunity exists.

mcveyrl
January 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I don't think you can really question a guys character that drastically if he did decide to take the job. He would be going from a coordinator on an FCS coaching staff to the head coach of a division winning BCS conference school in only two years. He owes it to himself to see if that opportunity exists.

xconfusedx xconfusedx

London was UR's head coach. He was UVa's DC last year.

Eight Legger
January 9th, 2009, 09:08 AM
xconfusedx xconfusedx

London was UR's head coach. He was UVa's DC last year.

I think he means that at this point last year, he was still UVA's DC...so really in just about one calendar year he would have held all three jobs, if he is hired at BC.

mcveyrl
January 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I think he means that at this point last year, he was still UVA's DC...so really in just about one calendar year he would have held all three jobs, if he is hired at BC.

Got it. It's Friday.

Appinator
January 9th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Got it. It's Friday.

sorry, commas add a lot to this language.

BDKJMU
January 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM
The irony that I see is BC looking externally for a coach. Afterall, aren't they the ones who fired Jagodzinski for even interviewing with someone else?

Maybe they could hire John Defillipo, former JMU QB, Oakland raiders QB coach (got let go after Al Davis fired Kiffin), and son the BC AD.
http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=16964

...just kidding...