PDA

View Full Version : CSN Announces the 2008 Fabulous Fifty Division I FCS All-American Team

smallcollegefbfan
December 30th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Have I missed it? If not, then when is it coming out?

TexasTerror
December 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM
Last year, it came out during the last 10 days of 2007. Should be out soon. ;)

CatMom07
January 1st, 2009, 01:26 AM
http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/index.php?blog=5&title=college-sporting-news-announces-the-2008&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TxSt
Cameron Luke
Blake Burton (listed as RB but was a FB)(Honorable Mention)

Way to go!!!!

smallcollegefbfan
January 1st, 2009, 01:40 AM
Here is the CSN All-Star Team.

2008 NCAA DIVISION I FCS FABULOUS FIFTY ALL-AMERICAN TEAM

HONORS

Coach of the Year: Mike London, Richmond
Offensive Player of the Year: Armanti Edwards, QB, Appalachian State
Defensive Player of the Year: Greg Peach, DE, Eastern Washington
Offensive Lineman of the Year: Matthew McCracken, OG, Richmond
Freshman of the Year: Edwin Gowins, RB, Stony Brook
Playoff Most Valuable Player: Lawrence Sidbury, Jr., DE, Richmond

OFFENSE

QB Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
QB Rodney Landers, James Madison
RB Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois
RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
FB Marcus Mailei, Weber State
AB Larry Warner, Southern Illinois
C Scott Lemm, James Madison
OG Colin Dow, Montana
OG Jonathan Compas, UC Davis
OT Joel Bell, Furman
OT Nick Hennessey, Colgate
OL Cornelius Lewis, Tennessee State
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri State
TE Scott Sicko, New Hampshire
WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
WR Cameron Luke, Texas State
WR John Matthews, San Diego
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon

DEFENSE

DT Everette Pedescleaux, Northern Iowa
DT John Faletoese, UC Davis
DE Greg Miller, Villanova
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DL Austin Lane, Murray State
DL James Ruffin, Northern Iowa
DL Larry Hart, Central Arkansas
DL Sherman Logan, Richmond
LB Andy Schantz, Portland State
LB Bobby Abare, Yale
LB Eric McBride, Richmond
LB Jason Williams, Western Illinois
LB Zach East, Prairie View A&M
CB Dominique Johnson, Jackson State
CB K. J. Gerard, Northern Arizona
DB Carnell Clark, Jacksonville State
DB Courtney Robinson, Massachusetts
DB Dontrell Miller, Tennessee Martin
DB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State
S Colt Anderson, Montana
S Mark LeGree Appalachian State

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Andrew Wilcox, Elon
P Robby Dehaze, Northern Arizona
KR Leroy Vann, Florida A&M
PR Scotty McGee, James Madison
LS Dan Pope, Liberty

Ronbo
January 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
I nominate Chase Reynolds for an Honorable mention.

This Sophmore only started the last 8 games and averaged 163.5 yards per game in those starts and had 1309 yards. In his first 8 games in a backup role he had 275 yards.

Season stats
Chase Reynolds, Montana RB SO 281 carries 1583 yards 22 TD's 5.63 avg.
Receiving: 17 catches, 173 yards, 1 TD

slostang
January 1st, 2009, 01:10 PM
I believe that Stephen Field was one of the top FCS O-linemen. I was surprised that he did not even make HM. He is a four year All-Great West performer and he paved the way for the top offense in the FCS.

CatMom07
January 1st, 2009, 09:42 PM
Individually, junior quarterback Bradley George (http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/george_bradley00.html) ranked sixth nationally in passing efficiency with a rating of 158.88. Junior tailback Karrington Bush (http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bush_karrington00.html) also ranked sixth nationally in all-purpose yards with an average of 179.23 per game, and senior wide receiver Cameron Luke (http://txstatebobcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/luke_cameron00.html) ranked 21st in scoring with 7.85 points per game and was named a Third-Team All-American Wide Receiver by the Associated Press.

This is from an article on the Texas State site. See Karrington Bush? You could make a case for him. We also have a D player that I could argue but I won't in either case. Not everyone can make this poll or team or whatever or the AP Team. They're subjective and everyone on here could likely make a case for some other player. I think Bush should make some of these in the next 2 years as he will be a redshirt Jr next year and George might move up if he continues to improve but if they don't I will handle it.

