PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to move the NC game....

GrizzlyEdd
December 22nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
I have some friends from a local eating establishment here in Missoula, MT who are either students or former students of the U of Montana. They carpooled to Chatty for the game. They stayed in either a Super 8 or Motel 6, can't remember for sure.... anyway, after the game the Griz fans and some Richmond fans were at a party. They were soon joined by some locals.

The result of some bets between Spider/Griz fans, the losers had to jump into the pool. All obliged and the bet was paid. After some Spider fans ended up in the pool as well, one of the locals got pushed into the pool. The locals punched Griz students (don't know if any Spider fans got hit), a camera, a purse, and $200 was stolen from the room by these locals as they made a break for it. I don't know if any of the Spider fans lost anything or not.

I realize that all communities have their thugs but this kind of crap is totally not acceptable by anyone. I hope that the Spider fans came out of this ok.. maybe some Spider posters on here have heard of this incident.

I think it is high time for the NC game to be moved to a point midway in the country. Doesn't have to be Las Vegas as some have suggested. There plenty of venues in the middle of the country that could and would host our NC game that would be more centrally located for all teams.

For the most part, reports from Griz fans who attended the game and past games in Chatty, are fairly positive... This just hit too close to home for me. Richmond and Montana fans were enjoying each other's company and admiring each other's team and university... This honest fun was ruined by Chatty locals...

TIME FOR A CHANGE.....xmadxxflamemadxxpissedx

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I doubt the crime rate is any lower in other potential host cities.

I got robbed in 40,000-person Cedar Falls, Iowa. It happens.

ASUMountaineer
December 22nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
Boone has relatively low crime. I vote for Kidd Brewer. xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
December 22nd, 2008, 09:21 PM

uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.................NO!

Maverick
December 22nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
GrizzlyEdd,
Please list these cities that "could and would" host the game so that we can see what level of security they have in comparison to Chattanooga.

After all the crime in Vegas that is shown on CSI, I don't see that as a viable city!! :D :D xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

Then I would start calling ASU "Marshall."

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2008, 09:24 PM
GrizzlyEdd,
Please list these cities that "could and would" host the game so that we can see what level of security they have in comparison to Chattanooga.

After all the crime in Vegas that is shown on CSI, I don't see that as a viable city!! :D :D xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix xsmiley_wix

Check into Birmingham, Ala. That would be a lot of fun!xlolx xlolx xlolx

paward
December 22nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Check into Birmingham, Ala. That would be a lot of fun!xlolx xlolx xlolx

Birmingham have crime there too!

GrizzlyEdd
December 22nd, 2008, 09:38 PM
I am glad you all are having so much fun at the expense of some Montana and Richmond fans.... I didn't suggest Las Vegas.... I do realize there is crime in YOUR home towns... I am not an idiot as you might think. Just because I am from Montana, it doesn't mean I am stupid... at least I don't laugh and make fun of other's misery and bad times... Course, even AGS has its thugs...

ursus arctos horribilis
December 22nd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Been to all of em' in Chatty and never had any kind of problem with the locals except for the fact that they come up to you on the streets and tell you that they are glad to have you there and they are always happy when Montana makes the game. The food is fantastic, the bars are extremely accomodating, the transportation is free on the buses to get around and if you want me to have a quick analysis of the crime between Chatty and any other city that you think would be suitable I can have Travelinman do that for you in a New York minute. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the guy that got punched was involved in pushing the local in the pool against his will. He was no part of the bet and it's payoff and got exactly from the local what he would have gotten from me for the same offense, except for the money missing.

SideLine Shooter
December 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
Birmingham have crime there too!

I know. That is why I suggested Birmingham.xeyebrowx

proasu89
December 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I know. That is why I suggested Birmingham.xeyebrowx

But they also have Dreamlandsxthumbsupx For the undeducated, Dreamlands is a BBQ joint and not a strip joint as the name might implyxlolx

I was next to some locals in 06 and they were
sh!#faced and obnoxious to every ASU fan in our area. It turned out to be quite fun watching all 10 of them slink out when Corey picked off the pass to seal the win. Their actions had no impact on my feelings that the city goes out of it's way to make the game as enjoyable as possible.

