PDA

View Full Version : Assuming all scores hold...

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM
2006 playoff teams:
Appalachian St.
Cal Poly
Colgate
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Washington
Furman
Georgia Southern
Hampton
Montana
New Hampshire
Nicholls St.
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Southern Illinois
Texas St.
Youngstown St.

I'm giving Texas St. the nod as the replacement seed for Montana. They played two D-II teams, yes, but with the exception of their loss to NSU (a playoff team), none of their wins have been close. Their average margin of victory vs. I-AA opponents is better than three touchdowns.

Seeds:
1. UNH
2. ASU
3. TSU
4. HU

Bracket:
Colgate
@ No. 1 New Hampshire

Nicholls St.
@ Furman

Richmond
@ No. 4 Hampton

Youngstown St.
@ Georgia Southern

----------

Eastern Washington
@ No. 2 Appalachian St.

Eastern Illinois
@ Northern Iowa

Cal Poly
@ No. 3 Texas St.

Southern Illinois
@ Montana

JMU Duke Dog
November 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM
It all looks good except for South Carolina State being in the playoffs.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 04:39 PM
I agree.

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2005, 04:40 PM
2006 playoff teams:
Appalachian St.
Cal Poly
Colgate
Eastern Illinois
Eastern Washington
Furman
Georgia Southern
Hampton
Montana
Nicholls St.
Northern Iowa
Richmond
South Carolina St.
Southern Illinois
Texas St.
Youngstown St.

The last spot looks to come down to Lafayette and SCSU, neither of which really deserve it in my opinion. No chance a 7-4 team makes it unless two more teams bite the dust (TSU, SIU, CP).

I'm giving Texas St. the nod as the replacement seed for Montana. They played two D-II teams, yes, but with the exception of their loss to NSU (a playoff team), none of their wins have been close. Their average margin of victory vs. I-AA opponents is better than three touchdowns.

Seeds:
1. UNH
2. ASU
3. TSU
4. HU

Bracket:
Colgate
@ No. 1 New Hampshire

South Carolina St.
@ Furman

Richmond
@ Hampton

Youngstown St.
@ Georgia Southern

----------

Eastern Washington
@ No. 2 Appalachian St.

Eastern Illinois
@ Northern Iowa

Cal Poly
@ No. 3 Texas St.

Nicholls St.
@ Montana

ok so UNH obviuously gets the #1 seed yet u dont list them in ur first section of the playoff teams. so who on the first list got screwed? lol

GSUISBACK
November 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Quit hating

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 04:43 PM
SIU would be in and SCSU would be out. Damn, can't believe I did that.

Ok, so Nicholls St. would travel to Furman instead of Montana, and SIU would go to Montana. Does that make sense?

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM
You forgot UNH in your list and then left SIU out of your bracket.

Teams are:

Automatics:
UNH
UNI
EWU
Hampton
Nicholls
App St.
Colgate
EIU

At Large:
Furman (9-2)
Richmond (8-3)
GSU (8-3)
Cal Poly (8-3)
Texas State (7-2)
Montana (7-3)
SIU (7-3)
YSU (7-3)

SC State with the Woffy Award!
I think YSU is the last one in a this point.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Yeah I fixed it. I moved NSU to Furman and put SIU at Montana.

I know the committee likes to keep te conferences on the same half of the bracket if possible, but that will be difficult the way things have played out. Unless there are some surprises as far as home games, there isn't much wiggle room to work with.

PIRATETIZED1
November 19th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Orig. posted by JMU Duke Dog
It all looks good except for South Carolina State being in the playoffs.

I agree w/ JDD!!! :nod:

If Coastal had NOT lost today .... it would've been Coastal in.

Looks good for de' BULLDOGS now...!

TopsInDaVille
November 19th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Does SC State get in if Cal Poly loses tonight? (Could happen!) I agree that Youngstown is the last one in (no knock Penguins fans.)

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 05:00 PM
TX St's best win is McNeese. Furman beat a probable seed, App St., and Hofstra who is probably better than any TX St. win, and also Furman has 2 more D-I wins.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Very true. I wouldn't have a problem with Furman getting it. I do think geography might have something to do with it though. The whole setup of the bracket depends on who gets that seed.

