PDA

View Full Version : GSU has an argument for #4 seed over Furman

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
If Furman finishes off Chatt today which they should, I can envision GSU getting the #4 seed over Furman.

We would both finish 5-2 in conference, tied for 2nd, but we beat Furman so we would actually get 2nd. Also in the GPI we are several slots ahead of them.

We will see how it goes, but GSU certainly has a decent argument for the #4 seed over Furman.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Yeah well Furman beat App St. but will we get a seed over App St.? We even have 1 more D-I win than App.

App only has one I-AA loss, Furman has 2, GSU 3.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 05:23 PM
GSU needed four more points vs. McNeese or Wofford.

Cincy App
November 19th, 2005, 05:25 PM
App only has one I-AA loss, Furman has 2, GSU 3.

Bingo! Edge Furman over GSU - at least for consideration of a seed.

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM
I don't see either of them getting a seed, and like I have said before I hope GSU does not get a seed. We've won more NC's without a seed...

thirdgendin
November 19th, 2005, 08:24 PM
If Furman finishes off Chatt today which they should, I can envision GSU getting the #4 seed over Furman.

We would both finish 5-2 in conference, tied for 2nd, but we beat Furman so we would actually get 2nd. Also in the GPI we are several slots ahead of them.

We will see how it goes, but GSU certainly has a decent argument for the #4 seed over Furman.

9-2 vs. 8-3

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2005, 08:32 PM
A seed? At 8-3, with losses to McNeese and Wofford...and a lucky win over a feeble Northeastern, you are lucky to be in the post-season ... with all due respect of course. You should travel if you make it ... but cash, attendance, and connections may give you a home game.

Pantherpower
November 19th, 2005, 08:33 PM
I think UNI will get a seed before FU or GSU. Automatic champs and 2-0 against SIU and YSU. It would disgust me to see a team get a seed who couldn't win their own conference. That is just wrong.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2005, 08:35 PM
I think UNI will get a seed before FU or GSU. Automatic champs and 2-0 against SIU and YSU. It would disgust me to see a team get a seed who couldn't win their own conference. That is just wrong.

But those tough losses early may hurt you... Just my opinion. I still don't think any of these 3 teams have a great shot at a seed.

gsugt1
November 19th, 2005, 08:37 PM
A seed? At 8-3, with losses to McNeese and Wofford...and a lucky win over a feeble Northeastern, you are lucky to be in the post-season ... with all due respect of course. You should travel if you make it ... but cash, attendance, and connections may give you a home game.

:argue: :rolleyes: Being ranked in the top 6 on Monday should give us a home game. Beating #1 team in the country helped too. We play by the same rules as everyone else.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Truthfully when when we were 1-2 after the pitiful loss at Wofford I did not think we had much of a shot at the playoffs, but we were 7-1 over the last 8, including the win over then #1 Furman.

Do I believe GSU will be seeded? No

However I feel we have as good of a chance of getting the #4 seed as Furman does. Think about it-- if Furman is seeded then the committee is basically seeding the #3 team from the SoCon this year. We both ended at 5-2 in conference but we own the tiebreaker so we basically finished #2 and Furman #3.

My best guess is that Texas St. will get the #4 seed, or possibly UNI.

gsugt1
November 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM

So GSU beat the #1 team. UNI doesn't deserve a seed more than FU.

thirdgendin
November 19th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Truthfully when when we were 1-2 after the pitiful loss at Wofford I did not think we had much of a shot at the playoffs, but we were 7-1 over the last 8, including the win over then #1 Furman.

Do I believe GSU will be seeded? No

However I feel we have as good of a chance of getting the #4 seed as Furman does. Think about it-- if Furman is seeded then the committee is basically seeding the #3 team from the SoCon this year. We both ended at 5-2 in conference but we own the tiebreaker so we basically finished #2 and Furman #3.

My best guess is that Texas St. will get the #4 seed, or possibly UNI.

There is no tiebreaker to determine who finishes second or third. The tiebreaker is only used when determining who wins the automatic bid to the playoffs.

