18. Maine Black Bears 8-5 597 20
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 8-4 564 21
20. William & Mary Tribe 7-4 440 19
21. McNeese State Cowboys 7-4 420 18
22. Texas State Bobcats 8-5 322 23
23. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 8-3 264 22
24. Grambling State Tigers 11-2 235 NR 2
5. Prairie View A&M Panthers 9-1 172 25

Others receiving votes: Tennessee-Martin 124, Albany 116, South Dakota State 91, Furman 55, Tennessee State 43 Brown 40, Massachusetts 32, Florida A&M 24, Jacksonville 19, Eastern Washington 17, Western Illinois 14, Holy Cross 13, Georgia Southern 12, North Dakota State 11, Northwestern State 7, Montana State 5, San Diego 4, Bethune-Cookman.

As of December 22, 2008, at 04:52 PM ET

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm

appfan2008
December 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I like app at 5... looks good to me...

TheValleyRaider
December 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else.

1. Richmond Spiders (80) 13-3 2,000 7
2. Montana Grizzlies 14-2 1,903 5
3. James Madison Dukes 12-2 1,797 1
4. Northern Iowa Panthers 12-3 1,733 4
5. Appalachian State Mountaineers 11-3 1,711 2
6. Villanova Wildcats 10-3 1,584 6
7. Weber State Wildcats 10-4 1,441 12
8. New Hampshire Wildcats 10-3 1,434 10
9. Wofford Terriers 9-3 1,331 8
10. Cal Poly Mustangs 8-3 1,315 3
11. Southern Illinois Salukis 9-3 1,165 9
12. Central Arkansas Bears 10-2 1,072 11
13. South Carolina State Bulldogs 10-3 1,023 13
14. Liberty Flames 10-2 791 14
15. Harvard Crimson 9-1 716 15
15. Colgate Raiders 9-3 716 16
17. Elon Phoenix 8-4 680 17
18. Maine Black Bears 8-5 597 20
19. Eastern Kentucky Colonels 8-4 564 21
20. William & Mary Tribe 7-4 440 19
21. McNeese State Cowboys 7-4 420 18
22. Texas State Bobcats 8-5 322 23
23. Jacksonville State Gamecocks 8-3 264 22
24. Grambling State Tigers 11-2 235 NR 2
5. Prairie View A&M Panthers 9-1 172 25

Others receiving votes: Tennessee-Martin 124, Albany 116, South Dakota State 91, Furman 55, Tennessee State 43 Brown 40, Massachusetts 32, Florida A&M 24, Jacksonville 19, Eastern Washington 17, Western Illinois 14, Holy Cross 13, Georgia Southern 12, North Dakota State 11, Northwestern State 7, Montana State 5, San Diego 4, Bethune-Cookman.

There we go. Assuming those vote totals are correct, we should be listed as tied with Harvard :D

Now if we would only ever play one another....

clenz
December 23rd, 2008, 09:52 AM
Looks okay to me...but NDSU STILL getting votes? What the hell?

henfan
December 23rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

Prairie media bias. xnodx

ASUMountaineer
December 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
Prairie media bias. xnodx

xlolx Reppies

BobcatJH
December 23rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
How can Mcneese State be above Texas State?

We kicked their $sses in Lake Charles and finished ahead of them in the SLC.

UNIFanSince1983
December 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
NDSU is deserving of votes. Personally I think they were a better team than Western Illinois, and WIU got more votes.

I guess I don't get how McNeese could be rated ahead of Texas State-San Marcos? I mean Texas State beat McNeese and finished ahead of them in the conference. They made the playoffs, but I guess a loss to the national runner-up Montana meant more than all of the other stuff.

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2008, 10:40 AM

A 45-42 win, with McNeese having two turnovers in the Southwest Texas State U redzone, plus another in the McNeese redzone is hardly "kicking our asses."

Now, you played well, you DID win the game and you did get the Auto Bid, so you should have been ranked higher than we were. But you can forget that nonsense about "kicking our ass".

If you want to see an exemplar ass-kicking, take a look at the 41-20 results in 2007. THAT was an ass-kicking...

It's a moot point. Central Arkansas was clearly the class of the Southland Conference this year....

BobcatJH
December 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
The score was 38-20 going into the 4th quarter!!

The game was not as close as the final score indicated. You outscored us in garbage time....Congrats!! Now go ring your cowbell.

whitey
December 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
A 45-42 win, with McNeese having two turnovers in the Southwest Texas State U redzone, plus another in the McNeese redzone is hardly "kicking our asses."