GrizzlyEdd
December 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM
Been to all of em' in Chatty and never had any kind of problem with the locals except for the fact that they come up to you on the streets and tell you that they are glad to have you there and they are always happy when Montana makes the game. The food is fantastic, the bars are extremely accomodating, the transportation is free on the buses to get around and if you want me to have a quick analysis of the crime between Chatty and any other city that you think would be suitable I can have Travelinman do that for you in a New York minute. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that the guy that got punched was involved in pushing the local in the pool against his will. He was no part of the bet and it's payoff and got exactly from the local what he would have gotten from me for the same offense, except for the money missing.

Gee nice post from a Griz fan... I forgot to mention that two MT female students were assulted..

griz8791
December 22nd, 2008, 10:45 PM
Geez, Edd, what happened to you guys was terrible but are you seriously holding the entire city accountable for it?

ursus arctos horribilis
December 22nd, 2008, 10:48 PM
Gee nice post from a Griz fan... I forgot to mention that two MT female students were assulted...

Yeah that's right you didn't mention it so don't try to use it now to paint me as a woman beater got it slick? I wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing match but since you did then I'll let you know that acting like Chatanooga is a bad place to host the game because one of your boys got punched is real, real weak. I have been involved in many altercations and I have probably been punched at least 100 times over the years and ALL of them were in either Helena, Missoula, Billings, Butte, or other places here in Montana. By using your incredible powers of specious reasoning maybe we should move the Grizzly home games to Colorado, or Utah, or maybe Wyoming as I've never been punched in any of those states. I'm a Griz fan that's been there many times and what happened in this instance is the first I've ever even heard of so stop acting like it's a BFD that a guy got punched for pushing someone that didn't want to go into the pool retaliated on said action. Now as far as the other stuff being stolen and so forth that's out of line and should have been reported to the police with a description if they knew for a fact that they stole the items in question. Why didn't the women report the assaults to the police as well?

walliver
December 22nd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Staying in a Motel 6 or Super 8 ANYWHERE is dangerous.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 10:56 PM
I have been involved in many altercations and I have probably been punched at least 100 times over the years

Note to self: Buy UAH a beer if I ever meet him and get on his good side.

The solution? Host the game in Cedar Falls, where no one has EVER been punched. Well, maybe donkey punched.

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 10:58 PM
Staying in a Motel 6 or Super 8 ANYWHERE is dangerous.

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Spend some time in the Midwest.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 22nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
Note to self: Buy UAH a beer if I ever meet him and get on his good side.

The solution? Host the game in Cedar Falls, where no one has EVER been punched. Well, maybe donkey punched.

If I ever get donkey punched then I think the actual punch will be of very little significance to the act precipitating it. Ceder Falls is out now too MP.

Bearkats94
December 22nd, 2008, 11:04 PM
Huntsville Texas is a good place. We also have a place for anyone that dose any kind of Crime to .;)

Mountain Panther
December 22nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
Huntsville Texas is a good place. We also have a place for anyone that dose any kind of Crime to .;)

How big is the stadium? Nearest airport?

Touchdown Yosef
December 22nd, 2008, 11:10 PM
I am glad you all are having so much fun at the expense of some Montana and Richmond fans.... I didn't suggest Las Vegas.... I do realize there is crime in YOUR home towns... I am not an idiot as you might think. Just because I am from Montana, it doesn't mean I am stupid... at least I don't laugh and make fun of other's misery and bad times... Course, even AGS has its thugs...

I don't think it is really an issue of anyone have fun at their expense but more being a bit sarcastic with you for holding an entire city responsible for something that could have happened anywhere at anytime to anybody. This unfortunate situation is not an indictment of the city of Chattanooga at all and is not "one more reason to move the game".

Every city has bad areas and typically cheap motels can be found in those areas and students and others on budgets look for cheap hotels. I would bet I know exactly what hotel it happened at by your description as I stayed there in 2005, it was so bad that fans waited for large groups of other fans they had never met to walk together, but I went back in 2006 and 2007 and discovered a much better side to the city.

Bottom line is that it was an unfortunate situation for those involved and I like everyone else hopes that the people who committed the crimes are brought to justice but in the mean time it does not qualify as a reason to move the game from Chatty.