GSU lost to Wofford and App
Furman lost to WCU and GSU

Both finish tied for second place, GSU at 8-3 and Furman at 9-2 overall.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM
O.K. there may not be an "official" tiebreaker for 2nd or 3rd but obviously if 2 teams tie then the 1 who beat the other is considered ahead of the one who lost.

The same thing goes for the Gateway. YSU and SIU tied but SIU is considered ahead of YSU because they beat them.

Whatever the committee does we will deal with it, but I stand by my belief that GSU has as much chance for the 4th seed as Furman.

Appdad
November 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I don't care if Furman, GSU or App get seeds.

All three are going to represent the SoCon very well in the playoffs.

I almost feel sorry for who they draw.

Saint3333
November 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
GSU also have the third highest avg. attendance of the likely playoff teams and as of today I'd say they're a top 4 team. However if the committee looks at the season as a whole I'd give the seed to Furman.

Bobcat94
November 19th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Hell I'd rather GSU get the fourth seed than Furman.

matfu
November 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM
no way ga southern gets a seed over furman...9 -2 vs. 8-3 ..that is life!

no way texas state gets #4 seed-only 7 1-aa wins vs. 9 for furman.

there is nothing anywhere that prohibits a 2nd or 3rd place team from a conference being seeded. IN FACT , last year both furman and ga southern were seeded...i believe furman was seeded #1 and ga southern # 4

we will find out tomorrow.

Baldy
November 19th, 2005, 09:42 PM

As lucky as Y-town and it's win over a woeful WIU?
Give it a rest Pete, go back to your "poll". :rolleyes:

eaglesrthe1
November 19th, 2005, 11:08 PM
FU gets the seed.

SpiritCymbal
November 19th, 2005, 11:29 PM
I'll give you 3 reasons why Georgia Southern will not get a seed and doesn't deserve a seed.....

1. Wofford
2. McNeese St.
3. Appalachian St.

GaSouthern
November 19th, 2005, 11:31 PM
I say UNI

Laserlips
November 20th, 2005, 09:21 AM
Hey, I'm SO HAPPY that we turned the season around that I'll take whatever we get.

Earlier this season I wouldn't have have thought the GSU Eagles would have made the playoffs. I was sure this was gonna be a "rebuilding" season, and I'm still amazed at the teams improvement, game by game.

I hope we get a home game or two, as it always helps to play at home, but I'll happily take what we are given.

Either you are good enough to beat anybody, anyplace, or you don't deserve to wind up the winner in Chattanooga.

Go EAGLES!

JP

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it has happened before.

Eaglegus2
November 20th, 2005, 09:26 AM
I'll give you 3 reasons why Georgia Southern will not get a seed and doesn't deserve a seed.....

1. Wofford
2. McNeese St.
3. Appalachian St.

This means you are supporting Furman? ;)

Right!!!

They get my vote, also.

Cap'n Cat
November 20th, 2005, 09:36 AM
But those tough losses early may hurt you... Just my opinion. I still don't think any of these 3 teams have a great shot at a seed.

Early losses? Yeah, but ending the season 5-0, including vic's over the 11, 6 and 4 ranked teams oughta say sumpin big. Thinking UNI gets the seed Montana abandoned.

:rolleyes:

Now, if we can just get rid of Hampton...............

Cat79
November 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM
If the committee uses attendance as a factor. Texas State has a better attendance average than Furman for hosting a game.

Bobcat94
November 20th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Good point, 79, Good Point.

thirdgendin
November 20th, 2005, 10:16 AM
If the committee uses attendance as a factor. Texas State has a better attendance average than Furman for hosting a game.

I don't think 300 people really makes that much of a difference:
Texas State 7/87,528 = 12,518
Furman 6/73,241 = 12,207

walliver
November 20th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Attendance plays a big role in picking the other four games (although ca$h up front is also very important.) The four seeds should be the top four teams in the play-offs. Then again, the committee meets in secret and votes in secret and does whatever it is they do in secret.