The game was not as close as the final score indicated. You outscored us in garbage time....Congrats!! Now go ring your cowbell.

Deja Vu....Where have I heard this debate before? xwhistlex

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2008, 10:52 AM

You guys fortuitously benefitted from the absence of All SLC recever Quinten Lawrence who sustained a season ending injury the week before AND you fortuitously benefitted from McNeese having been in a physical double overtime game in South Dakota the wee before.

Now, you played well, you DID win the game and you did get the Auto Bid, so you should have been ranked higher than we were. But you can forget that nonsense about "kicking our ass".

If you want to see an exemplar ass-kicking, take a look at the 41-20 results in 2007. THAT was an ass-kicking...

It's a moot point. Central Arkansas was clearly the class of the Southland Conference this year....

HensRock
December 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
SDSU should be ranked IMO.

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2008, 11:15 AM

I didn't say that you didn't win. You did. But you hardly "kicked our asses."

You got outgained. The passing numbers were roughly equal, as were the number of first downs, etc.

It was a win, but it was hardly an ass kicking...

Take off the Bobcat colored glasses. Every SWTSU win isn't ass-kicking writ large and every SWTSU loss isn't a case of you being robbed...

BobcatJH
December 23rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I am hardly a Bobcat homer. Anyone who has read my posts on Bobcatfans would attest to that.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think an 18 point lead going into the 4th is a solid beating. Stop calling us SWTSU!!! haha

What happened to McNeese this season? I thought you guys brought back almost the entire 07 team. I expected them to contend for the national title this year.

JohnStOnge
December 23rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
I am hardly a Bobcat homer. Anyone who has read my posts on Bobcatfans would attest to that.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think an 18 point lead going into the 4th is a solid beating. Stop calling us SWTSU!!! haha

What happened to McNeese this season? I thought you guys brought back almost the entire 07 team. I expected them to contend for the national title this year.

Actually, they lost a lot on defense including Brian Smith. And that was their problem. They lost four games in which they scored 27, 42, 35, and 30 points. And the 27 was against North Carolina.

Another thing that happened is that they lost their fastest receiver, Quinten Lawrence, for the season during the SDSU game. He may have been the fastest player in the conference. Then they lost their other "stretch the field" receiver, Immanuel Friddle, early in the Texas State game after he'd opened that contest with a long run on a reverse. He did come back to play late in the season but was never the same. Hopefully he will be next year.

It happens. People have to deal with injuries. But the result was that McNeese started the season with two game breaking deep threat wideouts but by midway through the first quarter against Texas State they didn't have that anymore. And they needed for their offense to play at an extremely high level because their defense wasn't very strong. I've seen others write that it completely changed the way people could defend their offense and I agree. They still did very well offensively but it wasn't the same offense that gave North Carolina fits to open the season.

JohnStOnge
December 23rd, 2008, 01:19 PM

I wouldn't say TSU kicked McNeese's butt. I'd say that both defenses were pretty helpless and McNeese made more mistakes than Texas State did.

Regardless, I know that there is a kind of tradition in polls where if two teams have the same record or close and one won head to head the one that won is ranked higher most of the time. But it should be noted that most objective power rating systems also have McNeese rated higher than Texas State. If you go to http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm you'll see that, as of December 13, McNeese was rated higher than Texas State by 34 of the 37 power ratings systems listed. Some of those power rating systems just look at who teams beat and who they lost to. Others also consider how much they won and lost by. But the overwhelming majority of them calculated McNeese's overall performance as more impressive than Texas State's even though Texas State beat McNeese head to head.

And that's not a self-evidently impossible situation. I don't think anybody needs to think too long or hard to realize that the best team does not always win.

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2008, 02:18 PM

Ordinarily, I'd agree that an 18-point lead is a solid indication of supremacy, but when the team trailing fumbles twice inside their opponents five-yard line prior to that 18-point lead, I wouldn't exactly all it a "solid beating."

I'd call that fortuitous bounces of the ball. But for those fumbles, it's a 6-point game heading into the fourth and you got outscored 22-7 in the fourth...

Historically, McNeese is a second half and fourth quarter team. You can use the "garbage time" argument all you want, but it just doesn't fly...

A solid beating is one where you've got your foot firmly on your opponents neck and all you have to do is twist ever-so-slightly....

You can't say that about that particular game.

Again, you won. Again, you got the Auto-bid. But "kick our asses" you did not....

Go...gate
December 23rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Glad to see that Colgate was not blown out of the poll altogether. Despite what some have said, we did have a pretty decent season.

