PDA

View Full Version : New Football Coach named at Towson U

etiger
December 27th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Rob Ambrose has been named the new Head Football Coach at Towson University. This is a great hire. Rob is a Towson Alumni and will do a Fantastic Job at TU.
Congratulations to Rob.

Here is the press release for Towson:
ROB AMBROSE NAMED AS HEAD
FOOTBALL COACH AT TOWSON UNIVERSITY

TOWSON, Md. – Rob Ambrose, the Offensive Coordinator and Associate Head Football Coach at the University of Connecticut, has been named as the Head Football Coach at Towson University, it has been announced by Director of Athletics Mike Hermann.'

A member of Coach Randy Edsall’s staff at UConn for the last seven years, Coach Ambrose is a 1993 Towson graduate. A native of Middletown, Md., Ambrose spent nine seasons as a member of the coaching staff at Towson, starting his coaching career before he even graduated. When he suffered a career-ending injury prior to his senior season, he joined the coaching staff as a Student Assistant Coach and coached the Wide Receivers.

After rising to the position of Offensive Coordinator in 1998, he was named as the Tigers’ Associate Head Coach for the 2000 season.
In 2001, he was the Head Football Coach at Catholic University. After one season with the Cardinals, he joined the staff at the University of Connecticut. a great job.”

MDFAN
December 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
congratulations Coach Ambrose

slostang
December 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Congrats and best of luck to both Towson and coach Ambrose.

State Line Liquors
December 27th, 2008, 05:29 PM
UConn:
109th in the FBS in Passing YPG
19th in the FBS in Rushing YPG

This may indicate a change in offensive style for los tigritos.

4th and What?
December 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Congrats to all involved. I look forward to seeing a Towson game or two in the coming years.

spdram
December 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Sounds like a good hire, wish Towson and Coach luck, except against the Spiders. Hope he is given time to see if he can turn it around because the CAA South is loaded.

GoBlueHens83
December 27th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Congrats Towson, good luck next year.

DFW HOYA
December 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Win-win for both teams. Congratulations.

Tribefan
December 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
UConn seems pretty happy about this. It's addition due to subtraction.xthumbsupx

andy7171
December 29th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I'm happy for Rob. He's been preparing for this day for a long long time.

math123
December 31st, 2008, 10:48 AM
UConn:
109th in the FBS in Passing YPG
19th in the FBS in Rushing YPG

This may indicate a change in offensive style for los tigritos.

Yeah, I'm sure he's just going to run the ball. Led the nation in passing offense in 1999 when he was offensive coordinator at Towson. He's also a former qb and receiver, so do the math. Their qb stunk this year and they had a great back named Donald Brown so they emphasized running the football. The lack of personnel and Randy Edsall was more of a reason why the offense was vanilla than Ambrose.

andy7171
December 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM
More importantly, it shows that he works with what he's got. He's not going to force a round peg through a square hole.

When he was the OC at Towson before he left, we had strong passing years and strong running years.

math123
January 1st, 2009, 07:42 PM
I understand people doubting Rob Ambrose. He had a one-dimensional offense this year at Connecticut and a lot of their fans were pointing fingers. But he wasn't hired solely because of his offense, present or past. He was hired to run a football program in FCS and bring in quality recruits, so Towson could compete in the CAA and make the playoffs for the first time. He went against some very good potential candidates in the interview process and blew them away with his preparation.

At 38, as an alum, who has been out of the program for nearly a decade, he's been waiting his turn to get his chance to turn this thing around with new ideas and a new staff.

Cobblestone
January 1st, 2009, 11:27 PM
More importantly, it shows that he works with what he's got. He's not going to force a round peg through a square hole.

When he was the OC at Towson before he left, we had strong passing years and strong running years.

Was he a teammate of yours?

andy7171
January 2nd, 2009, 06:59 AM
Was he a teammate of yours?

Yeah, Rob was a year ahead of me. He was our "posession" WR and thrid string QB. Our a-hole DT decided to late hit him my junior spring practice and broke his hip. He was a student coaches assistant his senior year, and worked his way up to OC in '00 when he left for CUA.
He's a good guy. I didn't like the way they ended it for Gordy, but I'm glad they gave it to another Towson guy who knows the story behnd the program. Rob's not going to use this job as a stepping stone and jump ship in two years.

Tribe4SF
January 2nd, 2009, 09:02 AM
Ambrose brings the experience in the recruiting world that seemed to be Gordy's lingering problem. I think the jury is still out on whether Gordy had started to get it right because we don't know how his last two classes will pan out. Moving to scholarships, and the CAA required an upgrade of recruiting targets, and an ability to close the deal with them. He also needed to get the best available from Maryland, and that has been the area where I've been surprised he didn't do better. W&M, Delaware and JMU have continued to pluck really good players out of the Tigers' back yard.

On the whole I can understand the change. When Towson joined the league a W&M assistant told me he expected the Tigers to rise quickly, and I think many have been surprised that the program isn't in better shape at this point.