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Is it possible for GSU to host two playoff games provided they win in the first round?

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Is it possible for GSU to host two playoff games provided they win in the first round?

If the seed in your 4-team bracket is upset, then it is possible (depending on who the team is). If the seed wins though, you are travelling unless they fail to make the minimum bid for a quarterfinal game.

rcny46
November 19th, 2005, 05:16 PM
I agree w/ JDD!!! :nod:

If Coastal had NOT lost today .... it would've been Coastal in.

Looks good for de' BULLDOGS now...!

The only possible way for SCSU to make the cut is a loss by TSU,SIU,or Cal Poly.Otherwise,there is just no room for them.

ButlerGSU
November 19th, 2005, 05:44 PM
If the seed in your 4-team bracket is upset, then it is possible (depending on who the team is). If the seed wins though, you are travelling unless they fail to make the minimum bid for a quarterfinal game.

Thanks HensRock, btw, what can you tell me about U Del's grad program? (the MPA program)

siugrad99
November 19th, 2005, 05:50 PM
Highly doubt SIU goes to Montana. and a 9-2 SCSU still is sitting home

November 19th, 2005, 05:54 PM
What about 8-3 Lafayette?

HensRock
November 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Thanks HensRock, btw, what can you tell me about U Del's grad program? (the MPA program)

Sorry. No info on the grad program. It's been a while since I've been in school there! We should have a heckuva football team next year for you to follow though!

TexasTerror
November 19th, 2005, 05:58 PM
TxSt is in overtime right now...

We'll see if they pull it out against the Kats...Kats are having problems moving the ball here in OT...

colgate13
November 19th, 2005, 06:07 PM
What about 8-3 Lafayette?

I totally concur. A ton of people are not even giving it a second glance. They have the same record as Richmond, with a win over Richmond and ranked Lehigh.

Don't be shocked if they are in the field - they go to UNH and Colgate travels to a SoCon or Gateway school.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 06:10 PM
If Cal Poly wins, who are you replacing with Lafayette?

Cal Poly
Georgia Southern
Furman
Montana
Richmond
Southern Illinois
Texas St.
Youngstown St.

I assume Richmond? Can't see the co-A-10 champ being replaced by Lafayette even though LC beat them early in the season.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 06:21 PM
If Furman gets the seed, here's how I think the bracket would look:

1. UNH
2. ASU
3. HU
4. FU

Colgate
@ No. 1 New Hampshire

Eastern Illinois
@ Northern Iowa

Youngstown St.
@ No. 4 Furman

Southern Illinois
@ Georgia Southern

--------

Eastern Washington
@ No. 2 Appalachian St.

Cal Poly
@ Texas St.

Richmond
@ No. 3 Hampton

Nicholls St.
@ Montana

November 19th, 2005, 06:23 PM
If Cal Poly wins, who are you replacing with Lafayette?...YSU

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Tough call. I could see that though.

89Hen
November 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Youngstown St.

@ Texas St.

I just don't see Texas State getting a home game over YSU. :twocents:

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
If the NCAA Doesn't pick YSU this year then YSU may just drop a division or go up.. Its a shame a conference champ will be placed on a bubble vs a team they'd most likely beat.

And ya TXSt. Won't host with YSU.. They will host just not vs a YSU Team.

November 19th, 2005, 06:39 PM
If the NCAA Doesn't pick YSU this year then YSU may just drop a division or go up.. Its a shame a conference champ will be placed on a bubble vs a team they'd most likely beat..."If you are expecting Youngstown State's playoff tradition to carry the Penguins into the playoff, don't be. YSU is firmly on the playoff bubble and probably needs at least one team with playoff aspirations to lose (preferably Southern Illinois when it hosts North Dakota State) to guarantee an admission into the field." or "If you are from the Patriot League, don't expect two spots in the playoffs this season."

http://i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=74290

NYSigma
November 19th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Again I don't understand some people's logic here. You just said Texas State played 2 DIVISION II teams and you have them seeded over Hampton??? How come when someone else plays a DIV II team it's so critical??? So you will give Texas St a Seed over HU who has played all IAA teams. This proves that some of you are just hating....