(I am perfectly open to debating where the game should be played, I like Charleston)

Next year lets create a thread warning people where not to stay rather than a fairly asinine discussion of an unfortunate incident.

Touchdown Yosef
December 22nd, 2008, 11:17 PM
I have some friends from a local eating establishment here in Missoula, MT who are either students or former students of the U of Montana. They carpooled to Chatty for the game. They stayed in either a Super 8 or Motel 6, can't remember for sure.... anyway, after the game the Griz fans and some Richmond fans were at a party. They were soon joined by some locals.

The result of some bets between Spider/Griz fans, the losers had to jump into the pool. All obliged and the bet was paid. After some Spider fans ended up in the pool as well, one of the locals got pushed into the pool. The locals punched Griz students (don't know if any Spider fans got hit), a camera, a purse, and $200 was stolen from the room by these locals as they made a break for it. I don't know if any of the Spider fans lost anything or not.

I realize that all communities have their thugs but this kind of crap is totally not acceptable by anyone. I hope that the Spider fans came out of this ok.. maybe some Spider posters on here have heard of this incident.

I think it is high time for the NC game to be moved to a point midway in the country. Doesn't have to be Las Vegas as some have suggested. There plenty of venues in the middle of the country that could and would host our NC game that would be more centrally located for all teams.

For the most part, reports from Griz fans who attended the game and past games in Chatty, are fairly positive... This just hit too close to home for me. Richmond and Montana fans were enjoying each other's company and admiring each other's team and university... This honest fun was ruined by Chatty locals...

It really seems you don't like the geographic location of the game but are kind of grasping at straws for other reasons. Personally for what we have I think Chatty makes the most sense and gives everyone the best chance of attending.

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Nope, I think it's still better to have the NC on the east coast. The vast majority of NC teams are eastern time zone teams (naturally, there are far more teams in the east than in the west). Moving the NC to a place any more than 90º West makes no sense, even if it is a good tourist destination.

These kind of incidents would more likely occur in larger cities that are more attractive to tourists, anyways.

Bearkats94
December 22nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
How big is the stadium? Nearest airport?

The stands only hold 14,000, but the grass around the stadium could make it around 20,000. The nearest airport is about 60-70 miles around (Houston). The best thing is there is very little chance of ice and snow around here to.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics6/0/OJ/OJVPDDUOQTPNSPG.20080728185008.jpg

https://admin.xosn.com/pics8/0/NO/NOGBHIMQCAVAQBN.20080728185023.jpg

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics2/0/XY/XYXYVLVSCQJTGPM.20071011194308.jpg

McTailGator
December 23rd, 2008, 12:16 AM

Well I can name 20 or so good reasons to move it.

but I don't think I will find a city on this entire planet without a crime problem.

I once had my camera stolen from my camera bag as it hung on my sholder behind me...

I was touring Vatican City in Rome.

So you see, if it can happen there, it will happen any where.

JALMOND
December 23rd, 2008, 12:28 AM

Sounds like a wild party got a little too out of hand. Unfortunately, stuff like this happens just about everywhere. I've never been to Chatty myself, but I've always heard it is a nice little city.

You do have a point in that it would be nice to have the NC in a place that is a little easier to get to. Maybe a non-FCS city, if they would have it. St. Louis would be pretty centrally located. Atlanta really wouldn't be too bad either. It sure would look good for the ESPN crowd to have the top two FCS teams playing for the championship and both fan bases filling up a 50,000 seat NFL stadium.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Guess this should teach these kids they need to be mindful of where they go party and who with. When you make questionable decision, you usually get burned. I'm sure no alcohol was involved in the decision making process. :>) In the three years we've been to Chattanooga I've never heard of anything remotely like this happeneing.

whitey
December 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
So let me get this straight: A bunch of drunk people pushed another drunk person into a pool (in the middle of winter no less). Then the guy who probably didn't want to get pushed into the pool (or his friends) punched the people responsible for pushing said dude into the pool?

This is probably the best reason yet for moving the championship game.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM
So let me get this straight: A bunch of drunk people pushed another drunk person into a pool (in the middle of winter no less). Then the guy who probably didn't want to get pushed into the pool (or his friends) punched the people responsible for pushing said dude into the pool?