Bush's stats so far (with 2 more years to shine)
2007 rushing 137/1039 receiving 116 KR 466 TD 3
2008 rushing 136/1065 receiving 210 KR 1055 TD 14

I'll just sit back and watch him run next year

DetroitFlyer
January 2nd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Wow, does CSN even make an effort to do this list any justice?

PFL defensive player of the year Scott Vossler is not even given an honorable mention and David McCarty from Albany is no where to be seen....

JMU Newbill
January 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Wow, does CSN even make an effort to do this list any justice?

PFL defensive player of the year Scott Vossler is not even given an honorable mention and David McCarty from Albany is no where to be seen....

They obviously put a lot of thought into these lists (sarcasm).

First thing I noticed.... Armanti Edwards is the offensive player of the year, and rightfully so. But... how the heck is he offensive player of the year, but doesnt get the nod as the #1 or #2 QB? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense (see the Bradford vs. McCoy arguments from a few weeks ago).

But hey, these lists are the opinions of other people. They are arbitrary and they give us something to talk about!

AppAlum2003
January 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
They obviously but a lot of thought into these lists (sarcasm).

First thing I noticed.... Armanti Edwards is the offensive player of the year, and rightfully so. But... how the heck is he offensive player of the year, but doesnt get the nod as the #1 or #2 QB? Sorry, that doesn't make much sense (see the Bradford vs. McCoy arguments from a few weeks ago).

But hey, these lists are the opinions of other people. They are arbitrary and they give us something to talk about!

Same thing goes for Peach at DE. My only thought is that they were omitted on purpose because they were already on the list as POY???? Either way, poorly done.

smallcollegefbfan
January 2nd, 2009, 01:50 PM
They obviously put a lot of thought into these lists (sarcasm).

They name 50 to this list so I know that they do what they can to add more names they feel are worthy by not putting the POY on the team so they can add a few more players.

Silenoz
January 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
If WR had an honorable mention, Mariani should get it

Tribe4SF
January 2nd, 2009, 02:22 PM

WR did have an honorable mention, and Mariani did get it.

Go to the link in about the third post, and you'll find the full list including HMs.

smallcollegefbfan
January 2nd, 2009, 02:37 PM

Here is the HM. I bolded Mariani for you.

Just like the TSN AA teams last year, just about everyone made HM with this. :)

HONORABLE MENTION
(Players named here might have also been on the Fab 50 team but were also cited as considerations for the top honors)

Coach of the Year: Clint Conque, Central Arkansas; Ron McBride, Weber State.
Offensive Player of the Year: Rodney Landers, James Madison.
Defensive Player of the Year: Colt Anderson, Montana; Marcellus Speaks, Jackson State.
Offensive Lineman of the Year: Stephen Field, Cal Poly.
Freshman of the Year: Deonte Williams, Northern Arizona; Jonathan Grimes, William & Mary; Josh McGregor, Jacksonville; Nate Eachus, Colgate; Greg Dillon, Grambling.

POSITIONAL HONORABLE MENTION

QB - Cameron Higgins, Weber State; Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State.
RB - David Sinisi, Monmouth; Josh Vaughan, Richmond; Trevyn Smith, Weber State; Blake Burton, Texas State.
FB - Jared Turcotte, Maine.
AB - Tim Maypray, VMI; William Osbourne, Texas Southern.
OL - Aaron Lockwood, Southern Illinois; Austin Steichen, Northern Iowa; Brad Sasma, Youngstown State; James Williams, Harvard; Kheon Hendricks, Delaware; Raymond Harrison, South Carolina State; Cleveland Collie, Prairie View A&M; Jonathan Bieschke, Appalachian State; Raphael Nguti, Albany; Derek Wooten, Wofford.
TE - Abner Brown, Mississippi Valley State; Brian Mandeville, Northeastern; John Nalbone, Monmouth; Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas.
WR - Marc Mariani, Montana; Mike Boyle, New Hampshire; Tim Toone, Weber State; Victor Cruz, Massachusetts.
DL - Adrian Tracy, William & Mary; Cedric Lloyd, South Carolina State; Chris Brown, Sam Houston State; Dakota Walker, Georgia Southern; Danny Batten, South Dakota State; Marcus Benard, Jackson State; Melvin Matthews, Grambling State; Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois; Sam Daniels, James Madison; Stephen Nwogbe, Northern Arizona; Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin.
LB - Andy Romans, Lafayette; Chris Covington, Georgia Southern; Jacque Roman, Appalachian State; Jarrell Guyton, Morgan State; Jeffrey Williams, Gardner Webb; Matt Parent, New Hampshire; Osayi Osunde, Villanova; Seth Goldwire, Wofford.
DB - Charles Graves, Delaware; Chris Wynn, Penn; Dino Vasso, New Hampshire; John Clements, New Hampshire; Justin Rodgers, Richmond; Nick Schommer, North Dakota State; Quadir Carter, Lehigh; Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana; William Middleton, Furman; Zach Denton, Eastern Kentucky.
P - Brett Arnold, Massachusetts; Doug Spada, SE Missouri State.