November 19th, 2005, 07:08 PM
... So you will give Texas St a Seed over HU who has played all IAA teams. This proves that some of you are just hating....This isn't the smack board, these are just opinions.

GSU Eagle
November 19th, 2005, 07:40 PM
The only way Lafayette gets in is if Cal Poly loses tonight. YSU should get in over Lafayette.

GrizSweeper
November 19th, 2005, 07:42 PM
I think YSU is in as well, but will Richmond really make it over Lafayette after losing head to head?

colgate13
November 19th, 2005, 07:43 PM
I assume Richmond? Can't see the co-A-10 champ being replaced by Lafayette even though LC beat them early in the season.

Why? They are the PL co-champ and beat them head to head. What's to discuss? Why is Richmond's resume better to the point it negates head to head competition?

November 19th, 2005, 07:45 PM
I wish some of you would give some reasons for your "they should get in" posts. Makes for good discussion. :nod:

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2005, 07:50 PM
I wish some of you would give some reasons for your "they should get in" posts. Makes for good discussion. :nod:
OK
The SIU Salukis played 4 straight games down the stretch agains ranked teams. They won 3 of those games a lost by one in a road game (the dreaded UNIDome). Who do you think could have done better in the last month with that schedule?

GrizSweeper
November 19th, 2005, 07:51 PM
OK
The SIU Salukis played 4 straight games down the stretch agains ranked teams. They won 3 of those games a lost by one in a road game (the dreaded UNIDome). Who do you think could have done better in the last month with that schedule?
New Hampshire

November 19th, 2005, 07:54 PM
New HampshireWhy? :confused:

GrizSweeper
November 19th, 2005, 07:55 PM
they have the team that could do it, explosive offense and great all around team, they will be hard to stop, just an opinion though

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Sir Ralph, today's poster only has to put down anything. If they need to put a reason, they get lost. But perish the thought that you might go against them. "Because I said so" works for them.

None of them are for discussion, they are only for arguments. As they would say. "Nuff said".

skinny_uncle
November 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Sir Ralph, today's poster only has to put down anything. If they need to put a reason, they get lost. But perish the thought that you might go against them. "Because I said so" works for them.

None of them are for discussion, they are only for arguments. As they would say. "Nuff said".
There is a very thin line between discussions and arguments.

November 19th, 2005, 08:00 PM
they have the team that could do it, explosive offense and great all around team, they will be hard to stop, just an opinion thoughWell SIU might have suspect secondary but UNH has not been able to stop anybody recently on defense. SIU does have a run game that could keep the ball away from UNH... But would UNH beat UNI/YSU/WKU/NDSU?

igo4uni
November 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
But would UNH beat UNI?

Not in the fabulous UNI-Dome!! :)

peace

igo4uni

GrizSweeper
November 19th, 2005, 08:04 PM
it would be fun to see at least

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 08:07 PM
There is a very thin line between discussions and arguments.

Only if you make it thin. I've said it before, these posters who've come here within the last couple months, this is not you're teams boards. This is for I-AA fans in general from across the country and the world who share a love of I-AA football. Provide a method for discussion, knowing that not everyone will agree. Don't be so thin skinned as to take every criticism to heart, as if they are picking on you personally.

I could go on, but it would not be fair to those who wish to post on this thread. I seem to be going off topic here.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM
To whoever asked about seeding TSU over Hampton, I've been under the impression that geography mattered when deciding seeds. Apparently this is wrong, which I'm still not sure it doesn't matter unofficially. Either way, I agree Hampton should get a higher seed than No. 4.

Why is Richmond's resume better to the point it negates head to head competition?

I think the question is why did Richmond come into today with a GPI of 17 while Lafayette came in with a GPI of 48? I'll tell you:

SOS

Let's line up UR's and LC's wins from best to worst.