Memo to all, don't push people you don't know into pools. xreadx If you do be prepared for the consequences.

andy7171
December 23rd, 2008, 07:53 AM

Seriously!

GrizzlyEdd, it's unfortunate what happened to your friends,but drunk people fighting and stealing stuff is nothing new.

The way I understand it, Chatty is as close to the center of the FCS football world. And more importantly, they WANT to host it.

rudy1648
December 23rd, 2008, 08:01 AM

It sounds as though there may have been some alcohol involved in this post-game party. I have found that inviting the "locals" is not always such a good idea even when you are sober. Getting drunk with some folks that you do not know or have the slightest idea who they are is inviting trouble. Let's see,,,,check into a motel,,,get drunk with a bunch of folks from the opposing school,,,THEN invite a bunch of folks who are out roaming the streets to join you at the pool for some pool jumping. NOT A GOOD IDEA! Next time you are in Chatty,,,stay with your friends and enjoy the town.

JMU Newbill
December 23rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
People on this thread aren't serious are they? There's crime everywhere... even in Montana.

If you pushed me into a pool and I was not willing, chances are my friends would hit you too.

Just sayin..... don't act like it was just the "locals" fault.

bobbythekidd
December 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Memo to all, don't push people you don't know into pools. xreadx If you do be prepared for the consequences.
Yeah! They will take away the single largest revenue generating draw your city has.xlolx

This thread is weaker than my grandmother....and she died over 10 years ago.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah! They will take away the single largest revenue generating draw your city has.xlolx

This thread is weaker than my grandmother....and she died over 10 years ago.
I guess it's a two way street. xlolx If the game comes near here, I'll come party at a hotel and get pushed in the pool and proced to act a fool. xlolx

andy7171
December 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
I guess it's a two way street. xlolx If the game comes near here, I'll come party at a hotel and get pushed in the pool and proced to act a fool. xlolx

When the NC comes here to M&T Bank Stadium and some drunken fool pushes a local into the pool, people gonna get shot. xlolx

rob_p469
December 23rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah that's right you didn't mention it so don't try to use it now to paint me as a woman beater got it slick? I wasn't trying to turn this into a pissing match but since you did then I'll let you know that acting like Chatanooga is a bad place to host the game because one of your boys got punched is real, real weak. I have been involved in many altercations and I have probably been punched at least 100 times over the years and ALL of them were in either Helena, Missoula, Billings, Butte, or other places here in Montana. By using your incredible powers of specious reasoning maybe we should move the Grizzly home games to Colorado, or Utah, or maybe Wyoming as I've never been punched in any of those states. I'm a Griz fan that's been there many times and what happened in this instance is the first I've ever even heard of so stop acting like it's a BFD that a guy got punched for pushing someone that didn't want to go into the pool retaliated on said action. Now as far as the other stuff being stolen and so forth that's out of line and should have been reported to the police with a description if they knew for a fact that they stole the items in question. Why didn't the women report the assaults to the police as well?

Gee, ever stop to think why you were punched over 100 times? Sounds like a personal problem to me... If I were you, STOP PISSING PEOPLE OFF! No wonder people think all Montana folk are redneck idiots... sheesh

AshevilleApp2
December 23rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
Gee, ever stop to think why you were punched over 100 times? Sounds like a personal problem to me... If I were you, STOP PISSING PEOPLE OFF! No wonder people think all Montana folk are redneck idiots... sheesh

I think Ursus is a class act myself. xnodx Of course I've been called a redneck idiot as well, so what the hell do I know. xsmiley_wix

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM

Who gives a flying **** what you think? I never said how many were dealt out or why they came to fruition as that isn't what it was about. I can't help it if your a ***** and let people get away with crap when you're around. I don't and that sometimes leads into donneybrooks...a lot of them. Get it slappy? Run your mouth to someone in real life like you did there and I'm real sure you won't have a problem reaching that total rather quickly. Be a good boy and shut your mouth.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
I think Ursus is a class act myself. xnodx Of course I've been called a redneck idiot as well, so what the hell do I know. xsmiley_wix

I kinda chipped away at that in my last post though AA2.