JohnStOnge
December 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
A note on this kind of thing: The final regular season AP, ESPN Coaches, and Harris Polls all have Georgia Tech ranked higher than Virginia Tech even though Virginia Tech beat Georgia Tech head to head and went on to win the ACC title. Georgia Tech is also rated higher by the majority of power rating systems at http://www.mratings.com/cf/compare.htm . The records are similar; with Georgia Tech at 9-3 and Virginia Tech at 9-4.

Then there's the Texas and Oklahoma thing. Texas didn't win the Big 12 championship; but that's almost certainly only because the Big 12 used the BCS rankings to decide who would be in the league championship game.

BobcatJH
December 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Ordinarily, I'd agree that an 18-point lead is a solid indication of supremacy, but when the team trailing fumbles twice inside their opponents five-yard line prior to that 18-point lead, I wouldn't exactly all it a "solid beating."

I'd call that fortuitous bounces of the ball. But for those fumbles, it's a 6-point game heading into the fourth and you got outscored 22-7 in the fourth...

Historically, McNeese is a second half and fourth quarter team. You can use the "garbage time" argument all you want, but it just doesn't fly...

A solid beating is one where you've got your foot firmly on your opponents neck and all you have to do is twist ever-so-slightly....

You can't say that about that particular game.

Again, you won. Again, you got the Auto-bid. But "kick our asses" you did not....

Ok, we did not kick your $sses, but we did beat you (in that gorgeous town of Lake Charles) and finish higher in the SLC standings.

Get your boys some stick-em for next season.

Bottom line, McNeese being ranked ahead of us is a joke.

More Cowbell!!!

BirdieJack
December 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
SDSU should be ranked IMO.

Thanks HensRock...I must agree. xsmhx

In 2013, maybe we'll learn to replace the toughest schedule(s) with a bit easier schedule. I hate to admit it, but SDSU probably learned it's lesson this year, even though as a fan...I loved seeing battles between top 25 teams almost every week.

How many days until the Georgie Southern game at CAS?????

BTW...I heard that in the search for our new Athletic Director(Dr. Oien is retiring in April and should have the Football Field named after him ASAP, IMO), there will be at least ONE requirement...He will come from a Big-Time Football school.
I LOVE TO HEAR THAT!!!!xsmiley_wix

Go Jacks!!

FormerPokeCenter
December 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ok, we did not kick your $sses, but we did beat you (in that gorgeous town of Lake Charles) and finish higher in the SLC standings.

Get your boys some stick-em for next season.

Bottom line, McNeese being ranked ahead of us is a joke.

More Cowbell!!!

Having grown up in South Texas and having spent time in San Marcos, I find it funny that you're disparaging Lake Charles.

It should be noted that most of the tourists who "flock" to San Marcos are either train buffs who like to see sleepy little hamlets where the train still disrupts daily life, or spelunkers who think the best featurs are underground, like the WonderCave.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but San Marcos isn't exactly a beautiful little hamlet. Hell, the only character and charm to be found anywhere around there is in New Braunfels....

ViennaSpider
December 23rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Considering some of the teams above them, W&M is ranked way too low.

BEAR
December 23rd, 2008, 04:49 PM

Reppies for the Center! It takes a former player to realize the battle is won on the field. The Mc-Tex game was mainly a game of critical mistakes and Mc got their game together too late. Just like UCA did v. Nicholls in the 4th. Oh well, it's history now. With Nathan Dick possibly transfering to one of our schools, the next year might be just as fun! xnodx xlolx

Bearkats94
December 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
NDSU is deserving of votes. Personally I think they were a better team than Western Illinois, and WIU got more votes.

I guess I don't get how McNeese could be rated ahead of Texas State-San Marcos? I mean Texas State beat McNeese and finished ahead of them in the conference. They made the playoffs, but I guess a loss to the national runner-up Montana meant more than all of the other stuff.

Maybe it was like the UT vs. OU game. It happen to early in the season they forgot.xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

Some of you guys really have it in for NDSU. They recieved less votes than SDSU and WIU, and finished with a 6-5 record, so what's the big deal. They also beat 1 playoff team this year.

Gil Dobie
December 23rd, 2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks UNIFanSince1983 xthumbsupx

xoutofrepx

Screamin_Eagle174
December 23rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Eastern still got some votes... Thanks Weber! xthumbsupx

BEAR
December 23rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
12. Central Arkansas Bears 10-2 1,072 11

Da....Bears! Da Bears..Da Bears..Da Bears!

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:-DWjQ2vimx2qiM:http://www.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/TV/9805/28/hartman.snl/farley.jpg