UR
1. Hofstra (7-4)
2. JMU (7-4)
3. W&M (5-6)
4. TU (5-6)
5. UD (6-5)
6. Maine (5-6)
7. VU (4-7)
8. VMI (3-8)

LC
1. Richmond (8-3)
2. Lehigh (8-3)
3. Holy Cross (6-5)
4. Georgetown (4-7)
5. Marist (6-5)
6. Fordham (2-9)
7. Columbia (2-8)
8. Bucknell (1-10)

Now losses ("best" to worst):
UR
1. Vanderbilt (just beat UT today)
2. Massachusetts (7-4)
3. Lafayette (8-3)

LC
1. Colgate (8-3)
2. Princeton (7-3)
3. Harvard (7-3)

It seems self-explanatory to me. Richmond has better wins. Richmond has "better" losses. Richmond has the same record with a tougher schedule. Richmond has a higher GPI. Richmond's first two losses came before Clawson finally got a clue and put Tutt back at QB.

That's why.

JALMOND
November 19th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Richmond or Lafayette indeed is a interesting dilemma. Lafayette does own head to head, having beaten Richmond OOC. But beating a team early in the season does not mean that team could get a win over the other later in the season. Also, the game was at Lafayette, college athletics favor the home team in almost every sport. I guess the committee would have to ask if played on a neutral field who would win at the end of the season?

The way Stanford and Davis both ended their seasons, could Davis beat them again now? Likewise, could Lafayette beat Richmond again now?

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Richmond did not have their senior playmaker Stacey Tutt at QB for those first two losses, including the Lafayette game. In other words, Richmond is 8-1 with their current QB and the only loss was to Vanderbilt.

The Spiders that smoked William & Mary 41-7 today are not the Spiders that lost 7-0 to Lafayette.

kardplayer
November 19th, 2005, 09:06 PM
2 points in here -
1. I'm a firm believer that the committee doesn't look at "quality losses". In 2003, Lehigh's 3 losses were to a I-A (Connecticut), an undefeated Penn (by 3 I believe) and an undefeated and seeded Colgate (also by one score) and they were the last team out. That's not the important point though...

2. The bigger question is - what approach does the committee take? Is it "who had the better season" or "who would win if they played today"? If its the former, then they almost have to take Lafayette. They basically earn the "tiebreaker" with that head-to-head victory. If they played today, its hard to argue that the Tutt-led Richmond team would lose. Does anyone have historic precedent or rules that point to either of these approaches?

hawkineer
November 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Is it "who had the better season" or "who would win if they played today"? If its the former, then they almost have to take Lafayette.
I not sure how you can argue that LC had a "better season" than Richmond. :confused: Except for Richmond and LU, their wins were against very poor teams with Marist having the only other winning record. They played 3 Ivies and only beat lowly Columbia.

spdram
November 19th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Of course I'm biased, but I believe Richmond gets in over Lafayette. The reason is one of Richmond's losses is to 1-A Vanderbilt. All of Lafayette's losses were to 1-AA.

ngineer
November 19th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Agreed. Having seen LC first hand their defense is stellar. The offense is sporadic. I guess it comes down to the Committee deciding if the LC win over Richmond means as much now as then, since UR appears to have become a much different team since Tutt took over at QB. Will they take such a nuance into consideration? UR's offense was very unimpressive at Lafayette ( I watched some on TV), but since the change, they've been putting up some impressive numbers.

colgate13
November 19th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I think the question is why did Richmond come into today with a GPI of 17 while Lafayette came in with a GPI of 48? I'll tell you:

SOS

Let's line up UR's and LC's wins from best to worst.

UR
1. Hofstra (7-4)
2. JMU (7-4)
3. W&M (5-6)
4. TU (5-6)
5. UD (6-5)
6. Maine (5-6)
7. VU (4-7)
8. VMI (3-8)

LC
1. Richmond (8-3)
2. Lehigh (8-3)
3. Holy Cross (6-5)
4. Georgetown (4-7)
5. Marist (6-5)
6. Fordham (2-9)
7. Columbia (2-8)
8. Bucknell (1-10)

Now losses ("best" to worst):
UR
1. Vanderbilt (just beat UT today)
2. Massachusetts (7-4)
3. Lafayette (8-3)

LC
1. Colgate (8-3)
2. Princeton (7-3)
3. Harvard (7-3)

It seems self-explanatory to me. Richmond has better wins. Richmond has "better" losses. Richmond has the same record with a tougher schedule. Richmond has a higher GPI. Richmond's first two losses came before Clawson finally got a clue and put Tutt back at QB.