WUTNDITWAA
December 23rd, 2008, 11:46 AM
When the NC comes here to M&T Bank Stadium and some drunken fool pushes a local into the pool, people gonna get shot. xlolx

Well, if the National Championship ever gets moved to Boone, this won't be a problem, as all pools in December are either empty, frozen or indoors. Move the game to Boone, where the worst crime committed in the last 10 years was when we tore down some goalposts and rammed them through Georgia Southern's bus. Oh, and stepped on some pizzas in the process. :D

bobbythekidd
December 23rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Well, if the National Championship ever gets moved to Boone, this won't be a problem, as all pools in December are either empty, frozen or indoors. Move the game to Boone, where the worst crime committed in the last 10 years was when we tore down some goalposts and rammed them through Georgia Southern's bus. Oh, and stepped on some pizzas in the process. :D
I doubt Boone has enough hotel rooms to meet the requirements to host the game.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2008, 12:13 PM
I doubt many people will be hanging out there. The same would happen in Tampa.

JMU DJ
December 23rd, 2008, 12:19 PM
People on this thread aren't serious are they? There's crime everywhere... even in Montana.

If you pushed me into a pool and I was not willing, chances are my friends would hit you too.

Just sayin..... don't act like it was just the "locals" fault.

I would point an laugh... as would the rest of your friends.

Move the game anywhere you are still going to have some drunk fan go over the line somehow. There's always going to be some complaint about the location. No way the FCS championship would sell out a stadium of 50,000 if we can't even sell out Nooga and no way you're convincing ATL locals to go see this game at the Georgia Dome when they won't even go out and support their own teams.

WUTNDITWAA
December 23rd, 2008, 12:32 PM
I doubt Boone has enough hotel rooms to meet the requirements to host the game.

See. Fewer hotels, fewer opportunities for people to get pushed into the pool. We do have a duck pond, though. A pool and a pond, actually. The pond would be good for the Montana folks. xwhistlex

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
See. Fewer hotels, fewer opportunities for people to get pushed into the pool. We do have a duck pond, though. A pool and a pond, actually. The pond would be good for the Montana folks. xwhistlex

Sounds ritzy!

WUTNDITWAA
December 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
Sounds ritzy!

Hey, any chance to throw in a Caddyshack quote. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
December 23rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Just read the first few posts in this thread so I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this and it strays from the original posters reason to move the game but here's my comment. I watched the game and was not impressed at all by the attendance. My god for a NC game at the FCS level it certainly didn't appear that the locals gave a crap about the game as the stands looked about like a high school football game. I didn't hear what the actual attendance was but it was not even close to capacity I'd be surprised if it was half full. I think many other cities could do a much better job supporting this game by actually showing up to watch it. Hell it was 64 degrees at game time according to the announcers. Not like it was below zero and snowing so nobody would show up. Maybe they need to alternate between a few cities. Just my xtwocentsx

proasu89
December 23rd, 2008, 02:25 PM

Sadly, that's not the case. Murder investigation going onxsmhx

http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5310&Itemid=1

elkmcc
December 23rd, 2008, 02:45 PM
Just read the first few posts in this thread so I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this and it strays from the original posters reason to move the game but here's my comment. I watched the game and was not impressed at all by the attendance. My god for a NC game at the FCS level it certainly didn't appear that the locals gave a crap about the game as the stands looked about like a high school football game. I didn't hear what the actual attendance was but it was not even close to capacity I'd be surprised if it was half full. I think many other cities could do a much better job supporting this game by actually showing up to watch it. Hell it was 64 degrees at game time according to the announcers. Not like it was below zero and snowing so nobody would show up. Maybe they need to alternate between a few cities. Just my xtwocentsx

The announced attendance at the game was 17,800 and if memory serves me right the stadium capacity of Finley Stadium is not over 22,000. You might not have noticed, and I haven't watched the replay of the game but I can tell you that the Montana side seemed close to capacity to me. The game atmosphere was very good and other then the score board keeper screwing up repeatly I thought the show was very professionally done.

As far as the city of Chattanooga as host of the game I don't think you could find more gracious and accomodating people anywhere in the county. I loved the time I spent in Chatty (2 Title games) and I found the people to rival the friendliness of the people of Butte, Montana (unquestionably the friendliest people in the world).

