PDA

View Full Version : Cal Poly HC Ellerson to Army

Musty
December 22nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
According to this article from the Hudson Valley-based Times Herald-Record, it's nearly a done deal:

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081222/SPORTS36/81222040/-1/SPORTS

See also:

http://forums.recordonline.com/th-army?entry=526

JackTwice
December 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
Wow, big hit for Poly. Probably a nice fit for Army. Believes in smaller, faster, smarter players working within his schemes.

ngineer
December 22nd, 2008, 10:35 PM
Yes, playing with undersized players requires special schemes, so it seems like a good fit, as I recall CP's line was on the small-side. Tough environment to win in, though. Good luck...and have him call our AD---we'd love to renew our rivalry with the Black Knights of the Hudson!!xnodx

malibudude
December 22nd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Not good news for the 'Stangs. No sir, not good news at all.

TXST_CAT
December 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
After seeing the success Navy has enjoyed the last few years I knew it was only a matter of time before Army went after an Option Coach who can turn things around. I hope he leaves a capable HC at Cal Poly to keep their success going.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 22nd, 2008, 11:36 PM
Drop and give me 20 maggots! xsmiley_wix

Benne
December 23rd, 2008, 08:37 AM
http://anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54136&page=3

So... Who's going to Army?

I'm looking at you, Wofford and Cal-Poly fans.

xrulesx

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Tough loss for Cal Poly but this is just what Army needs. An experienced coach who runs the option and can be creative. Not sure if he will have a ton of success on the plains of the Hudson, but I think this is the first good hire by Army since they canned Bob Sutton (now the DC of the NY Jets and a great guy)

terrierbob
December 23rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Glad Mr. Ayers loves his job.

MplsBison
December 23rd, 2008, 09:16 AM
Tough loss for Cal Poly but this is just what Army needs. An experienced coach who runs the option and can be creative. Not sure if he will have a ton of success on the plains of the Hudson, but I think this is the first good hire by Army since they canned Bob Sutton (now the DC of the NY Jets and a great guy)

Agree 100%.

Army needs to run the triple option and abandon the west coast.

Ellerson's defense might be an improvement for them as well.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
How old is Ellerson?

Army faithful are concerned about his ability to recruit nationwide.

UNIFanSince1983
December 23rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
It is going to be tough to recruit to Army.

And I thought Army was running the triple option this year? At least that is what I saw in the Army-Navy game.

I think this is a great hire for Army! Hopefully in the next few years they can finally beat those Midshipmen.

Franks Tanks
December 23rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
It is going to be tough to recruit to Army.

And I thought Army was running the triple option this year? At least that is what I saw in the Army-Navy game.

I think this is a great hire for Army! Hopefully in the next few years they can finally beat those Midshipmen.

They did--just not very well

poly51
December 23rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
How old is Ellerson?

Ellerson is 55. His father and brother went to West Point. His brother was a captain on the football team. Here is a link to the San Luis Obispo Tribune article.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/567720.html

Lehigh Football Nation
December 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

If that's what the Army faithful are worried about, then they're even more dim than I thought. They ought to be sending daily emails to the athletic department begging them to take Ellerson after the Stan Brock fiasco.

I saw the UNH/Army game this year, and I was absolutely shocked how ill-prepared they were to play New Hampshire - and I was also shocked that they in effect gave up during the course of the game. Losing to an FCS team was not unexpected, but being so dominated in all phases, especially the physical aspect, was inexcusable.

I mean, Ellerson is a proven winner, he's created an FCS powerhouse, and has shown creativity and an ability to get NFL-caliber athletes to Cal Poly. To sniff at that and say that somehow Ellerson isn't a "big enough boy" to take on the mighty responsibilities of Army makes the Ivy League and Patriot League presidents seem like folks working the manufacturing line in comparison.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Interesting. Seems like a good fit but he's got to be willing to tell those same generals who hire him that the Army team is HIS to run, NOT the generals. That has been a problem at Army for some time.

Reign of Terrier
December 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM
Glad Mr. Ayers loves his job.

AMEN

GrizFanStuckInUtah
December 23rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
Interesting. Seems like a good fit but he's got to be willing to tell those same generals who hire him that the Army team is HIS to run, NOT the generals. That has been a problem at Army for some time.

You can't tell the Army what to do until you get promoted to PFC (Proud Friggin Civilian):D

NoCoDanny
December 23rd, 2008, 11:16 PM
I'd like to personally recomend Scott Downing as your next head coach, the guy is amazing!

henfan
December 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I saw the UNH/Army game this year, and I was absolutely shocked how ill-prepared they were to play New Hampshire - and I was also shocked that they in effect gave up during the course of the game. Losing to an FCS team was not unexpected, but being so dominated in all phases, especially the physical aspect, was inexcusable.

I was amazed at those things and the sheer size difference between UNH's O-line and Army tiny D-line. UNH manhandled and eventually wore down Army on both sides of the ball and that's where that game was won, IMO. I didn't feel that the USMA players quit, however.

Ellerson's going to have to somehow recruit bigger/stronger/faster players to West Point. It can be done.

slostang
December 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM
I was amazed at those things and the sheer size difference between UNH's O-line and Army tiny D-line. UNH manhandled and eventually wore down Army on both sides of the ball and that's where that game was won, IMO. I didn't feel that the USMA players quit, however.

Ellerson's going to have to somehow recruit bigger/stronger/faster players to West Point. It can be done.

I would bet that Ellerson will recruit stronger, faster and more athletic players to Army. I do not believe bigger will be his number one criteria though. Ellerson will go after athletes that may not fit the ideal size to go to USC, Notre Dame, LSU ect...., but have the athletic skill. He will then run the triple option and double eagle flex defense that utilizes speed more than size.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 24th, 2008, 09:34 AM
If that's what the Army faithful are worried about, then they're even more dim than I thought. They ought to be sending daily emails to the athletic department begging them to take Ellerson after the Stan Brock fiasco.

I mean, Ellerson is a proven winner, he's created an FCS powerhouse, and has shown creativity and an ability to get NFL-caliber athletes to Cal Poly. To sniff at that and say that somehow Ellerson isn't a "big enough boy" to take on the mighty responsibilities of Army makes the Ivy League and Patriot League presidents seem like folks working the manufacturing line in comparison.

Their concern stemmed from the fact that all but a few players on the Cal Poly roster are from Cal. The other candidate for the Army job is Ed Warinner, OC at Kansas.

Beleive me, Army fans are into self-loathing, they are well aware of the problems they have had. They also know that the last 1AA coach that took the Army job, last name Berry can't remember his first name, did a poor job and was fired, so there is some skepticism of FCS coaches. Most Army folks will be happy with Ellerson if he is chosen.