That's why.

(this is an honest attempt at discussion)

It's really funny to read that because I see those figures and come up with an opposite explanation.

1. UR's two best wins are against unranked opponets (unless JMU sneaks in). LC's two best wins are against ranked teams, with better records.
2. UR's opponets have a record of 42-46. LC's have a record of 35-50. Not dramatically different.
3. As stated earlier, I think looking at losses is silly. There is no such thing as a good loss. But if I'm to compare the two, neither one stands out.
4. Excuse making shouldn't get a team into the playoffs. All of this talk that UR was beat without Tutt makes me laugh. Will there be an asterisk next to the loss in the media guide in future years? Why is everyone so sure that LC wouldn't have beat Richmond with Tutt, or beat them if they faced them again? Are these the same people that were so sure Lehigh would win?
5. This reliance on the GPI and other statistics, to the point they are more important than head to head results, smacks of I-A BCS crap to me. So rankings and formulas are a better indicator of who would win in a game then actual, on the field results? How many times in the past would there be two teams getting looked at at playoff team that have actually played? Often its a hypothetical battle where you have to go on stuff like the GPI. But not in this case! Throw hypotheticals out the window! They met on the field, Lafayette won, end of story!
6. These kinds of arguements get me SO mad at the Ivy league for not participating in the playoffs. Too often games against them are sloughed to the side and not given the weight they deserve.
7. Finally, what really sticks in my craw is that it seems to me the Richmond at-large case is built largely on A-10 affiliation. "The A-10 co-champ should go" kind of stuff. What is that all about? Since when is conference co-champ entitled to go to the playoffs over a team with the same record that BEAT the team in question?

colgate13
November 19th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Of course I'm biased, but I believe Richmond gets in over Lafayette. The reason is one of Richmond's losses is to 1-A Vanderbilt. All of Lafayette's losses were to 1-AA.

That makes no sense to me whatsoever. Who cares about losses? Replace the loss to Harvard with Vanderbilt, would that make LC's case better? Replace Vanderbilt with Harvard, would that make UR's case worse?

This is like beating a dead horse, but...

You can't give credit to Richmond for a theorhetical I-AA win in place of a I-A loss. If they scheduled Harvard instead of Vanderbilt, there is no guarantee it's a win. They could have the same result Lafayette did.

lugo02
November 19th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Everyone keep bring up Pre-Tutt or Post-Tutt. Does the committee look at Individual Players when deciding which Team gets in?

How many ranked teams did Richmond beat?
A lost to a I-A is still a lost and counts the same as a lost to a I-AA.
Why do you always make the assumtion that a I-A Lost == I-AA win?

hawkineer
November 19th, 2005, 10:38 PM
(this is an honest attempt at discussion)
2. UR's opponets have a record of 42-46. LC's have a record of 35-50. Not dramatically different.
3. As stated earlier, I think looking at losses is silly. There is no such thing as a good loss. But if I'm to compare the two, neither one stands out.
5. This reliance on the GPI and other statistics, to the point they are more important than head to head results, smacks of I-A BCS crap to me. So rankings and formulas are a better indicator of who would win in a game then actual, on the field results? How many times in the past would there be two teams getting looked at at playoff team that have actually played? Often its a hypothetical battle where you have to go on stuff like the GPI. But not in this case! Throw hypotheticals out the window! They met on the field, Lafayette won, end of story!