In defense of the locals of Chatty supporting the game, if you were at the game you would have noticed tailgate after tailgate of unbiased locals who extended their friendship and food and drink to any who asked.

I would never want to take the Title game away from the City of Chattanooga just because they are such great people. As long as Chatty wants the game, IMO they should be allowed to keep it.

89Hen
December 23rd, 2008, 03:04 PM
I think many other cities could do a much better job supporting this game by actually showing up to watch it.
BB, no offense intended at all, but that's just cheap talk. We've had posters go a lot further than you did and actually guarantee us that if they moved it here or there the attendance would be much greater from the locals. The only places that would most likely have better turnouts from locals would be places like Boone, Statesboro, Missoula.... where fans already show up for I-AA games. However, I'm not sure it's good to have the game in a place that's so remote that it's hard for many people to get to, or in a place where there's a pretty good chance the home team would actually make the NC. Otherwise we're back to the Marshall Invitational. xpeacex

813Jag
December 23rd, 2008, 03:09 PM
BB, no offense intended at all, but that's just cheap talk. We've had posters go a lot further than you did and actually guarantee us that if they moved it here or there the attendance would be much greater from the locals. The only places that would most likely have better turnouts from locals would be places like Boone, Statesboro, Missoula.... where fans already show up for I-AA games. However, I'm not sure it's good to have the game in a place that's so remote that it's hard for many people to get to, or in a place where there's a pretty good chance the home team would actually make the NC. Otherwise we're back to the Marshall Invitational. xpeacex
I agree with this point. For a game like this to be successful the locals have to back it and attend. Especially for a matchup between two teams that don't travel well. I know it's not FCS but the ACC title game is a good example, the city of Tampa talked a good game but they were banking on Florida St. or Miami or both. They crapped themselves when VaTech and BC made the game. They were giving tickets away for free and added various attractions to the game and well you see how that turned out. Chatty obviously wants and supports the game. Until someone else can do the same it should stay there. And a 50,000 or more seat stadium is not what this game needs.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
I respectfully disagree with BisonBacker and 813Jag -- I don't think it's the host city's role to fill in the seats not taken by the traveling fans. But 813Jag's right on the money about not putting this game in a 50,000 seat venue.

neersnbeers
December 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
[/SIZE]

Sadly, that's not the case. Murder investigation going onxsmhx

http://www.goblueridge.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5310&Itemid=1

Yup. Coke deal gone bad. Dude got burnt alive in the trunk of his own car. Wow!

ViennaSpider
December 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
As long as the weather continues to cooperate, I'm all for keeping the game in Chattanooga. We were treated great by the few locals that we met.

citdog
December 23rd, 2008, 04:18 PM
In chatty last year appaholic tried to rob me.......of something he called "my ass virginity"

BisonBacker
December 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
The announced attendance at the game was 17,800 and if memory serves me right the stadium capacity of Finley Stadium is not over 22,000. You might not have noticed, and I haven't watched the replay of the game but I can tell you that the Montana side seemed close to capacity to me. The game atmosphere was very good and other then the score board keeper screwing up repeatly I thought the show was very professionally done.

As far as the city of Chattanooga as host of the game I don't think you could find more gracious and accomodating people anywhere in the county. I loved the time I spent in Chatty (2 Title games) and I found the people to rival the friendliness of the people of Butte, Montana (unquestionably the friendliest people in the world).

In defense of the locals of Chatty supporting the game, if you were at the game you would have noticed tailgate after tailgate of unbiased locals who extended their friendship and food and drink to any who asked.

I would never want to take the Title game away from the City of Chattanooga just because they are such great people. As long as Chatty wants the game, IMO they should be allowed to keep it.

I'm just going by what I saw on TV. If you were at the game and they announced 17800 and you believe that was accurate then I'll go with that. I was just going by what I saw on ESPN2 and the one sideline that looked like it was not even half full. I've got the game on DVR so I could go back and look but if they had 17800 they all must have been sitting on the opposite side and that one side must have one hell of a capacity.