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 02:43 PM
Same thing goes for Peach at DE. My only thought is that they were omitted on purpose because they were already on the list as POY???? Either way, poorly done.

I'm a big advocate of folks that do that. As SmallCollege acknowledged, it was a way to honor more people. If Peach was the Def POTY -- of course, he's a "first-teamer", same goes for Armanti as Off POTY.

It's the same reason that most leagues will honor a PLAYER OF THE YEAR in football and that same individual is not Offensive or Defensive Player of the Year as well. Why should they be rewarded twice, when it's pretty clear?

AppAlum2003
January 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm a big advocate of folks that do that. As SmallCollege acknowledged, it was a way to honor more people. If Peach was the Def POTY -- of course, he's a "first-teamer", same goes for Armanti as Off POTY.

It's the same reason that most leagues will honor a PLAYER OF THE YEAR in football and that same individual is not Offensive or Defensive Player of the Year as well. Why should they be rewarded twice, when it's pretty clear?

Yeah, I see your point.. and that's great, honor as many players as possible. The only problem is the one that you're seeing on this thread... people that take a quick glance are saying "hey, how come so and so didn't make first team??????" If you're going to create a TEAM, make a TEAM and include the best players. By the standards set here, Rodney Landers can tell people he's a first team All-Star while Armanti can't.

It's kind of like not electing a player to the Pro Bowl because he won the MVP.

TexasTerror
January 2nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I see your point.. and that's great, honor as many players as possible. The only problem is the one that you're seeing on this thread... people that take a quick glance are saying "hey, how come so and so didn't make first team??????" If you're going to create a TEAM, make a TEAM and include the best players. By the standards set here, Rodney Landers can tell people he's a first team All-Star while Armanti can't.

Of course, Armanti can't. Yet, Armanti can tell people he was the PLAYER OF THE YEAR. Landers can say he was a first-team player, but only Armanti can say he was POTY. What's wrong with that? xconfusedx

Can't be too greedy...xnonox

smallcollegefbfan
January 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM

It's kind of like not electing a player to the Pro Bowl because he won the MVP.

AE can still he is a unanimous 1st team All-American so far and I am pretty sure TSN won't release a list without him on it so hey being named the OFF POY. Regardless of how anyone words this AE is the only unanimous all-american at QB and that is a very impressive distinction.

Silenoz
January 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
WR did have an honorable mention, and Mariani did get it.

Go to the link in about the third post, and you'll find the full list including HMs.

Well I'll just shut up then

Syntax Error
January 2nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
The only problem is the one that you're seeing on this thread... people that take a quick glance are saying "hey, how come so and so didn't make first team??????" If you're going to create a TEAM, make a TEAM and include the best players. By the standards set here, Rodney Landers can tell people he's a first team All-Star while Armanti can't.There is no first team with the CSN Fab 50 team, just a full team of 50 players. It's a team, not a depth chart like all the others do.

Think of it this way:

Coach of the Year: Mike London, Richmond

OFFENSE

QB Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State (Offensive Player of the Year)
QB Nathan Brown, Central Arkansas
QB Rodney Landers, James Madison
RB Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois
RB Rashad Jennings, Liberty
RB Edwin Gowins, Stony Brook (Freshman of the Year)
FB Marcus Mailei, Weber State
AB Larry Warner, Southern Illinois
C Scott Lemm, James Madison
OG Matthew McCracken, Richmond (Offensive Lineman of the Year)
OG Colin Dow, Montana
OG Jonathan Compas, UC Davis
OT Joel Bell, Furman
OT Nick Hennessey, Colgate
OL Cornelius Lewis, Tennessee State
TE Clay Harbor, Missouri State
TE Scott Sicko, New Hampshire
WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel
WR Cameron Luke, Texas State
WR John Matthews, San Diego
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
WR Terrell Hudgins, Elon