The case for LC is disingenuous.
2. First, the difference between 42-46 (47.7%)and 35-50 (41.1%), especially when you take into account that the A-10 beat up on each other while the P.L. teams were terrible OOC this year and Fordham, Georgetown, and Bucknell were awful.
3. How can you not take into account quality of loss? Losses to UMass, LC, and Vanderbilt versus Princeton, Harvard, and Colgate. If you don't, what is the incentive for a 1-AA team to take on tough OOC teams including 1-As. Stating that a loss to Vanderbilt is the some as a loss to Harvard is silly. I'll bet that if Colgate was 8-3 with a loss to Navy or Army, you'd be arguing differently.
5. Just a question, if Colgate had not been handed the autobid today, would you be arguing that they should have been selected over an 8-3 UMass team since CU won the head-to-head? Curiously, haven't heard that argument til now.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2005, 10:51 PM
I think all of a team's I-AA record is relevant-- wins and losses. Isn't that obvious? App St is a likely seed, are they not?

Richmond has a better record in I-AA than does Lafayette, at 8-2 vs. 8-3. Seems clear to me.

FlyBoy8
November 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM
[i]1. UR's two best wins are against unranked opponets (unless JMU sneaks in). LC's two best wins are against ranked teams, with better records.
"So rankings and formulas are a better indicator of who would win a game than actual on the field results?" Those are your words. How do you come to the conclusion that Lehigh is better than Hofstra and JMU? You didn't actually say that, but that was the insinuation. Personally, I'd rank both of those teams above Lehigh.

Not dramatically different? I disagree. For one thing, LC's opponents went 14-6 vs. mid-majors. Four teams that Lafayette is counting as D-I wins lost to a mid-major this year. Meanwhile, Richmond's defeated opponents beat teams like New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Lehigh.

If you don't want to look at losses, that's understandable. But you're nuts if you think Vanderbilt, UMass and Lafayette aren't significantly better than Colgate, Princeton and Harvard.

4. Excuse making shouldn't get a team into the playoffs. All of this talk that UR was beat without Tutt makes me laugh. Will there be an asterisk next to the loss in the media guide in future years? Why is everyone so sure that LC wouldn't have beat Richmond with Tutt, or beat them if they faced them again? Are these the same people that were so sure Lehigh would win?

I wasn't making excuses. It's an explanation for people that haven't followed Richmond.

William & Mary beat New Hampshire. Are you saying that William & Mary is the better team? Of course not. Things like strength of schedule have to be considered because upsets happen all the time. Any Given Saturday. How many playoff teams will have lost to a non-playoff team?

6. These kinds of arguements get me SO mad at the Ivy league for not participating in the playoffs. Too often games against them are sloughed to the side and not given the weight they deserve.

Are you talking about the losses that Lafayette has? Because I thought a loss was a loss. :) Frankly, LC is benefiting from the Ivy League's position because they lost to the second and third-best Ivy teams - both which would be bubble teams. Lafayette's performance against the Ivy League is a 1-2 record with a win against Columbia. I fail to see how that helps them.

7. Finally, what really sticks in my craw is that it seems to me the Richmond at-large case is built largely on A-10 affiliation. "The A-10 co-champ should go" kind of stuff. What is that all about? Since when is conference co-champ entitled to go to the playoffs over a team with the same record that BEAT the team in question?
It doesn't have anything to do with that. Richmond's wins are better any way you look at it.

nmatsen
November 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
OK

Northern Iowa, they did!

TXST_CAT
November 20th, 2005, 01:15 AM
TX St's best win is McNeese. Furman beat a probable seed, App St., and Hofstra who is probably better than any TX St. win, and also Furman has 2 more D-I wins.

-We have only one AA loss to our co-champ in OT
-Our margin of victory over AA comp.
-a respectable attendance at home.
-Our GPI rating
-Our Saragins Rank
-top ten for over four weeks
Any other Questions? :cool:

MiloCat
November 20th, 2005, 01:47 AM
Richmond has a better record in I-AA than does Lafayette, at 8-2 vs. 8-3. Seems clear to me.

Just by looking at them records, 8-2 vs 8-3 doesn't seem to clear to me. You can't assume Richmond would have won another I-AA game. Richmond's record might look more impressive after looking at SOS (I don't really know), but 8-2 is not "clearly better" than 8-3.