BisonBacker
December 23rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

I didn't have any location in mind when I made my post just pointing out what I saw on TV about what looked like sparse attendance. Announced was 17800 according to some that were there and they would know better if that was fairly accurate since in all fairness I only saw the one sidelines they showed on TV but man that side was dreadfully sparse.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM
In chatty last year appaholic tried to rob me.......of something he called "my ass virginity"

It's a shame it went down like that citdog when you would have gladly given it away.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 04:43 PM
I didn't have any location in mind when I made my post just pointing out what I saw on TV about what looked like sparse attendance. Announced was 17800 according to some that were there and they would know better if that was fairly accurate since in all fairness I only saw the one sidelines they showed on TV but man that side was dreadfully sparse.

I was there and remember them announcing 17,000+ as well but the Richmond side was pretty empty on the ends down by the 20's and the upper part of the stadium. The Montana side was pretty full though. Until you go there and see a game you don't get a feel for how good of a venue it is. I went to Marshall as well and had a good time and they had 30,000 in the stands but if they weren't in the title game I highly doubt they would have had more than 15 to 20,000, and Chattanooga is a better town to host for other reasons.

proasu89
December 23rd, 2008, 05:02 PM
Yup. Coke deal gone bad. Dude got burnt alive in the trunk of his own car. Wow!

Unfortunately this murder happened to a local pawn broker yesterday.

utcfan
December 23rd, 2008, 05:09 PM
1. Lets see some students get drunk and stupid, and **** happens, and its b/c the NC game is in Chattanooga? Love the logic.

2. Attendance: Chattanooga sold a lot of tickets to locals, but a pre-determined number on hold and the Montana and Richmond fans did not step up to the plate and buy the remaining tickets. I don't see that as Chattanooga's fought--I think we sold 10,000+ locally.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
1. Lets see some students get drunk and stupid, and **** happens, and its b/c the NC game is in Chattanooga? Love the logic.

2. Attendance: Chattanooga sold a lot of tickets to locals, but a pre-determined number on hold and the Montana and Richmond fans did not step up to the plate and buy the remaining tickets. I don't see that as Chattanooga's fought--I think we sold 10,000+ locally.

You're wrong on #2 there. Montana sold it's entire allotment out by Tuesday and then a lot of us bought extras from the App fans that had been holding them just in case. I bought four extra from a guy on this site. Judging by the # of Montana fans there I'd say we bought a lot more than what we had allotted to us.

griz8791
December 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
But definitely right on #1.

813Jag
December 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I respectfully disagree with BisonBacker and 813Jag -- I don't think it's the host city's role to fill in the seats not taken by the traveling fans. But 813Jag's right on the money about not putting this game in a 50,000 seat venue.
I don't think the host city is responsible 100 percent. But I do feel that they must play a large role, for that possible unfavorable matchup. Support by the host city is vital in neutral site games.

appsfan
December 23rd, 2008, 08:40 PM

1) I'm sorry you had a problem, but that can happen anywhere.
2) Chattanooga is in the center, geographically speaking, of the FCS universe.
3) I have always been treated well by the locals and they act as if the appreciate the fans visiting the city.
4) It be nice to have a bit larger venue, but the size is appropriate for most years.
5) If it were to be moved, where? Charleston, Memphis, Birmingham?

grayghost06
December 23rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
Who gives a flying **** what you think? I never said how many were dealt out or why they came to fruition as that isn't what it was about. I can't help it if your a ***** and let people get away with crap when you're around. I don't and that sometimes leads into donneybrooks...a lot of them. Get it slappy? Run your mouth to someone in real life like you did there and I'm real sure you won't have a problem reaching that total rather quickly. Be a good boy and shut your mouth.

Though it sounds like an unfortunate incident in Chatty, I had to comment on this Einstein's quote. Words between two parties don't lead to arrests and lawsuits but not being able to control your rage does. I'm amazed that some smart lawyer hasn't attached every asset you have by now. Must not enforce assault and battery statutes out there.

ursus arctos horribilis
December 23rd, 2008, 10:53 PM
Though it sounds like an unfortunate incident in Chatty, I had to comment on this Einstein's quote. Words between two parties don't lead to arrests and lawsuits but not being able to control your rage does. I'm amazed that some smart lawyer hasn't attached every asset you have by now. Must not enforce assault and battery statutes out there.