DEFENSE

DT Everette Pedescleaux, Northern Iowa
DT John Faletoese, UC Davis
DE Greg Peach, Eastern Washington (Defensive Player of the Year)
DE Greg Miller, Villanova
DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DE Lawrence Sidbury, Richmond (Playoff Most Valuable Player)
DL Austin Lane, Murray State
DL James Ruffin, Northern Iowa
DL Larry Hart, Central Arkansas
DL Sherman Logan, Richmond
LB Andy Schantz, Portland State
LB Bobby Abare, Yale
LB Eric McBride, Richmond
LB Jason Williams, Western Illinois
LB Zach East, Prairie View A&M
CB Dominique Johnson, Jackson State
CB K. J. Gerard, Northern Arizona
DB Carnell Clark, Jacksonville State
DB Courtney Robinson, Massachusetts
DB Dontrell Miller, Tennessee Martin
DB Lardarius Webb, Nicholls State
S Colt Anderson, Montana
S Mark LeGree Appalachian State

SPECIAL TEAMS

K Andrew Wilcox, Elon
P Robby Dehaze, Northern Arizona
KR Leroy Vann, Florida A&M
PR Scotty McGee, James Madison
LS Dan Pope, Liberty

HONORABLE MENTION
(Players named here might have also been on the Fab 50 team but were also cited as considerations for the top honors)

Coach of the Year: Clint Conque, Central Arkansas; Ron McBride, Weber State.
Offensive Player of the Year: Rodney Landers, James Madison.
Defensive Player of the Year: Colt Anderson, Montana; Marcellus Speaks, Jackson State.
Offensive Lineman of the Year: Stephen Field, Cal Poly.
Freshman of the Year: Deonte Williams, Northern Arizona; Jonathan Grimes, William & Mary; Josh McGregor, Jacksonville; Nate Eachus, Colgate; Greg Dillon, Grambling.

POSITIONAL HONORABLE MENTION

QB - Cameron Higgins, Weber State; Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston State.
RB - David Sinisi, Monmouth; Josh Vaughan, Richmond; Trevyn Smith, Weber State; Blake Burton, Texas State.
FB - Jared Turcotte, Maine.
AB - Tim Maypray, VMI; William Osbourne, Texas Southern.
OL - Aaron Lockwood, Southern Illinois; Austin Steichen, Northern Iowa; Brad Sasma, Youngstown State; James Williams, Harvard; Kheon Hendricks, Delaware; Raymond Harrison, South Carolina State; Cleveland Collie, Prairie View A&M; Jonathan Bieschke, Appalachian State; Raphael Nguti, Albany; Derek Wooten, Wofford.
TE - Abner Brown, Mississippi Valley State; Brian Mandeville, Northeastern; John Nalbone, Monmouth; Marquez Branson, Central Arkansas.
WR - Marc Mariani, Montana; Mike Boyle, New Hampshire; Tim Toone, Weber State; Victor Cruz, Massachusetts.
DL - Adrian Tracy, William & Mary; Cedric Lloyd, South Carolina State; Chris Brown, Sam Houston State; Dakota Walker, Georgia Southern; Danny Batten, South Dakota State; Marcus Benard, Jackson State; Melvin Matthews, Grambling State; Pierre Walters, Eastern Illinois; Sam Daniels, James Madison; Stephen Nwogbe, Northern Arizona; Tim Knicky, Stephen F. Austin.
LB - Andy Romans, Lafayette; Chris Covington, Georgia Southern; Jacque Roman, Appalachian State; Jarrell Guyton, Morgan State; Jeffrey Williams, Gardner Webb; Matt Parent, New Hampshire; Osayi Osunde, Villanova; Seth Goldwire, Wofford.
DB - Charles Graves, Delaware; Chris Wynn, Penn; Dino Vasso, New Hampshire; John Clements, New Hampshire; Justin Rodgers, Richmond; Nick Schommer, North Dakota State; Quadir Carter, Lehigh; Tommy Connors, SE Louisiana; William Middleton, Furman; Zach Denton, Eastern Kentucky.
P - Brett Arnold, Massachusetts; Doug Spada, SE Missouri State.

ngineer
January 2nd, 2009, 11:30 PM
Glad to see Quadir Carter get honorable mention all-american--Had a very good season. However I thought either Lehigh's Diamond or Cohen should have received recognition at LB. Cohen gets another shot next year. He is extremely quick and has a knack for creating turnovers.