HensRock
November 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I don't understand why people are talking about Richmond being ousted by Lafayette. As if UR were the last team in. If LC gets in (I dount it) it should be at the expense of 7-3 YSU or 7-3 SIU before looking at 8-3 Richmond, in my opinion.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 07:06 AM
I don't understand why people are talking about Richmond being ousted by Lafayette. As if UR were the last team in. If LC gets in (I dount it) it should be at the expense of 7-3 YSU or 7-3 SIU before looking at 8-3 Richmond, in my opinion.

If that is true, than great. But the issue is if UR gets in, LC should too.

colgate13
November 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM
"So rankings and formulas are a better indicator of who would win a game than actual on the field results?" Those are your words. How do you come to the conclusion that Lehigh is better than Hofstra and JMU? You didn't actually say that, but that was the insinuation. Personally, I'd rank both of those teams above Lehigh.

Going strictly on Win/Loss records.

Not dramatically different? I disagree. For one thing, LC's opponents went 14-6 vs. mid-majors. Four teams that Lafayette is counting as D-I wins lost to a mid-major this year. Meanwhile, Richmond's defeated opponents beat teams like New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Lehigh.

Lafayette defeated opponents like Lehigh and Richmond. I don't get giving credit to UR for beating teams that beat someone like UNH. I could get Colgate to beat Notre Dame if I use that formula far enough.

If you don't want to look at losses, that's understandable. But you're nuts if you think Vanderbilt, UMass and Lafayette aren't significantly better than Colgate, Princeton and Harvard.

Nuts? First, what's that say about Richmond that they lost to a team that lost to supposedly inferior teams than Richmond's losses?

But really, throw Vandy out of this. You can't have your paydate and playoffs too! You want it both ways. You want to play a I-A but somehow give credit for the loss as it would be a I-AA win instead. Replace Vandy with any I-AA in the land. You can't say UR would win. Who do you replace it with and then compare it to LC's OOC. As for UMass and Lafayette, well, UMass is not better than Colgate by virtue of their loss to 'gate and Princeton and Harvard are not better than Lafayette by virtue of beating LC. So IMO, Lafayette's I-AA losses are to better teams than UR.

I wasn't making excuses. It's an explanation for people that haven't followed Richmond.

Not saying you were. But that's the line being thrown out to discredit LC beating them.

William & Mary beat New Hampshire. Are you saying that William & Mary is the better team? Of course not.

But I would be if they had the same record. ;)

Are you talking about the losses that Lafayette has? Because I thought a loss was a loss. :) Frankly, LC is benefiting from the Ivy League's position because they lost to the second and third-best Ivy teams - both which would be bubble teams. Lafayette's performance against the Ivy League is a 1-2 record with a win against Columbia. I fail to see how that helps them.

Then I think you hold minority opinion. Ivy games are held up as weaker OOC games by most.

doesn't have anything to do with that. Richmond's wins are better any way you look at it.

On average, I'll agree. But not to the point where it's worth more than head to head competition. Also, how can you know LC would not be 8-3 with that record too?

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2005, 07:15 AM
I disagree; because then you snub out a dangerous Youngstown State team; CO-CHAMPS OF THE GATEWAY; once again one of the best conferences this year IF NOT THE BEST!

Cincy App
November 20th, 2005, 07:19 AM
Richmond is clearly in the field, IMO. If comparing Lafayette vs. Richmond, then I would focus on Richmond's I-AA record (8-2) vs. Lafayette (8-3). Lafayette also has 5 wins against very poor teams (Marist, G'town, Fordham, Columbia, and Bucknell). One of these teams is a mid-major while, I believe, 4 teams on Lafayette's schedule lost to mid-majors.

Lafayette and Patriot fans better start focusing your arguments against YSU. Regionalization is real and the Committee may take a 4th Eastern region team instead of a 3rd Gateway Conference team or a 5th Western team. My opinion is that Cal Poly and YSU are the last 2 teams in while Lafayette and SC State are the first two out. Luckily for Patriot fans, I'm not on the Committee! Seriously, good luck to all.