Self defense their brainiac, I learned a long time ago that you only use the reasonable amount of force to repel an attack. But you already knew that didn't you Nostradumbass. I'm sure you have all the answers, even if you don't ask the questions.

elcid96
December 23rd, 2008, 10:57 PM
The stands only hold 14,000, but the grass around the stadium could make it around 20,000. The nearest airport is about 60-70 miles around (Houston). The best thing is there is very little chance of ice and snow around here to.

https://admin.xosn.com/pics6/0/OJ/OJVPDDUOQTPNSPG.20080728185008.jpg

https://admin.xosn.com/pics8/0/NO/NOGBHIMQCAVAQBN.20080728185023.jpg

http://www.gobearkats.com/pics2/0/XY/XYXYVLVSCQJTGPM.20071011194308.jpg

Which high school team plays in this stadium?

neersnbeers
December 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

813Jag
December 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
TT will get you for that comment. xlolx

JayJ79
December 24th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Words between two parties don't lead to arrests and lawsuits

actually, I'm sure there are plenty of lawsuits out there based solely on words that were said.
There are alot of stupid and petty lawsuits out there.

JayJ79
December 24th, 2008, 11:11 AM

If by "locally", you are including App State fans, and other school's fans who bought tickets from the allotment not reserved for the two participating teams.....

There is no way that 10,000 people from the Chattanooga area itself bought tickets.

Not dissing the community at all, as I think Chatty shows good support of the game. I just don't think they're going to buy fully half of all available tickets (nor do I think they should, unless UTC is in the game)

Cocky
December 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Birmingham maybe an option?
http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/122915972369330.xml&coll=2

SU DOG
December 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Yep Cocky. Samford's new home. xlolx xlolx

Jerbearasu
December 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM

They should definitely move the game... One year there was a 30% chance of rain and that is just totally unacceptable.xeyebrowx xbawlingx xnonono2x

URfan28
December 25th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Was at the game and had a great time celebrating and partying before, during and after the game. I realize that it is a long way to travel for western teams and that is a bummer, but Chattanooga has embraced the game and done a nice job. I just hope to be back next year!!

bobbythekidd
December 25th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Was at the game and had a great time celebrating and partying before, during and after the game. I realize that it is a long way to travel for western teams and that is a bummer, but Chattanooga has embraced the game and done a nice job. I just hope to be back next year!!
Welcome UR28!! Merry Christmas.

utcfan
December 25th, 2008, 05:30 PM
There is no way that 10,000 people from the Chattanooga area itself bought tickets.

17,000 in attendance. I don't think Richmond and Montana combined to sell 7,000.

g-webb1994
December 26th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Chatty does a fine job.

Where else would you move it?

Charleston - the game at the Citadel? Pass.

Greenville - Paladin Stadium a fine facility, but the weather in December can be alot worse in the GSP than in Chatty.

Richmond - too damned cold

Charlotte - no host FCS team, and old Memorial Stadium is run down.

Oh the heck with it, let Statesboro, Cullowheeeeeee, and Boiling Springs battle it out for the game!xlolx

AppMan
December 28th, 2008, 08:22 AM
17,000 in attendance. I don't think Richmond and Montana combined to sell 7,000.

On TV it appeared there were more than 3,000 empty seats.

AppMan
December 28th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Chatty does a fine job.

Where else would you move it?

Charleston - the game at the Citadel? Pass.

Greenville - Paladin Stadium a fine facility, but the weather in December can be alot worse in the GSP than in Chatty.

Richmond - too damned cold

Charlotte - no host FCS team, and old Memorial Stadium is run down.

Oh the heck with it, let Statesboro, Cullowheeeeeee, and Boiling Springs battle it out for the game!xlolx

Once The Citadel gets the other side of that stadium finished, there won't be many nicer facilities in the nation of that size.

Rekdiver
December 29th, 2008, 09:55 AM
My 1st two choices are San Diego and anywhere in Florida (but Jackosnville)?

No domes!

Charlotte would be good but weather could be as bad as Chatty but far more to do here.

You've got to find a destination that would entice people to go for more than the game.

chatty has done okay but its not a destination city. A change of scenery would be good.